Menu

If you haven't read WTM, why do you come here?

Samiam

Originally Posted by Lovedtodeath

The only thing I have trouble with is people who come here and don't agree with Susan, and insult her character, philosophy or her work.

If you aren't one of these people, then welcome!

By this measurement, then, I am "not welcome" because I do not at all agree with some of Mrs. Bauer's perspectives.

I have read all three editions of the book, so thought I could "swim in the pond."

I am disappointed to read this comment on a message board which I had gauged as comfortable hosting educators who espouse a variety of philosophies, but who draw upon elements of the WTM approach and who enjoy discoursing with and learning from other educators, many of whom hold differing beliefs. People here have treated me kindly and very, very helpfully. I appreciate this greatly !

I think you are parsing Lovedtodeath's sentence wrong. She's not talking about people who disagree with all or some of Susan's perspectives. She's talking about people who don't agree AND insult Susan or her work or her character or her philosophy.

It would please me greatly to be wrong. (With that said, I sincerely apologize to the other poster, if need be.) I thought of that same thing. The danger is that, on message boards, any negative comment about a topic automatically risks being branded "an insult" by somebody. There is no need for me to write about the elements of WTM with which I disagree. At the same time, however, I would not feel safe to specify them because of the widespread loyalty to the program.

I think you are parsing Lovedtodeath's sentence wrong. She's not talking about people who disagree with all or some of Susan's perspectives. She's talking about people who don't agree AND insult Susan or her work or her character or her philosophy.

It would please me greatly to be wrong. (With that said, I sincerely apologize to the other poster, if need be.) I thought of that same thing. The danger is that, on message boards, any negative comment about a topic automatically risks being branded "an insult" by somebody. There is no need for me to write about the elements of WTM with which I disagree. At the same time, however, I would not feel safe to specify them because of the widespread loyalty to the program.

I believe that you will have that great pleasure!

I have a hard time thinking of anyone here who is doing TWTM exactly as written, and SWB would be the last person to suggest that TWTM is completely prescriptive. We have many discussions about the pros and cons of various approaches to a particular subject, and about how best to meld aspects of TWTM with other curricular or approach choices. Some of us are Charlotte Mason or LCC proponents as well. There have been several threads recently on combining classical education with unschooling.

But every once in a while someone will badly cross the line. Without getting too specific, there have been a few instances where someone has posted attacks on SWB or one of her suggestions or books in a way that is both insulting and not specific enough to address. Those are offensive to me, and to many others I believe. And since SWB hosts this board and basically pays for it, it seems particularly galling to have that happen here. And when it does, it really begs for the question, "What you doing HERE?" which actually doesn't come up very much.

I don't remember how I found this list; I was either googling something or clicked a link on another board. I'd only vaguely heard about WTM, and dismissed it (based on what people said on other boards) as something that (1) would never work for my kids and (2) would be way too difficult and time-consuming for me to implement.

But when I stumbled onto this list, I started reading and got intrigued. I'd never even heard of 80% of the curricula people were discussing on this board! As a curriculum junkie, I was instantly sucked in and stayed up till the wee hours of the morning many nights in a row trying to read everything I could. All these programs sounded so great! I bought tons of used curricula to try out.

The more I read, the more interested I became in the WTM approach. I bought a copy of WTM and read it cover to cover in 2 days. I was impressed. There are certainly things that I don't think will work for my kids, but there are many other things that I plan to incorporate, and a surprising number of things I was already doing without knowing they were considered "classical."

So I'm not surprised that many people arrive here not having read WTM -- but I'm kinda surprised that so many people stay here without reading it. To those who think that skimming these discussions is equivalent to reading the book, I'd say: get the book! I had a lot of misconceptions about WTM until I actually read it -- plus I got a TON of great ideas, and a whole lotta inspiration. :001_smile:

Jackie

By this measurement, then, I am "not welcome" because I do not at all agree with some of Mrs. Bauer's perspectives.

I have read all three editions of the book, so thought I could "swim in the pond."

I am disappointed to read this comment on a message board which I had gauged as comfortable hosting educators who espouse a variety of philosophies, but who draw upon elements of the WTM approach and who enjoy discoursing with and learning from other educators, many of whom hold differing beliefs. People here have treated me kindly and very, very helpfully. I appreciate this greatly !

I believe that you will have that great pleasure!

