Menu

Animal shelter===won't let us adopt an outdoor dog

I think this discussion is fundamentally about the conflict of what's best for the individual vs. what's best for the community.

There's a lot of 'me, me, me. I want it now. I don't want hoops. This is what's best for me.'

And it has to be balanced against what is best for the community (animal & people) as a whole. And it's always tough to balance these rights & yeah, things go wrong.

Shelter reform is a huge issue right now - there are some shelters which are killing pretty much all the animals coming in. They're not 'sheltering'; they're killing. They make it pretty bleeding impossible for anyone to adopt - they don't put the animals on www.petfinder.org ; they hold them for only a day or two; they're not open to the public in evenings or on weekends......

I highly recommend the book Redemption by Nathan Winograd if you're interesed in shelter reform & improving the lives of homeless animals, about 4-5 million of which are killed each year.

Check out his website:

http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/

(BTW, when you buy from a reputable breeder, it's not instant either - most reputable breeders have wait lists & they will check you out as well to make sure their pup is going to the best possible home. Getting an animal should not be like buying a pair of shoes....... )

And anyone who wants a barn cat only has to contact a cat rescue & ask about ferals. While tame housecats will generally not be adopted out to outside situations, there are usually groups doing TNR - trap/neuter/release on feral cat populations & there's often a demand for relocating ferals. One of the local cat rescues here has been putting out an ongoing plea for barns etc to take ferals which are being relocated from a suburb. There are simply not enough barns and farms willing to take them here...... .

Actually, what i am seeing is that it is about what is best for the animals and the community. People are wanting to adopt unwanted animals that have been turned into shelters. The shelters have so many rules in place that this is not allowed to happen. The animal is being so protected that it is being put into the position that it will be euthanized. I am also seeing that the "rights" or the animal are being put above what is best for people. Personally, I think that pets are animals. The benefit one will give an elderly person would far outweigh the harm done to the pet if by some chance the owner were to be in a position of not being able to care for it until the end of its days. In fact, I think that would be far preferable than for the human to outlive the pet. Yet, the elderly are being denied adoptions based on this very reason.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does not mean that you want some feral, wild animal. Would you want an animal like that interacting with your children or even other animals? Cat bites are very dangerous - regardless of how healthy the animal is.

I was thinking this, too. There are barn cats at my MIL's barn, but they are beloved pets. My daughter was heartbroken when one, who was 13 years old, died just a few weeks ago.

It's ridiculous. Do not ever tell them you are there to get a barn cat. They'll freak...even though the cat will be fat and happy in its barn home.

I've been turned off by the inconsistencies of rescue/shelter organizations. They have 100's of dogs that need homes, but they've become so picky that I really don't think they are doing the waiting dogs any favors.

I have two Australian Shepherds. They would go insane (as would I) if they were confined to the house. They were never meant to be inside dogs. They come in periodically, but they much prefer being outdoors. Anthropomorphism - the attributing of human characteristics to animals - is a real problem among many rescue organizations. Just because we liket to be indoors doesn't mean that all dogs do as well!

Try craigslist.org or another site like that. Good luck!

Have you actually gone to a shelter for a barn cat??? I mean, I can't give away barn kitties to save my life!! :lol: Anyone need a good mouser? Or two? Or ten?

I'm serious.

The experiences of the workers at shelters have colored their perception of what type of owner the average person will be. Because of their jobs, they tend to see the worst and expect the worst. As you can see, this perception can keep good people from adopting from shelters.

Kind of like a public school teacher getting bad view of homeschoolers in general because of some kids that returned to school after a few years of non-schooling. It happens.

Not every outdoor dog is abused just as not every indoor dog is cooped up and miserable. I can't fence my 5 acre yard well enough to be Husky proof (Is there such a thing?) so ours is an indoor dog. She wasn't supposed to be, but she runs.

ETA: My mom had an outdoor cat live to be 22 years old. Her dog (also kept outside full-time) lived to be 18. Both received more regular vet care than many indoor pets.

Edited by darlasowders

I didn't read it all.... but IMHO, they aren't really interested in saving this dogs life... they are more interested in their animal rights agenda. Guess they figure putting one down is better than it getting 2-3 years running through the fields of a farm!:001_huh: People are going nuts! We do not all live in the city and all dogs aren't fragile like toy poodles.

A lab is a work/hunting dog. It is an animal for out of doors. To be honest, most dogs should be out of doors. Our modern world seems to confuse animals with humans.... and we often treat our animals very improperly (as if they are little people).

That being said, there are tiny breeds that would be goners in a couple fo days... just think of a lunch for a owl or hawk. But these big dogs will be much happier outside running, smelling, rolling, etc.

Labs also have trouble with obesity. A lab mix might lean in the same direction.

Move on as others have give you ideas.... find a dog & spread the world about the micromanaging of the animal shelter & their REAL agenda.

I completely disagree. What's best for the individuals who are speaking about this issue is also what's best for the community.

If someone needs to unload their German Shepherd who has been outdoors on the farm for five years, how is it good for ANYONE involved for that dog to go to someone who promises to keep it INDOORS? The dog will not even understand the perameters of living indoors and will have to relearn the entire way of being. German Shepherds were not bred to sit on an LLBean pillow by the fireplace.

