Menu

8 Sights Every American Should See

So, Budget Travel lists 8 sights every American should see... I don't quite agree with their list, but how many have you seen?

http://www.budgettravel.com/bt-dyn/content/article/2009/09/08/AR2009090802201.html?wpisrc=newsletter

For those not wanting to click, the 8 are:

Sears Tower

Gettysburg

Yellowstone

New York Harbor

Monticello

Graceland

Pearl Harbor

Ebenezer Baptist Church

We've seen, but not been up in, the Sears Tower, live near (and have been to) Gettysburg, have gone to Yellowstone twice, seen NY Harbor, and been to Pearl Harbor, so that gives us 5 of the 8. I thoroughly disagree with Graceland and have no desire to go there. The other two we may or may not go to at some point... We prefer nature. My top one on this list is Yellowstone...

I'd have to think before I could make a Top 8 myself - there's so much to choose from.

Well, I've been past New York Harbor, but I didn't stop. The same goes for Graceland (which I have no desire to explore further). I've been to Monticello, and I've been to Ebenezer Baptist Church

I doubt I'll ever make it to Pearl Harbor. While I wouldn't mind seeing it, I don't have a strong enough desire to fly that far.

Pearl Harbor, Yellowstone, and we drove by Graceland (no desire to stop).

I don't like that list at all, really. I agree where is the Grand Canyon? How about some of the super cool national parks? I guess if I'm going to do "budget traveling" I want to see the great outdoors.

Possibly the coolest, and my ds wants to do this so badly, is to be in four states at one time. I'm a geography nut and to be able to point at a map and say I was RIGHT THERE, in all those states at one time is pretty cool. :D

Yeah, uh, I'm not getting this list at all. :confused: It doesn't correlate to the great sites in the US in any way. Suppose I should go click on the article and read it - it must have to do with being cheap to get/stay there.

Grand Canyon is cheap. What about the Golden Gate Bridge? I'm certainly not as well traveled as so many of you but I have seen some really glorious parts of our country that have made me appreciate both God's creation and man's innovation. Sure I'd like to see more on this list than I have, but it's not a particularly good list imo.

:001_smile:

Pearl Harbor, Yellowstone, and we drove by Graceland (no desire to stop).

I don't like that list at all, really. I agree where is the Grand Canyon? How about some of the super cool national parks? I guess if I'm going to do "budget traveling" I want to see the great outdoors.

Possibly the coolest, and my ds wants to do this so badly, is to be in four states at one time. I'm a geography nut and to be able to point at a map and say I was RIGHT THERE, in all those states at one time is pretty cool. :D

You can be in 4 states at once in AZ-CO-NM-UT. We have driven by the actual road to get to the 4 corners but I've never been able to talk dh into stopping. :(

The Grand Canyon is in northern AZ.

You can be in 4 states at once in AZ-CO-NM-UT. We have driven by the actual road to get to the 4 corners but I've never been able to talk dh into stopping. :(

I did that as a child. I found the picture a few years ago, I was about 8. It's my reminder that you can exist in 4 states at once and survive. (As an adult it's reflective of 4 mental states, not physical ones. :tongue_smilie:)

So, Budget Travel lists 8 sights every American should see... I don't quite agree with their list, but how many have you seen?

http://www.budgettravel.com/bt-dyn/content/article/2009/09/08/AR2009090802201.html?wpisrc=newsletter

Sears Tower

Gettysburg

Yellowstone

New York Harbor

Monticello

Graceland

Pearl Harbor

Ebenezer Baptist Church

We've seen, but not been up in, the Sears Tower, live near (and have been to) Gettysburg, have gone to Yellowstone twice, seen NY Harbor, and been to Pearl Harbor, so that gives us 5 of the 8. I thoroughly disagree with Graceland and have no desire to go there. The other two we may or may not go to at some point... We prefer nature. My top one on this list is Yellowstone...

I'd have to think before I could make a Top 8 myself - there's so much to choose from.

I've only been to Gettysburg.

I did the 4 corners --alone-- when I drove from Phoenix to Denver when I was in college.

Beautiful country.

Well, I *have* been to Graceland, lol. elvis.gif

(And Pearl Harbor & Gettysburg.)

I saw a snippet of NY harbor once. Does that count? (I was really too busy shopping & eating in NYC to spend time looking at the harbor.)

Like others, I have traveled to many neat places in the US. But, every list is different, I suppose. LOL.

I would also say that I haven't been a lot of places either for someone my age. I have been to the four corners (the fact that I live in Colorado helps, but I am way up a the north end ... not anywhere near the corner). I've also been to the Grand Canyon, Mesa Verda, the Great Sand Dunes (a big sandbox ... yippee ... LOL). I really enjoyed Mesa Verde and the four corners. I didn't care much for the Grand Canyon. Oh ... and I have also been to (and up in) the arch in St. Louis, Missouri.

