Menu

Please help me overcome my phobia...writing in books

pooh bear

We are going to be starting Ambleside yr 3.5 to see how we like it and get used to the style of books before we start yr 4.

My ds reads really well, but has not read many classic novels. I thought about letting him have the book and when he comes across a word he does not know, have him underline or circle it, then look it up in the dictionary. Maybe even keep a note book of the words.

But, for some reason the thought of writing in books sends a cold shiver down my spine. Why can I not mark a book? It's not like the author is going to come after me.

I thought about buying some cheap editions of the books and letting ds mark those up. Maybe if I don't acutally look at the book, I will be OK.

Does anyone else have this problem, or is it just me?

I hate writing in books - I don't like to read books that have been marked up. Why couldn't you give him a small pocket sized notebook to jot down unfamiliar words instead of circling them in the book? It might even be easier to keep track of the words that way then trying to page back through the book to find the circled words. . .

In How to Read a Book, the author comments that people who write in their books have more respect for the author's craft than they do the printer's craft. The author struggles to unearth ideas. The printer struggles to produce a clean, crisp page with a strong binding and a smooth cover. Nice. I know. But I read books because I want to "catch" the ball that the author is throwing; I want to interact with his ideas. My education is valuable to me, and I learn more when I write in my books. It just yanks your education to a whole new level. It is just a more efficient use of my time. And I don't really care that much for the printer's craft. He is trying to please me with his pages. And sometimes he really succeeds; I do appreciate the smell of a good book or the feel of nice paper or a crisp dark font with just the right amount of space between the lines. BUT what better compliment could I pay to both the author AND the printer than to make their book MY book.

My suggestion? Buy a really nice hardback copy with a satin ribbon of ANY book that you would like to "own" - I mean REALLY own - on the inside of you. Not "own" as in possess - sitting on your shelf in your house - but own in the depths of your soul. AND WRITE all over it - everywhere - in pen. Just DO it! Every thought that pops into your head; jot it down as you read. And don't be afraid of doing it wrong. Just do it. You'll grow as a reader. And you'll send a great message to your kids. Your education matters, and so does theirs.

We don't do it with every book (our library would not appreciate that). But I try to teach my kids how to annotate and we do practice with certain books.

The authors ideas endure down through the generations. The printers craft is easily duplicated. :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice - who has multiple copies of the same books in her house because the kids don't get to read mine! Even if they share and don't annotate a text, very often I have MY annotated copy that I teach from. I don't want to spoil their chance to bat ideas around with the authors without my ideas interrupting and interfering with theirs. Makes for crammed bookshelves.

Once you start, you'll never go back. Be afraid, be very afraid. :001_smile:

My suggestion? Buy a really nice hardback copy with a satin ribbon of ANY book that you would like to "own" - I mean REALLY own - on the inside of you. Not "own" as in possess - sitting on your shelf in your house - but own in the depths of your soul. AND WRITE all over it - everywhere - in pen. Just DO it! Every thought that pops into your head; jot it down as you read. And don't be afraid of doing it wrong. Just do it. You'll grow as a reader. And you'll send a great message to your kids. Your education matters, and so does theirs.

Just reading that makes me short of breath. Does anyone have a paper bag I can use? :001_smile:

In How to Read a Book, the author comments that people who write in their books have more respect for the author's craft than they do the printer's craft. The author struggles to unearth ideas. The printer struggles to produce a clean, crisp page with a strong binding and a smooth cover. Nice. I know. But I read books because I want to "catch" the ball that the author is throwing; I want to interact with his ideas. My education is valuable to me, and I learn more when I write in my books. It just yanks your education to a whole new level. It is just a more efficient use of my time. And I don't really care that much for the printer's craft. He is trying to please me with his pages. And sometimes he really succeeds; I do appreciate the smell of a good book or the feel of nice paper or a crisp dark font with just the right amount of space between the lines. BUT what better compliment could I pay to both the author AND the printer than to make their book MY book.

We don't do it with every book (our library would not appreciate that). But I try to teach my kids how to annotate and we do practice with certain books.

