Menu

If your DC commutes to the university...

quark

I.e. does not live in the dorms but lives at home or at a relative's/ rented place...

I would love ideas on what they do to lighten the load of books/ stuff they have to carry in everyday -- do they use a laptop for everything for example?

For personal reasons and as he's 14, we've decided that DS will be best served living with me while he starts full time university, taking it a semester at a time to see what's ideal. Our commute will on most days be within an hour one way of the campus. Or he might take a bus/ train in.

Right now, for my almost fully DE student, we live 20 mins away from the CC and within an hour away from the uni but DS can come home most of the time to change/ refresh needed books in his bag and so on. So for now, we are very traditional with the whole shebang of paper-based stuff...he carries everything that he can right now, heavy books, binders, water bottle, jacket etc but only for 1-2 classes. And we keep some stuff in the car too. When he starts uni full time in fall, he will have to take everything with him. Probably will stay on campus for hours at a time. I don't believe the uni has lockers but we can ask. Physical load could be an issue if he has more than 1-2 classes a day.

I'd love digital solutions too. Thanks for any ideas you might have!

• Like 1

A number of textbooks are available loose leaf, so you can choose to carry only a couple chapters at a time.

Both kids feel they interact better with text on paper than on a screen.

Both my DDs have backpacks with back support. DD#1 has back issues and actually uses one for backpack camping, fitted at REI by a yoga instructor. DD#2's isn't quite at that level but still has a support panel in the back.

Some classes do have lockers. DD#1 had access to lockers when taking art (for portfolio and supplies) and drama (for costumes).

• Like 2

Hiking backpack. Maybe try at REI or Dick's Sporting Goods for fit. That campus is not easy to use a roller bag on. We find it a cardio workout when we go there but we are pretty sedentary people.

Many are using their laptops at the dining hall and library at the university campuses near me. Same thing when we were at calpoly. If you are getting a new laptop, then the lightest one with the smallest possible screen would be convenient. My kids can survive on 12" screen laptops even if they prefer 15" screen ones.

The commuter university my kids like have lockers.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

I'd check with the school. Some schools have space for off campus students to study, lounge, and store stuff. If the school has an off campus student spot/house/whatever, he can start his day there and just carry one class worth of stuff and stop by between classes.

Also some schools rent tiny study carrols in the library. My university had them, but they were limited to seniors and grad students. They were like little broom closets. They locked and had a desk. That would another place to try.

• Like 1

My school does not have lockers for most students. We do have a copious number of computer labs, so most students only bring tablets or small 11-13 computers. Ds has math and science courses and right now the math class does not use a textbook. He carries a messenger bag (larger size) and it does well enough for him. 

I carry a 26L backpack and only take my 13 in computer in two days a week. One those days I rarely need more than that and a notebook. 

I use a plastic folder for each class and only take what is necessary. I've also been known to cut up textbooks, so I don't have to carry the entire book with me at once. 

• Like 1

Many of the students at my CC (where I work) use small rolling luggage.

I also encourage the students with loose leaf books to carry only the chapters they need, and include the glossary and index.

For example, the text for Anatomy and Physiology is used for both lecture and lab. There are only 2 exams for lab, so I tell them to keep all the chapters  for the lab exam they are studying, plus extra if they need it.

Best wishes

• Like 1

I thought the school offers lockers for commuters at the gym. I remember hearing about it. And I believe it's first come, first serve, so get that application in asap.

ETA: not sure if the school still offers it since it's been a few years since I last heard about it.

Edited by crazyforlatin
  • Like 1

I would check for a locker for commuter student, but this can be problematical because you can wind up leaving stuff at school that you need at home that night. I would encourage not leaving any textbooks or notebooks there overnight.

My youngest takes what textbooks he knows he will need for the day with him but has an ipad with all his txtbooks on it with him in case he needs something else. He uses a binder rather than spiral notebooks (with graphpaper pads) so he can keep them light. He doesn't carry a laptop usually because his school has lots everywhere for student use. His laptop is big enough to manage graphic stuff comfortably.

If I were starting as a student now, I would take the time to figure out how to use electronic paper of some sort - a tablet and stylus and virtual notebooks. My three have never had university prof's who minded being recorded, as far as I know, so I would like a system which combined notes with a recording, one where you can access a part of the recording by going to that part of your notes. My youngest had a smart pen that did that when he first began college. It gave him confidence. His current college records most lectures and makes them available, and he is better at notetaking now, so he hasn't needed to use that system for a few years now. He likes to listen to lectures sped up grin.

Nan

• Like 1

A common situation, I believe.  DD just started this semester commuting to a large public university.  The campus is very large with steep hills/stairs. She is in computer science and has been using the required laptop heavily every day.  She has a 15" laptop which is bigger/heavier than she wants to carry but comes in handy while programming.  She has a large student backpack with comfortable straps.  She also carries a packed lunch daily in a separate bag and her purse.  It's a lot.

Here's a few things that make it slightly easier:

1. She does drive in so she leaves any textbooks that she doesn't need that day in the car.  If she ends up needing them, she can retrieve them, and if left in the car, they will be available when she studies at home.  This works better than a locker where it may be left when needed at home.  Parking is not very close and she doesn't like walking back and forth, so she tries to carry everything she thinks she may need for the full day.

2. She prefers using paper textbooks but one class only came with an electronic text.  This does help relieve the weight of an additional textbook and ensures she can access it at any time.