Like others, I have traveled to many neat places in the US. But, every list is different, I suppose. LOL.

So, what would be on the perfect list?

The Empire State Building

The Statue of Liberty

The White House

The Capitol Building

The St. Louis Arch

Golden Gate Bridge

Sears Tower

Pearl Harbor

The Alamo

Niagra Falls

Great Smoky Mountains

Golden Gate Bridge

Yellowstone

What else?

I did that as a child. I found the picture a few years ago, I was about 8. It's my reminder that you can exist in 4 states at once and survive. (As an adult it's reflective of 4 mental states, not physical ones. :tongue_smilie:)

My family stopped and did this when I was a child too. I think my dad has the picture some where. (I like the mental states comment)

Like other posters I would add a few:

Grand Canyon

St. Louis Arch

Everglades or the Florida Keys

The Redwoods

Mt. Rushmore

My family stopped and did this when I was a child too. I think my dad has the picture some where. (I like the mental states comment)

Like other posters I would add a few:

Grand Canyon

St. Louis Arch

Everglades or the Florida Keys

The Redwoods

Mt. Rushmore

Excellent additions!

Interior monologue: "Should I post and ask what the heck Ebenezer Baptist Church is and why it's on the list? No, that would expose my ignorance among fellow homeschoolers. I'll just Google it. No, I shouldn't be ashamed that I have no clue, as a pretty educated American who has been to 4 of the things on this list, where on earth that church is and why it's on the list...hmmm...."

Well, here are a few places/things I've visited that might be interesting to add to a list:

Volcano Nat'l Park

Mt. McKinley

Mt. Ranier

Mt. St. Helens

The Rockies

Hiking to the westernmost point of the continental US

Going north of the arctic circle

Tongass Nat'l Forest

The Cascades

The Grand Canyon

Las Vegas (:lol: -- I still believe Thomas Edison would be totally blown-away by Vegas at night)

Mesa Verde

Four Corners (nothing to see, but I suppose it's neat enough to say you did it)

Monument Valley

Cape Canaveral

NYC

Washington D.C.

Williamsburg

Philadephia

Boston

Charleston, S.C.

Hollywood

the Redwoods in CA

the Golden Gate Bridge

the Everglades

the Mississippi River

Biltmore House

the Appalachain Trail

canals (C&O or others)

an Indian/Native American reservation

Route 66

petroglyphs

Petrified Forest

Hovenweep

seeing native wildlife in any state

swimming in the Atlantic, the Pacific, and the Gulf of Mexico

Death Valley

etc....

There are many other places I haven't seen & would like to go....

to visit all 50 states

the Great Lakes

the plains

Yellowstone

Chicago

the easternmost point of the continental US

etc....

various things here :lol: (yes, really -- I love the goofy & offbeat as well as the beautiful & well-known)

(And that's not including all the places I want to see around the world too. Guess I'd better get busy winning the lottery! :D)

What, this is the budget travel list and they left out

the world's biggest ball of string???!!!! Go figure...

I was coming on to say Mt Rushmore & the Everglades, but someone beat me to it, so I'll add the Badlands of South Dakota and the sugar-white sands of the Emerald Coast (NW Florida, specifically Destin and eastward).

And Pike's Peak, that's a pretty neat thing and not expensive to visit.

Also, Capulin Volcano National Park in northern New Mexico is pretty cool, maybe not list-worthy but we all enjoyed studying a real volcano here in the lower half of the lower 48.

Interior monologue: "Should I post and ask what the heck Ebenezer Baptist Church is and why it's on the list? No, that would expose my ignorance among fellow homeschoolers. I'll just Google it. No, I shouldn't be ashamed that I have no clue, as a pretty educated American who has been to 4 of the things on this list, where on earth that church is and why it's on the list...hmmm...."

I've lived in GA almost all my life, approximately 2-3 hours from Atlanta, and I've never seen it, nor do I feel any particular compulsion to do so. There are LOTS of other places I would've put on the "must see list" instead of Ebenezer (or Graceland, for that matter :p) --the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, Cape Canaveral... just to name a few.

Well, here are a few places/things I've visited that might be interesting to add to a list:

Volcano Nat'l Park

Mt. McKinley

Mt. Ranier

Mt. St. Helens

The Rockies

Tongass Nat'l Forest

The Cascades

The Grand Canyon

Las Vegas (:lol: -- I still believe Thomas Edison would be totally blown-away by Vegas at night)

Mesa Verde

Monument Valley

Cape Canaveral

NYC

Washington D.C.

Williamsburg

Philadephia

Boston

Charleston, S.C.

