Menu

s/o Portion Control/bingeing

Kassia

I lost a lot of weight several years ago and have maintained that weight loss.  I eat mostly the same foods every day and realized almost everything I eat is portion-controlled and I'm afraid to eat anything that is not because I know I will binge on it or eat way more than I need to because it's there.  For example, I eat a lot of cheese sticks, protein bars, eggs, sugar-free fudgsicles, apples, yogurt, etc.  But sometimes I'm really hungry and want a snack or I just want a treat to snack on like pretzels, cereal, ice cream, etc.  If I open a package of any of those things, I would just keep eating until the package was empty.  What can I do to stop this?  How can I just eat a normal amount of food and then put it away and not have it calling me until it's gone?  

I lack whatever it is in the brain that tells you you're full so I can't stop like other people when they feel satisfied.  I can just keep eating and eating and eating.  I am just careful with portions at mealtimes - I will weigh/measure my food sometimes or take what I think is a normal portion but never go back for more.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 2

Some foods just canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t come into the house because I simply canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t limit them, even though I have excellent control with many other things.

I suspect that is what I need to do as well.  :(   I'm fine with the food in the house, but once I start I can't stop until it's gone.  

Edited by Kassia

I suspect that is what I need to do as well.  :(   I'm fine with the food in the house, but once I start I can't stop until it's gone.  

If I have something in the house that I know I will not be able to stop eating (for instance, I have some Trader Joe's peppermint Jo-jo's in my closet and will pull them out when the kids get home at Christmas) one thing I do is to not have any until there is only one serving left. Then I can only eat a serving because there isn't any more to eat!  I can usually hold out that way. 

Otherwise, I just won't buy the stuff, because I am not someone who can eat my trigger foods in moderation, either. 

• Like 2

I prepackage a set portion for the day. Like M&M's. We have a container in the kitchen and I'll grab an M&M every time I go into the kitchen or even pass the counter on the way to the back door to let the dog in/out. So I put 20 M&M's in a dixie cup and that is what I pull from. When that cup is empty, I'm done for the day.

Somethings lend themselves to portioning. I like a small snack of hummus and pretzels. I use a small amount of hummus and 10 pretzels. I run out of hummus if I eat more pretzels. Yes, it's a portioned food which I think you're saying you want to get away from.

I too lost a lot of weight and have maintained. I am so used to portioning out all my food that I don't think twice about it anymore. I do not count things like raw veggies but I do count the calories in the ranch dressing I use as a dip. I'll do that maybe twice a week when I'm really in the mood for raw veggies. I eat two portions of fruit a day but I know the calories. I like kiwis, bananas, and single serving package of diced peaches.

For times when I just feel like I want to eat but I'm not hungry, I have coffee or hot tea.

And I drink flavored water with Mio which makes water drinking more pleasant.

• Like 4

I'm kind of the same way.  If there's nothing good about it (health-wise), then I'm better off not even having it in the house.

Otherwise, I find that if I have a pre-meal snack of a veggie smoothie (that I make in my bullet-blender -- sweetened by just a tiny bit of fruit and only water as liquid), then I do get feel satisfied much sooner!

• Like 1

If I have something in the house that I know I will not be able to stop eating (for instance, I have some Trader Joe's peppermint Jo-jo's in my closet and will pull them out when the kids get home at Christmas) one thing I do is to not have any until there is only one serving left. Then I can only eat a serving because there isn't any more to eat!  I can usually hold out that way. 

I try to do this, too.  Especially with nuts.  We always have open bags here and I always overeat them if I have them so I try to only let myself eat them if they are down to the bottom of the package.  

I'm not glad that others struggle with this, but I am relieved that I'm not alone!  It's something that makes me feel bad about myself.  

• Like 1

Congratulations on maintaining that weight loss!  They say that the maintenance is the most difficult part of the equation.  There are certain foods that just trigger that endless eating for me, so I limit bringing them into the house.  Saying foods are off limits don't work for me because it makes me want them more I think.  For example, I love love love this certain brand and type of potato chip.  In order to keep myself from eating from the bag, I only buy them maybe every 2 months and I won't open the bag (once the bag is open I can't stop picking at it) until my whole family is around to share it.  That keeps me from eating the entire thing.  On the other hand, my kids like pretzels, but I don't really care for them.  I buy them because they offer no temptation for me.  Another thing you might do is only eat certain foods outside of the house.  For example, maybe you can think about only eating ice cream at a nice ice cream place once in a while.  The cost of trouble of going to that place will naturally limit ice cream eating.  Man, if I have coffee or mocha ice cream in the house, I can't resist taking a spoonful every time I'm in the kitchen.  