The authors ideas endure down through the generations. The printers craft is easily duplicated. :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice - who has multiple copies of the same books in her house because the kids don't get to read mine! Even if they share and don't annotate a text, very often I have MY annotated copy that I teach from. I don't want to spoil their chance to bat ideas around with the authors without my ideas interrupting and interfering with theirs. Makes for crammed bookshelves.

Once you start, you'll never go back. Be afraid, be very afraid. :001_smile:

I have a collection started of the Penguin paperbacks, with the black cover, that one else is allowed to touch. I hate it when some reads my books and makes creases in the spine.

Maybe I do need to let go. Small steps. Small steps.

I never really paid that much attention in English class, and annotating something is an alien concept to me.

How do you learn to make notes on things that you read?

I read a post the other day on the High School board about Jane Eyre, and the amount of things talked about I have never picked up on, and I have read Jane Eyre I don't know how many times.

Are there any books that I can read, that teach you this type of stuff. And I promise to make notes in it.

I write all over my books, underline, highlights, notes in the margins. I'm still a snot about anyone creasing the spine (SHUDDERS). On the outside no one can tell my books have been read, one the inside they're well loved. :D

I agree about appreciating the writer's craft, not the publishing company. If you have to start small, start with a pencil and only underline, then move to the pen level and writing in the margins.

Believe me you will get spoiled after time. I can't stand library books anymore simply because I can't write in them.

I have a friend like that. Her mom pounded into her when she was growing up to NEVER write in books, so, though she is in her 50's now, she still can't write in books!

We, in our home, write in books! We underline, highlight, make notations, etc., and OWN the books and story! Sometimes my dh and I share, but mostly we each have our own books with our own copies, so they can be personalized. Sometimes I'll open a book, see what's been underlined or written, and it gets me going into the book again. It emphasizes passages that are important to me! I love it! And, like Carolyn said....."You should see my Bible!":001_smile:

I certainly will not help you overcome this perfectly reasonable reluctance! I will, however, introduce you to my good friend, the Book Dart:

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Darts-Bookmarks-Passage-Marks/dp/0681229101

These allow you to mark, not just the page, but particular lines or quotes you want to return to and study. I don't like to pause and take notes as I read a book for the first time, so they're very handy. And I take my notes in a notebook, where they are just as useful and far happier than they would be all crowded up in the margins of my book.

annotation markers can be used also:

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=17-848|Level=2-3|pageid=6622

I absolutely can't stand reading a book that someone has written in/marked; I find it very distracting. Aesthetics aside, I also don't like to write directly in the book because I don't want to 'cement' my reactions/thoughts - - if I go back and read the book years later, I want to do it with fresh eyes.

Book darts and annotation markers serve the purpose of writing in a book without being permanent. I love them muchly.

I can't write in a book either, although I can see where it would be very helpful with your "teaching" copy. As I was prereading Chapter 1 of The Call of the Wild, there were quite a few vocabulary words that my daughter will most likely not know. And a few things that I want to make sure we discuss. I usually take notes, but maybe...maybe, I can try to write in this one. There are a ton of copies of The Call of the Wild at our local used book store. I could practice on one of those...

I never really paid that much attention in English class, and annotating something is an alien concept to me.

I read a post the other day on the High School board about Jane Eyre, and the amount of things talked about I have never picked up on, and I have read Jane Eyre I don't know how many times.

Are there any books that I can read, that teach you this type of stuff. And I promise to make notes in it.

How to Read a Book and The Well-Educated Mind would be good places to start... and don't feel pressured to write in the books if you don't want to. I cannot bring myself to write in books, either. I tried to overcome it a few years ago then thought, "What am I doing?" I gain much more from taking notes in a separate notebook than I do from writing in the book. I have a system that works for me, so why change it just because someone else finds it a useful system for him? I am sure many people benefit from writing in books, but I am not one of them.

Think about it like having a conversation with the book -- and with yourself at later readings (or even with future readers). You're saying, "Hey, this is worth coming back to to think about some more" or "this part didn't make sense" or "I just love this section" or "what an interesting word choice!"...

It makes the reading more active and participatory.