I will merely say this:

first: did you see Judith's video that I posted above. 10 years chained outside. Did you see Eddy's? Hanging out on the couch with his people? So far from where he started. Both of these are big shepherd or shepherd X's....Please, look at the videos & see the stories of these dogs.

second: I fostered dogs for a rescue whose mission is working with isolated first nations where there is no vet care, dogs are sometimes semi-feral, and there are 'shooting days' if dogs start to 'pack and attack'.

When the rescue would 'pull' dogs from that community - almost all are shepherd/lab/rottie/pit bull crosses btw, - my work as a foster parent was exactly what you say can't be done: I train them to be inside, to let us know when they need to go inside, to learn to live in a suburb, walk politely on leash, go offleash in dog parks and at doggy beaches. They learn basic obedience & 'house rules'. Then they're ready to go to their 'forever homes'. This process takes no more than a month or two, sometimes less. When it takes more, it's not because they can't learn the house rules, it's because they're so unsocialized that they fear people.

These dogs end up wonderful companions, going for hikes with their people, participating in fun dog sports, and yeah, snoozing on pillows in the home.

This work is very rewarding. At the end of the day when I handed over the leash of that dog, I would look into the dog's eyes & know that I had done good. This dog was going to a great, rich life. The adopters were all screened, had to fill out a thorough application & had had a home visit done. Often there are more than 1 applicant for a dog so the rescue had to make a decision on who would be the better home for the dog.

oh & my parents had German Shepherds when I was in my teens so I'm very familiar with the breed. They were both indoor dogs living a suburban doggy life. One of my own dogs is a malamute x GSD who was a backyard breeding ***** who lived outdoors & came to me after being literally sick from breeding. She's a big indoor suck & yeah, she loves lounging on all the pillows and the couch..... (yes, a malamute X - the ones which are bred to live outdoors in the arctic....)

We had issues with the humane society when we were trying to get a cat. I had found one on pet finder that seemed a good fit. The foster lady then wanted him to be adopted with his sister. I told her we only wanted one cat. She agreed to letting us just have him, since I told her we hs and would be home all day, so he wouldn't be lonely. When we got to the shelter, she had brought both cats. She than tried persistantly for at least 45 minutes to get us to take both cats. We hadn't even had a chance to meet the first one to make sure it'd be a good fit! I considered it for a bit, but really only wanted 1. I have allergies and can do fine with one cat, but too much dander in the house and I can't. She knew this was why we only wanted one before we even went to meet. When I insisted on only one cat, she waffled around, chatting with other foster volunteers about how important it was to keep littermates together, yada, yada. (hello? I'm right here!) And eventually told me that she wouldn't seperate them. :cursing: Did I mention that she knew ahead of time that we didn't want 2 and agreed to this before we made the trip out? And with my 3 children in tow who thought they'd be bringing a cat home, were visibly disappointed, with my oldest crying and asking why we couldn't have "hobbes"? (we did prepare them for the fact that he might not be a good kitty for us- we were trying to be very careful to get a cat that would be good with kids- but not for the fact that the lady would change her mind!) We wnded up leaving without a cat and getting our wonderful Eli from a freind of a friend a few days later. But good grief! Why someone would try to push a cat on someone who obviously doesn't want it and wouldn't be able to keep it long term because of allergies is beyond me. If she had made her agenda clear instead of agreeing to seperate I would have just moved on and not have to waste the time and energy going up there or disappointing the kids.

Edited by Scuff

will merely say this:

first: did you see Judith's video that I posted above. 10 years chained outside. Did you see Eddy's? Hanging out on the couch with his people? So far from where he started. Both of these are big shepherd or shepherd X's....Please, look at the videos & see the stories of these dogs.

second: I fostered dogs for a rescue whose mission is working with isolated first nations where there is no vet care, dogs are sometimes semi-feral, and there are 'shooting days' if dogs start to 'pack and attack'.

When the rescue would 'pull' dogs from that community - almost all are shepherd/lab/rottie/pit bull crosses btw, - my work as a foster parent was exactly what you say can't be done: I train them to be inside, to let us know when they need to go inside, to learn to live in a suburb, walk politely on leash, go offleash in dog parks and at doggy beaches. They learn basic obedience & 'house rules'. Then they're ready to go to their 'forever homes'. This process takes no more than a month or two, sometimes less. When it takes more, it's not because they can't learn the house rules, it's because they're so unsocialized that they fear people.

These dogs end up wonderful companions, going for hikes with their people, participating in fun dog sports, and yeah, snoozing on pillows in the home.

This work is very rewarding. At the end of the day when I handed over the leash of that dog, I would look into the dog's eyes & know that I had done good. This dog was going to a great, rich life. The adopters were all screened, had to fill out a thorough application & had had a home visit done. Often there are more than 1 applicant for a dog so the rescue had to make a decision on who would be the better home for the dog.

oh & my parents had German Shepherds when I was in my teens so I'm very familiar with the breed. They were both indoor dogs living a suburban doggy life. One of my own dogs is a malamute x GSD who was a backyard breeding ***** who lived outdoors & came to me after being literally sick from breeding. She's a big indoor suck & yeah, she loves lounging on all the pillows and the couch..... (yes, a malamute X - the ones which are bred to live outdoors in the arctic....)

