Menu

Kindergarten Outline...Is it too ambitious?

CindyPTN

I have been a lurker/reader of these boards for over 7 years and we are now embarking on the homeschool journey!

From all your great advice, our goals, and WTM, here is what my husband and I have come up with for our PreK & K children. Since dd seems in step with ds, I'm folding her into the school year.

Goals:

• Teach Asher and Stephanie how to read
  • Teach them how to write basic letters and numbers
  • Familiarize them with basic math concepts

Timeline:

• 6 Semesters/ 39 weeks/ 195 days
  • 4 days a week in home study/ 1 day a week “Off Campus/Field Tripsâ€

What we are doing to achieve our Goals Outline:

B(both); A (Son); S (daugther)

B: Religious Study (10-15 mins)

• The Beginner's Bible- Read a story daily
  • 94 stories
  • Complete in 24 weeks
  • Memorize verses (1awk)
  • Last 15 weeks: Touch on other Religions (1 a week)? Read about specific people, places, and events?

B: Reading (10-20mins)

• Bob Books, Flyleaf Books, 1st Modern Curriculum Press Readers
  • Nursery Rhymes (incl. Memory Work)
  • Reading List pg. 41-49
  • Ck out Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease
  • Narration once a week (verbal, I write what they say)

B: Writing (10 min)

• Zaner-Bloser Script
  • Alphabet, numbers
  • Copy Words to Write Out
  • Copy Short sentences.

B: Math (10 min-20min)

• Daily Life (table setting, cooking, grocery store, etc)
  • Games-UNO, Battle, Go Fish
  • Manipulative's with beans ,buttons, pencils and stuff
  • Practice counting to 100 (2s, 5s, 10s)
  • Money
  • Telling Time
  • Naming Geometric figures
  • Read a Math Book a week
  • An Easy Start to Arithmetics by Ruth Beechicks

A: Reading Drill (10-15 mins)

• Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Readers
  • Pace based off Asher's Comprehension

S: Slow & Steady Activities (10-15 min)

Extra Subjects (I'm still having a hard time separating from subjects as The Lost Tools of Learning essay reflects, but I hope to fold these topics and ideas into the fun/daily living parts of our day):

B: Science (1 hour-1 a week)

• State Park Nature Circle weekly trips (wonderful local service provided by our State Park. It's less than 10 minutes away)
  • Mudpies to Magnets by Robert Williams
  • Everybody Has a Body by Robert Rockwell

B: Music Intro (30 min-1 a week)

• Piano Lessons (attempting on teach at home with my limited skills)

B: Art (30 min-1awk)

• Basic drawing skills
  • Introduce work of other artists
  • Check out Frist Art Club for kids

B: Cooking (1 hr-1awk)

• Introduce Kitchen rules
  • Create a kid friendly dish once a week

B: Health (30min-1awk)

• Body parts
  • Basic nutrition
  • Importance of exercise

B: Spanish (30min-4xweek)

• Listen to videos/cds in Spanish
  • read short picture books
  • learn basic words/sayings/poems

S: Dance Class (1 hr-1awk)

A: Karate (1hr-1awk)

Unlimited: Read-a-louds, Playtime, Outdoor activities/exercise

We are relying on our library system and, hopefully, my ability to stay somewhat organized. I think I'm ready for our first 6 week semester, but it is a bit scary to take the plunge and really start doing.

I do want to thank all of you for the many, many years of sharing your great moments, challenges and advice. For a newbie, it makes the actual transition much easier.