Hollywood

the Redwoods in CA

the Golden Gate Bridge

the Everglades

the Mississippi River

Biltmore House

the Appalachain Trail

canals (C&O or others)

Route 66

petroglyphs

Petrified Forest

Hovenweep

Death Valley

etc....

to visit all 50 states

the Great Lakes

the plains

Yellowstone

Chicago

etc....

various things here :lol: (yes, really -- I love the goofy & offbeat as well as the beautiful & well-known)

(And that's not including all the places I want to see around the world too. Guess I'd better get busy winning the lottery! :D)

You have been everywhere! Cool!!

Volcano Nat'l Park

Mt. McKinley

Mt. Ranier

Mt. St. Helens

The Rockies

Tongass Nat'l Forest

The Cascades

The Grand Canyon

Mesa Verde

Monument Valley

Cape Canaveral

NYC

Washington D.C.

Williamsburg

Philadephia

Boston

Charleston, S.C.

Hollywood

the Redwoods in CA

the Golden Gate Bridge

the Everglades

the Mississippi River

Biltmore House

the Appalachain Trail

canals (C&O or others)

Route 66

petroglyphs

Petrified Forest

Hovenweep

Death Valley

etc....

to visit all 50 states

the Great Lakes

the plains

Yellowstone

Chicago

etc....

that's a comprehensive list! but which would list as the TOP 10?

my problem is I've seen several of the "top ten" things but get there and say "this is IT? :001_huh: what's all the hoopla?"

here's some that would be on my list:

Manmade:

Mt Rushmore

DC monuments/mall/ National Cathedral [can all be seen in one day]

Statue of Liberty

Hoover Dam

NASA -Houston

Natural:

grand canyon

redwood forest

yellowstone/ old faithful

dh says: the trainride from Durango to Silverton --would that be a combo entry? :lol:

You have been everywhere! Cool!!

Nah, it's funny because I feel like there is so much I haven't seen yet, lol. (Like the entire middle-part of the US.) And, I often feel like I've seen more of the world than of the US.

I've been very lucky to see the things I've seen & have the travels I've had....

Hoping I get to continue to travel throughout my life.... :001_smile: The world is such a beautiful place & I love to get out there & see it.

Sears Tower

Gettysburg

Yellowstone

New York Harbor

Monticello

Graceland

Pearl Harbor

Ebenezer Baptist Church

I've been to the top of the Sears Tower several times, Yellowstone many times, Graceland once, and Pearl Harbor once. I don't get why Graceland is on the list, either. I would love to see some of the Civil War sites but that is the opposite end of the country.

Janet

Most awesome? Yellowstone. Most soul-shattering? Pearl Harbor.

I totally agree with you...

If I had to make my own list? That is a toughie, but only Yellowstone, Pearl Harbor, and Gettysburg would stay on it from their 8 (presuming they are picking spots AMERICANS should see based on heritage and/or beauty).

So, I need 5 more...

I'd go with Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, etc for one of the 5 (no particular order) as that would give a sense of the pre-revolution/revolution days. This would complement Gettysburg and Pearl Harbor.

I'd pick Washington DC and the Smithsonian Museums. One should visit their own capital and you've paid your entrance to the museums annually through your tax dollars making it free when you get there.

Pike's Peak - knowing America the Beautiful was written there - and getting the understanding why.

Bryce Canyon - far more beautiful than the GC, but if one's heading there, combine it with a trip to Zion and the GC to get a 3 for 1.

Sequoia NP - the trees there are incredible... and since we're combining, Sequoia is near Yosemite and not too far from San Francisco to get a feel for California.

That makes 8. Other sights well worth seeing...

Badlands NP (SD) - can combine with Mt Rushmore, but we definitely preferred the Badlands

Acadia NP (ME) - rugged east coast at its best

1000 Islands (NY) - yes, you can fit 1864 islands into one small area of river - a spectacular blue, clean river that screams gorgeous back to you. Swimming, boating, and enjoying the site here is incredible on a nice summer day. Count the islands if you dare... and to be an island it has to have at least 2 trees on it - skip the little rocks.

Carlsbad Caverns (NM) - you'll be spoiled here... once you've seen the best you'll always be comparing other caverns to this one. Ask me how I know...

Mt St Helen's + Mt Rainier (WA) - see the incredible power of nature's exploding volcanoes and it's power to heal

Volcanoes NP (HI) - see the power and beauty of an ongoing non-explosive volcano - see the latest earth being made, and then enjoy the other sights of HI

Kauai (HI) - while you're in HI, take a trip to Kauai - it's simply gorgeous - the Garden Isle

Niagara Falls (NY) - not the tallest, but due to volume, a spectacular waterfall. Definitely see it from Goat Island (NY)

Florida Keys - the tropics and their beauty (sort of) in the US. Stop by the Everglades on your way there or back

Death Valley (CA) - seeing the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere - and standing there - does give one a neat feeling

Crater Lake (OR) - simply gorgeous - simply gorgeous - the boat trip on the lake is well worth it if you can handle the hike back up. While there, take a trip over to Oregon's coast and head north - it's spectacular, esp Cannon Beach.

