Menu

What is the worst present you have ever received?

Worst gift I ever got was from my stepdad and mama.

For my 18th birthday they gave me a trinket box from the dollar store. It was supposedly for the keys to my first car. I wasn't getting the keys unless my grades improved (I was engaged, guess where my head was). The car was a rusted out, 1975 Pontiac Catalina with no brakes and other problems...stepdad's brother gave it to him to get rid of it. He sold the car after I moved out. It was never driven by any of us. I saw some guy driving around in it the next summer.

I got my license at 21, after I had been married for 2yrs.

(btw, this isn't the first time strings were attached to a gift or some hidden innuendo. My grandmother gave me scented soap, which I loved, but then told me it was because I needed to shower more often; I was 11...my last birthday gift from my mama was a restaurant gift card and they got mad at me for having someone else babysit the kids; apparently that was the only reason I was given a gift, so they could have the kids to themselves. There were major family issues going on and I wasn't leaving my children in any volatile situation...thus why I had someone else babysit)

Edited by mommaduck

Guest threechickadees

One worst gift was from DH. He bought me a hair clippers set so I could cut his hair and he wouldn't have to go to the barber.

The other "gift" wasn't even for me. But I had to try on ski boots and skiis for my brother to give to my sister. Does that count? Maybe as the worst "non-gift"!:glare:

On our wedding night, a "special gift" was delivered by the hotel staff. It was a romantic looking (and smelling) letter to my dh from his ex, saying something like "think of me, love always, blah blah." There was also a gift: a Swarovski (sp?) crystal statue of two bunnies.

Although my dh and I waited to have "relations" till that night, his ex wanted me to know that she and my new husband were "like rabbits" once upon a time. :001_huh: He told me that was their "inside" joke, that they were like wild bunnies. It still makes me sad.

Btw, he told me that in embarassment, regret, and honesty, he didn't tell me that to hurt me. He knew I'd figure it out rather quickly. I just couldn't believe someone would do that on someone's wedding night.

Sometimes, it's not the thought that counts...

Edited by specialmama

Long ago and on a galaxy far away, I received a washer and dryer the day AFTER Mother's Day. It was supposed to make up for the fact that he'd completely ignored the holiday, and it was my very first Mother's Day too. This was during my first marriage and kind of set the tone for a bad journey of ten years. I would have loved getting a new w/d set, but it was not very personal and did NOT make me feel special!

Life is better now, thank goodness.:tongue_smilie:

Blessings,

Lucinda

How about an un-gift. My dh didn't get me anything for my first mother's day. Or anything for me for Christmas that year. (Yes--DH didn't get his wife a Christmas present!) And then 5 days after Christmas on my birthday, he didn't get me a birthday present.

Hmm. I was starting to think I was in a relationship with a bigamist until I read that your birthday is 5 days after Christmas; mine is a fortnight later. It would have been insulting enough not to get me a Christmas present, but extra insulting because he knew I'd been saving out of my parenting payment for 5 months to buy his present. Then he didn't get me a birthday present because he doesn't care about birthdays. Since when? Since his birthday! He loves to be the centre of attention on his birthday. Of course they were unpresents.

The worst present I think was from my mother this year. I'd have been less offended at being ignored. I don't know what she thought I wanted a tulle food cover for, especially a tulle food cover with an ugly embroidered picture on it. She hemmed it with ribbon so thought she was being really great. Worst of all, I have it in a bottom drawer in case I can think of some reason to use it. I'm not sure why I haven't thrown it out.

My birthday is coming up.

Last weekend when I visited my parents my mom gave me a check and a page she tore from a catalog. I'm supposed to deposit the check and buy this for myself because I'll "look so pretty in it."

Heheh, make that the official uniform for the next WTM conference.

I think the worst gift I've gotten was at a baby shower. My parents have friends at church who are VERY well off. They are also very frugal, which I have no problem with at all. One can be frugal and still thoughtful, right?