Hehe, you're going to have such fun! I love K5. :)

My only comment would be to consider a math curriculum for K5. I haven't seen Beechick's book, but we had so much fun with RightStart at that age. Some K5ers are ready to go a lot farther than doing things on your own will get them to, and RS always did a better job explaining things than I did when I tried to explain things on my own. (I appreciated the scripting and NEEDED it, which surprised me.) So don't be slow to get into a regular math curriculum if you find things not working for you. It might even be a style thing. Some kids LIKE workbooks and thrive on them. My dd is very visual, and the auditory work of math games didn't translate into fact speed with written work. :(

K5 is FUN and you can do this! No, your ideas are not overboard. When my dd was that age, we had our table time, and then we had a dishpan with our read alouds, memory work, etc. Just have fun! Have them color, do dot-to-dots, cutting, etc. that are good for their motor skills. It's an easy way to kill time between them being ready for school and you needing to clear up the dishes or whatever.

Also, when my dd was that age she was very into art and crafting, so I set her up a table with supplies, drawers, different kinds of things (pretty scissors, tubes of cardboard, etc.). We especially loved the Judy Press books like Alphabet Art. Your dc might appreciate some crafts like that.

For science, have you seen the Let's Read and Find Out series? It's great for those ages, and your library will probably have it. You could read a book and then do something fun to apply it. (read about worms, then build a small compost box and watch them work, that sort of thing) We did astronomy when she was in K5, and that made a lot of happy memories. You might wait another year, till they're 5 and 6, but whatever you think. It's just fun to go out and look at things together. :)

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kindergarten Outline...Is it too ambitious?

Not at all! It looks like a great outline to me. ;)

Hehe, you're going to have such fun! I love K5. :)

My only comment would be to consider a math curriculum for K5. I haven't seen Beechick's book, but we had so much fun with RightStart at that age. Some K5ers are ready to go a lot farther than doing things on your own will get them to, and RS always did a better job explaining things than I did when I tried to explain things on my own. (I appreciated the scripting and NEEDED it, which surprised me.) So don't be slow to get into a regular math curriculum if you find things not working for you. It might even be a style thing. Some kids LIKE workbooks and thrive on them. My dd is very visual, and the auditory work of math games didn't translate into fact speed with written work. :(

K5 is FUN and you can do this! No, your ideas are not overboard.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:iagree:

I just have to share that OhElizabeth recommended RS to me last year, but I went w/Saxon Math K instead (already had my mind set). Once we completed Saxon Math K and looked at what was in store thereafter, I was left wanting, sooo... we switched to RS Lvl A and I have not been disappointed with the results. I already highly recommend RightStart Mathematics... my ds loves this math program! We also supplement w/Singapore for the fun workbook experience as well. ;)

Your plans look great! I don't think it's too ambitious. I just finished the year you are starting.

One thing I would add is just to keep an open mind regarding your curriculum choices. You may find that something or other won't work in practice the way you had hopes because...your children have different learning styles...you don't enjoy using it...it's just not clicking...whatever.

For example, I chose MUS, and it's working great for my son, but I know it will not work for my daughter. I started with OPGTR, but I didn't enjoy using it, so we switched to PP.

Wishing you the best for a fabulous year! ;)

Looks good!

You may want to occasionally do some phonics games, my how to teach a beginning student page has a link to my phonics concentration game and ideas for games with magnetic letters. With 2 students and magnetic letters, you can turn it into a relay race where they run to a bucket and get a cup or handful of letters and then come back and make words, racing to see who can make the most words. The younger child can get a head start or a bigger bucket if need be to even things up a bit!

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/newstudents.html

Cindy,

I think your entire plan looks GREAT!

For your last 15 weeks of "Comparative Religions," you might want to check out these resources:

http://store.calebresources.org/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=Kids+-+Elem.+Supplements

My 4.5 yo has really enjoyed the prayer cards, and we plan to get the Akebu to Zapotec products ASAP.

Hope all goes well! Relax, you'll do GREAT!

