Menu

Share your Preschool Plans here!

sweetbaby

Just thought this would be fun since everyone has been sharing their plans.:D

Our (3yo) preschool plans are:

Leap Frog Learning DVDs

Your Baby Can Read program (Thanks to Grandma)

My Father's World Preschool Package

Starfall.com

plenty of exploring and other fun educational play

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my plan:

Drawing to Learn Proverbs from Notgrass (the older two are doing it this year and DS diligently scribbles on his own paper with crayons and adds it to his folder)

"face time with Mama" (when he needs my attention I try to find a time to give it to him fully for 5 or 10 minutes. We sing ABC's, 10 Little Indians and do finger play)

Before Five in a Row (I totally loved this and FIAR with older DS. DD didn't get to do it quite as extensively but I'm putting it on the schedule so that younger DS gets his chance.)

Blessings.

We'll be starting in September... I so EXCITED!!!! (ok, so we're already doing dot to dots and things, but he begs to do work)

My 3yo ds will be starting (with very little pressure :) )

Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading

Magnets to Mudpies

Bob Books (we've been reading the shapes collection)

and I just ordered our Rainbow Wooden Pattern Blocks (for counting and things)

I feel so silly, to be this excited, but with my other two I was warned the kids couldn't get into PreK if they knew too much, so we stuck to fairy tales (the kids still knew too much). Since I plan to hs Luke (woohoo), I am not too worried :)

You know, I have a four year old doing Pre-K in the fall..... I have no clue what to do. She really isn't ready for reading/ blending yet, I don't think. (We signed up for a trial of Reading Eggs. She LOVES it but is very frustrated as it moves from letters into words. And doesn't seem to be "getting it.")

I was going to do mazes and dot to dot stuff for fine motor skills, and then start HWT Pre-K around January. Work on teaching phonograms. (She knows the primary sounds but not all of them. She says a says short a, but not the other sounds.) Maybe Singapore Early Bird 1 or Right Start A. (Again, starting around January.)

But.....tell me about Weaver Interlock? I looked at the web page, but I can't see what it does or what it's like. What do you cover? How does it work?

Hadn't considered Saxon or MFW. Could anyone tell me about them with a 4 yr old?

When our kids hit the preschool stage we keep things very simple - reading lots of books, playing with toys, going on adventures, drawing. I'm definitely in the camp of letting the little ones be. When they turn 5yo we jump in to OPGTR if they show great interest.

lionfamily1999 - Are you really doing OPGTR with a 3yo? I know all kids are different, so I'm just curious. The earliest I ever started on that was 4yo and then ended up putting it aside for 6 months to start again.

My plan for my 3.5 yr old is to keep her alive. :D She is such a mess, and into EVERYTHING!!!

Seriously though, we are participating in a preschool activity bag swap so that will keep her busy sometimes. I'll let her watch the LeapFrog DVDs, and hopefully, I will teach her to write her name. She knows all her shapes and colors already. And the rest of the time, I will read to her, and try to keep her from driving the rest of us crazy!! We love her though!

3 year old ds

Reading, Language Arts, and Math

Brillkids,Your Baby Can Read, Hooked On Phonics, and Starfall.com

Writing, Colors and Shapes, Math

Everything for Early Learning Workbook

http://books.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?WRD=everything+for+early+learning+ser&box=everything%20fo&pos=1

Edited by LUV2EDU

...my other two I was warned the kids couldn't get into PreK if they knew too much, so we stuck to fairy tales (the kids still knew too much). Since I plan to hs Luke (woohoo), I am not too worried :)

So, are they telling parents to dumb down their children's education?:001_huh:

Hadn't considered Saxon or MFW. Could anyone tell me about them with a 4 yr old?

Do you mean Saxon math? I know they have a K program but I'm too cheap to spring for it so my kids start with 1. When DD turned 5 I checked the placement test for Saxon 1 and she could already do all of it. So I went ahead and ordered the student text and for her to start right away in level 1.

What did I do to prepare her? We worked on counting to 100, evens and odds and skip counting by 2s, 5s and 10s. We also printed free worksheets off of http://www.learningpage.com for her to do as many or as few of them as she wanted to while her older brother did his school work. She wanted to be included, so I humored her. My own mental checklist was that she did something with numbers and something with letters every day.

I do highly recommend Five in a Row for preschool/kindergarten. So many wonderful books! And I think it has helped my kids to be active readers. We spent time studying those wonderful books. But it was so much fun!

Blessings!

Oy, I guess my soon-to-be-3yo dd qualifies as a preschooler. Her older brother is doing K this fall (who am I kidding? He's doing K right *now*--hee!). She'll tag along with whatever he's doing for unit studies (animals, countries and cultures). I'll throw in letters and letter sounds if she's ready, counting, and lots of art and fine motor work--lacing, cutting, pasting, tracing. We'll read nursery rhymes and fairy tales, sing songs, hop, skip and jump, get messy with paints, play memory and sequencing games--keep it fun. :)

~Rabia

Well if they didn't, what would the teachers do with them in class? How can they keep everyone together if some students are ahead? :001_rolleyes:

Whatever happen to "Socialization"? [being sarcastic]:lol::lol:

I guess it only applies if you're homeschooling.:D

Edited by LUV2EDU

So, are they telling parents to dumb down their children's education?:001_huh:

Wow! :confused:

There's only so many slots available. The local PreK is ONLY for kids who need prep for Kindergarten. Head start is available for people on assistance. Otherwise, there isn't anything around here that I could afford. At the time I was working nights, and the idea of having the kids in ps (free!) so I could work normal hours was to much to lightly pass up.