I have a hard time thinking of anyone here who is doing TWTM exactly as written, and SWB would be the last person to suggest that TWTM is completely prescriptive. We have many discussions about the pros and cons of various approaches to a particular subject, and about how best to meld aspects of TWTM with other curricular or approach choices. Some of us are Charlotte Mason or LCC proponents as well. There have been several threads recently on combining classical education with unschooling.

But every once in a while someone will badly cross the line. Without getting too specific, there have been a few instances where someone has posted attacks on SWB or one of her suggestions or books in a way that is both insulting and not specific enough to address. Those are offensive to me, and to many others I believe. And since SWB hosts this board and basically pays for it, it seems particularly galling to have that happen here. And when it does, it really begs for the question, "What you doing HERE?" which actually doesn't come up very much.

:iagree:

I don't agree with every suggestion of Susan's. I have been known to recommend a different spelling program. I am not ::gasp!:: going to teach Latin. I even recommend that from my experience, some people might not want the SOTW AG. I am even open to switching to CLE or similar if need be. (I'll stop there, no need to mitpick anything and everything that I might disagree with.) But, as Carol said, (very well, so I have nothing to add) there have been people that bash Susan's books (basically resorting to name-calling), or question her character (mostly about deleted posts and the like). Susan does not ban them. I sure wish I could.

Elizabeth and Carol, thank you for explaning, and alerting me. I was unsubscribed to this thread and starting a board break!

Yes, it is so easy to have misunderstandings on a message board. I have been in the middle of a couple. But I stay friends, because I understand how they come about.:)

Edited by Lovedtodeath

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest. I have no clue what classical education is. I came here when I was getting away from boxed curriculum. RR catalog has a lot of stuff and you folks helped me find the perfect curriculum. We are enjoying this school year. And doing science and history in order seemed commmon sense to me. I haven't read TWTM but very tempted to buy it.

Thank you for this clarification. It goes a long way in explaining the purpose of the op's question. I was afraid I would have to get my daily cup of homeschooling wisdom elsewhere:D I love it here. You can ask a basic "dumb" question, a boring question, an oft- repeated question and still get a well-thought out and gracious response. This is so different from another board I was on for 2 years. Here, I can question what I am doing or what others are doing and it's okay.

It sounds as though many of us come here because we are life-long learners and committed parents. The way we homeschool is always evolving ( or should be). If this forum were devoted only to SWB's plan, I think it would lose some of its vibrancy.

I am grateful to SWB for making this place of growth happen. We also enjoy our dog-eared copies of SOTW very much:001_smile:

Until a few days ago, I didn't realize that TWTM was a book or a type of home schooing at all because I had never heard of it. *shame* I was linked here by someone I "know" on another forum (not home school related) b/c we are pulling my step-son out of PS.

I haven't read the book and maybe won't at all. I don't know yet. Mostly, I lurk here because I find it very interesting to read about what others are doing with their kiddos. I've gotten so many great book, software and curriculum ideas, just by lurking. :)

I hope I haven't annoyed anyone by asking "dumb" questions. I spend quite a lot of my time on here looking up the abbreviations and trying to figure out what people are talking about. I really appreciate the people who have taken time to answer on the threads I started. Regardless of forum title and what it's "supposed" to be about, I have found this site to be quite diverse and I really appreciate that as a new homeschooling parent.

Edited by ocean_eyes
spelling

Thank you for this clarification. It goes a long way in explaining the purpose of the op's question.
I asked a similar question about a year ago because I was just starting to plan 1st grade and asking a lot of questions. (I was on the old boards when I was teaching day care kids.) I got such a variety of answers from Charlotte Mason proponents, unschoolers, in-a-box users, etc. At the time, I was disappointed and perplexed b/c when I asked the questions I was expecting the answers to help me implement TWTM; I was assuming that people answering questions on this forum would be implementing and encouraging the use of TWTM method.

So I can see another reason for asking the question. Though I am very comfortable implementing TWTM now and I find that most of my big questions are answered by the book itself or the website, and I enjoy all of the diversity that we have here. ;) At first, the idea was hard to get used to.

I hope I am understood. I would hate for this to be a foot in mouth moment. :tongue_smilie:

Oh, and my board break didn't last b/c I always end up Nursing at the Keyboard.:D

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I am reading the book. I found this website while looking for something specific. I was intrigued, but intimidated. I have been afraid to try classical education with my children's age difference, and my own brain limitations. I have a math degree, and all the focus on history and literature is overwhelming to me.