First, no I did not see the video. I am not declaring there's no such thing as an abused outside dog whose been kept on a chain. :confused: I'm saying the dogs that come to the shelter are the abused dogs, they are not representative of having a dog that is outdoors. Obviously, you have never seen my dog, healthy, trained, loved and attended to daily. Obviously, because he has a home for life and will not go to a shelter. Unless somebody shoots me in the head and dognaps him and takes him to a shelter (where he would be id'd anyway, because he is microchipped), he will live here until he dies. The dog I had before him was a sheltie mix and lived to be 16. My husbands dogs were a shepherd mix and a Gorden Setter and they lived to be 15 and 16, respectively.

I respect that you put in the effort you do for animals. I applaud it! I did not say it "couldn't be done" to reform a large dog from the outdoors to be an indoor housepet. The point is, that is not the only way a dog could ever live a good, productive, decent life as somebody's pet. I would not have my GSD in my house on a regular basis, even though I believe it is *possible* to train him to accept it. It's beside the point to me. He has a happy life without being inside my house. He is not a human and does not require a human house.

In my opinion, a lot of what provokes many people to get rid of a dog are problems only because the dog is inside the house all the time. They don't want the dog to bark, scratch the hardwood floors, shed, bring in fleas and ticks, knock over the baby, and relieve himself when duty calls. All understandable, but all natural behaviors that are not a problem if the dog is not indoors. They think they want a dog, but then they don't want to dog to act like a dog in any way. I think it is more cruel to set up these failure-prone situations and then pitch the dog, who is not at fault, then it is to concede that you don't want dog behaviors happening in your dining room and keep the dog outside from day one.

In accordance with the OP, I think it is dumb for the dog rescues to have such blanket views on what makes a good dog set-up. As I said in an earlier post, there are animals I would happily, readily adopt, animals that would not be euthanized or languishing in a cage, if the rescues did not have such a prejudiced and blanket view on what it means to be a mostly outdoor pet. Being an indoor pet is not the be-all. I have known many indoor pets that are treated cruelly and abusively because the situation is poorly set up to have a pet indoors. Shutting a terrier, high-energy dog bred to be able to run and dig for hours tirelessly, into a cage all day long is cruel. Beating the dog when it flees the cage and runs around like Hammy on Jolt when you come home from work is abusive.

I applaud you for caring about the dogs...I am not anti-rescue or anti-humane society. I just think their rules stink and many more animals could have excellant homes if they would realize that excellant home can mean a variety of situations and what is ideal for a Yorkie is not necessarily ideal for a Rottie.

Just to add another story of interest to the discussion... I have a friend who is a breeder of small breed canines and was denied adoption of a dog by the Humane Society (SPCA) because of that. She went to the shelter with kids in tow specifically to adopt a large mixed breed dog that was to be euthanized that day. It was all but a done deal until the question of breeding arose. She honestly answered and they denied her. She and her children left crying and disgusted that they would kill this animal rather than allow her to adopt. I can not imagine what harm they thought would come to this animal. She obviously did not want to breed the mixed breed dog. She wanted to save the dog's life! She has a farm with dozens of well cared for animals. All of them are fed a high quality diet, have generous human interaction, play hard, are trained, are indoor/outdoor animals and sleep on comfy pillows at night. Long story shortened, (not short:001_smile:) she got the dog by another means. Not honest, not right, but it is what she felt she had to do. He lived with her for greater than 10 years before he died of old age (I think he was older than 15yo). I respect people who volunteer their time at these shelters but some of the policies and their views on pure breed canines are extreme.

I am sorry that you have had such difficulty. Rejection is hard in any form. Here where I live there are two types of rescues...one is the SPCA (very strict-probably what you encountered) and the county shelter (less strict..I did not get asked those questions when we adopted in Jan 09).

I wish you the best.

Here where I live there are two types of rescues...one is the SPCA (very strict-probably what you encountered) and the county shelter (less strict..I did not get asked those questions when we adopted in Jan 09).

I just want to clarify that what you're mentioning are both SHELTERS and not rescues.

There are shelters which are municipal and then there is the SPCA (which sometimes also does animal control work for the municipality, just to confuse things more). They have at least some paid staff.

RESCUES are different. They are run entirely by volunteers, & they usually have no shelter facility at all - the animals are all in foster homes, which means you can't 'just visit'. Many (though not all) are registered charities with boards of directors etc. They are supported entirely by fundraising & funds from adoption fees. Adoption fees usually do not cover the costs of getting an animal ready for adoption so fundraising in always ongoing. Good rescues will make sure the animal is spayed/neutered, fully vetted, do a thorough behavioural assessment before adoption. They will chip or tattoo the animal.

Adopters need to apply by filling out an application form, must give reference & usually need to have a home visit done. There is a contract & the animal must come back to the rescue if the adopter can't keep it.

Not all rescuers are against purebreds. In fact, many purebreed clubs have rescue wings - for the love of their breed, they will pull dogs from shelters if they're at risk of euth., they will find a foster home, and they will find suitable people to adopt them. See for ex.

http://www.foxterrierrescue.net/

and

http://www.englishsetterrescue.org/

you can also see on these websites their application forms & the kinds of questions they ask - they're both pretty representative of good rescues.