B: Music Intro (30 min-1 a week)

• Piano Lessons (attempting on teach at home with my limited skills)

B: Spanish (30min-4xweek)

• Listen to videos/cds in Spanish

• read short picture books

• learn basic words/sayings/poems

Just two more resources you might like to investigate. We are REALLY enjoying Music for Little Mozarts at our house! The program is divided into levels, so you could just purchase the materials for only one level to see if it fits your family and teaching/learning styles. The girls LOVE singing and moving to the Hello Song, learning about rhythms, high & low sounds, soft & loud songs (especially LOUD SOUNDS!), rests, how to sit at the piano, and the storyline about Beethoven Bear and Mozart Mouse (adorable). Even my husband had to admit it's very well done and truly adorable. Well worth investing in and doing.

http://musicforlittlemozarts.com/piano_course.html

The other component of "our" music program here is for me! I'm trying to add to my limited skills by studying this:

http://www.alfred.com/alfredweb/front/General.aspx?pageid=268&catid=55

Be sure to get three components: (1) Student workbook; (2) Teacher guide/answer key; and (3) Ear-training CDs. I got my set from Rainbow Resource and it is definitely improving my understanding of and appreciation of music.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1249822034-1700698&subject=17&category=5676

Finally, for Spanish, we are singing and dancing to these:

http://www.sara-jordan.com/SpanishBMenu.shtml

Even my 2.5 year old twins are singing in Spanish! It's a riot.

And we also enjoy watching this DVD about once a week:

http://www.brainybaby.com/shop/html/Products/Videos/Spanish-55.html

Once again, I think your plan looks fantastic. I like how you've broken down the year into realistic segments (6 weeks is about my max, too). I like how you've got a slow and steady pace, with field trips mixed in. We also have been using (and still use) Slow and Steady. I have different colored paper clips for each child. About once a month, I look over the activities for the upcoming weeks, jot them down on an index card, post the card on the refrigerator, and move up the paper clips. The index card is a "reminder" to me to keep working on the basics, to do fun things! (not just "schooly" things), and to remember that little children think differently from adults. I read the advice in S&SGMR and think, "Oh, of course we should do that! Duh." And it brings me back in line with where my children really are in their development. Which, right at the moment.... they are dumping the toys all over the floor of their room and we are heading out to church in ten minutes! Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh. Gotta go. HTH. Good luck!

I think it looks very good, with two cautions:

1. I think you might be expecting too much writing from your four year old.

2. I wouldn't do reading together with the kids. My kids are less than a year apart and just finished K and 1st grade. I learned from experience that the kids will progress at different rates in math and reading, regardless of whether they start from a similar pace. I could have saved myself (and them) a lot of stress had I not tried to do math and phonics together.

Other than that, I think things look great!

Tara

I think it looks great. You might want to consider holding off on too many electives until you work with the basics for a few weeks/months. I did this with my new k'er and it is working really well. We've just been doing LA, Math, and readalouds (inc. science) for 2 months and we are ready to add art, Spanish, and geography. It helped him adjust to more structured academics without stressing him out with too much at once. I didn't do it on purpose, just didn't have the funds for the extras when we started K, but I'm glad that it worked out this way.

I think it looks good. :)

I have to second (or third) RightStart Math. I'm doing level A with my nearly 6 year old and we love it. I also like the Let's-Read-And-Find-Out books. I tend to buy them since I have several kids and they're very reasonably priced, if your library doesn't have them.

I think it looks great --- my list has grown crazy long, but I'm trying to realize that I don't really see this as a one year list, more like 2-3 years. LOL

I have been using CM principles for read alouds and narration and it really does work. If I keep the reading to just about 15 minutes, my ds is able to recall most of the selection. We've been reading Babe, The Gallant Pig (I think that is the full title, I could use some narration myself) and we read it as they are finishing up lunch (they are slow eaters, I'm fast). I make my ds tell me what happened the last time we read before I will start reading the new chapter, as well.