I do want to implement some of the methods this next year, which is why I'm reading the book this summer. This was my 4th year homeschooling and had really only done school in a traditional way. I want to begin narrations, introduce logic to my rising 7th grader, introduce Latin and Greek roots through a curriculum I can try to do together, do art and music (we've really not done much of anything), etc.

It has been good just to read what other's are saying and doing. It has encouraged me to learn more about this method of homeschooling and want to possibly follow it.

I do not believe any one method will work for all children, no matter how good it is. You have to do what works for you AND your children. I know I haven't done the classical method up to this point, but I know that they've had better than they would in school. And best of all, we've had time...time to stay in our pajamas curled up on the couch reading good books, time to follow their interests, time to play outside, time to go places and see things, time to just be together. In the end, I know that's what it's really all about.

Also, many secular/ not "Christian" homeschoolers enjoy these boards. From the many comments I have read, some boards of a more religious nature sometimes have a tone that can be offputting to folks. The diversity on these boards is, I think, the greatest strength. Although I am a conservative Christian, I appreciate the open discussions here on a wide variety of topics. "In a multitude of couselors there is much wisdom."

BTW, I don't do very much TWTM way. I just love it here.:001_smile:

tonya

I first came here through a web search, looking for another homeschooling forum. I was on a couple of other hs forums, and couldn't get enough! I had no idea at the time what WTM was, or what classical education was, or even that there was such a thing as classical education. After reading on these boards for a while, and possibly posting as well, I soon got a clue, and checked out the 1999 WTM book from my library. :hurray:

A well-worn copy of TWTM lent to me from a friend was the first homeschooling book I ever read. It was overwhelming. The same friend and another family member steered me in the direction of a "box" curriculum for our first year. I have never been sorry for that first choice. However, with time, I have tweaked and tweaked:D Now, with some time homeschooling under my belt so to speak, I'm ready to revisit TWTM. Thank goodness the local B&N gives homeschoolers a discount. It's my bedtime reading tonight.

It sounds like a good reference tool.

That's what I use it for. :) I first read TWTM about 4 or 5 years ago and the lightbulb went on. It showed me how to find a direction in our homeschool, as much of it made sense! However, to do WTM *as written* would be entirely too overwhelming for our family (and unnecessary to our family's goals), but I got the general gist of it. We wanted the core of our homeschool to be the Bible, not Latin or secular history without God, so I continued searching until I found MFW. Since MFW incorporates some elements of a classical education, (and can be done more classically if one wanted to), I've found the balance that works for our family.

• 1 month later...

I came here after I read it.......I think it has helped me in my homeschooling endeavor (starting our 5th year). My dc are workbook lovers!!!!! Yet, I have found time and subjects that I can do a "classic" approach or supplement their books with the "classic" approach. I have found, like many others, that this is one of the best homeschooling sites for us and for no matter what reason we homeschool, we can find support here!!! I wouldn't trade this "treasure find" for anything!

I don't agree with everything I've seen in WTM, although I have more or less read the book. My child is too young for me to even truly know what I will use anyway (not that that keeps me from planning :P ). With that said, I come here because overall, parents on this board believe in challenging your child. They value education and intelligence. Not to be completely offensive, but I'm not really looking for homeschooling advice from parents who think using those grade level workbooks at Costco constitutes a "good enough" education simply because the laws of their state don't require anything more. With other boards that I have been on, it just seems like this philosophy (or something similar) is somewhat common.

I signed up for this forum after reading WTM back in March, but at the time, I was still trying to figure out all the different homeschooling styles. After definitely ruling unschooling and unit studies out, I reread my book.

I searched and searched for an active homeschooling community, but the forums I was a regular at (MDC and TBW) might have had a little hs forum or a little thread, but I wanted more. Other forums were very inactive or dull. And I prefer vBulletin forums over any other type. :)

Then I ordered the new WTM edition and somehow re-found myself here.