One of my dogs is a purebreed rescue. I've supported a number of breed rescues through the years.

cheers,

The shelters are within their rights to do whatever they feel best regarding their adoption policies, however, by ruling out so very many good but imperfect homes, they are denying life to many of the animals they are supposedly serving. Their restrictive policies are creating more business for backyard breeders and pet stores. I respect the tremendously difficult job workers have of dealing with only the unsuccessful cases, the unwanted and mistreated pets, and having to destroy many of them. But it is illogical to say that most potential pet owners are abusive just because some are and so the shelters will kill the animals or keep them in cages to keep others from killing or abusing them.

And, if a shelter chooses to exercise their right to being so restrictive regarding their adoptions, they need to be mindful that they can look elsewhere for their support also. I refuse to support a program that stands in the way of getting good homes for so many animals.

We live on a 120 acre farm. When dd finally got permission to get an indoor dog, after 2 years of wanting one, we tried the shelters. We homeschool and are home most of the time. We live on plenty of land at the end of a dead end road where there is no traffic. I have a background in animal care, behavior, and training. We can offer plenty of companionship, ample room to romp and play, and excellent care and training. However, I would not lie and say that we did not have any barbed-wire fences on the 120 acres. That was adequate reason to deny a dog a great home, in the shelter's opinion.

BTW, we bought a dog from a backyard breeder, she is supremely happy (seems to think she is Queen of the World), and the only time she has seen that barbed-wire fence is when she is riding with all the children in the wagon on our occasional hay rides. So while I would praise shelter workers for the good work they do, I would also caution them to remember that they gave the "pink liquid" to some dog that I was willing to give a "forever home". Please stop judging all who want to own pets by those who have done a very bad job of it. There are many more of us out here who are doing an excellent job with our outdoor facilities, our younger or disabled children, our unmarried or elderly status, or our barbed-wire fences and are providing wonderful homes and lives to our pets.

Edited by hillfarm

She went to the shelter with kids in tow specifically to adopt a large mixed breed dog that was to be euthanized that day. It was all but a done deal until the question of breeding arose. She honestly answered and they denied her. She and her children left crying and disgusted that they would kill this animal rather than allow her to adopt. I can not imagine what harm they thought would come to this animal. She obviously did not want to breed the mixed breed dog. She wanted to save the dog's life!

Ah, AGENDA was more important to the facility than the actual animal. So sad.

WOW, I didn't know this would be such a hot button item.

We are looking privately for a dog now. I just think it is funny in a way that I can adopt 3 special needs children, foster over 100 other children, most with special needs but don't pass the test to adopt a dog.

I just want to clarify that what you're mentioning are both SHELTERS and not rescues.

I did classify that incorrectly. :001_unsure:

I have never dealt with an actual rescue. I only have personal experience with the County Animal Shelter and it was a positive one. My friend had the bad experience with the SPCA.

Here the shelters setup adoption days inside our local Petsmart stores. I inquired a few times and was given the list of requirements - absolutely no outside access for cats - at all.

That said, it isn't hard to find cats as people are always giving them away, but I figured since I don't need a cute cuddly kitten that I could give a good older mouser a home. Nope.

It's ridiculous. Do not ever tell them you are there to get a barn cat. They'll freak...even though the cat will be fat and happy in its barn home.

I've been turned off by the inconsistencies of rescue/shelter organizations. They have 100's of dogs that need homes, but they've become so picky that I really don't think they are doing the waiting dogs any favors.

I have two Australian Shepherds. They would go insane (as would I) if they were confined to the house. They were never meant to be inside dogs. They come in periodically, but they much prefer being outdoors. Anthropomorphism - the attributing of human characteristics to animals - is a real problem among many rescue organizations. Just because we liket to be indoors doesn't mean that all dogs do as well!

Try craigslist.org or another site like that. Good luck!

I agree. It's anthropomorphism that causes a lot of the problems. Additionally, people projecting their own needs onto animals; ie they need to be needed, etc. so they decide that their dog can't possibly be happy if they leave town and have a friend watch it. I have a relative who won't visit her close family members because she can't leave her animals with anyone else. It's her feelings, not theirs, but she can't separate the two.

Do you have proof of this? I do believe that most outdoor dogs who come to the shelters fit this description. But, not most outdoor dogs. The outdoor dogs who do not do not go to the shelter.

I

The experiences of the workers at shelters have colored their perception of what type of owner the average person will be. Because of their jobs, they tend to see the worst and expect the worst. As you can see, this perception can keep good people from adopting from shelters. Shelters are shooting themselves in the foot by putting these requirements on adoptions.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

We are looking privately for a dog now. I just think it is funny in a way that I can adopt 3 special needs children, foster over 100 other children, most with special needs but don't pass the test to adopt a dog.

:iagree:

Ah, AGENDA was more important to the facility than the actual animal. So sad.

I have read through this entire thread getting more and more upset. We adopted our beloved dog from a shelter 8 years ago and did not have to go through this. These people have no clue. All animals deserve to live. Even if their lives are less than perfect. Of course animals should be loved, cared for and not abused, but these people have clearly gone too far in trying to assure that. The OP can adopt a child but not a dog? That's insane.

I'm going to be perfectly blunt here. If someone refuses a less than "perfect" but not abusive home for an animal and that animal is later killed because there is no space in the shelter, than that person is ethically responsible for that animal's death. They should have to hold the animal while the death cocktail is administered.

Farm/Ranch dogs often live their whole lives outside. They are there to work. They are still cared for and happy. How is death better than this? Do the people who run these shelters really think that smelly ranch dogs should come in the house after moving cattle all day?

