Menu

Hot and Bothered

Hot and bothered. What does that phrase mean to you? I remember using it in high school as a sexual phrase meaning "I want you now you hot thing!" :blush:

My dad has twice in the last month said "Your mom is hot and bothered about _______". It usually has something to do with an incident that has made her mad.

I have a hard time with him using that phrase. It brings images I do not want in my head :eek:

Has it always had the meaning my dad is using or has it changed? We were talking in a homeschool mom's meeting about how you need to be careful with phrases like that becasue sometimes the meanings change and it can be embarrassing to use it the wrong way.

Just curious.

That's funny. I think the original meaning was your dad's:

hot and bothered Informal In a state of agitated excitement; flustered: all hot and bothered before the opening performance.

Of course, don't forget that you wouldn't be here if your mom, at one time, hadn't been hot to trot and she and your dad hadn't gotten hot and heavy!

Edited by Nicole M

I try to stay on top of how phrases are used, but they do change. I'm one who thinks like you do about "hot and bothered" but I've heard it used like your dad is meaning as well.

I remember as a very young child telling my father he was acting "queer" because I'd read it in the context of "strange" in an old book (Maybe a Little House, but I don't remember exactly). My dad was not too receptive to the word, LOL.

Since then I try to follow trends but was caught off guard recently when I told my neice I'd drive her across town to "hook up with" her boyfriend. I remember it being used as "meeting up" but her shock was evident when she asked me, "Aunt Stacie, what exactly do you think of me?" Oops!!

I wonder if it is a generational thing or just my graduation class (1993).

Well, words do change over time and sometimes words or phrases that have more than one meaning get beaten out by the dominant usage.

"Gay" used to mean happy. I don't think anybody uses it to mean that anymore.

Since then I try to follow trends but was caught off guard recently when I told my neice I'd drive her across town to "hook up with" her boyfriend. I remember it being used as "meeting up" but her shock was evident when she asked me, "Aunt Stacie, what exactly do you think of me?" Oops!!

That was the phrase that got us talking at our homeschool meeting about changing meanings.

It seems like a leap to make "you, hot babe" and "hot and bothered" similarly s*xual. Don't you physically, get hot and bothered, when at the store and your kids are misbehaving terribly? I am, at once, extremely sweaty and flustered when that happens to me. :glare:

ETA: You could just ask your dad to use "hot under the collar".

It seems like a leap to make "you, hot babe" and "hot and bothered" similarly s*xual. Don't you physically, get hot and bothered, when at the store and your kids are misbehaving terribly? I am, at once, extremely sweaty and flustered when that happens to me. :glare:

ETA: You could just ask your dad to use "hot under the collar".

I understand how the phrase probably started out with my dad's meaning but in hs we used it to say we wanted s*x.

I'm not actually going to ask my dad to use a different phrase because then I'd have to tell him how I think about the meaning of the phrase. :leaving: How much fun would that be?

I wonder if it is a generational thing or just my graduation class (1993).

I graduated in 92 and that phrase had a definite sexual connotation to it among people more or less my age, and in my part of the world (could be regional differences too?).

I noticed that with our grandparents' generation that it meant something entirely different (angry, frustrated). But it always throws me off to hear it used that way, so I can imagine how you feel!

Hot and bothered. What does that phrase mean to you? I remember using it in high school as a sexual phrase meaning "I want you now you hot thing!" :blush:

My dad has twice in the last month said "Your mom is hot and bothered about _______". It usually has something to do with an incident that has made her mad.

To me, it has always had a sexual connotation. So your dad using it that way is way off. ;)

My dad really needs to come up with a new phrase because I can't handle him telling me that my mom is hot and bothered. I rarely hear the rest because I'm trying to block it out. :crying:

:iagree:

This. If I had EVER heard my parents say this I would only be able to rise above the squidgy feelings within me by utilizing the skill of a licensed therapy and handpuppets.

Ohmy. I need to go lie down and rock myself to sleep.

I graduated in 92 and that phrase had a definite sexual connotation to it among people more or less my age, and in my part of the world (could be regional differences too?).

I noticed that with our grandparents' generation that it meant something entirely different (angry, frustrated). But it always throws me off to hear it used that way, so I can imagine how you feel!

1994 graduating class and :iagree:

That's funny. I think the original meaning was your dad's:

hot and bothered Informal In a state of agitated excitement; flustered: all hot and bothered before the opening performance.

Of course, don't forget that you wouldn't be here if your mom, at one time, hadn't been hot to trot and she and your dad hadn't gotten hot and heavy!

:lol:

I graduated in 94, and I'd not appreciate having my dad tell me about my mom being hot and bothered about anything, either.

It must be a generational thing because I would take it to mean "flustered."

Of course in 1993 when you guys were graduating from hs, I already had 3 kids. :001_smile:

I only had one kid in '93, but was thinkin' the same, that it must be generational. I'm also thinkin' that someday these little whippersnappers will hear their father say hot-n-bothered and instead of getting their knickers in a twist, they'll be delighted for their moms. I mean, I'm old enough that knowing my parents still have the drive is better than the alternative, which is them being dead. (Not to put too fine a point on it, or anything....)