Good luck mama! I'm glad to know there are going to be so many other mamas I can look to on these boards who have children the same age as mine. :)

Just two more resources you might like to investigate. We are REALLY enjoying Music for Little Mozarts at our house! The program is divided into levels, so you could just purchase the materials for only one level to see if it fits your family and teaching/learning styles. The girls LOVE singing and moving to the Hello Song, learning about rhythms, high & low sounds, soft & loud songs (especially LOUD SOUNDS!), rests, how to sit at the piano, and the storyline about Beethoven Bear and Mozart Mouse (adorable). Even my husband had to admit it's very well done and truly adorable. Well worth investing in and doing.

http://musicforlittlemozarts.com/piano_course.html

The other component of "our" music program here is for me! I'm trying to add to my limited skills by studying this:

http://www.alfred.com/alfredweb/front/General.aspx?pageid=268&catid=55

Be sure to get three components: (1) Student workbook; (2) Teacher guide/answer key; and (3) Ear-training CDs. I got my set from Rainbow Resource and it is definitely improving my understanding of and appreciation of music.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1249822034-1700698&subject=17&category=5676

Finally, for Spanish, we are singing and dancing to these:

http://www.sara-jordan.com/SpanishBMenu.shtml

Even my 2.5 year old twins are singing in Spanish! It's a riot.

And we also enjoy watching this DVD about once a week:

http://www.brainybaby.com/shop/html/Products/Videos/Spanish-55.html

Thanks for the links --- very intrigued by the mozart one!

I think it looks good, too! My 2 cents--

Personally, I'd hold off on piano lessons until first or second grade, as they will go much faster. Just enjoying music now and perhaps listening intentionally to certain composers would be enough for prek-k.

I also would wait on drawing curricula--exposure to art styles and providing lots and lots of experience with various media are your best bet for prek and K art. If they become familiar with the multitude of ways to use paint, crayons, pastels, chalk, paper, scissors, clay, etc., then art instruction can go much faster--let them mess around and be more process based than product based now. I thoroughly agree with the book, Creative Art for the Developing Child. It's wonderful, teaches about the various stages of artistic development, and helps bridge preschool and elementary school.

It does sound like you are going to have a relaxed, sweet year!

Looks wonderful! You're so lucky to have the state park program nearby. I know you've gotten mixed responses about whether or not to try a formal math program - I would say it depends on how your kids do with math. If one or both of them seems to really like math and wants more, I would try a formal program. I like Singapore math, but I have heard good things about RS as well. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with waiting till next year for formal math if they just aren't into it yet.

Looks great! Good research, and holding off on formal curric. allows your children to still be kids while they are kids!!! :D I'm so happy that you and your dh are working together so well on this, and I think you'll have a great year!

As a pp mentioned, despite all your research, it is possible that one or more things you've picked won't go over well with the children, or one of them. That's okay. Go with the flow, and keep on moving forward! There's a lot available these days to choose from.

Best wishes on your coming year!

Thank you so much. The jittery butterflies are easing.

I will keep an eye out for Right Start and possibly Saxon (we used these when I was in elementary school and it was one of my personal favorites as a kid).

For math books, I like our nonfiction kid's section and I figured that I would let the kids pick what they are interested in reading. Some are on money, counting, shapes, etc. For instance there's one that is called Nifty Thrifty crafts for Kids Math by Michele C. Hollow. I know that I may need some "guidance" to help direct our math, so I imagine that I will eventually find one of the curriculum books.

With access to the whole county system library, I can request books from the home computer! Have I mentioned how much I love Davidson County's Library System!!! Brainy Baby Spanish, Let's Read and Find Out, and the Honey for a Child's Heart are now on my Request list.

Thank you Sahamamama for the music resources. I'm going to keep an eye out for them as well.

We're in a bit of a financial crunch, so I'll be making the rounds during the fall consignment sales and checking our used book store venues for these programs, curriculum's and ideas.

For the writing and art, I hope to not overstress either one. My dd seems to be at the same level as my son, so I think together they'll do fine. The art is going to be more coloring, crafts and simple introductions to different paints, etc. More for the imagination to run wild.

I'm more visual, so it helps me to outline what a year will look like and try to keep me more focused. I tend to get sidetracked and I don't want to burden them with my desires to try the "next best thing!!!"