I didn't read it all.... but IMHO, they aren't really interested in saving this dogs life... they are more interested in their animal rights agenda. Guess they figure putting one down is better than it getting 2-3 years running through the fields of a farm!:001_huh: People are going nuts! We do not all live in the city and all dogs aren't fragile like toy poodles.

A lab is a work/hunting dog. It is an animal for out of doors. To be honest, most dogs should be out of doors. Our modern world seems to confuse animals with humans.... and we often treat our animals very improperly (as if they are little people).

:iagree:Repeating to my self after every few posts I read....."Pets are not people...pets are not people...pets are not people....pets are not people...."

Just trying to keep my common sense perspective in this world. Things are so upside down sometimes. Most animal rights people have gone off the deep end and now, instead of helping, they are, as has already been stated, "shooting themselves in the foot." It's just true. Sorry.

Yes, rescues and shelters have gone a bit crazy. You have to be able to document a lifestyle far better than most children have in order to "rescue" a pet these days.

I read about one guy who was refused because he had a doggy door. Now, in my book, a doggy door = doggy heaven: you can lay in the sunshine any time you want, you can pee anytime you want. Sometimes my dog sleeps with one end outside the doggy door and one end inside. Can't decide! LOL! ....But they told this would-be-adopter that if he had a doggy door, he might not give the dog enough personal attention.

When we were shopping for a puppy, one rescue told me a stay-at-home adult was manditory. Well, fine, I'm a stay-at-home adult; but most families and most children don't have one.

Other rescues wouldn't place a puppy in a home with a child. (Don't puppies and children LIKE each other??! Isn't that why a lot of people get puppies? )

We were turned down because we have a pool. I totally understand this one. Really, I do. But one is allowed to have children and have a pool. If I've managed to prevent any children or dogs from drowning in the 15 years that we've had the pool, aren't I a pretty good risk?

Another person couldn't adopt because she had no vet references. Well, how can you have vet references BEFORE you have a pet?

I think a lot of shelters and rescues have made "perfection" the enemy of "good enough."

On the horse boards I visit, there is much complaining about this situation. A lot of people feel that a lot of the "rescues" are actually animal hoarders who want (and often get) a tax exemption.

I have read through this entire thread getting more and more upset. We adopted our beloved dog from a shelter 8 years ago and did not have to go through this. These people have no clue. All animals deserve to live. Even if their lives are less than perfect. Of course animals should be loved, cared for and not abused, but these people have clearly gone too far in trying to assure that. The OP can adopt a child but not a dog? That's insane.

I'm going to be perfectly blunt here. If someone refuses a less than "perfect" but not abusive home for an animal and that animal is later killed because there is no space in the shelter, than that person is ethically responsible for that animal's death. They should have to hold the animal while the death cocktail is administered.

Farm/Ranch dogs often live their whole lives outside. They are there to work. They are still cared for and happy. How is death better than this? Do the people who run these shelters really think that smelly ranch dogs should come in the house after moving cattle all day?

:iagree::iagree:VERY well said. I opened my back porch door one day to find an emaciated, hairless, wormy, diseased lab mix puppy. Despite his hidious condition, he was all wiggles of happiness when he saw me. I was heartbroken for him. I fed him, wormed him, gave him his shots, cleaned him up and gave him a home. The home I gave him is on a cable tied to an oak tree with a dog house and food and water everyday. He gets about 5 minutes daily of pets and loves when I feed him and gets walked on a leash on the farm about 3 X week. My son takes him swimming in the pond a couple of times a month and in the spring, he takes him canooing. Miller LOVES it.

The thing is, I did not set out to get a lab puppy. I am trying to fix someone else's wrong doing. I think about the kind of ferrel life Miller COULD have and I know he is better off then that, and certainly better off then dead on the road. He does have some great days and most of his days are at least comfortable and free from pain. That's the best I can do. But I have been criticized for keeping my dog outside and on a cable. Sorry, but without the cable, Miller would be dead on the road and my chicken and ducks would be dinner. I would never buy a dog with the express intension of keeping him the way I keep Miller. But I certainly think Miller is happier with us then living in a no kill "shelter" in a cage or worse yet, euthanized. Sometimes, less then ideal is just fine.

Edited by katemary63

Please stop judging all who want to own pets by those who have done a very bad job of it. There are many more of us out here who are doing an excellent job with our outdoor facilities, our younger or disabled children, our unmarried or elderly status, or our barbed-wire fences and are providing wonderful homes and lives to our pets.

:iagree::iagree:You can't say it any better then that!

We had a cat. She was totally declawed. TOTALLY, front and back. Not something we would do again, but when we told the vet she was going to be an indoor cat and we wanted her declawed, he did all 4 paws. Fast forward, we have our youngest and from the day we brought her home it was obvious she was allergic, and the cat hated her. Actually, the cat hated all of us, she was one of those cats that wanted us to feed her, but did not like us living with her. The cat moved herself to the garage and we realized she needed a better home. However, BECAUSE she was declawed, no shelters would help us find her a home, because too many cats end up out doors and she would die because we had disfigured her. Here's the funny thing, a friend of mine hooked me up with her mother who has horses. She took our cat and our cat became a barn cat. She climbed trees, ate mice and ran feral on her property with about 10 other cats. She even became the leader of the pack! When we dropped her off, she was skinny, her coat was dull and her white spots were gray from sleeping under our cars. A month later we went to see her and she was fat, her coat was BEAUTIFUL, and she was sleeping up in a hay loft. I remember being stunned because I realized that's all she wanted all along, to be outside and free to roam. Funny how we think we know what animals want, isn't it?

