Menu

s/o planning for 2018-2019

The other planning thread is mostly talking about online classes and such. Is anyone actually planning any classes with curriculum to do themselves at home? There is so much talk about online classes, DE, etc. on this board, sometimes I wonder if anyone is still taking the "old school" approach (of course, I know that's silly, there's probably lots - I just don't see much talk about it).

What homegrown courses (either your own invention or using curriculum) are you planning for next year?

• Like 3

Ill be doing all "school at home" with my younger DD next year.  She will be in 10th grade.  I won't start her on DE until 11th grade and our internet is horrible so at-home is pretty much our only option. 

She will be doing:

IEW Elegant Essay and Research Papers

Saxon Algebra II

Apologia Biology (or something else?)

US History (not sure of curriculum yet)

US Literature

Need at least one more elective?

DS will be 10th next year. DD will be technically 8th and will do Chemistry, English, and Czech with him. And AOPS math, probably Intermediate Algebra book, and Hakim for US History.

Dr. Wile’s Discovering Design with Chemistry, with labs

Teaching Textbooks- he is just finishing Algebra 2, then will start Geometry, then Pre- Calculus

US History using Bill Bennet’s Three books, plus a free Hillsdale class or two

English - homegrown

Foreign language - Czech (my language)

Music - his passion

Geography - Maptrek, 1/2 credit

Mythology - with National Mythology Exam

SAT prep

Edited by GeoKitty
  • Like 1

Dd#2 has asked to not take any online classes. Not sure what she'll do next year, but probably art, geometry (Holt or Jurgensen since I have ere both), Guest Hollow's Chemistry, Western Civ (Early Modern to Present), French 2, and ?? Some half credit electives: Photography? Creative Writing? Music History? Excavating English?

English will give me fits.

Edited by RootAnn

The other planning thread is mostly talking about online classes and such. Is anyone actually planning any classes with curriculum to do themselves at home? There is so much talk about online classes, DE, etc. on this board, sometimes I wonder if anyone is still taking the "old school" approach (of course, I know that's silly, there's probably lots - I just don't see much talk about it).

What homegrown courses (either your own invention or using curriculum) are you planning for next year?

I have done almost entirely homegrown high school courses for the past 4 yrs and will continue next yr.  Planning.....not going there now. (We just put a contract on a house.  So on top of homeschooling for this yr, we will be moving in about 3 weeks!!)

• Like 4

I'm not sure what exact curricula we'll use next year, but my 9th grade ds is using mostly tangible curricula this year:

Discovering Design with Chemistry by Wile (w/labs)
Foundations of European Lit (mom-made)
Writing With Skill 2
Warum Nicht (old-school radio program German class with printable worksheets. It's available on podcasts.) 
ACE Economics + Microeconomics (CLEP prep book) 
Intro to Engineering (mom-made)

The computer-based stuff: Teaching Textbooks Geometry, a free C++ programming course online, and a free C++ & AutoCAD class at the high school for his robotics team. 

Hopefully next year will be more of the same. Things are going really well so far this year and we're both happy with the choices. 

• Like 1

I use very few online classes. Usually one per kid per high school career. Usually writing. I'm kind of sad to think about next year all ready because my oldest daughter will be a senior.  I've sent three boys off, and that was hard enough, but thinking of my daughter leaving is too much!

This is just a rough sketch of next year. This will be my first and only year with 3 in high school (and 1 in 7th and 1 in 5th)

9th

Geometry: Jurgensen and maybe finish AoPS Introductory Algebra alongside. We are doing Foerster Alg 1 this year and will start AoPS if we finish early which I expect to do

Latin: Henle finish book 1 

Science: Biology  Shepherd Science

Literature : Ancients  WTM and other lists

History: Ancients I still have not found a great plan for this and this is the 3rd time around for me. I'll have to dig my notes out and see what we did

English: I'm not sure about this either. She is currently doing WWS 2 and won't finish it this year so we'll finish and go from there

Some elective

11th and 12th

Math: Precalculus   I used Foerster in the past;I think I want something different but I haven't started looking at options

Science: Physics   I "taught" this last time with regentrude's assignments for a text Knight maybe(I can't remember the author at the moment). It was tough going. We enjoyed it and that was with a super strong student. I'm not sure if I can make this a bit easier for these two kids or what I need to do. I don't want to go back to Wile because the 12th grader has to be taught anyway. If I'm teaching it to one I might as well teach them together.

history and Literature: see above. I do the same Lit and History with all high schoolers 

Non English Language: both girls have done two high school years of Latin and so they will do American Sign Language next year. I've got to find some advanced resources because they both are beyond a college ASL 2 course I'm guessing

11th 

English: Keep writing. Need a solid plan. I've done online classes in either junior or senior year but that has gotten more expensive and the quality has dropped. 