• Like 4

I lost a lot of weight several years ago and have maintained that weight loss.  I eat mostly the same foods every day and realized almost everything I eat is portion-controlled and I'm afraid to eat anything that is not because I know I will binge on it or eat way more than I need to because it's there.  For example, I eat a lot of cheese sticks, protein bars, eggs, sugar-free fudgsicles, apples, yogurt, etc.  But sometimes I'm really hungry and want a snack or I just want a treat to snack on like pretzels, cereal, ice cream, etc.  If I open a package of any of those things, I would just keep eating until the package was empty.  What can I do to stop this?  How can I just eat a normal amount of food and then put it away and not have it calling me until it's gone?  

I lack whatever it is in the brain that tells you you're full so I can't stop like other people when they feel satisfied.  I can just keep eating and eating and eating.  I am just careful with portions at mealtimes - I will weigh/measure my food sometimes or take what I think is a normal portion but never go back for more.  

Chips are my downfall. At this point, I can't justify the cost or waste of buying lunchsize packs. I buy family size bags, then pack 18oz Ziploc containers for family members. Because I want to be sure to have them on hand for their lunches, when I cave and eat some, I try to just throw a handful in the same size container they get, then close the bag and put it away. I should jut not eat them at all, but portion control (most of the time) is the best I have done so far.

• Like 2

On the other hand, my kids like pretzels, but I don't really care for them.  I buy them because they offer no temptation for me.  Another thing you might do is only eat certain foods outside of the house.  For example, maybe you can think about only eating ice cream at a nice ice cream place once in a while.  The cost of trouble of going to that place will naturally limit ice cream eating.  Man, if I have coffee or mocha ice cream in the house, I can't resist taking a spoonful every time I'm in the kitchen.  

I try to do this, too - buying things for the family that won't be as tempting for me so they can still have their snacks in the house.  I've been doing well with the ice cream, but bought myself TWO cartons of my favorite flavor when it was on sale.  Ate the entire first carton in one day and now I'm afraid to open the second container.  Ugh - stupid decision.  Usually, as you recommended, DH and I will go out on a special ice cream date so it's a one-time thing.  And I bought myself a bunch of boxes of cereal on sale that I love but now I'm afraid to open.  I should know better by now!  Once all of this stuff is gone I'm not bringing it into the house anymore - even if it's free!

Food is such a difficult area to master--it's not like you can just not bring food into the house.  :0/

It really is!  My sons are coming home for a longer visit for the holidays and, of course, I love having them home, but it's like a total foodfest when they are here and I can't stay on track.  I know I'll get back to my normal eating routine when they leave, but I worry about the weight gain.  Obviously not worried enough to abstain from eating with them, but the food issues become stressful for me.  

• Like 1

Food can always be a lifelong struggle. I cannot buy certain trigger foods for me and keep them in the house. Other foods I buy in small portions (think pint sized or smaller ice cream, but also low cal. So if I binge, the problem is limited).

Some foods I can gradually incorporate into the house and not eat, usually if theyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re bought for a specific person, and repackaged (for instance, popped bagged popcorn IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll put into ziploc individual bags and not touch). But, that same bagged popcorn? Took me a few months or longer to not eat a whole bag myself.

I also try to make sure IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m cooking healthy meals and not starving and have things planned. The other day I was so hungry and I almost grabbed some junk food, but I had cottage cheese and fruit instead. When itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not in the house, poor food planning can cause a problem. Or if thereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Ă¢â‚¬Å“nothing for dinnerĂ¢â‚¬, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll order pizza. But if I planned on breakfast for dinner IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m likely to just have yogurt and eggs or something.

There are books on binging if you truly need help with strategies. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not sure what they might be.

• Like 3

I also try to make sure IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m cooking healthy meals and not starving and have things planned. The other day I was so hungry and I almost grabbed some junk food, but I had cottage cheese and fruit instead. When itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not in the house, poor food planning can cause a problem. Or if thereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Ă¢â‚¬Å“nothing for dinnerĂ¢â‚¬, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll order pizza. But if I planned on breakfast for dinner IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m likely to just have yogurt and eggs or something.

There are books on binging if you truly need help with strategies. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not sure what they might be.

I try to have healthier/portion-controlled substitutions that I love to keep me from bingeing.  So, if DH is eating cookies, I'll have a protein bar.  Or if find myself craving pretzels, I'll decide it's salt I want and I'll have lite cheese sticks or tuna or eggs or something like that.  But sometimes my stomach feels really empty and I want to fill it up - that's when I have to be really careful not to go for the pretzels, nuts, crackers, cereal, etc. because I'll just eat and eat and eat until the package is empty.  But I try really hard to focus on reaching for something healthier and more satisfying than my craving.  