Ottakee, let me recommend Last Chance Rescue: http://lastchancerescue.org/

They're closer to the east side of the state, but were one of the only rescues that would even talk to us 6 years ago because we had young children (2 and 3 years at the time). Our Molly has been a fantastic dog. They let us do a "test drive". Basically, take her home for a week, if it doesn't work out, bring her back next week. If it does work out, bring a check. It worked out great, we paid our adoption fee, and the rest is history.

On the horse boards I visit, there is much complaining about this situation. A lot of people feel that a lot of the "rescues" are actually animal hoarders who want (and often get) a tax exemption.

I have often thought/wondered the exact same thing myself. We've had dealings with a couple of horse rescues - and a few dog rescues as well. And, well.... not many of the animals seemed to ever be adopted. No one was ever good enough. :001_huh: And these people just continued to accumulate animals. :confused:

There is no way I could sign a paper that specifically stated a dog could NOT be an outdoors dog. We moved from the country to town and while we've been dog owners in the past, we have no desire to have a dog in town because we feel a dog wouldn't have enough freedom.

Of course, I'm feeling bad for my kids, too, being in town, and the lack of run and play freedom.

We looked for a dog from 2 different shelters - one no kill and one SPCA (which we didn't realize was a Specific Breed Kill shelter). After IKE they were begging people to foster all the found animals.. we went in and wanted to foster a bully breed knowing that they are harder to foster out and I have been my entire life with them.. they said No, because they kill them all (so we will NEVER go back to the SPCA or have anything to do with them)...they wouldn't let us have some of the other dogs b/c our son was under 7, and apparently too big of dogs are bad for young boys (???????? - they must have missed lassie, old yeller - oh, wait that was hollywood).. the other place wanted to come and help us go shopping for a new fence (mind you I live in a new community with 6 foot fences around everyone's house in the neighborhood).., they wanted me to take the lab to this expensive trainer, b/c that was the only way to properly train an animal.. anyway I finally got so aggravated that we said enough. We wanted to rescue an animal and give them a good home.

I realize WHY the shelters do this, for all the reasons many of you have stated.. but I think what the shelters miss is that you end up chasing away the good homes and responsible families (who won't lie) and end up with the families who are going to lie anyway b/c their daughter just thought that little doggie was just oh-so-cute...and sure we have a great fence, and no we would never let them out alone.. and of course our daughter will get proper instruction..yeah, right. Too many rules and you get the liars who mistreat the animals - you can't keep them from lying, you can on the other hand talk to my vet who knows that I am dedicated to my pet and treat them like a prince and princess and beloved family member.

BTW, 4 weeks after the storm, our local elementary school had a dog living there and after not finding its home, is now 20lbs. heavier, getting regular feedings that she doesn't have to hunt herself, runs with me, sleeps in my bed and has found herself a much better home than a cage or living on the street. We did rescue an animal and our animal is soooo thankful and we are so thankful. It has been wonderful...(sometimes I let her run in my fenced back yard unwatched.. shhhh, don't tell anyone, I'm sure they will call APS).

I have often thought/wondered the exact same thing myself. We've had dealings with a couple of horse rescues - and a few dog rescues as well. And, well.... not many of the animals seemed to ever be adopted. No one was ever good enough. :001_huh: And these people just continued to accumulate animals. :confused:

If they are like the ones near us... they get on the media and constantly complain about how "no one will take the animals... nobody cares... they need good families"... good grief who is acceptible?

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

This is written so well. I 100% agree that these folks - not anyone else - are 100% responsible for these animals and their deaths. It's sad that they feel it is 'better' than a home.

I fully believe a cat or dog has the BEST life when they can be an indoor/outdoor animal. I've seen it. When we lived in town, of course our dogs and cats were solely indoor. Safety required it. When we moved to our farm they became indoor/outdoor. They all thrived FAR more than they did when indoors. Our old cat lived to be 19 1/2 years old and absolutely loved napping on the porch or in the yard.

Back when shelters started these crazy rules - anthropomorphizing is correct - we decided to no longer donate or support any fund raiser that supports a shelter (like these). I also explain 'why' whenever the subject comes up - and have had several people agree and start to do the same. I don't think we're alone... many shelters talk about how much harder it is to get funds nowadays... and this before the economic downturn.

If they think putting an animal down is so much better, there's nothing we can do but let them do it. There are plenty of dogs and cats to find elsewhere... who need homes just as much but are fortunate enough not to come with strings. Those that end up being taken to a shelter pretty much are given a death sentence due to shelter rules from differently thinking people.

Then too - never take an animal to a shelter... there are better ways to find homes for them if you want them to live.

If they think putting an animal down is so much better, there's nothing we can do but let them do it. There are plenty of dogs and cats to find elsewhere... who need homes just as much but are fortunate enough not to come with strings. Those that end up being taken to a shelter pretty much are given a death sentence due to shelter rules from differently thinking people.

Bottom line, a certain number of animals are going to lose out no matter what. If there are 100 in a shelter and 100 in rescue and only 50 families interested in adopting, that's still 150 family-less animals no matter where they're being stored.