Thank you again. :D

I wish to third (or fourth?) the recommendation for beginning Right Start Math in kindergarten. I feel extremely fortunate that I found this right from the beginning. Unfortunately, we began with "B" instead of "A." (My son went to public school for kindergarten and we began Right Start in May to see if home schooling would work for us.) If I had "A" hanging around, I would mail it to you. I feel that strongly about sharing it with others.

An interesting aside: I was attending graduate school in elementary teaching a few years before I discovered Right Start. I was pleased to find all of the most successful mathematics pedagogy in RS! Read the introduction --- it's the same in all the levels of RS, and might be on their website as well. http://www.rightstartmath.com

Have fun!

Julie

Cindy, I like your outline. I'm teaching a K'er and 1st grader this year and "financial crunch" definitely describes us, too :)

We're using MEP for math. It's free :cheers2: and supposed to be very, very good. I like what I see so far. I'm doing Year 1 with my younger DD. She likes math and I think she'll enjoy it.

For the writing and art, I hope to not overstress either one. My dd seems to be at the same level as my son, so I think together they'll do fine. The art is going to be more coloring, crafts and simple introductions to different paints, etc. More for the imagination to run wild.

See if your library has this book:

The Art of Teaching Art to Children: In School and at Home

I'm reading it now and wish I'd read it years ago. Not stressing is just what she stresses! ;)

We're using MEP for math. It's free :cheers2: and supposed to be very, very good. I like what I see so far. I'm doing Year 1 with my younger DD. She likes math and I think she'll enjoy it.

Just checked it out. This is perfect. It even has the year outlined, so we can plug and play!

darlasowders...See if your library has this book:

The Art of Teaching Art to Children: In School and at Home

I'm reading it now and wish I'd read it years ago. Not stressing is just what she stresses! ;)

Yes, it does and is on my list for the next library trip. They have multiple copies.

I'm super excited. Thank you, ladies! Trying not to overdo it as we approach our first day of school next Monday....:001_huh:

• 4 months later...
Guest jennrfd

I'm so excited to have found these forums, and this post especially! I have a 3 1/2 yr old son and a 2 yr old daughter, and I'm planning to start homeschooling next fall. I'm going to take it easy for the first year, but this outline looks fabulous and I'm sure I'll borrow a lot of your ideas once he gets to the kindergarten level!

Now that it's December, I'm wondering how it's worked out for you so far?

Maybe this is a dumb question, but if there's some grand abbreviation list out there, I haven't found it yet!

What is MEP?

And I agree with everyone who has said, don't get bogged down! Stick to the basics and do the fun stuff as it comes along and you have time (and energy!). I'm teaching 4K and 5K this year and I have to remember that if school only takes an hour today, that's okay! The time they spent outside in the backyard tracking the neighborhood owl was more than enough science for the week. :001_smile:

Well, I did Beechick's suggestions for K and it was AWESOME!! I use Rightstart now and it's great too, (started in level B w/ no problems at all in first grade), but would not change anything about using Beechick . We were able to progress so far w/ math using her methods that halfway through K my friend was insisting I check out her Saxon, so I did. It was grade 2 material, and there were less than 10 lessons that we hadn't covered. There's nothing wrong w/ any of the curriculum suggested, but I loved Beechick and would use it now if I had the time to plan it!

You're getting a lot of math advice. Here's some more! I just got it in the mail, but the RS math games looks like a lot of fun. It has a list in the back that says which games are appropriate for which grades. I thought I'd go through the K list and play them with my kids instead of doing such formal math at this age. Just an idea :)

As I'm about to have a baby, I'm taking it really easy here. I just focus on LA, reading every day, and math. I've bought science, history, and art books for the dd's to look at. We'll go through them and look at them together occasionally, but I'm not stressing about the extra subjects just yet. I want to get them a good foundation in the three R's first. We'll start in earnest next year for 1st grade.