• Like 4

It really is!  My sons are coming home for a longer visit for the holidays and, of course, I love having them home, but it's like a total foodfest when they are here and I can't stay on track.  I know I'll get back to my normal eating routine when they leave, but I worry about the weight gain.  Obviously not worried enough to abstain from eating with them, but the food issues become stressful for me.  

One thing that I ask my adult sons to do is when they would like to enjoy a food that is a trigger food for me is to keep it out of my sight. They are very cooperative with this. That doesn't mean they can't eat it in the kitchen or with siblings or friends but when there aren't people there actively eating it, I won't see it and fixate on it like a laser beam.  

• Like 2

First of all, I absolutely struggle with the same thing.  I think I will my whole life.  I've read theories that it's two things - partially a genetic high response to bliss-point foods, and partially high insulin (also genetic).  The only way I've ever found to lower my desire to overeat stuff like that is fasting - either purposefully OR by getting so sick I can't eat for a week or more.  Personally I've found anticipating long fasts leads me to binge eat even more, so what works best for me is either having one meal a day OR one meal and one snack within a few hours.

I can't recall the best book on bliss point foods; it may have been something like Sugar, Salt, and Fat.  I also really liked Presto! How I Made 100 Pounds Disappear by Penn Jillette.  The Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung was also pretty good in terms of explaining why diets don't work over the long term unless you can lower insulin levels in the process - he prefers intermittent fasting.

Finally I've noted some of my "naturally thin" friends DO struggle with this sort of thing, they just feel differently about the need to limit it.  The need to think about limiting what they eat is just automatic to them, I don't know if this is a psychological thing or just really good modeling by their parents - the need to think about limiting their intake is as automatic of a choice as brushing their teeth or hair or showering every day.

• Like 3

Lay your fist on the table. Never eat any more than equal to that size.

That might make some sense for snacks, but as a general rule? No.

I'd be extremely deficient in my veggie intake if I followed that rule. My fist is small, there's no way I'd get anywhere near the recommended servings. My lunch is almost always a huge veggie salad that is many, many times the size of my fist. But it has very few calories.

• Like 3

For me out of sight out of mind. The kids keep their stuff in their rooms. I do most of the things mentioned here but mostly I don't snack. Period. If I do it's planned ex. Cheese if I go with friends for wine. These are rare occassions. I don't think thinking about portion in is bad though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That might make some sense for snacks, but as a general rule? No.

I'd be extremely deficient in my veggie intake if I followed that rule. My fist is small, there's no way I'd get anywhere near the recommended servings. My lunch is almost always a huge veggie salad that is many, many times the size of my fist. But it has very few calories.

my fist is quite small...I'd starve!

• Like 1

Only thing I do is portion stuff out and avoid mindless eating.  The "trouble" really is when I'm watching TV and have a full bag of something.  I also try to mostly have snacks I won't feel bad about (raw veggies for example).  I usually buy a giant bag of broccoli to snack on.  Believe me, you cannot overdo this. LOL

• Like 1

A great quote I read when I started WW was, "It's easier to say no once, at the grocery store, than every time I open the pantry door." It's so true for me. Some things, I just don't buy them. Others, I can do single serve. Other stuff, I'm fine with it in the house. My kids know I'm getting healthy, and they're great about it. They still get a treat, but it's now really a treat, not a habit. I think we're all healthier for it!

• Like 4

Finally I've noted some of my "naturally thin" friends DO struggle with this sort of thing, they just feel differently about the need to limit it.  The need to think about limiting what they eat is just automatic to them, I don't know if this is a psychological thing or just really good modeling by their parents - the need to think about limiting their intake is as automatic of a choice as brushing their teeth or hair or showering every day.

My DH is naturally thin and we talk about this a lot.  It's so easy for him to just grab a small snack and stop.  I'm baffled by this because I've never experienced it and he's baffled by my frenzy to eat more and more of something once I start.  

For me out of sight out of mind. The kids keep their stuff in their rooms. I do most of the things mentioned here but mostly I don't snack. Period. If I do it's planned ex. Cheese if I go with friends for wine. These are rare occassions. I don't think thinking about portion in is bad though.

I don't like eating big meals so I end up really snacking all day.  I get too hungry if I go a long time without food and prefer eating small amounts frequently.

Only thing I do is portion stuff out and avoid mindless eating.  The "trouble" really is when I'm watching TV and have a full bag of something.  I also try to mostly have snacks I won't feel bad about (raw veggies for example).  I usually buy a giant bag of broccoli to snack on.  Believe me, you cannot overdo this. LOL

This is what my sons do - they will eat a huge bag of carrots or a big plate of sliced green peppers or something like that for healthy snacks (they are always trying to gain weight so it's not a weight issue).  My problem is that I hate veggies.  I wish I liked them because that would be perfect for me when I'm looking for volume.  I do like fruit so I will have an apple sliced very thin so I'm eating a lot of slices at least.  

