Menu

Now that we're on to this next stage, I'm finding fewer curricula out there specifically for homeschoolers and even less that's secular. I remember the mind boggling array of products for K-4, but not now.

So, I was wondering what were your best and worst picks for secular curricula for the logic stage (in any subject)! Why did you and/or your dc love or hate it?

So far, my best pick is Oak Meadow (esp. Science and Social Studies). I like the flexibility and thought-provoking nature of it.

I don't have a worst pick for logic stage ... yet.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best:

Analytical Grammar

Write Shop

Lightning Literature

Megawords

Science Explorer

Exploration Education

TOPS Rocks & Minerals

Math-U-See

Singapore's Challenging Word Problems

Worst:

Art of Argument

Not best/worst - somewhat respect but dislike:

History Odyssey

Noeo Science

If you don't mind my asking, what about Analytical Grammar makes it one of your "best?" I've looked at it online, and it seems interesting, but there's not much to go on at the website and it seems so pricey (for me).

Best:

TT math

GWG (with some caution - I wouldnt use this year after year)

Winston Grammar

Spelling Power

NOEO Chemistry

Visualize World Geo

Artistic Pursuits (I've only used about 1/3 of this and so far it is secular)

Jensen's Format Writing (again, havent used the entire text, but so far secular)

Maybe DITHOR could be used secular. But you would have to omit whatever discussion questions bothered you and then, I am not sure it would be worth the effort. My only thinking is that you could select the books you want and apply what you want from the DITHOR guide. Again, not sure if that would even be a good fit

MUS is okay - not a best and not a worst

Not my Favorite:

Lightning Lit

WriteShop

Cant think of too much else at the moment.

Successful:

K12 history - Intermediate World History A and B

K12 science - Earth Science, Life Science, and Physical Science

K12 English - Intermediate A and B

History of US - Hakim

Analytical Grammar

Symbol and Sense - Writing Instruction for the Middle Grades

IEW TWSS

Mosdos Literature

CHalkdust PreAlgebra

Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings

So You Really Want to Learn Spanish, French

Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry II

Prentice Hall Science books

Harcourt Brace Grade 6 science

Our worst was Winston Grammar. Ugh.

Our best was Easy Grammar.

We liked Writing Strands and Saxon math; we just had been hsing long before they were published, and by the time they came along, we were almost finished (one dd) or were doing c.c. (other dd) and so we didn't *need* to finish them.

Favorites:

Michael Clay Thompson Language Arts

Sequential Spelling

Singapore Math

Dolciani Math

Oak Meadow

History Odyssey

Real Science 4 Kids

Things that have not worked for us:

Galore Park materials - especially Latin and English

Hake grammar

Growing with Grammar

Things by a religious publisher that seem secular/nearly secular and I really like:

First Start French

IEW (some materials)

TRISMS

Excellence in Literature

I don't know that I have anything with which I've been unhappy.

Math - Singapore; Key to series; MUS; we're using a book called Real World Algebra right now and like it, too....

Spelling - Spelling Workout

Handwriting - Getty-Dubay Italics

Writing - WordSmith Apprentice; McGraw Hill's Spectrum Writing; Writing Strands

Literature - I found a bunch of stuff online last year for covering literary elements. I posted about these recently in a lit thread.

Geography - Which Way, USA?; BF guides and maps with Holling books; various geography workbooks (Map Skills for Today, etc.)

Latin - Latin Primer/Grammar series. Sometimes has references to God, but I don't recall anything particularly religious about it.

History - SOTW, various encyclopedias and tons of library books.

Science - tend to use a living books approach for it, too, along with worksheets found online. Using MSNucleus.org site as "spine" for next year, but they have all areas of science for middle schoolers. Used a free, online program "Lab of Mr. Q", for biology topical review and reinforcement last year.

Used Mind Benders last year, for the second time around. I have yet to find a secular logic program, though, to teach formal logic....