Anyway, their baby shower gift was a couple of 99cent t-shirts from the local closeout discount shop, which were size 3T and 4T and had been made in some overseas sweatshop and had poor imitations of Disney characters on them with the names spelled wrong. :confused: There was a good reason they were only 99cents!

I know it's the thought that counts, but when it is painfully obvious that no thought went into a gift, it really lets you know how much you count to them!

Yeah, my MIL is like that. A 99 cent gift deserves 99 cents worth of gratitude. Like the time she gave me a boomerang fridge magnet and worse, her son a snap lock bag of oatmeal and recipe for oatcakes. Uh huh...

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

On our wedding night, a "special gift" was delivered by the hotel staff. It was a romantic looking (and smelling) letter to my dh from his ex, saying something like "think of me, love always, blah blah." There was also a gift: a Swarovski (sp?) crystal statue of two bunnies.

Although my dh and I waited to have "relations" till that night, his ex wanted me to know that she and my new husband were "like rabbits" once upon a time. :001_huh: He told me that was their "inside" joke, that they were like wild bunnies. It still makes me sad.

Btw, he told me that in embarassment, regret, and honesty, he didn't tell me that to hurt me. He knew I'd figure it out rather quickly. I just couldn't believe someone would do that on someone's wedding night.

Wow!!!! :eek: That is TRULY horrible!! I'm so sorry you had to go through that! :grouphug: :grouphug:

Wow, I've never received *anything* like what you all describe. Even my MIL tries to get me things she knows I will like.

WOW. That is cra-zay. I just don't understand some people at all. :grouphug: I can totally see why it would still make you sad. It's just terrible how misunderstandings, mistakes, words said in anger can cause wounds even years later.

:rofl: Sorry folks but I have the giggles good. I've had tears rolling down my cheeks.

I will be eternally grateful the next time I get what seems to me an awful gift (frilly aprons for instance when people don't come much less frilly than me) I will remember all your gifts and be thankful.

Well, the most useless was a hammock for my wedding shower from MIL. We had nothing... no toaster, coffee maker, pots, pans, ect. Also we hadn't moved to the new military base we were to be stationed at so who knew if we'd even have a yard! She also sent used stained clothes and teddy bear with thrift store tags attached to my dd for her second birthday. This was NOT because they had little money. :glare:

Edited by Dee22

Wow!!!! :eek: That is TRULY horrible!! I'm so sorry you had to go through that! :grouphug: :grouphug:

Me too! Thanks for the huggins! They always help when I remember that night.

WOW. That is cra-zay. I just don't understand some people at all. :grouphug: I can totally see why it would still make you sad. It's just terrible how misunderstandings, mistakes, words said in anger can cause wounds even years later.

Silver lining in that whole thing: the crystal made a great prize at a bridal shower, the winner of it was just amazed that such a great gift be a prize! :lol::lol::lol:

Hmmm...lemme think. Its kind of a toss up, really. The box of junk my SIL threw in a shoe box for me and wrapped as an Xmas gift? I mean junk, btw. Half used lipsticks, used nail polish, tangled yarn...Or would it be the mummu that was Jabba The Hutt sized when I was 7 mths pregnant with Tazzie (another Xmas gift, same SIL)? I stuffed that over dh's head and took a picture before it went in the trash :lol: Or would it be the travel size container of wipes from my MIL at my baby shower? Literally, that was her gift to us. All the other folks stared at her, then at me, then to her again waiting for the joke, like she would have something big hidden away..nope. Travel size wipes, I think there were 25 or 30 wipes in the pkg. That one was probably the worst, because of the humilation factor.

Wow. Is his whole family that bad?

Now there's something I didn't know. Makes me wanna hunt down that viper and go all one armed nuts on her hiney :lol:

Karen sn, his cousins are lovely, they're the ones that hosted the shower for me. His mom is...challenging. His sister that I mentioned doesn't have a part in our lives any more, not because of the gifts though, lol! She's become a crack addict. My other BIL and SIL are completely wonderful. I love them to pieces.

When I was in college - I had been dating a guy for about a year.