A great quote I read when I started WW was, "It's easier to say no once, at the grocery store, than every time I open the pantry door." It's so true for me. 

Oh, I LOVE this quote!  Thank you for sharing!  I need to keep this in mind!  I also have to remember that getting a great price on something like ice cream or the other snack foods I have problems with isn't a good thing if the item just causes me angst or makes me gain weight!  

• Like 1

I try to have healthier/portion-controlled substitutions that I love to keep me from bingeing. So, if DH is eating cookies, I'll have a protein bar. Or if find myself craving pretzels, I'll decide it's salt I want and I'll have lite cheese sticks or tuna or eggs or something like that. But sometimes my stomach feels really empty and I want to fill it up - that's when I have to be really careful not to go for the pretzels, nuts, crackers, cereal, etc. because I'll just eat and eat and eat until the package is empty. But I try really hard to focus on reaching for something healthier and more satisfying than my craving.

If your stomach is feeling empty, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d fill it- first a cup or two of tea or drinks, maybe consider making a broth soup, like miso or vegetable soup. Or maybe a big salad. If youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re still feeling hungry after all that, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d make a light meal. Some people are underestimating the amount of calories they need. If youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve been maintaining your weight a while, thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s less likely. But maybe some other thing could be happening, like anemia, or hypothyroidism. Also be sure youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re getting adequate nutrition.

My DH is naturally thin and we talk about this a lot.  It's so easy for him to just grab a small snack and stop.  I'm baffled by this because I've never experienced it and he's baffled by my frenzy to eat more and more of something once I start.  

I don't like eating big meals so I end up really snacking all day.  I get too hungry if I go a long time without food and prefer eating small amounts frequently.

I can't go more than 3 hours between meals, so I need healthy snacks. My nutritionist helped me figure some out, although I ended up choosing some things she didn't recommend. Some days I get hungry after only 2 hours. Those aggravate me. 

This is what my sons do - they will eat a huge bag of carrots or a big plate of sliced green peppers or something like that for healthy snacks (they are always trying to gain weight so it's not a weight issue).  My problem is that I hate veggies.  I wish I liked them because that would be perfect for me when I'm looking for volume.  I do like fruit so I will have an apple sliced very thin so I'm eating a lot of slices at least.  

I didn't love veggies at first either but I tried out about half a dozen until I found a few that worked. I use a very small amount of ranch dressing as a dip. For celery, I use a small amount of peanut butter.

Oh, I LOVE this quote!  Thank you for sharing!  I need to keep this in mind!  I also have to remember that getting a great price on something like ice cream or the other snack foods I have problems with isn't a good thing if the item just causes me angst or makes me gain weight!  

I try to have healthier/portion-controlled substitutions that I love to keep me from bingeing.  So, if DH is eating cookies, I'll have a protein bar.  Or if find myself craving pretzels, I'll decide it's salt I want and I'll have lite cheese sticks or tuna or eggs or something like that.  But sometimes my stomach feels really empty and I want to fill it up - that's when I have to be really careful not to go for the pretzels, nuts, crackers, cereal, etc. because I'll just eat and eat and eat until the package is empty.  But I try really hard to focus on reaching for something healthier and more satisfying than my craving.  

This is what's been working well for me - having my own healthy foods/snacks. The dc know they aren't allowed to take them, not that they would when there are other things they prefer.  :laugh:

The other thing that promotes binge eating is when I spend too much time in the kitchen. Then it's far too easy to help myself to food, even if I'm not actually hungry. 

• Like 1

A great quote I read when I started WW was, "It's easier to say no once, at the grocery store, than every time I open the pantry door." It's so true for me. Some things, I just don't buy them. Others, I can do single serve. Other stuff, I'm fine with it in the house. My kids know I'm getting healthy, and they're great about it. They still get a treat, but it's now really a treat, not a habit. I think we're all healthier for it!

This is what I do, too. I decided a few months ago to no longer buy unhealthy food. No more sugar, no more chips, no more crackers, etc. Dh and I have each lost 20+ pounds since then and our kids (who were already in great shape) are eating a lot more healthy foods like veggies, berries, and nuts.

• Like 2

If your stomach is feeling empty, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d fill it- first a cup or two of tea or drinks, maybe consider making a broth soup, like miso or vegetable soup. Or maybe a big salad. If youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re still feeling hungry after all that, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d make a light meal. Some people are underestimating the amount of calories they need. If youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve been maintaining your weight a while, thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s less likely. But maybe some other thing could be happening, like anemia, or hypothyroidism. Also be sure youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re getting adequate nutrition.