DS (4yo) PK next year...

Math- RightStart Level A

Phonics- Alpha-Phonics, LeapFrog DVD's and Phonics Leap Pad Books

(Science- Developing Critical Thinking through Science (Book 2) - Sit-in on sibling class)

(History- A Child's History of the World - Sit-in on sibling class)

Electives - Art & PE class through Co-op PK Program

I plan to do math and reading/phonics with my 4 year old and let him join in on the history and science the big kids are doing :)

There's only so many slots available. The local PreK is ONLY for kids who need prep for Kindergarten. Head start is available for people on assistance. Otherwise, there isn't anything around here that I could afford. At the time I was working nights, and the idea of having the kids in ps (free!) so I could work normal hours was to much to lightly pass up.

Okay, that makes more sence.

R&S Workbooks

Little Hands to Heaven from HOD

File Folder games for pre-k

Magic School Bus and Leap Frog DVD's

Bible Stories and memorization

Read Alouds

This is the first year I'll have 2 at home for pre-k (plus a toddler, plus a newborn.....plus bigger kids in K and 3rd) so we'll just see how it goes. We're also using workboxes with all the kids, which are keeping them entertained and the littler ones busy when Mommy can't sit right with them.

Blessings,

My plans for starting 3 yo stuff next year are:

MOTL and whatever mathsy picture books I can scrape together.

OPGTR (just the first section) if she's ready to start learning letters. I don't imagine she will be, but it's there in the wings.

Slow and Steady, Get me Ready

Geography Songs and the True Continents series, which I hope will entice some interests to send us off to the library in search of books with great photos to pour over. The Timberdoodle map puzzles, too.

Toying with the idea of some art and music appreciation for the fun of it, but we'll see how the cookie crumbles.

Rosie

Ds is 4, so we're doing "preK" in the autumn

OPGTR (we've already started with that)

HWT PreK (again, we've already started)

RightStart A

lots and lots of living books - I have a good list and my goal is to incorporate some science and math along with the just plain good books.

And I think we're going to put this on his Christmas wish list and do it in the second half of the year, just for fun.

We own the hands-on Building Thinking Skills and the manipulatives that go with it, so I'll probably pull it out from time to time. He's also going to be going to Master's Academy along with his sister.

K3- Little Hands to Heaven- younger kid options

K4- Little Hands to Heaven- older kid options, Reading Made Easy with workbooks for phonics

He'll be overhearing, possibly sitting in on Spanish and EFRU, and whatever other subjects he is within ear shot of.

If I'm brave and if he'll stop eating and destroying everything in sight, I'll let him play with playdough and randomly cut paper (from his high chair only!). Maybe a R&S preschool book or 2...we'll see. LHTH pretty much covers it all really so anything extra would just be, well...extra.

Well, my little guy won't turn 3 until the end of November...so plans for him include lego duplos, thomas trains, leapfrog dvds (he already knows most of the letter sounds from watching the letter factory!), read alouds, coloring/crafty things, lots of running around and jumping, lauri puzzles and pegs, counting things (he already counts his feet and his eyes and his hands!), etc. :D

My plans for my 3 yr old DS:

Sonlight p3/4

Rod & Staff young preschool workbooks (for 3 & 4 yr olds)

Kumon Mazes, Cutting, Capital Letters and whatever else looks good in the Kumon line when we finish those....

Starfall

Various games and toys for counting/numbers

We're currently working on recognizing lower case letters...he knows most of the letter sounds from starfall and the Letter Factory....I have the ETC primers when I think he's ready for them....he's totally pumped about 'plode da code' because he knows his sister does it, and he wants to do exactly what his sister does.....we'll see.....

MFW math and phonics that is separate from the rest of the manual is perfect for a 4 year old. There is a ton of repetition, and it was almost exactly what DD did in preschool when she was three and a half (the other kids ranged from 4-6). HTH

Our 3/4 year old preschool plans are:

Sonlight P3/4

OPGTR (she keeps asking to read by herself so we're going to give it a try)

Abeka K4 Math

Kumon books

ETC

The Sonlight curriculum should arrive tomorrow. I'm excited!

For DS we are doing -

100EZ

Get Set for the Code

possibly some AAS, mainly phonograms

mish mash math drawing from RS, Sing EB, MOTL, Miquon

a DIY reading list you can find on my blog (link on RHS)

Possibly some HWOT (have not made up my mind yet)

Absorbing via osmosis everything his big sis does.

Oo, a thread I get to play in!

DS is 4.