I realized this is an awesome homeschooling community! Never have I seen a homeschooling forum so diverse and full of lots of intelligent, passionate people. I picked out curriculum that would work for us based on the other homeschoolers here. And I now think I have every Bauer book out there. :D

I'm not really looking for homeschooling advice from parents who think using those grade level workbooks at Costco constitutes a "good enough" education simply because the laws of their state don't require anything more. With other boards that I have been on, it just seems like this philosophy (or something similar) is somewhat common.
:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I own and have read WTM, but as our hsing evolved, it was important to follow our dc's needs-and some of those needs didn't jive with a Classical model of education. I peruse some of the theory, but have mostly(used loosely) arrived at more of a Charlotte Mason approach. While the timing of introducing information is very important, I haven't always agreed with SWB's choices for curricula. I follow our dc-that is the beauty of hsing.

Personally, I haven't found a hs message board, that is more active than this board, offering such a variety of,"Been there, tried that.";)

Same here. :)

The Well Trained Mind forum has some of the best minds in homeschooling -- passionate homeschooling moms who care deeply about their children, about knowledge, about education and about doing it right. It also happens to be the most active forum I know of. What's not to love? :)

:iagree:

I am new to hs. My son is a 13 year old dyslexic. It would be very difficult and overwhelming to do pure WTM.

I am amazed at the wealth of information and wisdom on this board. I stay because it is my only support system. ;)

I have never read TWTM and, while I think it sounds like a great method, I don't have any intention of starting it in our school.

We were blessed to find the CM method early in our homeschooling and it just really clicked with us. It fit like a glove. We were involved in a community where I had a lot of hsing support and friends, lots of activities and wonderful women to bounce ideas off of.

Then we moved here to Guatemala. There aren't a lot of us here. I remembered how a friend had mentioned these boards and I lurked for a while to see if I "fit". I felt at home and welcome here. It was like water to a dry land to find an online community that I could be part of where I could ask questions, get ideas, discuss books and movies, and be a little silly at times. I love it! It's refreshing to me.

Anyway, that's why I'm here!:001_smile:

I have read TWTM and own the 1999 copy. I have decided not to follow it in our homeschool. I am usually pretty eclectic and use whatever seems like it will work best for us each year.

This year, I am considering using all ACE paces. :001_huh:

Should I pack my bags and get ready to leave now ?:auto:

:leaving:

I am here because I like it.:001_smile:

I have read TWTM and own the 1999 copy. I have decided not to follow it in our homeschool. I am usually pretty eclectic and use whatever seems like it will work best for us each year.

This year, I am considering using all ACE paces. :001_huh:

Should I pack my bags and get ready to leave now ?:auto:

:leaving:

I am here because I like it.:001_smile:

But you know, I believe that we can still implement some of the teaching methods of WTM no matter what "curriculum" (books) we're using. Goodness, there are so many things you can do with those paces. Or not! Maybe this is a season where you just can't think beyond getting the basics done... most of us have seasons like that. (And I've seen some moms who really NEED to take a season like that, but refuse to because they think there's something wrong with it. In the meantime, they're completely stressed/burned out and not helping their child very much at all. Then I see a lot of these moms giving up homeschooling because they can't handle the stress anymore. All because they refused to take a season with a lighter workload. :confused1: )

Regardless, TWTM makes a fantastic and helpful resource whether you're following the book or not. ;)

I had never thought about a classical education before. I have never read TWTM (I now have it on order at the library so I can read it). However, we stumbled into MFW for K and loved it. Then this year we are using an ecclectic bit for 1st and each of the curriculums I looked at meshed with "classical" principles. I do not consider us "classical" homeschoolers. But, I like to think that when a curriculum is good it doesn't matter.

Plus, I have yet to find a board with as many people willing to help newer homeschoolers and answer questions so openly! I thank you all for that!

I'm here because of the quantity and quality of the posts.

I can search and really see quite a few view points. Many users are using the same or similar curriculum that I am.

I haven't read TWTM. I'm not even sure where our curriculum would line up with TWTM.

In general we're headed in a classical direction.

There is definitely no one else around to talk with.

Many thanks for all the support and answered questions.:grouphug:

I have not read TWTM and do not know if I will ever read it. I am not one to read many homeschool help books for parents. I am not using a classical approach to homeschool my kids either. However, there is plenty here on TWTM forums to keep me happy. Everyone here seems to be so knowledgeable about different curriculums. It is also a very active forum. There is nothing more frustrating than asking a question on a forum and not receiving any responses. I don't see that happening here. I hope those of us who homeschool in ways other than classical don't bother the rest of you. We just enjoy all that TWTM boards have to offer.

