Menu

My original post divorce and remarriage plan included getting a Masters degree.......

But life has happened (and been imposed) on my family so hard that I have not been able to go there.

I am 43. I need a plan for my future that does not include $400 a month in child support, cleaning buildings or running poker tournaments.

I've always wanted to be a counselor. Addiction and substance abuse seems like a "no brainer" but I really don't want to specialize in that - I want my time helping others in that way to remain avocational. Since my first marriage, I've wanted to be able to assist women emerging from abusive relationships and navigating the legal system. Especially when the abuse was not physical.

Time, money and family resources are at a premium. However, so is my sanity, my soul, my whole-person future.

The bottom line is that next week, I am going to attend an open house for a nearby Masters Ed., Masters in Counseling.

http://www.coe.uh.edu/mycoe/epsy/masters/counseling/default.cfm

Dave Ramsey fans stop reading. I am pretty willing to do this using student loans. It's sad that I'd qualify for me scholarships divorced. :confused: In any case, I am not going to allow my life situation (read: XH) continue to destroy me by me not choosing what's best - long term - for me and therefore my family.

Joanne,

I am a Dave Ramsey fan...and I still say GO FOR IT! If this is your life's work you need to take steps so that you can get involved in it sooner rather than later.

Wishing you the very best!

Diane

Edited by Diane in CO
Misspelled name...Sorry about that!

Go for it! Passion sometimes is the drive we need to pull us through. I hear passion in your post. If a school loan is what you need to get you where you need to be, then at this time in your life, I say it's worth it. I like Dave Ramsey, I like his ideas and plans, but for some of us life does happen and you have to make the best of it.

My dear, dear friend got her masters in counseling about 3 years ago. She is actually working on the adult side of my son's treatment center. She feels it is what God would have her do--and she's darn good at it. I'm pretty sure they went the student loan route, and she makes a fine wage and has a workable schedule. She's actually interviewing so that she doesn't have to work in a residential center, because she has to attend holiday celebrations there and has some other issues with it, but overall, her degree has opened the door to more happiness in her life, her family's lives, and the lives of her clients.

Go for it.

go for it.

My dh has an unspeakable amount of student loan debt. Not all of it was taken out wisely but I cannot imagine our lives without his degrees. Yes, we could do a lot with that payment money if we didn't have it but there was no way for him to have earning potential without it. The quality of our lives and his income now (and potential growth) is so, so worth the payment. It would have been nice to have someone else to foot the bill but that wasn't going to happen.

It's been a while so I'm not sure about all the details but dh's loans were federally guaranteed and there are lots of repayment options. There is one where you only pay 15% max of your income and others that really stretch out the repayment period. The ones where you are dealing directly with the government have many repayment programs. My mom works in student loan collections and they will work with you.

I have family members that have private loans and they do not have the repayment options we have.

I'm sure you knew all that already. Go for it!

Marie

I finished an Master's in Marriage and Family Therapy 2 years ago (age 44). It had been a dream of mine since h.s. and my original goal with my first master's...in other words it remained an unfulfilled dream. I loved the learning, the reading, the clients, the challenge. Yes, it was a stretch emotionally, homeschooling, financially. My dh was totally supportive, even though I am still not licensed and have been home f.t. since.

I really believe that most of us won't regret so much what we have done in life, but what we've left undone.

My 18 yo just signed up for a beauty pagent. She is terrified becasue she's not a size 3, not petitie and not conventional. She is a tall, athletic beauty but not the "norm"-kwim? But, we both know that when she's my age with a slew of kids, and doing whatever, she'll look back and say, "I DID IT!" No regrets.

And btw, what a need you would fill. My sil is going through an ugly divorce, spending 1000's, becasue there is no one to guide her and her almost x has money. UGLY!!

But life has happened (and been imposed) on my family so hard that I have not been able to go there.

I am 43. I need a plan for my future that does not include $400 a month in child support, cleaning buildings or running poker tournaments.

I've always wanted to be a counselor. Addiction and substance abuse seems like a "no brainer" but I really don't want to specialize in that - I want my time helping others in that way to remain avocational. Since my first marriage, I've wanted to be able to assist women emerging from abusive relationships and navigating the legal system. Especially when the abuse was not physical.

Time, money and family resources are at a premium. However, so is my sanity, my soul, my whole-person future.

The bottom line is that next week, I am going to attend an open house for a nearby Masters Ed., Masters in Counseling.

Dave Ramsey fans stop reading. I am pretty willing to do this using student loans. It's sad that I'd qualify for me scholarships divorced. :confused: In any case, I am not going to allow my life situation (read: XH) continue to destroy me by me not choosing what's best - long term - for me and therefore my family.

DR fan,but I say go for it! I'm excited for you.

Student loans don't have to be *bad* if you can commit to managing them wisely. What gets people in trouble is forgetting the size of the payments down the road.

Joanne, if anyone should go for it, you should. You deserve to reach for the dreams you've had. :grouphug:

I can say that I think it was worth it. I'm nearly finished. Two more classes to go. And this year I will be working part-time while homeschooling to *hopefully* not have to take out more for this last leg.

It would not have been possible without the loans. We did not have the money. I could not have worked days and gone to school nights (like Dave would recommend) and still care for my family.

Borrow what you need to live your dream and improve your future.

We have been paying on dh's student loans for 8 years. Without them, he would not have the job that enabled me to be home with our dc for 9 years.

We make life decisions. Some cost money that is not in our pockets YET.

Education costs are an investment in a better financial future.

Best of luck to you!

Leveraging debt to fulfill a dream of graduate school gets 2 thumbs up from this gal who thinks Dave Ramsey is mostly right on.

We've leverage scads of debt to fulfill our long term financial goals with real estate. It would probably take Dave Ramsey himself, working our numbers in front of my nose before I'd be convinced that debt can't be used wisely and well to create the world you dream of . . .

It only makes sense for a gifted woman to do whatever she has to do to secure the platform needed to fulfill her destiny.

Perhaps I'm biased because it was from you that I started to unfold the mother I really wanted to be . . . I think you're gifted with communication, seeing clearly a situation, speaking to the nitty-gritty instead of getting caught up in the crazy.

Go for it, Joanne. Cheering you on!

I took out $10,000 in student loans for undergrad and grad school - finishing 27 years ago. I didn't work for 17 1/2 years while having many children. I can now work part time and make $50 per hour. I wish every one had that ability. In fact I have read your posts and wish you could make more money so life wouldn't be as hard for you.

When we went to marriage counseling we paid $125 per 45 minutes. The counselor was in private practice and had to pay building rent and other expenses, but that still adds up to some good money.

I wish you every blessing in your endeavor. My only advice is to research and make sure you are going an efficient route and what you end up with will qualify you for what you want to do.

I was a freshman in college at the age of 34 and when it came to the big decision of declaring my major, I followed my heart. Despite some naysayers, I entered the Fine Arts program and graduated four years later with my Art degree in painting. If I had done anything else, it would have been simply wrong! And I put myself through school with a combination of grants, scholarships and loans. I am still paying for my education, but you know, I have always thought of it as an investment. I made a pledge to myself to never buy a brand new car, and I can live with that.

God created each of us with gifts, skills and abilities and we need to honor that. No one has a right to dictate that choice for us, NO ONE!

Blessings,

Lucinda

You know, I may be the most uptight person about money-budgeting/frugality you'll ever meet, but I think that student loans for degrees with solid earning potential are a good investment.

Go for it! Good for you!

I couldn't agree more!

Joanne, you've GOT to do this for you, and for your family's future.

Really---- this is the moment. GRAB IT!

Sending you hugs,

Astrid