Currently:

about halfway through 100EZ Lessons

occasional Bob books, Nora Gaydos readers, playing on Starfall

almost done with HWT pre-K

Kumon books for cutting, pasting, mazes, when he feels like it

Go for the Code

Building Thinking Skills Beginning, occasionally for fun

lots of library books - mostly dinosaurs, sharks, and volcanoes, along with read-aloud suggestions from Ready for Reading

This fall:

continue or finish 100EZ lessons? Not sure after that.

more beginning readers

Rightstart A

continue Kumon books, adding in the ones on letters and numbers for more handwriting practice

possibly ETC Book 1

Peak with Books

lots of library books

If I'm brave and if he'll stop eating and destroying everything in sight, I'll let him play with playdough and randomly cut paper (from his high chair only!). Maybe a R&S preschool book or 2...we'll see. LHTH pretty much covers it all really so anything extra would just be, well...extra.

I bought "safety scissors" for my youngest. He cut the pad of thumb, from nail to the bend. Safe my hiney! Of course, he still uses them, but with a bit more caution.

Cutting up index cards could last him all day long.

My ds is 4.5 and we're continuing on with:

LHTH with his little sister

The Reading Lesson

Rightstart math A

Cursive First

Drawing with Children

Picking and choosing from Elemental Science's Life Science - Biology for the Grammar Stage

Lots of reading, messy art once or twice a week, songs, legos and swimming!

We just finished preK w/my almost 5 yr old. (finished meaning we are taking a summer break from most schoolwork)

She completed books A-D of the Rod and Staff ABC workbooks and we did a letter of the week using Letter of the Week dot com for ideas. She followed along w/older sis in most everything. She now recognizes her letters and numbers and can sound out CVC words and is starting BOB books. The year went well!

DS will be 4.5 come fall. We will be doing:

• Singapore Earlybird (St. Ed.) Book B, cuisenaire rods, math games, some Miquon
  • Rod & Staff ABC Series (started last year)
  • The World God Made Science book
  • Spell to Write and Read
  • WP Hideaways in History (tweaked for maximum fun for child and a crash course in history for mom!)
  • Raiding the library shelves and read, read, reading!!!!

DD2 will tag along. We've also got lots of puzzles, Lauri toys, crafts, play-doh, and park days planned. :)

Some of the blogs that I have been loving for preschool craft ideas:

Totally Tots

Our Crafts 'n' Things

No Time for Flash Cards

And whoever was asking about Saxon K, we did it last year when ds was a 3/4 year old. I just wrote a review here on my blog, and wouldn't recommend it for a 5 year old. HTH.

We're looking forward to a fun year!

My dd is turning 5 late fall 2009, so we're taking it to the next level.

• Math-U-See - finish primer, start alpha
  • Handwriting Without Tears - improve existing handwriting skills and do lowercase
  • Reading - combo of Leapfrog DVDs, Phonics Pathways, Reading Eggs and starter books (she can do CVC words and spell pretty well)
  • History - she loves stories so after we finish Prehistory this summer, we'll start in with Ancient this fall. We have our own thing going on that encompasses science, geography, etc...
  • Five in a Row - do a rowing here and there to expose to several subjects in a fun way
  • Tons of reading
  • Tons of fun activities/art/crafts!

My dd is 3.5 and her older bro (5yo) is starting K soon. I'm planning on doing circle time with all three (inc. 1yo dd) in the mornings: bible story, song, weather/day/date, letter, number with worksheets, manipulatives. I will let 1yodd do whatever - run around, "color", "read" a book, etc. We're using HWT and Taylor's New Bible in Pictures for Little Eyes.

I was going to let dd3.5 sit in with Ker's math (Right Start A), reading (Phonics Pathways), handwriting and whatnot, but now that ds5 might have Asperger's, I'm thinking that it'd be beneficial for him to do these lessons one-on-one during naptime.

All my kiddies watch Leapfrog, too :)

Oh, and we're going to be reading nursery rhymes and fairy tales, as well as lots of history and science books from the library.

Guest Mother Bear's Clan

This is my first post here and I'm just getting started now.

I haven't looked into any "real" curricula for this age, though this thread will serve as a great starting point.

Right now my plan is to do a lot of Monessori activities, which he seems to enjoy.

And I've got a book called Literacy Play and another called Preschool Math by the same publisher and both are filled with game-like activities to prime them for learning more about both areas.

We also do quite a bit of nature observation and I'm looking for a way to make it more structured.

DS will be 4.5 come fall. We will be doing:

• Singapore Earlybird (St. Ed.) Book B, cuisenaire rods, math games, some Miquon

• Rod & Staff ABC Series (started last year)

• The World God Made Science book

• Spell to Write and Read

• WP Hideaways in History (tweaked for maximum fun for child and a crash course in history for mom!)

• Raiding the library shelves and read, read, reading!!!!

DD2 will tag along. We've also got lots of puzzles, Lauri toys, crafts, play-doh, and park days planned. :)

Some of the blogs that I have been loving for preschool craft ideas:

Totally Tots

Our Crafts 'n' Things

No Time for Flash Cards

And whoever was asking about Saxon K, we did it last year when ds was a 3/4 year old. I just wrote a review here on my blog, and wouldn't recommend it for a 5 year old. HTH.

We're looking forward to a fun year!

We love Totally Tots here as well.