I do wonder if I'm not eating enough. I am active and have no idea how many calories I need, and sometimes I wonder if I'm undereating, which is causing me to feel so hungry at times (I wake up hungry during the night even sometimes).  I do drink a lot to keep my stomach feeling full and also just for the experience of having something tasty to swallow (I chew a lot of gum, too!).  A big salad is a good idea. 

I can't go more than 3 hours between meals, so I need healthy snacks. My nutritionist helped me figure some out, although I ended up choosing some things she didn't recommend. Some days I get hungry after only 2 hours. Those aggravate me. 

I didn't love veggies at first either but I tried out about half a dozen until I found a few that worked. I use a very small amount of ranch dressing as a dip. For celery, I use a small amount of peanut butter.

I can't go long without eating either!  I start getting light headed and cranky if I go more than 2-3 hours.  And I frequently wake up hungry at night.  If we're going somewhere and will be gone a while, I always pack food and worry about getting hungry.  Can you share what veggies you discovered you like?  

• Like 1

You donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t necessarily need to count calories. If youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re maintaining your weight, your calorie intake is probably just right. If youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re losing weight slowly, youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re not eating enough calories to maintain. If youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re maintaining, and not slowly losing, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d look more to nutrition and bulky foods. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d aim for at least 4-5 servings of vegetables per day, plus some fruit too. Or even more veg if you donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t eat fruits. Consider putting beans on salads or with meals to give a lot of filling food. Vegetables are lower in calories and a lot can fill you up on few calories.

I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t snack on vegetables. I will eat salads with lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber, and cheese for fat/protein. I will eat carrots with hummus, but other raw vegetables IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not too cool with. ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s ok, because IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll eat warm edamame, and almost any vegetable roasted. One snack I like is zucchini pizza- zucchini or yellow squash sliced into circles, some pizza sauce, garlic and onion powder, and a little mozzarella cheese on it, in the oven for 20 - 25 min or so at 350. If the circles are large enough, you may be able to squeeze onion or mushroom on top.

You can also make a ranch dressing with yogurt and spices or ranch packaged dressing spices. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s got better nutrition and lower calories. Also, consider if the weight youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re at is a healthy BMI for your height. Some people choose weight goals that might be too low and may be hungry often.

I do wonder if I'm not eating enough. I am active and have no idea how many calories I need, and sometimes I wonder if I'm undereating, which is causing me to feel so hungry at times (I wake up hungry during the night even sometimes). I do drink a lot to keep my stomach feeling full and also just for the experience of having something tasty to swallow (I chew a lot of gum, too!). A big salad is a good idea.

I can't go long without eating either! I start getting light headed and cranky if I go more than 2-3 hours. And I frequently wake up hungry at night. If we're going somewhere and will be gone a while, I always pack food and worry about getting hungry. Can you share what veggies you discovered you like?

Are you eating enough good fats? Since youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re more of a snacker, you could be eating too little fat.

• Like 1

You donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t necessarily need to count calories. If youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re maintaining your weight, your calorie intake is probably just right. If youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re losing weight slowly, youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re not eating enough calories to maintain. If youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re maintaining, and not slowly losing, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d look more to nutrition and bulky foods. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d aim for at least 4-5 servings of vegetables per day, plus some fruit too. Or even more veg if you donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t eat fruits. Consider putting beans on salads or with meals to give a lot of filling food. Vegetables are lower in calories and a lot can fill you up on few calories.

I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t snack on vegetables. I will eat salads with lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber, and cheese for fat/protein. I will eat carrots with hummus, but other raw vegetables IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not too cool with. ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s ok, because IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll eat warm edamame, and almost any vegetable roasted. One snack I like is zucchini pizza- zucchini or yellow squash sliced into circles, some pizza sauce, garlic and onion powder, and a little mozzarella cheese on it, in the oven for 20 - 25 min or so at 350. If the circles are large enough, you may be able to squeeze onion or mushroom on top.

I do maintain my weight, but lose a little bit if I've gone without a *cheat* day or haven't binged so I suspect my daily calorie intake is a bit too low and then I make up for that with binging or a cheat day.  I'm trying to eat a little more daily in the hopes of not getting so hungry and ending up being out of control.  I hate vegetables and rarely eat them (this is embarrassing for me, but true).  

You can also make a ranch dressing with yogurt and spices or ranch packaged dressing spices. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s got better nutrition and lower calories. Also, consider if the weight youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re at is a healthy BMI for your height. Some people choose weight goals that might be too low and may be hungry often.

I'm at a healthy weight and my doctors don't say anything about it.  DH thinks I'm too thin, but he likes curvy women.  