I prefer to vilify the irresponsible owners who cause this overpopulation, myself. These places SHOULD be for animals of people who did everything they could, and this was the last stop. Not ones who couldn't be bothered to get their pets fixed, or decided the were "done" with their pet instead of training them, or lost interest once they had human children.

There's almost always an organization suitable for each kind of family. After being turned away by several rescues, we found a group that allowed us to adopt 2 little puppies destined to be 2 very large dogs, even though we had a couple of toddlers at home and no fence.

They DID require our pet history and vet recommendation, which illustrated our experience with managing big dogs and small children. No organization wants to be in the press if something happens with a "questionable" placement!

I prefer to vilify the irresponsible owners who cause this overpopulation, myself.

The 'vilifying' I'm talking about is solely related to those that prefer to put an animal down instead of letting them be adopted out to what 'they' consider to be a 'less than perfect' home.

First... chances are the animal would disagree with them and their definition of 'perfect home.' Animals that can safely be indoor/outdoor have always seemed the happiest to me. Then it depends on the animal if they would prefer 'indoor only' or 'outdoor only.' Just as people differ - so do animals - yet these shelters clump them all the same - and in these 'vilifying cases' prefer to kill them than let them live.

Second... even if it isn't the 'perfect' home - who's to say the animal doesn't prefer life in a less-than-perfect home to being killed? I suspect, given the choice, the animals would choose life. Even under horrid cases, I've yet to see an animal choose suicide. The majority of homes from people looking to adopt wouldn't fit 'horrid.'

Third... their conditions living at the shelter are often worse than adoptive homes... (caged, etc).

Reasons for how and why animals got to the shelter vary quite a bit and aren't what's being discussed here. Animals being put down when homes ARE out there for them - just not 'perfect' homes according to some - is the issue. Their incorrect thoughts are what's responsible and the guilt for the animal's death should be 100% on their hands.

I will never financially support such an organization and will actively state my reasons. If they go out of business - or change leadership - GREAT! Perhaps their replacement will be better for the animals.

Wow.

I've never adopted from a shelter ~ never had to, cats just have a way of showing up at our house when they need a home. ;)

I'm amazed at some of the posts here... people being turned down because they aren't married? because they have a child with special needs? because they don't have a fence around their entire FARM? Good grief. Ridiculous.

Yes I was very ticked. My son was good enough to join the ARMY, and go to Iraq, but not responsible enough to care for a dog because he was single and didn't own his own home. Maybe it was because he took his girlfriend with him? Gee they are engaged to get married. He was able to find another dog at another shelter. It is amazing shelters will take money and food from kids, yet not allow those same kids to take home a puppy. I am shocked at what I have read on this board. The population as a whole is not good enough to adopt a pet?? And they wonder why they can't find homes???

We found 2 dogs that sound good:

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14479775 and http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14346145

We can get a 2 for 1 deal and both would be spayed. They are the age we want and we like mixed breed dogs. This lady was EXCITED that we had a barn, lots of room to run outside, etc.

We have to set up a time to drive over there to look at them and then decide. If they look good, we will take both.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14479775 and http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14346145

We can get a 2 for 1 deal and both would be spayed. They are the age we want and we like mixed breed dogs. This lady was EXCITED that we had a barn, lots of room to run outside, etc.

We have to set up a time to drive over there to look at them and then decide. If they look good, we will take both.

Hurray! I'm sorry for the loss of your wonderful farm dog and I'm very happy that you may have a home for 2 more furry friends.

I actually agree with the indoor-only shelter rule. Most dogs are not totally outdoor dogs...they were not bred to be so and they need human companionship. This is especially true of breeds like Golden Retrievers and Labs, which are very hardy, but need the companionship of humans for hours per day.

Most people who are adopting animals do not have a farm. We actually live in a farming area, so obviously I know farms exist, but even so, the majority of people in America don't live on one. Most dogs adopted to be outdoor animals are left penned up outside in boredom. Many are staked out, etc.

There's really no reason to keep a dog outdoors at night...and while I would love to live somewhere where we could let our dog run outdoors all day, I would never, ever keep her outside at night, not even in an insulated dog house. I really don't think it's right.

That being said, there are tiny breeds that would be goners in a couple fo days... just think of a lunch for a owl or hawk. But these big dogs will be much happier outside running, smelling, rolling, etc.

Labs also have trouble with obesity. A lab mix might lean in the same direction.

Move on as others have give you ideas.... find a dog & spread the world about the micromanaging of the animal shelter & their REAL agenda.

Labs do need a ton of outdoor time. They need work to do, they need to run. They also need a lot of human companionship, which is almost never met by people who keep their dogs outside. I'm not talking about the few on this board (of which there are obviously quite a few) who provide companionship to their animals while keeping them outdoors...but most dogs are no longer bred to be outdoor animals. Yes, many dogs still need real work to do, but no they don't need to spend their entire lives outdoors.

There's really no reason to keep a dog outdoors at night...and while I would love to live somewhere where we could let our dog run outdoors all day, I would never, ever keep her outside at night, not even in an insulated dog house. I really don't think it's right.

I'm curious, for the people who agree with this, do you happen to live in the city?