Books are just things. Now, there are a few that are out of print or in danger of becoming so, or have sentimental value for some other reason, and I'll be careful with those. But, for instance (thinking of a nearby thread), a copy of a mass market edition of Beowulf? Write! Fold down corners! Use post-its! Highlight! Scribble in the margins! Whatever. Make the book *work* for you.

It's not "defacing" the book, or showing it a lack of respect -- it's showing the book the highest measure of respect by engaging with it...

Or, well, if you really can't stand it, get him a few packs of those half-sized post-its so he can make notes on those and stick them in the book.

Buy one of those BIC 4 colors in one big fat pens. I underline really cool or important stuff in red, interesting stuff in blue, green is for things I might want to look up later, black is just boring stuff worthy of notice.

I love writing in books.

Easier to find when you want to go back to something special.

Pooh Bear up there - you might not want to read any further....

because some of my books have sand in them.

All of my books are dog eared.

And a few are held together with clear packing tape.

Edited by Karen sn

I personally enjoy reading books that others have written in. I find it interesting to see what others deem important.

Ditto!! I love getting used books for that reason.

If you can't start with pen or highlighters--start with a nice pencil. It won't seem quite as abrasive while you're getting your feet wet.

Janice,

What a beautiful sentiment. I think you've made a convert of me. DH has always written in books, and I find it interesting to read what he has written, esp. his college lit. books. It's captures a moment in his life and maybe my kids will feel the same way about some of my beloved books.

Laura

I personally enjoy reading books that others have written in. I find it interesting to see what others deem important.

So do I. But I get a sick sense of satisfaction when they have clearly missed the point.

When I first met my husband, I was in graduate school in theology. He was raised in the Catholic church. When he came to pick me up for one of our first dates, I was preparing a sermon. He looked at my Bible, saw the marginalia and all the underlining and arrows and circles and pencil marks... I swear to you, he turned an ashen color. I have never seen olive skin change color like that. (Except when he turned green after having his wisdom teeth out.) He stood paralyzed for quite a while, speechless.

I write in my books. For some people, for whatever reason (!), that does not work. I say if you can have a conversation with the book without writing in it, then you don't need to write in it. Do what works for you.

So do I. But I get a sick sense of satisfaction when they have clearly missed the point.

When I first met my husband, I was in graduate school in theology. He was raised in the Catholic church. When he came to pick me up for one of our first dates, I was preparing a sermon. He looked at my Bible, saw the marginalia and all the underlining and arrows and circles and pencil marks... I swear to you, he turned an ashen color. I have never seen olive skin change color like that. (Except when he turned green after having his wisdom teeth out.) He stood paralyzed for quite a while, speechless.

I write in my books. For some people, for whatever reason (!), that does not work. I say if you can have a conversation with the book without writing in it, then you don't need to write in it. Do what works for you.

I didn't realize that other people do not write and highlight in their Bibles until I shocked a friend. She read a really good verse. I told her she should highlight it for future reference and she looked shocked and said that she never even thought of writing in her Bible. She was Catholic too.

Are the ones my mother passed down to me from my grandmother and herself.

Especially the cookbooks. The notations, the remarks, the things she'd change in a recipe. Other books as well.

I mark up all my cookbooks as well.

It is so special to me to read the remarks my grandmother noted on various recipes..etc...

I think it is a GREAT thing to write in books and maybe someday you can also see it as something good...and special and something to be shared with others...

I never write in my books and like to keep them looking as new as possible. I hate it when someone borrows a book of mine and has returned it dog eared with underlined words (in pencil). My son loves to mark up his books, but he knows how much I hate it. There are a few of his books that I’ve given him permission to write and highlight and boy are they all marked up!

For most the other books, he uses at least a pack or two of those post it tabs. Each color means something different – a word he doesn’t know, an interesting part of the book, an important fact, etc.

I guess I like to keep them looking new because sometimes I sell them or pass them onto others.

I can't stand people who write in library books. I have been known to erase their commentary -- one book required nearly an entire eraser. Or when someone changes recipes. The most recent offender was someone who (in a very old Indian cookbook) had crossed out "ghee" to write in "margarine."