So my birthday rolls around, and I thought maybe I'd get jewelry - or even flowers or dinner at a nice restaurant.

He gave me.... a bell for my bicycle.

(Seriously, as in it wasn't even a 'gag' gift.)

I had just bought a nice mountain bike a few weeks earlier - and he wanted to get me something to go along with it. :001_huh:

Edited by mom2jjka

Ummm....

a key chain of a pig and when you squeeze it "fake" poop comes out of its butt

battery powered socks

a t-shirt from Mexico that said "Coma Caca" (look it up)

a first aid kit

Oh, I could go on and on. These are all from my in-laws. They also give my children weird gifts like last year they gave my 10yo a fire-safe box (the kind that adults keep all their important documents in). :001_huh:

I don't have any really bad gifts, but my poor son got one from his grandma on his 4th birthday. My MIL bought him a yellow shirt with pink flowers all over it. We don't have any girls-just boys. So, I gave it to a friend with a daughter my son's age and took him to the store to buy him a "manly-man" shirt!

I would have to take a hit out on that girl. :D

I really don't have a bad gift story, but my MIL used to buy me what I thought were bad gifts - soft, pink, fuzzy sweaters (didn't see she the Ozzy tee shirts I wore then?), sleep shirts declaring that I wasn't a morning person and to stay out of my way, knick-knacks, and cookbooks from the bargain table (commenting on my lack of skill as a cook). But now that I'm about to be a MIL myself and have tried to buy nice gifts for my STB-SIL, I'm finding out that gift-giving isn't easy.

My MIL didn't know me very well and we moved away shortly after we were married (I was in the Marine Corps and dh joined a year later). We didn't talk much and when we did see each other, we didn't know how to act. Looking back, I was trying to make a good impression on her and she was not sure what to make of me (I was so different from her dds and her other DIL). She used the knowledge that she had of me to buy gifts and, because we never really got to know one another, the gifts never seemed right. But they came from a good place. She got the sweaters because she knew I was always feeling chilly. The nightshirts were her way of including me in the family - everyone had a quirk that they were teased about. And the cookbooks were not a comment on my cooking but because she knew that I didn't learn to cook before I left home.

Having said all that, my husband is the worst gift-giver. He doesn't do gifts. His birthday is just another day for him, so he ignores mine as well. Mother's Day goes un-noticed because, as he told me after the birth of our first daughter 20 years ago, I'm not HIS mother. Valentine's Day is ignored, as well. I've told him over the years that my birthday and Mother's Day are a big deal to me and would like, at the very least, an acknowledgement, but he never seems to remember.

So I was floored this Mother's Day when he handed me a gift. He knew I wanted a rooster for the kitchen (not a real one) and had wanted one for a long time. He found a gorgeous one at the PX and I was so happy - until he asked for money to replace the money he spent out of his savings for a guitar.

So I was floored this Mother's Day when he handed me a gift. He knew I wanted a rooster for the kitchen (not a real one) and had wanted one for a long time. He found a gorgeous one at the PX and I was so happy - until he asked for money to replace the money he spent out of his savings for a guitar.

:001_huh: Seriously?! Oh. My. Word. :svengo:

WOW! to begin....... I have received a shotgun and I do not hunt....

a breifcase and I do not use one or need one.... grandma looking decor... I have a Texas Hill Country home.

I am drawing a blank. I usually donate the items. I always wonder if I received a regift.....???????? :glare: Especially when they look nothing like me.

A friend gave my son an electronic dog that lifted it's leg and peed on things. It was horrible because it is near impossible to take a gift from your own child and toss it.

That's what's hard about dc getting gifts at Christmas and birthdays from relatives...mil wants to open everything right away and play with it with her grandchildren, but it's not necessarily something we want them to have (or sometimes it's a duplicate item--we'd rather just not say anything and later return it to a store--she'll think we kept it because we have one).

A friend gave my son an electronic dog that lifted it's leg and peed on things. It was horrible because it is near impossible to take a gift from your own child and toss it.