About 99% secular.
Ay, there's the rub. The characters are Christian and Bible references are made (most commonly referencing the Ten Commandments). There's a rather bizarre interlude in one of the Algebra books in which a pastor describes a problem with a sermon to Fred and "cleans" it up by relating virgins (presumably from a Bible story) to batteries. The afterlife is occasionally referenced (most memorably when Fred's pet llama dies). Two of Fred's friends get pre-marital counseling with their pastor. But there's no preaching. I love Fred and frequently recommend it, but it's at the very edge of my comfort level. FWIW, there's very little in the way of Christian content in Fractions and Decimals & Percents.

Sue, I really like the way you started off the structure of this discussion. It is very helpful.

Ay, there's the rub. The characters are Christian and Bible references are made (most commonly referencing the Ten Commandments). There's a rather bizarre interlude in one of the Algebra books in which a pastor describes a problem with a sermon to Fred and "cleans" it up by relating virgins (presumably from a Bible story) to batteries. The afterlife is occasionally referenced (most memorably when Fred's pet llama dies). Two of Fred's friends get pre-marital counseling with their pastor. But there's no preaching. I love Fred and frequently recommend it, but it's at the very edge of my comfort level. FWIW, there's very little in the way of Christian content in Fractions and Decimals & Percents.
Moira, I really appreciate the detail that you went into on this. I didn't think to even worry about LOF. Wow, I wonder why people feel the need to put religion in a math program? Now I have another iffy program in the back of my mind.

Is it worth worrying about it and reading ahead of time in order to discuss it with DD, or better just to forget about it? ::sigh Does everyone else go through this complicated thought process over "borderline" curricula?

Life of Fred Fractions:

My dd (age 7) is using this and on p. 74 in the "your turn to play" section:

3. The "number of the beast" as mentioned in the Book of Revelation is 666. What is peculiar is that when 666 is written in Roman numerals, it uses all the basic symbols except M. Express 666 in Roman numerals.

I about fell out of my chair! She was clueless and just did the problem. I still like the program...just can't stand this type of thing in a math book!

Haven't seen anything in the decimals book that has made me cringe in quite the same way.

Lise (who is pretty new here and loving these boards)

Moira, I really appreciate the detail that you went into on this. I didn't think to even worry about LOF. Wow, I wonder why people feel the need to put religion in a math program? Now I have another iffy program in the back of my mind.
I've seen LoF referenced as secular on more than one occasion (though not by Schmidt), and was rather surprised on perusing Beginning Algebra to find it wasn't. I don't know why exactly, but the books don't get my hackles up. Perhaps I give them a pass because of the fictional aspect.

Is it worth worrying about it and reading ahead of time in order to discuss it with DD, or better just to forget about it? ::sigh Does everyone else go through this complicated thought process over "borderline" curricula?
I found nothing worth clarifying to DD the Elder in the first two books (there were references to the number of the beast; the Ten Commandments; and a rather amusing story with Fred imagining himself in Heaven being thanked by generations of people he'd read to as children). For the rest of the books, I think I'll just explain that the author and characters are Christian, just like many authors we read are Christian and write about Christian characters. I've read the texts minutely and don't see anything that even hints people *should* be Christian, or that there's anything wrong with not being Christian; I have a highly sensitive radar when it comes to this... though I admit that Fred might just be my weak spot.

I've seen LoF referenced as secular on more than one occasion (though not by Schmidt), and was rather surprised on perusing Beginning Algebra to find it wasn't. I don't know why exactly, but the books don't get my hackles up. Perhaps I give them a pass because of the fictional aspect.

I found nothing worth clarifying to DD the Elder in the first two books (there were references to the number of the beast; the Ten Commandments; and a rather amusing story with Fred imagining himself in Heaven being thanked by generations of people he'd read to as children). For the rest of the books, I think I'll just explain that the author and characters are Christian,

Thanks for even more information. Of course she will be able to understand that the author has different beliefs than us by the time she gets to the the higher level books. :cool:

Thanks for even more information. Of course she will be able to understand that the author has different beliefs than us by the time she gets to the the higher level books. :cool:

I think I'm close to putting my finger it -- Schmidt is just being himself; he's earnest without being judgmental or preachy... just the way I like my friends.

