Menu

What's with the ads?

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Unfortauntely, with a second language, there may be no end to intermediate hell. LOL. I feel like I'm still in it, and I've been fluent in French and living in French speaking Switzerland for... 15 years. I learned this tip from the book Fluent Forever (interesting raed, but I think you're beyond it)- Read books, especially engaging series, as authors tend to have their own limited vocabulary, and by constant exposure, the vocab is acquired easily through context. This has definitely been my case. I love reading in French on my kindle because of the word-touch-dictionary thing. It takes a lot of pain and frustration out of reading in my second language, and so therefore reading volume increases. Can't dig around for a source right now, but bear in mind the following: In your native language, a well-read person will establish a vocabulary of 20-25k words. In a second language, even with LIFELONG study, it is hard to pass 10k words. Luckily, most people only need about 5-8k words for what we call fluency. With good study, you can work your way to technical fluency in about 5 years of study, faster with immersion. But after that, every year of study provides diminishing returns unless you are trying really, really hard. I don't say that to discourage you, but rather to show that getting to that 8-10k words is really great and "enough" in almost all senses of the word. Add in things like kindle dictionary (or a dead tree dictionary) and pretty much all doors are opened to you. A thesaurus in the target language is also a really great tool. Often times we have passive acquisition of many near-synonyms, but struggle to put them into use in our speaking/writing. A thesaurus can help eliminate weak/imprecise language in writing by reminding us of similar words we already know passively. Ex. Moving from choosing "big" to choosing "huge", "gigantic", "enormous", "collosal" is often times not about not knowing those words on sight, but about not having them be the fastest word that pops up in our mental dicitonary. A thesaurus can help build the reflex to keep hunting until we have exactly the right word. I prefer digital thesauruses to eliminate frustration, and we do "paper dicitonary work" as an entirely different skill that they need to have in order to succeed in an artifical testing environment. A fun exercise is "How crazy can you make it?", changing mundane senences into monstrous ones through thesaurus work. i.e. The small rat whispered "Now!" ----> The miniscule rodent breathed, "Forthwith!" It's not about making every single word better- sometimes simpler IS better- but about thinking about nuance in meaning.
  3. I was talking about mash as a verb, though. And none of those things like “line up” seem weird to me since I am used to them. @Pen I really only think of England when I hear “mind the gap.” My sister gave me a shirt with that and the metro logo. Dh thought it sounded dirty and I was embarrassed to wear it.
  4. I love Ivy kids for 4-5 maybe even 6 yer olds. It has been the one kit I’ve felt is worth the money. The books and activities are fun and easy to pull out for a child who wants to do hand son things. The activities can get repetitive though after awhile. We subbed for two years for a few kids and have several painted banks and other items around the house 😂. The games are all pretty much the same just a different theme. Still my 5 yo has enjoyed them a second year. We stopped and just reuse the activities when we want something easy to do.
  5. The first two is quite easy to find on Half Price Bookstores. The 5th edition of the Starnes, Yates and Moore is on internet archive and is a commonly used AP Statistics text. The Triola text is a common community college text. I won’t keep any because I don’t have the space, some books are now on the living room floor and I have no room for more bookshelves. Who are you keeping for? For your kids or for yourself?
  6. Go to bed at some point. Up in time to shower/wash hair. Church. Work. Make the kids do housework and start a journal. Laundry? Whatever else gets done.
  7. wow. I hope things can start to be better for her. has she read up on narcissistic parents? it might help her understand and understand it really isn't her. and how to implement boundaries. lots and lots of boundaries.
  8. Flonase. It will take a few days to start shrinking inflamed tissues. But one it starts working all the gunk will start coming out. I’ve only used it twice but had the same experience both times. Used it for a month each time.
  9. Nothing. The 4 sides around the table are: 1) Window/patio door; 2) open space above counter/cabinets separating the eating area from the cooking/washing area; 3) Open walkway leading to the living room; 4) doors to the garage and laundry room. Before we "remodeled," we had one wall with a painting on it. The painting was a bouquet of yellow flowers.
  10. Yes, landlords should have the right to limit pets. (Service animals are not pets in the typical sense of the word). There are millions of renters who have pets....there are millions of renters that have pet allergies. There needs to be housing for both. Dander is sticky and can't just be cleaned out of a home with a carpet shampooing. It is on walls, window coverings and all surfaces. My son had severe hives over 75% of his body at 1yo due to a cat. He had to be in a completely pet-free home. Subsequent reactions would have likely been worse. If all homes had to allow pets, he would have major problems.
  11. That’s rough. I’m glad she got her things. Did she ever get ahold of her birth certificate?
  12. church clean living room/dining room/ bathroom because I think that we're having guests on Monday. Can I just run away instead? Much less work!