:lol:

Sorry, but that one made me choke on my coffee!

several years ago we were at my MIL's for Christmas and my DH brother and family came over. It was obvious to me that they had stopped at a convenience store on the way over, because they handed each one of my children a box of band-aids. Now, that wasn't too awful, because I know young kids love band-aids. However, when my dd opened her box to get one out, the box was empty! She had been given an empty band-aid box as a Christmas gift!

LauraD in MN

I got a set of candle holders.

Oh, but not just any candle holders. These were dusty, had melted wax in them, and I had previously seen them on the knick knack shelf of mil's house.

Yep, used, old, dirty candle holders. Wasn't real sure how to react to that.

And no, they weren't a family heirloom or anything. :lol:

This was the first Christmas dh and I were married. I asked him why I got them, and he had no idea. Dunno what I did wrong, but she got her point across. :)

I thought of another one...my husband's grandparents gave us a bottle of scotch as a wedding present...it was already opened and about a third of it was gone. :lol::lol::lol:

that's toooo funny!!!

I thought of another one too! My sister had her (self-proclaimed artist) friend sketch my daughter when dd was about 9mths old. The portrait is about 20" X 40" on canvas and was my dd's 1st birthday present. Every detail was beautiful... except her nose! She made it look like a pig nose! An actual snout! My dd does not have a pig nose, nor did her nose resemble anything like the artist's rendering in the photo she used. I never did hang it up, it resides under a pile of clothes in my closet. I've always wanted to white out her pig nose and put a real one there, but I'm not an artist! (and in my opinion, neither was she!)

Okay...well, first off, NOTHING compares to the crystal rabbits. That was just HORRIFYING! OMG. :001_huh: :ohmy:

I posted earlier about a gift my ex got me that actually turned out to be quite thoughtful...well, I just remembered one that wasn't so thoughtful.

Shortly after ex and I got married, we went to the wedding of his cousin. This was in June. That same year, for Christmas, we got the most bizarre gift from them. It was a salad something er other...like you spin the lettuce but it also chops. There were all these pieces and we really had no idea what it was. Well, I opened the box to find the instructions (we were sitting in front of his 40+ member family on Christmas morning, mind you) and i pull our a neat little card. To: Cousin and husband. Have a wonderful WEDDING DAY! :thumbdown: Whoops. The color that the cousin and her dh turned was actually a shade of purple that crayola never thought to name.

As for the salad thingie, I am not sure we even waited until we got home to toss it. I am pretty sure it was buried under the wrapping paper in the trash pile.

My MIL sent home a used springy water hose with my husband.

http://www.flat-hoses.com/spring-coil-garden-hose.html

Since she did not get me anything else for my birthday, I am thinking that might be it.:001_smile:

Oh, I forgot this one....she bought a used dryer for our wedding shower that didn't turn off when it was done drying.

CAN YOU SAY HOUSE FIRE!!!!!!

Edited by cindyinTexas

I'd tell him, "Sure. In a month. On Father's Day."

The crystal bunnies: Wow. What an incredibly hurtful thing to do. What a hag!

Ok, when I was 11, my parents put a book about sex in my Easter basket. It embarrassed me and I was chastised for not thanking them for it (my mother did the chastising). I had already known about sex at that age; my mother had told me all the details when I was 8. This book was very detailed.

The first Valentines Day after we were married, I was in the shower crying that my new dh had not acknowledged the day or gotten me a card or anything. He asked why I was crying and when I told him, he said, "Oh, I was going to take you to the grocery tomorrow to pick out whatever Valentine candy you want! I'll be half price!" :glare:

A few years later, EX wanted a satellite tv system. He found a great deal on one online, ordered it and it arrived on my birthday. He spent the whole afternoon installing it, never once saying anything about my birthday. The next day, when I mentioned that he'd forgotten my birthday, he said, "Oh, I got you that satellite system so YOU can watch all the shows YOU like!" :glare:

For the last anniversary we had before I filed for divorce (which was about 3 weeks later), he bought me a box of sugar-free chocolates. He proceeded to spend the evening eating the entire box. He spent the rest of the night on the toilet. Sugar-free candy has sorbitol, which is a diuretic and can cause diarrhea if eaten in excess. BEST. GIFT. EVER. :lol:

MIL did give some odd gifts, but I can't recall any that were particularly horrid. One year, though (and this was more funny than anything else) she gave our family a $20 bill. It was meant for us to split between the 4 of us. She hands it to us, as if it's the Hope Diamond on a velvet pillow and says, "This is the gift the LORD would have us give to you!" The whole presentation was just funny. Just to clarify, the amount wasn't an issue.

from my dh. Don't remember which Christmas that was, but it was the only gift I received. Pretty embarassing when people ask you what you got for Christmas:ack2:

:lol: I got a Letherman for Christmas too! I was thrilled! I had asked for my own and DH remembered! Of course, I'm a farm girl and I NEED my Letherman - carry it on my hip at all times ( on the farm). I thought it was one of the best gifts I've ever gotten! Funny how different people are.....:lol:

One worst gift was from DH. He bought me a hair clippers set so I could cut his hair and he wouldn't have to go to the barber.

HORRIBLE!!!:lol::lol:

Our very first year as husband and wife, my husband ASKS me, what do you want for Christmas? He says he has NO IDEA what to get me. So, I just gave him a list of gifts I would like and said, "Anything on here! Not EVERYTHING, just ANYTHING." There were at least 25 items on the list - plenty to choose from and still make it a surprise!

Well, Christmas morning I had about 20 gifts to open. Wow! And as I opened each one.....I found it was NOT ON THE LIST! Not ONE of the 20 or so things he got me were on my list. NOT ONE! I am laughing right now as I type this because 25 years later I still find it incredible. Who would get a list of specific things you KNOW someone wants and then get her a bunch of things you have no idea weather she wants them or not???? So funny!

Well, MOST of his choices were nice and I had a wonderful Christmas, but I did ask him, "WHY didn't you use the list I gave you?" He says, "huh?" LOLOL

Two years ago, I got a cow for Christmas. I'm not kidding. We had gone to a local farm to pick out a couple of heifers for our daughters to show. While we were there, I saw a pretty heifer and commented on her. The girl's cows were to be delivered the day before Christmas. When they jumped off the trailer, there was a third heifer, the pretty one I liked and my DH said, "Merry Christmas!" Huh? Thank goodness he got me other stuff too. I was worried that it might be my only gift! Oh, and I named the heifer "Holly."

In fact, My DH did it again this year. We had been out in the pasture with the goat herd. We had been caring for a freind's small group of dairy goats after he lost his farm in a tornado but had recently given them back to him. I said, "I think eventually I would like to get at least one dairy goat." (ours are meat goats) So, 3 days later, ON Mother's Day, he says to me, "Get in the truck, I want to show you something." We ended up at a Dairy Goat Farm and he told me to pick out anything I wanted. So, that's what I got for Mother's Day - A dairy goat. :lol::lol:

I think I will be more careful next time I say, "I want....."!

( Secretly, I love my animal gifts!)

Now, on to my MIL. She is an OCD shopoholic - being serious here. She HAS to spend money. But she is also cheap, cheap, cheap! She will go to TJMax, buy a shirt she knows is too small for you, wrap it up and give it to you for Christmas. Then, when you open it she says, "It's only a M ( if you wear L) but it was only $1.50. You can take it back if you want." She is undescriminating in her wretched gift giving. She has done this to ALL of us. She intentionally gives a person an item she KNOWS won't fit them. It boggles my mind.

Another tiime, my DH opened her Christmas gift to him. It was a skill saw! Something he had asked for! He says, "Awesome!" and procedes to open the box. Inside it was a birdfeeder. He has NO IDEA why she would give him a birdfeeder! Or what happened to the skill saw that WAS in the box???? How did she find a box for the birdfeeder that happened to be from the present he had actually asked for? Was this some kind of joke? We still don't know. WEIRD!