But hey, if you've got the time to do all you've planned... go for it! It looks like a great plan!

What is MEP?

MEP stands for the Mathematics Enhancement Programme. It is a program maintained by a British University whose aim is to improve math education in the United Kingdom. The series is based on a highly esteemed Hungarian math program. There are both lesson plans and accompanying workbooks. All the materials can be down-loaded and used without charge.

It's a top-flight math program that really challenges children to think and reason. This make it fun in a "my brain hurts" kind of way.

The materials can be found here. We love it.

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

I continue to be grateful that we started our math adventure with a great deal of Cuisenaire Rod play using Miquon, and that I read the three Miquon teachers books.

This step laid a wonderful foundation for everything that's come since (which isn't that much since we're still in kindergarten) but Singapore and MEP really clicked after being used to re-grouping number vales through "rod play".

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jennrfd & Fellow Beginners,

I can't believe the year is half way over. It seems like yesterday when I posted this outline. Thank you to all of you that gave suggestions and I still have more to check out. I have Beechick's books in the living room with Charlotte Mason and a wide variety of others that I want to review as I set up this next semester.

The Honey for a Child's Heart has been my main book list for getting our bedtime and fun reading stories. Thank you, krazzymommy!!! The books are wonderful. I've already recommended the book to several other parents.

Overall, the main subjects went well: bible, reading, math, writing, and spanish. The extra activities were definitely hit and miss.

Bible: We're almost through the Children's Bible. The children love reading and they are getting great at narrating the little story back. I realized that this year needs to be completely focused on the Bible, so I am going to look for a Bible Study Plan or find a way to better introduce them to the characters, stories and more before venturing down the road of explaining different religions.

-Reading: OPGTR is working well for my son. We stayed on track and he's picking up the concepts with little difficulty. My daughter is moving more slowly, but I expected it and play more with her on the sounds and blends. She also liked Phonics Pathways (which I checked out from the library for a while). I think she liked having a book of her own! We're back to the OPGTR, but using the magnetic board a lot more.

-Math--Son is moving along well. We use MEP, but it isn't as dedicated as the OPGTR. We jump in and out, but do a lot of "Fun math" with games and questioning, beans, etc. He likes numbers. Daughter, I have other "fun" prek workbooks where she plays with shapes, sorting, numbers, etc. She's quickly moved away from the MEP concepts--just not ready yet.

Writing--Both are together and complete a page of letters or write their name. We're moving slowly, but they enjoy getting graded (I circle their good ones and put a star by the best--I don't know why, but they seem to like that).

-Spanish--They love Salsa Spanish and flew through the lessons. We don't do as the plans say and spend a full week or three on each episode. They tend to watch a video a day, but I review and we bring up the vocabulary throughout the week. They are picking it up so fast. I'm going to need to put together more ideas for the Spanish.

-Science: We have a great Nature program covering topics through the State park once a week. They get to do show and tell, a craft/activity, listen to books and learn something about Nature/TN/animals/etc.

They like checking out "science" books from the library, so we've covered the human body, volcanoes, weather, dinosaurs, stars, planets, etc. in a very random way.

-Music was completely scrapped. We did it the first week and that was it. I hope to start it this semester.

-Art started out strong, but fizzled toward the end. I really liked The Art of Teaching Children in School and Home (Thanks, darlasowders). Collages went great. Painting--Perfect. Drawing--not so much. Will reread and be better prepared this semester.

I don't plan on changing much this time around. I hope to tweak our schedule a little bit just to enhance their experience. I discovered that we have to set and stick to the schedule. For both them and myself. For me, when I have things planned ahead, then I'm not as nippy and frustrated which definitely makes for unpleasant teaching.

I do love seeing them grow and learn. It has been such a fulfilling year. I look forward to this journey even though I'm always questioning curriculum, styles, ideas, etc!

I hope this helps. Thank you again for all the experienced advice.

Edited by CindyPTN
Wrong Abbreviations