12th

English: The same I guess, though this child will do 12 hours at the CC second semester-a first for me, but this is kind of an extra semester for her and she needs the practice of doing college while she is still at home.

This was good for me to do, though a little overwhelming and sad.  

Thanks for starting the homegrown high school thread

Kendall

with only 8.5 years of homeschooling left, though my youngest has offered to be held back a year so that I can get that 30th year in:).  

All classes will be at home with my 12th grader next year.  We, tentatively, will be using

Mathusee Precalculus

Holt Physics

Abeka Vocab, Grammar and Composition, plus book selections primarily from American literature to correspond with US History

US History (Hakim?)

World Geography (home grown)

Economics (and Personal Finance with Dave Ramsey)

Office Computer Skills (Word and Excel for sure)

We are mostly home-based.  Dd will be in 10th grade next year and I will handle math, English, history, and electives.  Probably science too, but that is yet to be determined.  We will outsource foreign language but I don't know what or how exactly.  However, I am nowhere near starting to plan.  It is not super daunting as we will likely continue using AoPS for math (intermediate algebra....if geometry doesn't kill us both first) and will continue with my TWTM-style history/writing/lit.  I am not ready to plan science yet as I'm not entirely sure what dd will want to do next year.  Default is chemistry but I am not ready to even start thinking about that yet.  The only thing I am really thinking about is foreign language as dd is finishing up AP Latin this year and wants to move on to Spanish.  I don't speak Spanish nor do I know anyone who does so I am looking at online, DE, and local live options.  Electives will likely be home based but no idea what or how right now.  Frankly, I am just trying to get this year stabilized.  The very thought that I should be planning for next year makes me LOL.  I am a "super planner" to everyone I know but apparently not in this arena.  I am an engineering instructor at our local university and do not have spring semester under control yet so......

I plan on doing all our high school years at home, too. DE isn't an option where I live and the only online classes we do are for computer stuff, because I can't teach that, and it sort of makes sense to learn computers on a computer. :)

Next year I'll have two high schoolers:

11th:

Math of some sort - either MUS pre-calculus or a distance learning course from the province

Literature & Composition - homemade

Mr. Q Chemistry

Modern World History using Notgrass and R&S

Speech elective

Old Testament

Phys Ed

9th:

MUS Algebra 1

Lit & Comp - homemade

Easy Grammar Ultimate

Biology - not sure which yet

Modern World History same as older brother

Phys Ed

Maybe Computer Science

ETA: Stuff I forgot.

Edited by hollyhock

Does stuff with DVDs at home count? If so, DD will be doing MUS Algebra and Geometry (she should finish the first half of Algebra this year) and the One Year Adventure Novel. I'll plan her literature. Art is online, but not a live class. If we don't go with science at a friend's house (they're doing chemistry next year), I may do Oak Meadow biology at home. We're doing their Environmental Science this year, and Health in the spring.

I really like the content of Moving Beyond the Page, but getting DD to actually DO the work is a nightmare, so I'm considering outsourcing history and geography. She does better for other teachers than for me, I've found. :(

She usually spends an hour a day at home either on the trampoline or tumbling in the living room, in addition to the 8-10 hours per week she spends in actual gymnastics classes. I'm not sure if that counts, since it's entirely self-motivated, but I could probably count her home practice as PE and let the rest be extracurricular and she'd get a full credit.

• Like 1

I plan to do 9th grade myself, except for one class.

Math: AoPS Intro to Algebra (Algebra 2 section)

Science: Elemental Science Chemistry which uses CK-12 Intermediate Chemistry and some virtual labs

History: History Odyssey Level 2 Early Modern, with a Spielvogel text thrown in, I think

Literature: Excellence in Literature Intro to Literature

Grammar: Jensen's Grammar

Foreign Language: Avancemos Spanish

Elective: AP Computer Science (Edhesive course)

Later in high school we'll have the option for DE. I think we can get free CC classes via a DE scholarship program starting in 10th grade. I'll likely utilize DE more in 11th and 12th when my son can drive. The CC is about 25 minutes away.