IMO, it's worth every penny. You can read my review here.

This thread addresses the expense of AG.

Thanks, Sue! :001_smile: I'm still going to have to think about it more, but your review (and the price explanation) have pushed me a little closer to AG for my ds, who really likes grammar.

What are you doing instead? :bigear:

I understand the argument for the way TWTM suggests history, and if you want that approach then HO is an excellent choice, but I want the kids to enjoy and be inspired by history, not be bored by it. So I've abandoned that kind of history for more of the fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants type. We are making it up as we go along, lots of reading, reference books where needed and the odd written up report on what has been learnt. So far it's working and J is enjoying it and learning much more. I do look longingly at more formal stuff, but it just doesn't work for us.

I'm thinking of 6-8, as my older two are risling 6th graders, and in 4th and 5th a lot of the stuff (Singapore, Getty-Dubay) carried over.

Here are some of the things I'm hoping will get us through the middle school years:

K12 Human Odyssey

CPO Science

Michael Clay Thompson LA

LOF math (mention of a preacher, as long as it's not preachy, does not disqualify it for me ;))

And if anyone does have a source for a good secular logic, please do let me know! Every time I see a new title mentioned I get all excited and check it out, only to find out that it is Christian. :glare: I'm this close to buying the Kreeft book and trying to parse it (someone please don't tell me that one isn't secular too).

And if anyone does have a source for a good secular logic, please do let me know! Every time I see a new title mentioned I get all excited and check it out, only to find out that it is Christian. :glare: I'm this close to buying the Kreeft book and trying to parse it (someone please don't tell me that one isn't secular too).
I think I'm about to order the the first few middle school books from IMACS Elements of Mathematics series. EM used to be available as a correspondence course. Unfortunately this option has been discontinued; however, it continues to be used as a classroom curriculum, and the texts are still available for purchase. Two of the modules I'll be getting are "Introductory Logic" and "Logic and Sets" -- both appropriate for bright middle schoolers. I'll let you know how they look.

Best: Galore Park Latin Prep, So You Really Want to Learn English, SY French, RE; LOF; Philosophy for Kids (White); LL7

Worst: Nothing really.

ETA: yes, that is an RE programme in a secular list. We study the bible for cultural knowledge and as a starting point for discussion - the Galore Park book is perfect for that.

Laura

Worst:

History Odyssey (very thorough and excellent reading selections but rather boring)

:iagree:

I understand the argument for the way TWTM suggests history, and if you want that approach then HO is an excellent choice, but I want the kids to enjoy and be inspired by history, not be bored by it.

:iagree:

What are you doing instead? :bigear:

I am trying to convince dh and ds to use History at our House. Wish me luck!

Since I needed a science for my seventh grader (as I was teaching the younger ones and had my hands full) we used K12 life science and physical science. It was a good option--I knew what the curriculum was based on (Core Knowledgge) and it was assuredly secular. He did lots of outside science reading on his own--self-motivated to do that. I think it does cover the bases toward HS science.

For History, what about "History at our House"?

Not a book.... but I know that it is totally secular.

I have soon to be 4th & 5th graders (how did that happen!) and here is some stuff I will be using....

L.A.: MCT LA series (these are really excellent! especially if you & kids are visual types), AAS when I finish that I will most likely go back to Sequential spelling, writing: a few of the "arrow" and freewriting from bravewriter, letting my boys have a web page on my blog whenever I start one.

Math: Singapore w/ key to... and starting LoF, Adventures of Penrose the Mathmatical Cat, Murderous Maths

Science: Dr. Arts guide to science, The Way Life Works, ring of fire. I am winging it on science this year. I refuse to buy another science program!

I will try HAOH this year and I have all the horrible histories and dead famous books. Also various Learning through History magazines.