Are you eating enough good fats? Since youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re more of a snacker, you could be eating too little fat.

I think I eat enough fat, but probably not enough good fats. Ideally, I'd get around 30% of my calories from fat and I end up with a little lower than that percentage.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1

I can't go long without eating either!  I start getting light headed and cranky if I go more than 2-3 hours.  And I frequently wake up hungry at night.  If we're going somewhere and will be gone a while, I always pack food and worry about getting hungry.  Can you share what veggies you discovered you like?  

Celery

carrots

yellow squash

zucchini

broccoli

cauliflower

If I get a bowl of veggies, I get a small amount of ranch dressing, just enough to dip not cover. Sometimes I'm just in the mood to munch on something though so I just grab a piece out of the refrigerator without dip.

I also really like sauteed yellow squash, zucchini, and onions and will make that for lunch. I just season with salt and pepper though. I suppose it could be considered bland but it's really good to me.

And sometimes I steam broccoli and cauliflower but not as often as I eat them raw.

Another way to get veggies in is another bland dish of mine. It's green peppers, onions and turkey sausage. I sautee the veggies, add the meat and cook some more, then add water and cover for about 5-10 minutes. I once thought about adding spices but I don't know what to add so we just use salt and pepper. We serve it over rice.

• Like 1

Yes.

I always used to buy the big bags of potato chips because they were "so much cheaper". Well, yeah, on a per-unit price they were, but since it just meant that I was eating a $3 family size bag in one sitting as opposed to a 50 cent 1 oz bag in one sitting, they weren't cheaper in practice. 

• Like 2

Not suggesting you go low carb (for one thing it's not that great of an idea if you hate vegetables), but low carb keeps me from feeling starved every two hours.  It's very freeing to not have that ball and chain. 

Interesting.  I eat a lot of carbs early in the day and mostly protein the rest of the day.  I really try to focus on protein when I'm hungry and looking for something to hold me until the next meal even though what I want is a big serving of carbs - crackers, cereal, etc.  

A lot of people say that they don't like vegetables.  A lot of the enjoyment of food and vegetables in particular comes in the preparation. I love veggies, but I don't like veggie platters with dip, steamed with butter, or covered in cheeses.  I dislike boring salads with ranch dressing or even most typical american salad dressings.  So, if you're interested, try some new recipes and learn to make salad dressings.  Ethnic cuisines are filled with vegetables and are absolutely delicious.  Try something new.

• Like 1

On getting in vegetables: 

I have a ds who had sensory integration issues and was a picky eater. Getting him to eat veges was a challenge. I read somewhere back then that if you eat a small bit of something for 9 days in a row, you will lose any aversion to it. It did work for him. If you want to try it, I would start with a green leafy vege or a cruciferous vege, just because they are both key to our nutrient status. 

Are there any that you like? 

Can you eat salad? A salad a day, even a side-salad is an important contribution to your nutrition. In the MIND diet, which has been shown to reduce the chance of dementia (not that that is likely to be on your mind, but it shows its importance) a salad a day plus one other vege is enough to reduce the chance of dementia. Part of it is the salad contains green leafy veges; part of it is eating some raw veges. 

What about soup? Can you eat veges in soups? What about pureed as part of a soup? 

You can also work veges into meat dishes.

Onions and garlic are actually important veges.

You can grate carrots and put them into meatballs, sloppy joe, or spaghetti sauce and not really know they are there.

You can usually work some chopped spinach in as well without a change in texture or taste. 

• Like 2

They make portion control zip locks that are excellent for pre-measuring nuts and such, I love these! If you search "portion control" on Amazon, you will find tons of containers made for this purpose, some of which are sets of specific sized containers, and others which are actual portion control systems. 

Like this one, which is meant to portion out your protein, starches, veggies, nuts, etc: 
https://smile.amazon.com/Smart-Diet-Control-Leak-Proof-Multi-color/dp/B01DUYUQCE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1513095491&sr=8-4&keywords=portion+control+containers

When you are really struggling, these bags and containers may not be quite enough of a barrier; it is easier to open another plastic container than to open another completely sealed package (silly human psychology!). 

Interesting.  I eat a lot of carbs early in the day and mostly protein the rest of the day.  I really try to focus on protein when I'm hungry and looking for something to hold me until the next meal even though what I want is a big serving of carbs - crackers, cereal, etc.  

Honestly, that's the absolute worst way to do it for the vast majority of people (carbs in the morning). 

I lack whatever it is in the brain that tells you you're full so I can't stop like other people when they feel satisfied.   