Mesa Verde (CO) - WOW - how did they survive in those cliff dwellings?

4 Corners (NM, AZ, UT, CO) - it is neat to stand there - just because

I'm sure there are many more that I'm just not thinking of this morning. We've been to 49 of the 50 states (need Alaska) and there's not a one of them I couldn't find something interesting in... I'd take another cross country road trip in a heartbeat if we could afford it.

I totally agree with you...

If I had to make my own list? That is a toughie, but only Yellowstone, Pearl Harbor, and Gettysburg would stay on it from their 8 (presuming they are picking spots AMERICANS should see based on heritage and/or beauty).

So, I need 5 more...

I'd go with Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, etc for one of the 5 (no particular order) as that would give a sense of the pre-revolution/revolution days. This would complement Gettysburg and Pearl Harbor.

I'd pick Washington DC and the Smithsonian Museums. One should visit their own capital and you've paid your entrance to the museums annually through your tax dollars making it free when you get there.

Pike's Peak - knowing America the Beautiful was written there - and getting the understanding why.

Bryce Canyon - far more beautiful than the GC, but if one's heading there, combine it with a trip to Zion and the GC to get a 3 for 1.

Sequoia NP - the trees there are incredible... and since we're combining, Sequoia is near Yosemite and not too far from San Francisco to get a feel for California.

That makes 8. Other sights well worth seeing...

Badlands NP (SD) - can combine with Mt Rushmore, but we definitely preferred the Badlands

Acadia NP (ME) - rugged east coast at its best

1000 Islands (NY) - yes, you can fit 1864 islands into one small area of river - a spectacular blue, clean river that screams gorgeous back to you. Swimming, boating, and enjoying the site here is incredible on a nice summer day. Count the islands if you dare... and to be an island it has to have at least 2 trees on it - skip the little rocks.

Carlsbad Caverns (NM) - you'll be spoiled here... once you've seen the best you'll always be comparing other caverns to this one. Ask me how I know...

Mt St Helen's + Mt Rainier (WA) - see the incredible power of nature's exploding volcanoes and it's power to heal

Volcanoes NP (HI) - see the power and beauty of an ongoing non-explosive volcano - see the latest earth being made, and then enjoy the other sights of HI

Kauai (HI) - while you're in HI, take a trip to Kauai - it's simply gorgeous - the Garden Isle

Niagara Falls (NY) - not the tallest, but due to volume, a spectacular waterfall. Definitely see it from Goat Island (NY)

Florida Keys - the tropics and their beauty (sort of) in the US. Stop by the Everglades on your way there or back

Death Valley (CA) - seeing the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere - and standing there - does give one a neat feeling

Crater Lake (OR) - simply gorgeous - simply gorgeous - the boat trip on the lake is well worth it if you can handle the hike back up. While there, take a trip over to Oregon's coast and head north - it's spectacular, esp Cannon Beach.

Mesa Verde (CO) - WOW - how did they survive in those cliff dwellings?

4 Corners (NM, AZ, UT, CO) - it is neat to stand there - just because

I'm sure there are many more that I'm just not thinking of this morning. We've been to 49 of the 50 states (need Alaska) and there's not a one of them I couldn't find something interesting in... I'd take another cross country road trip in a heartbeat if we could afford it.

Great list!!!

The Statue of Liberty

The White House

The Capitol Building

The St. Louis Arch

Golden Gate Bridge

Sears Tower

Pearl Harbor

The Alamo

Niagra Falls

Great Smoky Mountains

Golden Gate Bridge

Yellowstone

What else?

Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell would rank pretty close to the top of my list.

The Statue of Liberty

The White House

The Capitol Building

The St. Louis Arch

Golden Gate Bridge

Sears Tower

Pearl Harbor

The Alamo

Niagra Falls

Great Smoky Mountains

Golden Gate Bridge

Yellowstone

What else?

Looks good. :) I've been to all of those except The Alamo, Pearl Harbor, and the Great Smoky Mountains. Wait, I don't think I've been to the Sears Tower, either. They are on my to-see list with Mt. Vernon and Crater Lake (I have pictures of Crater Lake from an airplane, though. :) )

I've been to 4 Corners, Bryce Canyon, Mt Rushmore, Carlsbad Caverns, Mt St Helens, Jamestown and Williamsburg, the Smithsonian Museums in D.C., Radio City Music Hall, The Met, Broadway...

Can't wait to travel with my boys!! (When they're old enough to appreciate it. :lol:)