That being said, if it's your own book, go for it! If it bothers you, do it neatly.

My mother once greeted an author with her copy of one of the author's novels, to autograph; it was extremely worn and written all over. The author was deeply touched. She said she could tell it was well loved.

Check out this sample from "IEW's Windows to the World: An Introduction to Literary Analysis". The sample chapter is all about annotation. :001_smile:

At Dollar Tree they have erasable highlighters. Basically you highlight whatever you want and then when you're done and mark it with the other side of the pen. The ink disappears magically. For me, this is a great compromise, because I'm with you on marking up my books!

An idea!

Go out to the bookstore and purchase an exact duplicate copy of one of the Penguin paperbacks that you would like to annotate - a new copy - that you can "destroy" by writing in it. Start by creasing the spine SOUNDLY. And then grab a pen and start reading. Find a particularly beautiful sounding sentence? Circle it. Big sloppy circle - or a nice neat circle with a fine-point pen. Draw a smiley face in the margin and write the word "Love the way this sounds!" next to it.

Keep reading.

Find out some background info about a character. Draw an arrow to the sentence. In the margin write, "Hmm.... Bet THIS will be a problem!"

Find a beautiful parallel triple phrase. Write "3x" in the margin.

Read a string of really strong long, long, long sentences with loads of subordinating clauses followed by a 3-word sentence. Write "Why?" Stop. Think, "How do I feel right now? Tension. Nervous? Why? Why do I feel that way." Go back. Re-read the paragraph. Ahh... bet this is foreshadowing. This is here for a reason. What is the author going to do with this? Jot down your guess in the margin. "Jane is going to be a pain. Don't think I'm going to like her. We'll see!"

Whatever you're thinking at the time.

Feel free to get it wrong.

Let the author hit you with something and whack it back.

She writes. You write.

Enjoy.

AND if you get to the end of the book and don't feel like the back-n-forth helped you engage with the author at a deeper level, THROW the book in the trash can! Eight bucks WASTED! But now you know. You don't like writing in your books.

...I suspect instead that you will slide you tattered annotated copy on the shelf next to your crisp, clean "brand new" Penguin copy; you won't want to give up the annotated copy because it holds a record of your conversation. The author's words and yours now lie between the folded black cover. When you come across the same character-development technique in another book, you'll ask yourself, "Now where was that? I remember this whole fairy-tale wicked stepmother thing." Flip, flip, flip through your annotated copy - ignoring the author's endless lines but searching for your colorful note, you'll remember what side of the page it was and most of what you wrote. When you find it, you'll re-read what the author said, what you said, and how you felt at the time. Returning to the book that you are currently reading, you'll write, "Jane Eyre pg 23. Nice connection today!"

It really is great fun!

But consider spending $8 on an experiment. Nothing huge lost if you hate it. Be reckless! :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Edited by Janice in NJ

OK Janice,

I have a cheap copy of Little Dorrit, that I can practice with.

I have never read it, so this will be a good chance to get some first impressions. And with the link Stacia provided, I have a guide to help me with it.

It may be a long weekend.

Depends on the situation. Mostly I do NOT mark in books! Books are special friends and I don't write on my friends! :tongue_smilie:

However, for college I would buy OLD, used textbooks and highlight key points which made studying for tests fast. I knew I'd be reselling most of these books, so I thought of them more as workbooks. For literature, I still can't bring myself to write in the book, so we either use post-it notes (different colors for different family members, or write in a special notebook just for that purpose -- that way I can see the scope of comments from many different books and compare all at once. I put the title of the book at the top of the page, then as I annotate in the separate notebook, I jot down the page number in the margin next to my comment. As for writing in the book, I might get as wild as to very lightly pencil an arrow in the book margin to indicate I have a note about that spot.

Much as I love the way other people have described how they see writing in books, books are a treasure to me, and I just can't bring myself to do what seems like defacing to them. The best part of this conversation to me has been how we all LOVE books! Cheers! Lori D.