Yeah, I was kinda shocked when I read that thread - no offense to the peeps who outsource, but things have really changed over the last few years.

I posted this in the other thread.  We don't outsource unless there's a class at the homeschool enrichment center they want to take, but that ends up being extra, not part of my plans.

11th grader and 10th grader combined:

Biblioplan Early Modern History or TWTM History/Literature (can't decide)

New Oxford Guide to Writing/Rulebook for Arguments 

continue with German (Ugh!)

PE (which, strangely, has been an enormous hit this year)

11th grader on own:

Mr. Q Chemistry + one of the super expensive intro to chemistry kits from HST

continue Visual Latin/Lingua Latina

Saxon Advanced Mathematics

Rosetta Stone Hebrew (yeah, she just asked to do this for fun   :001_rolleyes:  ) + something to learn reading/writing (not sure yet)

Probably need to start thinking about the ACT

10th grader on own:

Guesthollow Biology

Intro to Robotics - going to use Lego Mindstorms + some of the project books you work through

MUS Geometry

This will be my last year with only 2 high schoolers.  After that, it will be 3.

• Like 1

Each kid is different.

I have one who does much better with outsourced classes. I have one who prefers at home classes.

One involves me finding good fit classes & getting her in them with the schedule working out.

The other involves hours of picking resources & very roughly scheduling them out (so she's got a 1/2 credit or 1 credit of work & I'm not overtaxing her or undershooting). That takes place in the summer, usually. I think the at-home kid will eventually pick most of her own resources for electives. For now, she picks the topic & I find the resources. (I'll actually be looking at this over Christmas break as she'll have time for a 1/2 credit elective in the spring. She's kicking around options now.)

• Like 1

I admire you guys too! So far, we're high school outsourcers too.

We homeschooled 'old school' everything from K-8 (except 1 math class beyond my capabilities in 8th). Then once we hit 9th grade, at least for my oldest boy, it became clear outsourcing was the way to go. Which was never really the plan, but ended up working for us. It was two-fold for him:

1. He adheres to outside accountability. It was too much nagging/arguing to get him to get anything done for me.

2. Being UC-hopefuls, we need to fulfill a-g requirements by multiple SAT IIs and AP exams - which personally for me - is easier to outsource those subjects to ensure full comprehension of said subject.

Next dd in line does not like outsourcing nearly as much, so we're going to try to do more at home. But with many littles still fully homeschooling the 'old school' way, it's just nice to also to be able to focus on the youngers and know the olders are getting so much from their outside classes, requiring less effort/time from me.

• Like 2

Evanthe, I'm glad to see you are also thinking about doing Mr. Q Chem next year. I'll know who to ask if we run into trouble! :D

I hope it works out!  She really liked the samples.  But, I've never used any of the Mr. Q stuff before.  I guess we'll have to try it and see.

Next year will be our first HS year. We've done everything at home so far and had planned to continue but after some contemplation (about how ds works for others) I'm considering doing Science online. We work really well together but my knowledge base is only so deep. I've also seen him really shine in some outside classes for Boy Scouts but I have to consider cost and making sure he is ready and the fit is good (too hard and he'll shut down). I expect he'll end up with Math outsourced at some point as he can only derive so much from books and videos but we'll see how my brain holds up and what I can remember. I think I can handle through next year, it is after that that I'm a little nervous.

I've also been on the fence as to what grade he is as he is on the cut-off, he wants to be in the older grade but is ADHD w/ all that entails and some traits of dyslexia. He's come a long, long way however and is a good worker. He prefers to work with me and loves books. Considering everything I'm trying to make sure I don't overload him. I'm hoping to focus on the majors and EF/study skills and let the extras come from interests.

Anyway, my very tentative plan has been:

Math - Algebra 2 - VideoText- assuming it continues to work

Science- Conceptual Physics Hewitt w/ supplements from Guest Hollow Physics and online videos that accompany the text

History- I've got no idea- it is too early to pin him down yet. This year he's studying Japanese History, no telling what he'll want to do next

Foreign Language- Spanish I think- I've not nailed this down either

LA:

Writing- Writing with Skill 2

Grammar- Grammar Revolution Advanced- if he doesn't finish it this year, we're nearly through Grammar Rev. and starting the Adv. book soon- we'll see how he does

Literature- Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings- maybe??? he's seems interested in this but we may end up going a totally different route it's too early to tell

Spelling- Yes, he still needs it, we'll be continuing with Megawords, we should hopefully be in book 5 by then (or at least 4)

Electives

PE at home we might do summer swim team or rec. track too 

Art- home-made hodge podge- visiting museums, art appreciation as a family and drawing, some Sister Wendy movies

Philosophy or Logic- He's interested in both of these so we might do one as an elective.

He's starting to build a computer - we might end up with some elective with that.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

He's starting to build a computer - we might end up with some elective with that.

Yeah, we are totally giving high school credit for that!  Ds14 is building a computer, too.  I think I am calling it Desktop Computer Design for 1 credit.  I started a thread about it earlier this year, looking for advice.  He'll be finished this winter.  We had to stop and wait to be able to buy more parts.  He's thinking about using a dual platform - Linux and Windows.  So, just learning how to use Linux would almost be another course, too.

• Like 1

Yeah, we are totally giving high school credit for that!  Ds14 is building a computer, too.  I think I am calling it Desktop Computer Design for 1 credit.  I started a thread about it earlier this year, looking for advice.  He'll be finished this winter.  We had to stop and wait to be able to buy more parts.  He's thinking about using a dual platform - Linux and Windows.  So, just learning how to use Linux would almost be another course, too.

I'll have to search that out. I'm sure he's will end up dual platform too, dh is a big Linux fan, our desktop used to be only Linux. 

Edited by soror

So I will have two high schoolers next year. My 9th grader will do all at home, and I am considering having my 11th grader do one online AP class next year for the first time.  I don't know all of the details of everything, but most things just kind of are do the next thing, so in general:

11th grader will: 

AP latin w/MP if I decide to go for it. If not, we will continue w/Henle III and IV and study for the NLEs as usual. 

math: we are using Mr. D's with just the videos, no online communicative aspect. So far so good, so she will do that for Alg. 2 next year. 

English/Lit: R&S 9/10 and editing worksheets grammar, WTM style Great Books for lit.

history/lit: WTM Great Books. Will be in the History of the Renaissance World next year. 

Rhetoric: We didn't get to this this year, so hoping I can get it in next year: the Workbook of Arguments

Science: We may end up taking a year off of science. She already has 3 lab sciences since she did biology in 8th, and her math isn't ready for physics. Or we may do an easy elective year of earth science or astronomy. But her load is pretty full if we do the AP class. I think it depends on if I go for that.  

9th grader all at home: 

Latin I: Fourth Form 

math: preAlgebra, don't know which yet. It is just where she is. I can't push her up for something she isn't ready for. 

English: Rod and Staff and WTM great books

history/lit: WTM Great Books. She will do the same as her sister, History of the Renaissance World. 

Science: I don't know yet. We usually do this with another family at co-op, and I need to discuss with her. Her younger isn't high school yet. I don't know if she wants to start biology early so that my dd gets it in, or if we want to do a year of Physical science, which still leaves my dd plenty of time to get her 3 lab sciences in. I am ok either way. Jumping to what the other mom expects in terms of weekly output and my dd's dyslexia, the gentler the better here.

extras: we usually do art at co-op and at home and do lots of art readings and occasional field trips and outside classes in the community and projects for scouts and other places. We are working at sewing a bit at a time. My older dd usually does the newsletter at co-op which I list as an extra curricular for her. Both dance up to 8 hrs a week which we may need to cut down for 11th grader next year, and both are in scouts though we step back in high school.  For the art and home ec stuffs, my goal is to accumulate enough hours and projects for a credit over the course of 4 years.

We don't have DE or co-ops as an option where we live, and our internet isn't such that would support online classes (which we couldn't afford anyway). We've always done homegrown courses or curriculum for their studies. It's what works best for our family. I absolutely love homeschooling my kids, and the benefits and blessings of having them here and being involved in their learning (even through high school), has been amazing. ;)

We use a lot of Heart of Dakota, though we don't do everything listed in the guides. We pick and choose the parts (subjects) that work for us, and for each student it looks different. We also use Analytical Grammar (& JAG), Writing & Rhetoric, Math U See, Singapore, Teaching Textbooks, IEW writing intensives, CLE Language Arts, and many others for different kids at different times.

As we prepare to graduate our oldest this year, we're pleased with the path we've taken and plan on doing the same for the next four. ;)

I know outsourcing, dual enrollment, and online courses work beautifully for a lot of people, but it's just never been an option here. It can work without those options, and I believe there are a lot of families out there doing just that. I'm just thankful there are so many quality choices for families to choose from in educating their kids in the method that works best for them. :D

We'll be doing 10/11th grade for my youngest and last student. 90% of her work will be at home with only violin and possibly a foreign language class or science outside of the home.