Class of '93 and I would be red-faced if my father used it to reference my mother too! Kinda like how my dh's 80yo grandmother used to say she "pulled a boner" when she made a mistake! :blushing:

Oh, my goodness! That would have had me rolling!

When AIDS hit the scene, my grandmother asked me quite seriously what those things were that people keep talking about, these condoms. "Are they the things you slide over a man's pen!s?" she asked. When I said yes, she said, "Oh. We just called them French Specials. Horace always took care of that business."

I'm class of '88, and I say don't get all hot and bothered and about your dad saying hot and bothered. :D

Based on graduation dates, evidently that phrase starting meaning just the one thing in the early 90's. Remind me in 20 years, because my kids will probably be horrified when I talk about bookshelves and making tea, and I'll be totally oblivious. :lol:

Oh, my goodness! That would have had me rolling!

When AIDS hit the scene, my grandmother asked me quite seriously what those things were that people keep talking about, these condoms. "Are they the things you slide over a man's pen!s?" she asked. When I said yes, she said, "Oh. We just called them French Specials. Horace always took care of that business."

:lol:

In a very strange way, that's so cute.

Of course, I use it for BOTH meanings, just to keep everyone guessing and I have a third meaning where I often use it: Being in a technology field, I will often say something along the lines of "Joe was all hot-and-bothered about the new iPhone he bought."

Just using it the same way as others do doesn't work for Reg! :D

P.S. I ain't sayin' when I graduated!

you KNOW what your dad means when he says it, so I think you should just adjust your perception of hearing him say it.

I'm sure I will but it might take some effort. The second time I heard him say it I knew what he was talking about. It was the first time that really threw me.

I have a very good imagination which is good at times but I tend to visualize everything I hear.

I am also class of '84 and have heard it both ways, but would only think of the way your dad means unless it were said in a "wink, wink" sort of way. I do think that any phrase can be turned into that sort of meaning in the right hands. I have been around people in my younger years who were very good at twisting. Then if a phrase gets twisted in a popular movie or book it can stick.

I try to stay on top of how phrases are used, but they do change. I'm one who thinks like you do about "hot and bothered" but I've heard it used like your dad is meaning as well.

I remember as a very young child telling my father he was acting "queer" because I'd read it in the context of "strange" in an old book (Maybe a Little House, but I don't remember exactly). My dad was not too receptive to the word, LOL.

That's one I still use with the old meaning, and not always understood that way!

I was buying into the generation thing and accepting that I belong to the older generation as it has always meant angry, frustrated to me BUT then I asked my hubby who is a little older than me and he thought it meant the other way. I am glad we worked that out though because if I told him I was all hot and bothered and he thought that that meant I was in the mood when I really had a bee in my bonnet, well, I can see where that wouldn't end well.

Isn't it interesting how things like this have different meanings, sometimes generational? It's like the phrase "ho0king up." In my generation, it meant meeting someone somewhere, but it didn't imply any se#ual intent. Now, of course, that's different. It was hilarious the day the pastor used the phrase to talk about meeting someone and all of the college and high school students gave an audible gasp. I hope one of his dc told him the problem afterward, because I didn't have the guts to tell him. :)

I do think that any phrase can be turned into that sort of meaning in the right hands. I have been around people in my younger years who were very good at twisting.

:lol::lol::lol: This just cracked me up so much. I instantly thought of that crazy Monty Python skit.

Isn't it interesting how things like this have different meanings, sometimes generational? It's like the phrase "ho0king up." In my generation, it meant meeting someone somewhere, but it didn't imply any se#ual intent. Now, of course, that's different. It was hilarious the day the pastor used the phrase to talk about meeting someone and all of the college and high school students gave an audible gasp. I hope one of his dc told him the problem afterward, because I didn't have the guts to tell him. :)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Oh!! Poor man! hehehehehe

:iagree:

This. If I had EVER heard my parents say this I would only be able to rise above the squidgy feelings within me by utilizing the skill of a licensed therapy and handpuppets.

Ohmy. I need to go lie down and rock myself to sleep.

:lol::lol::lol:

It has a s$#ual connotation to me.

It reminded me of my MIL. She is a grumpy woman that loves to put people in their place. She will tell dh and I that she is going to chew them out the next time she sees them, but instead of saying chew, she says "eat". Dh and I have to look away and rub our faces to keep from laughing. And dh says there is no way that HE is going to tell her to stop saying it, because he is too grossed out about discussing that with her.

And the bad thing is that she says it all.the.time.

:ack2:

It reminded me of my MIL. She is a grumpy woman that loves to put people in their place. She will tell dh and I that she is going to chew them out the next time she sees them, but instead of saying chew, she says "eat". Dh and I have to look away and rub our faces to keep from laughing. And dh says there is no way that HE is going to tell her to stop saying it, because he is too grossed out about discussing that with her.

:ohmy: :lol::lol::lol:

Ohmy. Ohdear.

Thanks a LOT!! I just had to go bleach my brain. I don't even know what your MIL looks like, but still......

images.

in.

head.

won't.

go.

away.

:001_huh:

Oh my, oh my, oh my. :lol: