Menu

Blog hoaxes and reborn (creepy) dolls

A lady calling herself "April's Mom" scammed thousands of blog followers into donating money and gifts to her. She conned them into believing that her unborn baby "April" was dying. Yesterday, After a very eventful "labor" with many updates, "April" was born. She actually posted pictures of a doll and claimed that it was her baby!

april121.jpg

I just don't get it. What in the world would possess someone to make up such a sad lie. Ugh.

She went as far as steeling other blogger's identities to fake responses on her "April" blog. It's just so sick.

Apparently, there is a huge market for these Reborn dolls. Is it just me or are they totally creepy?!

One of my first experiences with message boards involved a case similar to that. A few months 'ahead' of my DDC was a woman pregnant with twins. They were born very early, one had to be lifeflighted to a different hospital, etc. People from her DDC and others sent her gifts and money, and she continued to update and post pictures.

It finally came to light she was an 18 year old college student who had never been pregnant.

I've never forgotten that lesson.

Okay wait, how did the pic end up being said to be a doll? Just curious, because the ones I'm clicking on in the google image link don't look *that* real... know what I mean? Did someone recognize the image from somewhere or something? How'd she get caught?

My old boss was into these dolls. She bought them because she thought they were cute, but I guess some people get WAY into them. To the point of equipping them with "heartbeats" and little heat packs so they sound and feel more alive. :001_huh:

I've read that here in Japan, dolls have become popular with women who don't have children or grandchildren. The population growth rate here is negative (in other words, not enough people being born to replace those dying) and the problem of finding caretakers for an aging society is non trivial. Many of the advances in robotics here are with an eye toward elder care.

I've heard so many stories like that over the years. Unfortunately it's nothing new on the web.

As for the dolls, my dd has 2 of them. One is very realistic and people would freak out if she took it out in public, thinking it was real. The other one isn't as well done and it's fairly obvious that it's a doll. The realistic one is beautiful though--looks just like a sleeping infant. I don't find them creepy.

My sil teaches Hypnobabies, and uses these dolls to simulate an infant during parts of the class. Like another poster said, some are very life like and some are just well done dolls.

I have never cared for dolls, so I am not drawn to them like she is (she sees them with a personality and such), but I am drawn to the artistry in the very good ones. There are some talented artisans out there creating these!

I used to volunteer in a nursing home and sometimes one of the little old ladies would go completely senile (I guess it's being senile?) and she would carry a doll around with her, convinced it was her baby. There were always about 3 or 4 such women at a time.

It was the saddest part about the nursing home, to me. Watching these little old women caring tenderly for their dolls. I'll bet these life-like dolls would be great for those little old ladies.

I agree with Julie...the situation is creepy but the dolls are beautiful. I wish I had a reborn. I tried to get my mom (who works with dolls as a hobby) to make me one. I really think she could do it very well though maybe not perfectly the first time. I know I couldn't do it though.

WOW, look at Daniel!

P6014795.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Reborn-Baby-Boy-Lifelike-Realistic-by-Tesas-Babies_W0QQitemZ220427612940QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335282730c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A16|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1308|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

• 1 month later...

The dolls do creep me out a bit, but dolls beyond your basic baby doll tend to do that to me. :tongue_smilie:

There was a lady who liked to claim that she'd had multiple multiple pregnancies. One of the pics she liked to use was of my friend when she was pregnant with twins. This lady actually posted on a bb that my friend was on and my friend called her on it. The lady denied it. :001_rolleyes:

I get the artistry in the reborns, I can admire the skill. But they creep me out. I can't for the life of me figure out what you would do with a doll that looks like a baby.

And yes, not the first time I've heard of internet scammers doing that sort of thing, it's pretty common.

I get the artistry in the reborns, I can admire the skill. But they creep me out. I can't for the life of me figure out what you would do with a doll that looks like a baby.

:iagree: Although I can identify on some level with this statement:

they are scared they will forget what it felt like to hold and cradle their little angel.

I

I have mentioned before that I have a tape from an answering machine that contains a message from my brother. During the first few years after he died, listening to his voice on that tape helped me deal with the overwhelming grief of losing him. Realizing I couldn't remember the sound of his voice was incredibly painful.

I imagine the baby dolls Cath makes serve the same sort of purpose for grieving mothers.

My old boss was into these dolls. She bought them because she thought they were cute, but I guess some people get WAY into them. To the point of equipping them with "heartbeats" and little heat packs so they sound and feel more alive. :001_huh:

Yikes! I had no clue something like this even existed.

That is terrible, some people are very sick.

am a reborn artist and own the reborn forum

http://www.rebornbabiesuk.com my work is in what a call

re~mourns, these are memorial portrait reborns in honour of lost little ones. I work very closely with SANDS and make sure the mommy has a lot of support, and is not looking to replace her lost angel with a doll. In all of my experiences in doing these, i have found the mommy finds great peace and truly is able to move on. Most Mommmies want a reborn to be the exact weight of their lost one as they are scared they will forget what it felt like to hold and cradle their little angel.

I have never come across any mommy who has lost a little one who has been given a reborn, its a process that the mommy comes to on her own, and only

when the re~mourn can offer peace and acceptance in what has happened.

I charge hardly nothing for these re~mourns, barley covering the cost of the kits, but the email that the mommy has found peace, or is sleeping better, or is finding life easier, cant be quantified by money,

Example of my work.

IMG%5D

005-6.jpg

Cathxx

Wow! That is amazing!

You know...I can see the allure to hold one of these for a few minutes. And the artistry is amazing. But I guess my concern is for the women who are so into these that they treat them like real babies. It seems mentally/emotionally unbalanced to me. I have seen a story on the news about women who have them and totally "pretend" that they are real.

I could see the benefit in using these in a parenting class, learning to diaper, teaching a little girl how to properly hold a baby, etc. I would be concerned though for someone who was grieving the loss of a child and couldn't get past it...I don't know, I wouldn't judge anyone for whatever they needed to get through it...I would just be concerned that this type of thing would keep them "stuck". It would seem like to me it would be too easy to slip into a fantasy world...

I have a friend who wanted another baby and got one of these and was carrying it around. I found it a little creepy, honestly, though it was "interesting" to look at the "baby".

Susu

You know...I can see the allure to hold one of these for a few minutes. And the artistry is amazing. But I guess my concern is for the women who are so into these that they treat them like real babies. It seems mentally/emotionally unbalanced to me. I have seen a story on the news about women who have them and totally "pretend" that they are real.

I would be concerned though for someone who was grieving the loss of a child and couldn't get past it...I don't know, I wouldn't judge anyone for whatever they needed to get through it...I would just be concerned that this type of thing would keep them "stuck". It would seem like to me it would be too easy to slip into a fantasy world...

:iagree: I think I'd very much worry about the emotional health of the mother. I've not ever lost a baby, so I certainly don't know that pain. I just can't imagine it being a good thing for the mom or anyone involved. :(

I agree with Julie...the situation is creepy but the dolls are beautiful. I wish I had a reborn. I tried to get my mom (who works with dolls as a hobby) to make me one. I really think she could do it very well though maybe not perfectly the first time. I know I couldn't do it though.

WOW, look at Daniel!

P6014795.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Reborn-Baby-Boy-Lifelike-Realistic-by-Tesas-Babies_W0QQitemZ220427612940QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335282730c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A16|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1308|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

I am in awe of the artistry! I can't imagine being able to create something so life-like.

I went through an intense doll phase in my childhood. Got a doll for Christmas and saved my own money to buy real disposable diapers, real bottles, and real baby clothes for her. My aunt gave me her old baby bassinet to keep in my room. I loved that doll and all that I thought went into mothering. A cousin infuriated me by tossing my doll and telling me it wasn't real.