I know so far we will be doing:

American History

American Literature

Music

Art

Math (algebra)

Science (not sure)

Korean (at home) or Japanese (if the co-op offers it)

• Like 1

I posted in the other thread, but I'll re-post here because we've never used outside classes for academics. Everyone local also seems to use local classes and online classes quite heavily in middle and high school. I've just accepted our anomalous approach.

I'll officially doing high school (9th) for the first time next year, but she's really doing 3 high school level courses this year.

For sure, we will be doing:

- Geometry with Derek Owens (we're having a great AoPS algebra year but I think it's our last AoPS year) -- not a live class so I don't really consider it an "online" class.

- Spanish 2 (with me using Santillana Española and customized Spanish Homeschool Academy for additional conversational practice and heritage culture) -- (the conversational practice would be 1:1 online)

- Latin American history (which I'm designing and teaching)

Likely 

- Environmental Science using Oak Meadow (I'm teaching)

- Oak Meadow Health (I'm teaching)

- Oak Meadow Geography (I'm teaching)

- Latin American literature to correspond with history (which I'm designing and teaching)

- Writing (possibly with Brave Writer classes but they're not live either)

Edited by deerforest

We use some online resources but primarily homegrown stuff.

9th grade DD

EE and reading list to go with America Lit

Finish Video Text Algebra

Apologia Biology

USH with DS using Great Courses and American Odyssey text and CT in USH

Visual Link Spanish

Argument Builder

Semester elective TBD

Piano

Daily fitness for PE

11th grade DS

WttW with American lit reading list

Finish Video Text Geometry and start Chalkdust Precalc

Apologia Physics

USH with DD - see above

Destinos

Elective TBD

Piano and guitar

Daily fitness for PE

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Ds hasn't had online or dual enrollment classes yet, but he has co-op classes that aren't exactly "outsourced". I still give all the grades. Dd didn't do dual enrollment until her senior year, so her high school classes were mostly here at home with me. 

I think I would like one outsourced or online class during the next year or two to get him used to grades/accountability to someone else before it really counts for college. 

I'll teach him everything unless I find a course such as that. Our co-op just meets every other week, so I still do most all of the teaching in those subjects. 

As far as homegrown subjects, I may offer to teach a physics class at co-op next year. We usually have to combine several aged kids, so I may put together my own syllabus, reading plan, and pull projects from multiple sources. I'll get a lot of ideas from the high school physics thread on here. 

Edited by mom31257

Probably

Vocabulit- whatever the 11th/12th grade book is called. K maybe?

Ancient Literature and Mythology used Bedford, Rosenberg and some GC lectures or Roman Roads Greeks

History of the Ancient World with Study Guide

World of Chem/ Lab with friends

AoPS Algebra 2 part of Intro Book with Larson or Holt Algebra 2. I have both.

Maybe Henle Year 2.

Language Village, I think. French 3-ish. We always add resources.

We're tracking fine art and health as we go. Once we've done enough hours, I'll assign credit.

Dd is shadowing at a high school today, which would be 100% outsourced for next year.

Edited by MamaSprout

My older (2e) guy flat-out refuses to do any outside or online classes.  The kid just loves a good textbook.  And not having to interact with other people.

After some trial and error this year, we have settled on a pretty decent (albeit not too challenging) plan for him.  Working mainly on keeping his anxiety at a manageable level.

9th grade (this year)

Saxon Algebra 2

World History using Holt Patterns of Interaction text.  I print out lesson quizzes and chapter tests from the online teacher resource.

Friendly Chemistry

WWS1 (we tried it in 7th grade and he just could not handle it.)

Finishing up Hake Grammar 8 

James Madison Critical Thinking

AGS World Literature Text (just got this) + other reading we do together

He is also playing around with DuoLingo

10th grade

finish Saxon Algebra 2, I guess start Saxon Advanced Math if he is ready

World Geography (either Paradigm Accelerated, or the Holt Text)

Biology or Environmental Science  (Oak Meadow maybe?)

Foreign Language TBD, considering MIddlebury Interactive

Looking at the textwords book for lit

If we get through WWS1, we will move to WWS2

Economics (considering Paradigm Accelerated)