Low carb has helped me with this immensely. I'm sorry if I speak with the fervor of the newly converted, lol, but almost every you say is very familiar to me: constant hunger, being unable to stop eating when full, food on the brain, waking up hungry, all the things. I went low carb on Labor Day, and all of these issues started calming down within days. I don't have the endless hunger, and I don't have the false signaling that I want to eat and eat even though I feel full. Food rarely 'call out' to me anymore, and it's really relaxing to not have intrusive food thoughts taking up space in my brain. 

I've lost weight on low carb, but it's definitely not only for that purpose. And a good low plan will start you off with quite low carbs, but will have you gradually adding them back in once you are past the issues above. You add them back one at a time so you can see what your trigger foods are (the ones that make you insane and insatiable). 

Oh, try to kick the gum habit! It can actually trigger hunger signals rather than quell them, and it fuels your desire for sweet things.  It doesn't matter if it's regular or sugar free. I used to chew an embarrassing amount per day in an effort to not eat, but now I usually only have gum or mints maybe every few days. 

The plus of low carb and eating veggies is that you can eat them with butter or cheese. Or both, lol. It's hard to hate vegetables that are in Alfredo sauce  :laugh:  

You can grate carrots and put them into meatballs, sloppy joe, or spaghetti sauce and not really know they are there.

Yep. You can find more ideas in books like Deceptively Delicious or The Sneaky Chef. Which are meant to get your kids to eat their veggies, but it works for adults just as well! 

• Like 2

They make portion control zip locks that are excellent for pre-measuring nuts and such, I love these! If you search "portion control" on Amazon, you will find tons of containers made for this purpose, some of which are sets of specific sized containers, and others which are actual portion control systems. 

When you are really struggling, these bags and containers may not be quite enough of a barrier; it is easier to open another plastic container than to open another completely sealed package (silly human psychology!). 

Honestly, that's the absolute worst way to do it for the vast majority of people (carbs in the morning). 

Low carb has helped me with this immensely. I'm sorry if I speak with the fervor of the newly converted, lol, but almost every you say is very familiar to me: constant hunger, being unable to stop eating when full, food on the brain, waking up hungry, all the things. I went low carb on Labor Day, and all of these issues started calming down within days. I don't have the endless hunger, and I don't have the false signaling that I want to eat and eat even though I feel full. Food rarely 'call out' to me anymore, and it's really relaxing to not have intrusive food thoughts taking up space in my brain. 

I've lost weight on low carb, but it's definitely not only for that purpose. And a good low plan will start you off with quite low carbs, but will have you gradually adding them back in once you are past the issues above. You add them back one at a time so you can see what your trigger foods are (the ones that make you insane and insatiable). 

Oh, try to kick the gum habit! It can actually trigger hunger signals rather than quell them, and it fuels your desire for sweet things.  It doesn't matter if it's regular or sugar free. I used to chew an embarrassing amount per day in an effort to not eat, but now I usually only have gum or mints maybe every few days. 

The plus of low carb and eating veggies is that you can eat them with butter or cheese. Or both, lol. It's hard to hate vegetables that are in Alfredo sauce  :laugh:  

The problem with any kind of portion control container (for me) is that, even if I don't overeat it today, I will keep eating a portion every day until the food is gone even though I'm not hungry.  So, if I open a package of something on a day I am hungrier than usual, then I will eat a portion today to satisfy that hunger, but then I will eat another portion tomorrow and then another the following day even though those are days I'm not hungrier than usual.  I will just want to keep eating that food until it's gone.  

I eat the carbs in the morning because that's when I get my workout done.  I suspect I'll need to go low carb at some point because my blood sugar has gone up in the past year to the prediabetic stage for some reason.  That's great that you are getting such great results on your low carb diet!  

With gum, I've read that it stimulates hunger, but I do feel that it keeps me from eating something.  After a meal I will have a piece of gum instead of reaching for something sweet.  Or, during the day, I will reach for a piece of gum when I just want something to taste or chew on and it definitely keeps me from eating.  I also drink way too much diet soda for the same reason - I absolutely need to cut back on that.

I forgot that I do like veggies when they are cooked with other flavors - like pot roast.  But only because they get so soft and pick up the flavor of the meat.  A lot like soup - I will eat veggies in soup, but I don't really like soup much. 

After a meal I will have a piece of gum instead of reaching for something sweet.  Or, during the day, I will reach for a piece of gum when I just want something to taste or chew on and it definitely keeps me from eating.  I also drink way too much diet soda for the same reason - I absolutely need to cut back on that.

I've been trying to do this with herb tea - it's working much better now that it's winter. :-) One particularly 'sweet' flavour is Bengal Spice. It was a great way for me to quit adding honey to my tea, and now I can drink all my favourite herb teas without sweetener. Yay!