I have become a bit of a secular snob, in that I can't tolerate much "extra curricular" in each subject. I used to modify a bit, but I still seemed to be able to avoid it, as the way those curriculum tend to be laid out was never appealing to me. Now I just can't tolerate it. :tongue_smilie: There are plenty of people who will buy that stuff anyway....

I look forward to some more suggestions...

Korin

who does not know how to make those little signature lines so many of you have:confused:

eta: UG. Blurgh. Urg. Sigh, OK starting another thread about Secular Logic so as not to derail this one.

:willy_nilly: Good luck. I've almost given up. I bought Critical Thinking by Anita Harnadek (definitely secular), but found that it is more geared towards group/class discussion. I suspect it will not work well with 1 mom and 1 monosyllabic teen. Sigh!

It is my understanding that the Kreeft book suggested is for adults, not logic stage students. I could be wrong.

I will have a 5th grader this year, so I've been watching this thread with great interest. I'm so greatful to you all for your wonderful suggestions. We do enjoy History odyssey, but are still in the level 1 stuff so we'll see how it goes once we hit level 2.

I do want to thank you all for your great lists. I have been hearing about AG and JAG for about a year now but the name made me shy away. For some reason to me the name made it sound like it would be difficult and time intensive. Well I finally clicked on one of your links to the AG website and looked at samples and watched the videos and it's just what I've been looking for. I was all set to do easy grammar but didn't like the "no diagramming" aspect of it. I have now ordered JAG and can't wait to get it in my hands.

Thanks again to all for your great lists.

For secular curricula grades 5-8 our family's best and worst:

Worst:

Saxon Math (my eldest did this for part of those years)

Teaching Textbook Algebra 1 (please, no flames, it was just a really bad fit here)

Best:

Singapore Math and MEP

Russian Math from Perpendicular Press (doing it after SM 6)

RS4K Chemistry (neutral, so secular) my normally science hating dd likes RS4K Biology, too, so that makes it a hit.

Dolciani 1965 Algebra 1 (for gr 8)

Gelfand's Algebra

There are other things we liked and disliked, but either I can't think of it right now, it wasn't best/worst or it wasn't secular.

Wow, I didn't know there was anything religious about Life of Fred.

I didn't, either, until now. I'm still going to get one of them. While I am Christian, I don't care for theology (and heaven, etc does get into theology) in the books. I don't care about scriptures, just the interpretation, which is why we use so many secular books. Not that they're all free of things we don't care for, either, but it simplifies things most of the time. Especially in math.

In regards to Ring of Fire...

I bought 2 of the discs *used* and they are on the rock cycle and earth science. They seem to be secular, but I haven't really delved into them, so maybe I am in for a shock. I hope not. I plan on selling them again anyway so it is no big deal. I like a lot of the literature selections in WP, and have used their IGs on occasion (in a totally warped way)... and other than a few overtly creationist books, can be secularized.

I can't wait to do HAOH. I am doing the MP3 classes, not live... I still have to talk my husband in to the expense, but that is no big deal.

For History, what about "History at our House"?

We tried this for a few weeks and my kids did not enjoy it. They do not like lectures at all. They found it slow and did not enjoy the interaction with other students. (Not that they do not generally enjoy interaction with others. :)) but he would ask a question, there would be a pause, finally someone would answer, the child would need to be acknowledged, pause for another answer, child to be acknowledged, an explaination on why this might not be correct. And he would repeat lots of information within the lecture and from lecture to lecture.

All of these things are very standard procedure for a lecture and a classroom discussion. There was nothing at all wrong with how it was done and he does a good job of trying to keep it interesting. But, it moves slowly. My girls would do other work while listening. And when I would ask them questions on it I could see the struggle in them not to roll their eyes when they answered. And I would get a response along the lines of "Mom, he said it eight times, but if you really want me to tell you......."

These were the upper elementary classes, so he may move faster at the higher levels. And he may move through more material nearer the end of the year. I dropped the program in the second month.