3. Her real score was her strategy during registration for courses.  She had a map of campus and tried to schedule the location of her courses in as small an area of campus as possible.  Three of her courses are in the same building!  Only one section of Introduction to Psychology was offered in that engineering building so she was sure to work that particular section into her schedule. The fourth course is a manageable walk away.  She still has to walk quite a distance when she needs to go to other campus locations like the student union, etc., but those are not on a daily basis.

Best of luck to your son!

• Like 1

This year, my S has a 20 minute commute by van to his campus.  He carries his laptop and the textbooks he needs for the entire day in his backpack.  Even last year, when he lived in a dorm on campus, he still carried the same amount of stuff around with him every day as he didn't have time to go back to his dorm between classes to retrieve more items.

• Like 1

It may not be as bad as you think.  Aren't college classes scheduled MWF and TTh?  He may only need to bring in a few books at a time.   Also, some departments may allow your student some office space.  Or if he befriends an on campus student he could just start leaving his stuff in a corner of the dorm lounge.  

I learned a few years ago that you can take books to the back of the office supply store and for a few bucks they can cut off the binding and even 3 hole punch the pages for you.  Then just bring the chapters you intend to use.  (My DH used to do something similar...if he was reading a thick paperback, he'd periodically rip out the pages he'd already read to save packing space.)  

• Like 2

Before altering books, check any online codes that come with them. Often, they come with the e-book version of the textbook. Not as ideal for working from, but nice for portability, especially if you have to bring a laptop anyway.

If your DS takes music classes, he can probably get a locker there, even if he doesn't technically need it for an instrument. I also did a lot of studying in grad school in my practice room, so I'd book my practice room for, say, 20 hours a week between classes. I did practice some of that time (and on my keyboard in my apartment) , but it was also a quiet, well soundproofed place to read and study. Since usually only a few of us shared one, we also often kept a milk crate of stuff there.

• Like 2

I used to have to take everything with me each day on a bike.  I had an oversized backpack with a clipboard and loose leaf paper, a three ring binder for notes and things, and all of my books (I was a science major, so there were usually several heavy texts).  I bought my lunch or just didn't eat.  I don't remember it being a problem to carry that stuff around.

• Like 1

Dd has her textbooks in print and online. She uses the online version on campus, on her ipad. She uses the print texts at home for study, because she actually prefers print.

Oh, and she has a really good backpack that is ergonomic etc. Not the most fashionable but not ugly...my dad chose it for her, and did a lot of research re comfort, and honestly, she couldn't manage without it.

Could you specify what type of backpack it was, or what brand, or link to a picture?  

• Like 1

DS lives at home and commutes, but only about 15-30, depending on the time of day. A regular backpack has been just fine for him. He has eBooks for math, physics, and economics, and physical textbooks only for literature and business communications. Frankly he rarely brings his textbooks to class anyway. He mostly uses his phone to check assignments and email.

Next fall he'll be commuting much further and probably will catch the college bus in a neighboring county. He's planning to get  locker at the gym that's closest to the building where his classes will be. And we're already figuring that it is time for a laptop. He eats so much that we'll probably get a limited meal plan. I don't know how I could possibly pack a lunch big enough that wouldn't weigh him down with another bag.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone. So sorry I have not been checking back...it's been such a crazy weekend as I navigate some personal stuff.

You guys brought up a really good point about meals too. Yes, I intend to pack them as often as possible. And kiddo has an existing shoulder condition that makes putting weight on them painful for prolonged periods. We have used a rolling back pack before but the bumping of wheels and uphill/ downhill nature of the campus might make it more of a pain than a help. We are going to scout out lockers/ lockable spaces. Will buy him a smaller laptop for digital materials and we are seriously considering moving much closer to campus too.

daijobu brought up a good thought about the MWF and TTh schedule. This semester, DS is DEing at said university and the main reference texts are the prof's pdf notes and another author's pdf too! If all the math profs do that DS is quite set! :laugh: Music and any other courses will be different of course.

Thank you all again. I really appreciate all the resources you have mentioned. Will check out the backpack recommendations. Always good to have back up plans!

• Like 2

Here :)

"Commuter Lockers: Lockers for commuter students are available! Applications are available for commuter lockers in Hearst Gym (located on the south side of campus near Bancroft and Bowditch) on an ongoing basis. You can find the application here. E-mail completed applications and questions to commuter@berkeley.edu." https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~commuter/

I have sloping shoulders so I prefer laptop backpacks with the chest and waist straps, and use the backpack for hiking too.

• Like 1

You have had a lot of good suggestions but I have couple to add.

We live 1.5 miles from CC and my girls are responsible for getting themselves there either on foot, by bike, or on the bus. My oldest has taken to copying her math problem sets and answers due to the fact that her math text book is so heavy. When necessary, she will check a text book that she doesn't have with her out of the library. If her backpack is especially heavy, she will wait to fill her water bottle until she gets to school.

• Like 1

My oldest started attending the community college full-time at 14, and she used a rolling backpack. My husband would drop her off on his way to work, so she took everything she could possibly need during the day, including her laptop, books and binders. It got easier once she could drive, since she'd keep her books in her car and just go back and forth to the parking lot during the day as needed. 

#2 could drive by the time she started full-time college classes at 16, so she used the trunk of her car as a locker to store stuff during the day.

• Like 1