• Like 3

Kassia, do you hate all veggies or just raw ones? I loathe almost all raw vegetables (I'll sorta kinda tolerate carrot sticks when I've got the munchies) but I can eat cooked ones just fine, and a vegetable soup is what I have a lot when I've got the munchies at home and want VOLUME. 

I've been trying to do this with herb tea - it's working much better now that it's winter. :-) One particularly 'sweet' flavour is Bengal Spice. It was a great way for me to quit adding honey to my tea, and now I can drink all my favourite herb teas without sweetener. Yay!

I do this with herbal tea, too!  I'll have to try the Bengal Spice to avoid using sweetener.  Right now I'm drinking Red Rose teas sweetened with Stevia.  They are wonderful!

Kassia, do you hate all veggies or just raw ones? I loathe almost all raw vegetables (I'll sorta kinda tolerate carrot sticks when I've got the munchies) but I can eat cooked ones just fine, and a vegetable soup is what I have a lot when I've got the munchies at home and want VOLUME. 

I don't mind most veggies if they are cooked.  Actually, I forgot that I do really like cooked green beans.  I should try them roasted.  DH won't let me cook broccoli in the house because he can't stand the smell.  I can eat raw carrots, but prefer them cooked.  I think that's the only raw veggie I like unless you count something like romaine lettuce.  Maybe if I bought the thinly sliced carrots in the bag I could snack on those.  

• Like 1

I eat the carbs in the morning because that's when I get my workout done.  

I have had zero issues not eating carbs close to my workout! I kept seeing articles stating that the carb thing is overstated for even very top athletes, and a myth for normal folks, so I quit relating my eating to my workouts. I've even done several fasted workouts (working out before eating anything), and I do find that harder but very doable. 

My first week or two on low carb, I did still overeat quantity-wise (but stayed within my carb limits). The urge to do that faded pretty fast, although I have definitely done it on occasion. 

I don't mind most veggies if they are cooked.  Actually, I forgot that I do really like cooked green beans.  I should try them roasted.  DH won't let me cook broccoli in the house because he can't stand the smell.  I can eat raw carrots, but prefer them cooked.  I think that's the only raw veggie I like unless you count something like romaine lettuce.  Maybe if I bought the thinly sliced carrots in the bag I could snack on those.  

Try getting bags of frozen veg so you can pop them into the steamer/roaster/microwave.

How about cauliflower, cooked, with chili powder? 

Roasted green beans, too. 

I do mashed carrots, too. Like mashed potatoes, but without added fat. Protein powder or skim -- they still get nice and creamy. I like to add hot Indian spices to those. 

I do tomato + cabbage soup, too. 

Cooked shredded red cabbage + apples is another good one. 

I tend to go for what's cheap but there are other good roasted ones, like asparagus, if you spend a bit more. 

• Like 1

I have had zero issues not eating carbs close to my workout! I kept seeing articles stating that the carb thing is overstated for even very top athletes, and a myth for normal folks, so I quit relating my eating to my workouts. I've even done several fasted workouts (working out before eating anything), and I do find that harder but very doable. 

My first week or two on low carb, I did still overeat quantity-wise (but stayed within my carb limits). The urge to do that faded pretty fast, although I have definitely done it on occasion. 

I agree about the importance of carb timing being overstated.  I do fasted workouts a few days a week due to how little time I have and hate doing them that way!  I have to try not to think about how hungry I am!  I definitely prefer to eat something before exercising.  

I forgot to mention a couple of things (if anyone is still reading this).

1.  A suffer from chronic insomnia, which I suspect may contribute to cravings.

2.  I rarely binge anymore, but the fear of binging is always there and I'm afraid to eat certain foods because I'm afraid they will trigger a binge.  

I am definitely not going to keep trigger foods in the house anymore even if they are a great deal.  Not sure what to do with what I have here.  If I were single, I'd toss them or donate them (except for the ice cream), but I don't think DH would be thrilled about me wasting so much money.  But, after this, no more of those foods that are triggers for me and no one else in the house eats.  

I forgot to mention a couple of things (if anyone is still reading this).

1.  A suffer from chronic insomnia, which I suspect may contribute to cravings.

2.  I rarely binge anymore, but the fear of binging is always there and I'm afraid to eat certain foods because I'm afraid they will trigger a binge.  

I am definitely not going to keep trigger foods in the house anymore even if they are a great deal.  Not sure what to do with what I have here.  If I were single, I'd toss them or donate them (except for the ice cream), but I don't think DH would be thrilled about me wasting so much money.  But, after this, no more of those foods that are triggers for me and no one else in the house eats.  

See, I don't understand this. You're saying these foods are unhealthy and no one else in the house eats them yet you won't toss them because then you wasted money? If you can eat them sensibly this last time, I can understand keeping them. But if they make you feel bad about yourself, is that really worth money?