  13. My idealistic animal lover side wants to say of course. But my others thinking side just says - guess what - everyone’s bond just went up by 400pc. Because covering the cost of replacing carpet and curtains and chewed walls isn’t cheap. Practically what I’ve seen happen is people who want to rent but have animals need to accept a property in less than perfect condition. It works for the landlord because they don’t have to bring the house up to scratch cosmetically just keep it safe. It works for pet owners because they get to rent a house and if the pet does minor damage it doesn’t make a huge difference. housing affordability is a separate thing.
  14. I have a moon roof on my 98 Camry and on my 2001 Mercedes Coup, and I love them. They were not priorities of mine to say the least. The only reason I have them is that they were on the used cars I bought. I hate the sun beating down on my head. But, I do have a ceiling cover for each one. And I don't believe that they have contributed to the car heating up. What I like about them is: 1. At night when I'm driving in the country/woods/forest, which I do quite often, I love pulling back the ceiling cover so that the moon can shine in. If gives me a feeling like I'm in a bubble of forest, it's so beautiful. But I don't open the moonroof itself. 2. They help me find my car! There are so many old Camrys around, and this helps to distinguish mine from the rest in big parking lots. 3. I can put my keys on them without worrying about damaging the paint. So, these are unconventional reasons to want one, but I'm really enjoying mine.
  15. If they all qualify as potential keepers, I would keep the most recent one.
  16. One wall has a small bay window. The other has a large mosaic tortoise that I made.
  17. I don't think a student needs a conventional transcript, and I think interest-led classes can be amazing. However, I also think that high school is a time for expanding your horizons, and that there is a minimum knowledge of various subjects needed in order to consider yourself an educated person. For example, some people have a particular interest in weaponry and this is reflected in their history studies. Other people might view history through an artistic lens, spending a lot of time on the artists and art movements that reflected the mood and events of the time. But they are all doing history, they all learn about WWII and the civil rights movement and so on. I do think that your situation is complicated because he is taking all fun stuff at public school and all difficult/less fun stuff at home. Clearly he doesn't hate everything that isn't furthering his goal of getting into esports, he simply hates everything that is not fun. Oh well. I would give him a choice: he can improve his attitude and stay at home where he at least has some input into courses and specialization, or he can go to the public school full-time. You're going to get an education, which method would you prefer? If he wants to stay home, make it clear that you aren't going to put in all the effort. A student who isn't willing to put in the work of helping to plan a year-long project is a student who is not going to actually do the work of that year-long project. He wants out-of-the-box classes, he can help design them and he can work through them with no more than the standard level of teen angst and moaning.
  18. But a college prereq is referring to a class taken in college, not high school. So, a college that lists precalc as a prereq to calculus seems to be saying that you cannot begin with calculus. Most colleges list a prereq OR a score on a test. Some allow this to be a standardized test, others require a specific placement test. So the listing for calculus would read something like: Precalculus with a C or better OR Level 3 placement. I'm guessing that this school is simply not listing the placement option in the description, rather than a placement option not existing. It doesn't make sense for a student who took calc in high school to start with precalc, much less college algebra. I'm laying my bet on this CC having tons of DE students, and this course sequence is intended for them.
  19. a photo of the wind river range at sunset/sunrise.
  20. Critical Thinking Co. for some great puzzle and logic books manipulatives - last year we bought some knights to use as math manipulatives - it tied in with our medieval studies and the twins thought they were way more exciting then wooden blocks educational literacy and math games audio of great classical books Blue Planet documentaries nature kits if they will tie into your science - something like fossils, gemstone collection, or human body kits microscope year pass to the museum whiteboard Montessori wooden letters
  21. We use an Apple TV, and we buy from the iTunes Store.
  22. This may sound "out there," but one of the teachers in my extended family took a job at a juvenile detention facility. She works overnight, helping with homework and tutoring for a few hours in the evening, and then just overseeing things after bedtime. She loves it. She taught middle school math and science throughout her working years, and then took this job "to come out of retirement." It's an entirely different setting, with no complaints whatsoever from students/parents/others. Just a lot of appreciation.
  23. No. I love pets, and have always had many. (I am currently giving daily abx shots to a turtle, for goodness sake!), but my son is actually anaphylactic to cats. There was a time I’d have answered yes, but that was before I knew that people could have this level of allergy to dander. We had a heck of a time buying a house, and he almost had to use his epipen when some unscrupulous agents told us a house was cat free. His throat started closing within minutes of entering. He never made it past the foyer. When we considered leasing our last home, we wanted to allow dogs but not cats. Cats would mean that our young son could not come with us to clean between renters, or even go in the house again. We feared someone might sneak in a cat, and finally we reluctantly decided “no pets” had to be the answer. So, no. Of course not. Everyone has different needs, and some people even need pet free homes.
  24. Oh, and yes, a round of steroids might really help.
  25. Poor man's muscle relaxant is a few drinks before bed...just saying. I've had that work for me when it was TMJ pain that was muscle related Also, there is a youtube channel called the most famous physical therapists in the world or something like that, they have EXCELLENT videos that really helped my back. This is the video channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/physicaltherapyvideo
  26. I will try to upload a photo of my kitchen.
  1. Load more activity