That said, even as a child, I didn't like the fact that my doll didn't look like a real baby. She had SO MUCH thick hair that she looked like her hair had been done for a Little Miss beauty pageant. And her eyelashes were so fake . . .

I know these dolls aren't for children to play with, but I would have loved to have a baby doll that looked/felt that real. I can certainly understand how grown women would appreciate that, too.

They are lovely!

Yes, creepy that someone would try to convince others this was real and scam them, but I'm still amazed by the detail.

:iagree: I think I'd very much worry about the emotional health of the mother. I've not ever lost a baby, so I certainly don't know that pain. I just can't imagine it being a good thing for the mom or anyone involved. :(

I agree with you. I just don't understand how it can be healthy.

I think until you have walked in someones shoes that has lost a child,

no one should comment, as it demeans them. No one has the right to judge or pass negative comments on ladies who have gone through the worst possible nightmare of losing a child.

Are you a homeschool mom? Why are you here other than to sell dolls? Or defend your doll-making? It seems it's just to ensure, no matter what, that we are all in agreement with you on this. Keptwoman, along with many of us, just find it disturbing, not the dolls themselves but a grieving mother purchasing one that looks and feels like her baby. No, we aren't passing judgment. It is just an uncomfortably weird thing and there's no other way you can sell it.

Edited by Texas T

I had a babywearing business and wanted realistic infants for photos on my website. At the same time I needed realistically weighted dolls with floppy heads to teach new mothers how to wear their baby.

So I purchased 4 reborn dolls and they were a big success with my business. The most expensive one was $600, but my favorite was done by a friend for $100, as that one felt the most like a real baby (8 pounds).

So some people buy them for business reasons. :)

Are you a homeschool mom? Why are you here other than to sell dolls? Or defend your doll-making? It seems it's just to ensure, no matter what, that we are all in agreement with you on this. Keptwoman, along with many of us, just find it disturbing, not the dolls themselves but a grieving mother purchasing one that looks and feels like her baby. No, we aren't passing judgment. It is just an uncomfortably weird thing and there's no other way you can sell it.

:iagree: Cath is fairly darn close to a spammer IMHO.

My g'mother died of complications of Alzheimer's recently. Before she died she attended a day program where several of the women had dolls that were very important to them. I had never seen this before. Those women held those babies as if they were real babies. I actually bought one sweet woman a really nice baby doll (not so fancy as this!) as hers was quite hard, and ragged. She was thrilled. I held the old baby, pretending to care for it, & she was ok with that, and took the softer new baby.

I can see how these would be very therapeutic! I may need to put this request in my living will when/if it comes time. Maybe you think I'm kidding, but I'm not. How 'with it 'will I be in the end? I never thought about this until I was at that facility weekly. Many women in that program clung to their dolls. One woman had twin dolls she kept on her, on in her wheelchair. The health care workers knew not to mess with them.

I am not trying to sell anything,

not my opionion as i would like to think i am evolved enough to understand

everyone has their own views and thoughts, not my dolls as there is a waiting list of almost four months, and i dont really need or want to make

that list longer. I thought as educated adults it would be interesting and

beneficial to see the other side of the coin.

Reborns have been portrayed so badly in the press and media, i thought it

would be intersting to you all to see reborns in a light which is beneficial,

and helpful and used as a tool to help ease pain and heartache.

So easy to think

"urggg no, creepy" without actually thinking about the situation, or indeed being able to have a concept that someone who hasnt gone through the process of losing a child can indeed deem a re~mourn as anything other than

what it is, it is a tool in which to help find peace and acceptance.

And as i have stated before, i think before any comment can be made, you really need to walk in that persons shoes.

I didnt post to cause upset, distress or certainly to sell my dolls,

like i said i own a web forum (www.rebornbabiesuk.com)

and wouldnt need to come on here touting for business.

Edited by LibraryLover