Check out this sample from "IEW's Windows to the World: An Introduction to Literary Analysis". The sample chapter is all about annotation. :001_smile:

I'm so glad you referenced this lesson. I'm using this text in a co-op class this fall and am so looking forward to introducing students to annotation!

The author also suggests reading this essay by Adler on the topic:

http://www.tnellen.com/cybereng/adler.html

I must admit that it depends on my purpose for reading how much I annotate. If I'm reading purely for entertainment, I usually just let the book wash over me without annotating. If I'm reading for information purposes, I usually just underline passages that I find important, adding an exclamation point in the margins for those that really speak to me. If I'm reading for literary analysis, though, to really interact with the text, I usually have a system, which I use only on my second (or more) reading of it. By then, I have noticed what things I'm looking for and want to mark to make notice of patterns. I'll use symbols in the margins for different themes, symbols for different literary devices, etc.

If you really have a phobia about marking up books, start with a notebook where you list the page numbers and beginning and ending words of the passage, along with the insights you want to note. I have also used post-it notes, but all those little sticky notes become cumbersome after a while if you use a lot of them--almost as if your book has sprouted feathers!

What an interesting thread! I love "pretty" books, but never thought about that honoring the publisher more than the author. :001_huh:

To the OP, I have my dd mark words that she doesn't understand. I gave her a set of the post-it flags that are arrows. We go through and discuss the words in context. She stacks up the arrows and reuses them. I would be afraid that stopping to transfer words to a notebook would ruin the flow of reading. This is quick and easy. :)

I feel your pain. I still can't bring myself to write in books.

Oh... me neither. I shudder to think about writing, highlighting.. oh no. It all goes on in my head. No. way. :eek: What are notebooks for then? :001_huh:

I love books: the binding, the pages, the smell of the pages (most of them anyway ;)), what the author says.. EVERYTHING. I've been taught to respect a book. I don't like creases either. Never highlighted textbooks either. Took really good notes, though. Everybody borrowed my notes afterwards, because I'm an excellent note-taker :)

To the OP: Please keep being the way you are. If you ever sell any of your books, unmarked ones sell for more, YK?

Edited by sagira

Just wanted to comment that I think the author of this IEW set "Windows" does an excellent job of introducing parents and students to annotation. It just isn't a skill that is traditionally taught; most schools need to pass books down from student to student.

When I got to college and bought my books; we were told to get highlighters and write in our books, but weren't given any direction. (It was like we were supposed to KNOW how to do this. Huh?) To this day when I buy a used college book, I am very careful to ask if there is any writing or highlighting because I just can't stand to look at it the unguided attempts to interact with a text - in the first two chapters of the book almost EVERYTHING is highlighted and then the rest of the book is like new. It's too sad. It reminds me too much of me at that age. I didn't know what I was doing either. :confused:

I'm trying to do things different with my kids. We annotate some novels and everyone has a science or history text that they are TOLD to write in. Two different skills; novels are different from text books. :001_smile:

But I just wanted to chime in here. If you have NO idea how to do this or teach it, this IEW Windows text is a great place to start. She does a great job of jump-starting you and your students on the road to being book-scribblers. :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Thanks so much for this thread. I have never thought about writing in books. The only book i have EVER written in was a cookbook and next to as pastry recipe i wrote 'add a little more cold water'. Now i think that is sad. No wonder i never engaged in the literature i read for high school. I read it through once, then wrote my essay, oops.

I think i will be off to the second hand book store to get a cheap copy of something and really read it.

I never write in my books and like to keep them looking as new as possible. I hate it when someone borrows a book of mine and has returned it dog eared with underlined words (in pencil).

I certainly agree about *that*. I would never deface someone *else*'s book (or a library book)! While I have absolutely no problem writing in books and in other ways *using* them, that's only when they're mine to use in that way.

When I was younger, I had a friend whose parents kept their leather couch in its plastic wrapper. (For years.) They were saving it, I imagine.

....Saving it for what? For when?

A beautifully preserved book that no one bothers to read is hardly a testament to the way the book has brought its meaning into your life; neither is keeping it nice so you can resell it. I'd rather spend my money on food -- but not, mind you, food that is "too lovely to eat"!

When will life be worth living?