Menu

Do you eat tilapia farm raised in China?

No...sigh. I used to eat it fairly regularly, but then I read about the stuff they feed the tilapia. We don't eat farm raised salmon anymore either. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it.

I don't understand how the nutrition experts tell us to eat fish twice a week for our health, but the fishing/wildlife experts tell us so much fish is contaminated, bad for the water, or overfished.

No...sigh. I used to eat it fairly regularly, but then I read about the stuff they feed the tilapia. We don't eat farm raised salmon anymore either. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it.

I don't understand how the nutrition experts tell us to eat fish twice a week for our health, but the fishing/wildlife experts tell us so much fish is contaminated, bad for the water, or overfished.

Yes this puzzles me too.

No. I do not.

You might enjoy the book Animal, Vegetable, Mriacle. It's about local foods and a family who tried to eat only what they raised and grew (for a year). I don't think I could ever do such a thing, (chocloate, olive oil, wine??) But it was a great read.

Edited by LibraryLover

No.

I don't eat farm raised anything. The fact that it is from China would further distance me from this product. They just don't have the same food standards over there as we do (and ours aren't that hot to begin with):glare:

American farm -raised shrimp is on the 'ok ecologically' list. Thai (and other Asian farm raised shrimp) shrimp is nope and nope, and environemntally it's devastating and unsustainable.

Yes this puzzles me too.

There are guidelines. Complicated and $$ at times, but there is much fish that is fine to eat in amounts as little as twice a week.

I found wild shrimp today at a small local market. We do eat wild salmon as well.

Edited by LibraryLover

No, I refuse. The only fish I will get for family is wild alaskan:)

We eat mostly wild Alaskan salmon or Norwegian salmon. My dh loves to fish, so we will occasionally eat yellowtail or red snapper that he catches. We have definitely cut back on our consumption of fish after reading all the concerns about mercury and other contaminants.

Well, considering the fact that China puts lead and "date rape" drugs into our children's toys....oh and then melamine in our baby formula.......

NO! Would not knowingly eat food from China.

I don't eat farmed Salmon from Canada or the Lower 48 either.

Not only is it unhealthy to do so, it also is infiltrating the wild alaskan salmon population.

If you buy canned fruit it is pretty much a guarantee it is from China. I once TRIED to find canned fruit that wasn't from China and it was quite difficult. Not that we eat much canned fruit. The point is, you likely don't know where most of your food comes from. I made myself crazy trying to only buy certain foods from certain places. I can't afford it, and my nerves can't take it. So I just buy food and eat it.

It will say made in China or grown in China?

Ughhhhh.....How can this be cheaper than growing it here?

I mean - all the gas and work to ship it!!! And somehow that's cheaper than just raising and canning here?!?!?!

Good grief. When are we closing the borders to Chinese food?

I think as consumers, we should also voice our displeasure not only with our wallets but also by complaining to the management of the stores and manufacturers as well:)

I carefully check all food anymore since I have found made in china or elsewhere on many food labels including frozen green beans. Even organic ones are showing made in china label:confused:

I think it is a security issue if America cannot even grow our own food as well as an environmental issue. We need farm land and small farms:001_smile:

If you buy canned fruit it is pretty much a guarantee it is from China.
what??????????????? I just went and checked and you're right, on my food at least. :cursing: That's the main way we eat fruit. Guess I should go out and buy a bunch of fresh fruit this summer and can it. And people look at me strange when I tell them I'm growing black and kidney beans in my garden this year......I want to know where my food comes from and have it not have chemicals on it if possible!!!

Trader Joe's has wild raised fish. Most of the canned salmon available in grocery stores is wild caught, product of US. Also, I sometimes buy fresh fish, knowing that it is brought in from the coast. Fresh is usually more expensive, but in buying it, I'm supporting local fisherman.

But that was before I happened to notice the teeny tiny print on the back of the package of my "wild caught" salmon (frozen, from Sam's) was from China. ??? Dh and I read all the frozen fish labels and found one brand whose fish was wild caught from Chile (or so it says). We now only buy that one, but can ONLY find salmon as an option. It'd good, so we don't mind, but I sure do miss an assortment of fish.

As for the canned veggies, that caught me off guard. I'm so tired of turning everything around to see where it's made. I was thrilled to find click erasers the other day that were made in Japan instead of China. How sad is that?

I'm in total agreement with everyone who believes that by not producing the bulk of our own food here in the U.S. that we are in danger. Can you just imagine the possibilities of a food shortage, or worse????

:lol: I think I reacted so because I have a strong "hang up" regarding products from China. I share your hesitations about "farm raised".

We are the same here. It is funny how we all look at things differently. The "farm raised" struck me where as "China" was important to you. We don't do either farm raised or food from China.

Trader Joe's has wild raised fish. Most of the canned salmon available in grocery stores is wild caught, product of US. Also, I sometimes buy fresh fish, knowing that it is brought in from the coast. Fresh is usually more expensive, but in buying it, I'm supporting local fisherman.

I will also be the advocate for the humble anchovy. Most people will not want to eat them straight of the can or jar, but the anchovy is an excellent base for sauces, is used in Caesar salad dressing, etc.--all examples of a little fish going a long way for flavor.

Jane

I will also be the advocate for the humble anchovy. Most people will not want to eat them straight of the can or jar, but the anchovy is an excellent base for sauces, is used in Caesar salad dressing, etc.--all examples of a little fish going a long way for flavor.

Jane

Love them.