I read here because it offers something I haven't found elsewhere - a vibrant forum for homeschoolers that isn't overly religious. I have no problem with people who HS for religious reasons or who talk about their faith, but the other forums I've tried seem to focus more on prayer requsts than actually talking about homeschooling. And that's just not what I am looking for.

I bought a copy of WTM and returned it when I got to the part about teaching very young children to memorize information by rote without any attempt to make it meaningful. I disagree with that and it just turned me off. There are other reasons why I'm not interested in using a Classical model, although we do use SOTW :)

I came to this site searching for parents who answer honestly and give advice. I know all children are different but parents here really try to help. I am not doing a classical approach but enjoy reading and looking into things that might work for us. I have been to forums where people aren't active and it is so annoying to ask questions because they will not be answered. That doesn't happen here. We all are homeschoolers and I think that is what we have in common.

I have read WTM through twice and gleaned a lot of useful info, especially for the high school years. I, however, am not a *classical* homeschooler (though we did try the method out twice).

For our family, a God centered home life and education is a must. I, personally, also do not agree with 95% of the recommended books, at least not for children under 16 and up. :)

I really enjoy these boards (I am mostly a luker) though because I do want a rigorous education for my children. I appreciate the great and intelligent homeschooling conversation that I find here.

I was doing some research on different books and kept ending up here. I decided that it was a great place to start instead of ending via google searches. Before this I had never heard of WTM or FLL or WWE (or a host of other great programs), but I have since read WTM from the library and am planning on using FLL and WWE next year. I agree with previous posters. This is a great site with a lot of dedicated parents willing to offer advice.

I was directed here when I begged someone on another board to tell me where she goes to get advice from people who aren't all about unschooling. :D I get really tired of all the, "if they aren't reading yet, it means they aren't ready and they might not be ready until they're 13 and that's fine," nonsense.

I've not read WTM, but I'll get around to it eventually. I don't know that we're textbook classical, because I've not read WTM or any other book about classical education, but the science and history curricula I'm interested in do work on the rotational schedule and I am interested in using a Latin curriculum at some point. I also believe in having goals and in rigorous education...as long as it's not painful. :tongue_smilie:

This is me! I do follow it a bit, but not to the "T", we implement what works, and don't use what doesn't. I love the Classical Method, and also love the Charlotte Mason method. There is a ton of knowledge on these boards and it is great to gain wisdom, knowledge, vent, rant, or rave with the other great parents on the board.

I have read TWTM but I have no intention of following it. I think my ds would fall apart if I tried to implement a classical model. It seems like it would overwhelm him. However, I do think that classically schooled kids and adults have a great base of knowledge and experience from which they could draw. I would have loved to receive such an education.

We started home schooling in 4th grade and unfortunately my ds is one of those kids that thinks he knows better than everybody else. He is almost impossible to home school. In fact, his 3rd grade teacher laughed at me and, as she snickered, wished me good luck with it. ( I now know why she snickered. He's stubborn, uncooperative, disrespectful, and thinks he's in charge. Yeah, lovely, I know.) I don't think the classical approach is for every kid.

So why do I come here? I want to know what you gals think! What are you teaching your kids? What works? How do you approach your lessons? Which curriculum should I look at? It's because of this forum that I embarked on a seperate study of latin roots, discovered what diagramming a sentence means, understand how important history studies are...

I want my ds to get a great education and I'm responsible for that. Why wouldn't I want to check in with families who, in my opinion, chose a wonderful approach to home schooling? Also, not every family supporting the classical model actually sticks to it 100%. In the beginning of TWTM, Susan talks about how each family needs to customize what works for their particular child and how the book was meant as a guide.

• 3 weeks later...
I haven't read it, but get all my info from here.
Actually reading it has helped me so much. One reason is that so many on these boards do more than what is in the book.

In the highschool years there is direction as to awarding credit, dual enrollment, etc. In the logic stage their are now tips for outlining.

You are really missing out by not reading it, even if you don't closely follow TWTM philosophy.

I am new to homeschooling and with only one year under my belt and five children in line I am looking for more, more information, ideas, guidance, you name it. I am slowly moving away from the school at home mindset to a more open one. We are trying a combination of SOTW Ancient with my younger kids and Journey Across Time with my oldest. It is a process. Some things just won't work for my kids and everyone here seems very open to sharing what works for them.