Menu

schoolroom flooring

I vote laminate or hardwood (bamboo is nice, renewable, easy to take care of). I find tile too cold, and carpet too dirty (dirt-catching). I do, however, think that a nice rug under the school room table is a must, and also a nice one in front of any other seating (like a couch or whatever) is a great idea--sometimes kids like to be on the floor with a book or a project, and a rug lets them do that comfortably (but is easier to keep clean than a full-blown carpet).

That's me, "best of both worlds, how can I have it all?" type of gal. :D

for a school room where experiments and art projects can cause a mess, I'd choose vinyl or tile. Some of the vinyl tiles are nice, and they have colorful ones that have the same appearance as that school flooring with the speckles. I thought about putting different colors in a pattern at one time in our basement. I saw it at my doctor's office and liked it, just would have chosen funkier colors. :tongue_smilie:

We put in laminate from Costco. It works great. The chairs can roll around and I don't have to worry about clean up from project spills. We have a woven cotton rug in 1/2 of the room so there is a cozier spot for when the kids want to sit on the floor. It can be rolled up easily and moved out of the way to make more room or to clean. The rug is 9x12 and I bought it at Cost Plus World market so it wasn't too expensive considering the size I wanted.

We are having engineered hardwoods installed next week and I'm so excited! All of my carpets are so disgusting! I am a little worried though about my 3 yo getting carried away w/markers and getting it on the floor. We'll need to be super vigilant about making sure permanant markers and dry erase markers are kept put away. Does anyone know if you can get these things out of engineered hardwoods? I always use washable paints at this point so I'm assuming I don't have to worry about that.

I'm going to go with gym mats. The soft squishy kind. That's what I want on my schoolroom... well, it would be my kitchen, but that would add an element of excitement to cooking that has been lacking.

LOL, when the kids were lil I wanted to do that and run them up the sides of the wall.

LOL, when the kids were lil I wanted to do that and run them up the sides of the wall.

I'm not sure if it means I'm on the verge of desparately needing padded walls myself, or that I'm getting too old to really care about being conventional :rofl:

Not that I can do all these things now, but as soon as I win the lottery or get discovered by a long lost and disgustingly rich relation, I'm going for it ;)

I'm not sure if it means I'm on the verge of desparately needing padded walls myself, or that I'm getting too old to really care about being conventional :rofl:

Not that I can do all these things now, but as soon as I win the lottery or get discovered by a long lost and disgustingly rich relation, I'm going for it ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

We used Novalis vinyl plank flooring. It is vinyl flooring that looks like wood planks. It was cheap, easy to put down and looks great. We love the vinyl flooring because it is quiet, you don't get the clicky sound you can get on some laminate flooring, and it is easy to clean. We put it down in the classroom over a year ago and this spring we put it down in living and dining rooms. I hope to put it down in the bedrooms this fall.

It can be purchased at Lowes, they don't have many color options but enough for us. I have a picture of the finished floor if you would like to see a photo just message me.

We used Novalis vinyl plank flooring. It is vinyl flooring that looks like wood planks. It was cheap, easy to put down and looks great. We love the vinyl flooring because it is quiet, you don't get the clicky sound you can get on some laminate flooring, and it is easy to clean. We put it down in the classroom over a year ago and this spring we put it down in living and dining rooms. I hope to put it down in the bedrooms this fall.

It can be purchased at Lowes, they don't have many color options but enough for us. I have a picture of the finished floor if you would like to see a photo just message me.

This is what we have in our playroom/schoolroom as well. It has been great! I plan on putting it in the rest of the house this winter.

We are having engineered hardwoods installed next week and I'm so excited! All of my carpets are so disgusting! I am a little worried though about my 3 yo getting carried away w/markers and getting it on the floor. We'll need to be super vigilant about making sure permanant markers and dry erase markers are kept put away. Does anyone know if you can get these things out of engineered hardwoods? I always use washable paints at this point so I'm assuming I don't have to worry about that.

FWIW, my sister has Pergo laminate and her daughter colored on the floor with marker -- Magic Eraser is my sister's new best friend. ;)

Does anyone know if you can get these things out of engineered hardwoods? I always use washable paints at this point so I'm assuming I don't have to worry about that.

DD2 colored on my laminate with a sharpie. I doused the areas in rubbing alcohol, waited a minute or so and washed it up. You can not tell where she colored and it was red marker on light colored flooring.

Cork! You find great prices at Lumber Liquidators. It's super duper easy to install. I love my cork floor in the school room. It's much more comfortable sitting on the cork floor than my hard wood floor.

We put click-lock cork in our kitchen and it's fabulous! Warmer than the wood floors, and quieter, too, nice give, easy to clean, no off-gassing.

I ordered ours from the clearance section of Eco-Friendly Flooring. It's similar to the "textured burl" (I think it's "toffee burl").

We have 3 different surfaces in the different rooms.

We LOVE our carpeting to lie down, sprawl out and do stuff on the floor, like spelling and reading.

Most of our house is some sort of large stone tiles, feels cool all year long. Easy to clean up.

In the basement, we mostly have black gym flooring. It also works as a gigantic chalkboard! Also easy to mop up and clean.

Our old house had bamboo wood in some rooms, I would love to do that again. That or the cork mentioned...

I have laminate in my kitchen. I hate it. Some liquid slopped over the side of a cup when I was putting dishes in the dishwasher , I didn't realize it, and that part of the floor warped. I don't know if it was because of the quality of the laminate that we have (the sellers installed it to sell the house -- it worked, lol!) or if this is a problem with laminate in general. We have some additional warping by the kitchen island where my monsters eat breakfast as well.