I'm not trying to argue, I just don't understand. I was brought up on a farm and we've always had outdoor dogs. I truly don't see anything wrong with it. I think of indoor dogs as small dogs who were meant to be cute house dogs. I'm really surprised at some of the comments in this thread, and I happen to agree with the majority of peoples opinions...a dog or cat for that matter would be happier outside at my house than locked up in a cage somewhere.

FWIW, we now own a golden that I bought, and a beagle who showed up on our doorstep one day and didn't want to leave. These two dogs are in our fenced in backyard and they are crazy about each other. They lay around ALOT, but then they play ALOT. We do go out there with them, but not all the time and I don't feel like we are mistreating them at all...in a perfect world I'm sure they'd love us to be out there with them all day, just as I'd love a housekeeper and cook to move into my house:D.

Alison

Those dogs sound superb! I hope they work out for you... They're definitely in need of the right home - and yours sounds right.

I'm curious, for the people who agree with this, do you happen to live in the city?

I'm not trying to argue, I just don't understand. I was brought up on a farm and we've always had outdoor dogs. I truly don't see anything wrong with it. I think of indoor dogs as small dogs who were meant to be cute house dogs. I'm really surprised at some of the comments in this thread, and I happen to agree with the majority of peoples opinions...a dog or cat for that matter would be happier outside at my house than locked up in a cage somewhere.

FWIW, we now own a golden that I bought, and a beagle who showed up on our doorstep one day and didn't want to leave. These two dogs are in our fenced in backyard and they are crazy about each other. They lay around ALOT, but then they play ALOT. We do go out there with them, but not all the time and I don't feel like we are mistreating them at all...in a perfect world I'm sure they'd love us to be out there with them all day, just as I'd love a housekeeper and cook to move into my house:D.

Alison

I agree with you 100%. We had outdoor farm dogs when I was growing up - they almost never came in - and were never abused. We enjoyed their company when we were outdoors. They did have a purpose being out at night - they kept the wild things away - and did it VERY well. They sure seemed to like their job.

Dogs can adjust happily to many different lifestyles. Our dog now (Lab mix) is indoor/outdoor. Since we don't have a/c, he prefers to sleep out when it's hot inside. So do all of our cats. Our cats won't let us sleep if we forget them... the dog will nose us to see if he can get us up, but then he'll be polite and sleep downstairs where it's cooler. In the winter they all prefer sleeping inside - and usually in our bedroom upstairs.

The home I gave him is on a cable tied to an oak tree with a dog house and food and water everyday. He gets about 5 minutes daily of pets and loves when I feed him and gets walked on a leash on the farm about 3 X week. My son takes him swimming in the pond a couple of times a month and in the spring, he takes him canooing. Miller LOVES it.

This reminds me of Anne of Green Gables & the first homes she landed in. Here you go girl. Better than the orphanage, ain't it? Be glad you have it & don't complain.

Used to be considered ok to treat orphan kids like that. Passed around, family to family. Ain't much to you, but you're wiry, and I don't know but the wiry ones can work the hardest. I'll expect you to earn your keep, no mistaking that. ....

But with time our attitudes have changed. I'm ever so gently suggesting that this is an attitude that should change as well.

BTW, one of my dogs is a gundog & one of the big shifts in training gundogs is moving away from keeping them in outdoor pens. The leading gundog trainers in America now advocate raising & keeping hunting dogs inside with the family. So even with the good 'ole boys, this attitude is changing.

This reminds me of Anne of Green Gables & the first homes she landed in. Here you go girl. Better than the orphanage, ain't it? Be glad you have it & don't complain.

Used to be considered ok to treat orphan kids like that. Passed around, family to family. Ain't much to you, but you're wiry, and I don't know but the wiry ones can work the hardest. I'll expect you to earn your keep, no mistaking that. ....

Think of how much shorter that book could have been if they'd just opted to put her to sleep instead! :glare:

Think of how much shorter that book could have been if they'd just opted to put her to sleep instead! :glare:

no kidding!!

when the SPCA would rather KILL a dog than adopt it to a family that's had 3 other dogs in their fenced yard for the last 10 years and vet references, that is immoral.

It's bad enough that these poor dogs were abused and dumped. Now that is COMPOUNDED with holier than thou shelters that are fear-mongering worst case scenarios and literally WOULD rather personally administer the death cocktail than give a person a chance at taking care of that dog.

yeah, the SPCA can set whatever rules they want. But they better not blame OTHERS when they they complain about the number of animals put to sleep each year. They are absolutely their own worst enemy.

But with time our attitudes have changed. I'm ever so gently suggesting that this is an attitude that should change as well.

while i tend to agree with you about this particular issue, I take HUGE offense that it is better to kill a dog than adopt it to someone w/ a different attitude about what may be best for dogs.

Here, you can look at some of the outlying areas and they'll let you adopt an outside dog. I would call what you're saying an "inside outside" dog. I would say that much of the day they'll be playing with your children and following them around, and that at night they'll be in a crate. Actually if they go further, in a crate inside is not hard...you can do it in one of their rooms...or in the utility.... That way they know that you're planning to spend lots of time with the dog, and dogs crated at night..... are usually fine:-) They don't want a neglected dog... And...when it's an inside/outside dog....it makes it so that they are less destrucive:-) which sounds like the dog you're talking about. Bored dogs are destructive dogs...dogs like to be with their pack:-)

Carrie:-)