Menu

Thick non-clingy T-shirts?????

DawnM

I found a great Tee at the thrift store.  I know it is the "old" style.   A nice, solid, well made, thicker material, non-clingy, and comfortable V-neck Tee.  One you can dress up or dress down depending on the occasion.

The only things I can find are thin, clingy, MUCH lower cut Tees.  If I bend a certain way I have way too much showing!  I hate them!  They also cling, even when bought in a larger size, and show every muffin top I have and more.

Is there ANYONE who still makes the older, more flattering, more modest, and definitely more comfortable type of Tee?

I can't find them.  

Caveat:  I hate shopping, hate running around from store to store, so a casual, "Oh, have you tried X store, they MAY have them" isn't what I am looking for.  I am not trying to be rude.  I just seriously hate shopping and don't have time to go from store to store looking (I work full time.)

If you know a place or have seen them for sure at a place, please let me know!  

I found a great Tee at the thrift store.  I know it is the "old" style.   A nice, solid, well made, thicker material, non-clingy, and comfortable V-neck Tee.  One you can dress up or dress down depending on the occasion.

Look at Duluth Longtail T-Shirts. I've been pleased with the shirts I got from them.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/workwear/longtail-t-shirts/longer-shirts.aspx?feature=MNA7

• Like 5

In all sincerity, my best bet for that type of t-shirt is to go to Walmart and look in the men's section for their colored t-shirts. Usually near the socks & underwear; not necessarily the ones that come 5 to a pack, but my Walmart had several (I think Hane's, but maybe a different brand...) in a folded t-shirt display section (a wall of floor to ceiling bins, with folded t-shirts), and a TON of color variety. I got bright pink, a pretty blue, a lovely charcoal gray, maybe a few others. I need to go get a few more soon, and my Walmart had them in scoop neck or v-neck, pocket on the front or no pocket. 

Hope that helps; it's ridiculously hard to find t-shirts for women that aren't as you describe, thin, clingy, and low cut. 

• Like 3

Look at Duluth Longtail T-Shirts. I've been pleased with the shirts I got from them.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/workwear/longtail-t-shirts/longer-shirts.aspx?feature=MNA7

Smacks head.  I don't know how I forgot Duloth when giving my Gilden advice since the majority of my tank tops came from them.  Love my longtail shirts.

Although there is a definite difference in quality from my older ones to the newer ones I purchased they are still better then the ones in the store.

In all sincerity, my best bet for that type of t-shirt is to go to Walmart and look in the men's section for their colored t-shirts. Usually near the socks & underwear; not necessarily the ones that come 5 to a pack, but my Walmart had several (I think Hane's, but maybe a different brand...) in a folded t-shirt display section (a wall of floor to ceiling bins, with folded t-shirts), and a TON of color variety. I got bright pink, a pretty blue, a lovely charcoal gray, maybe a few others. I need to go get a few more soon, and my Walmart had them in scoop neck or v-neck, pocket on the front or no pocket. 

Hope that helps; it's ridiculously hard to find t-shirts for women that aren't as you describe, thin, clingy, and low cut.

This is what I was going to suggest as well. My boys recently needed black tee shirts for an event, and I bought some for $4 or $5 at Walmart. I was surprised how thick and nice they were. The ones I bought were at the back of the men's department and came in many different colors. I bought some other shirts the same day, and none of them had the nice thickness of the 100% cotton men's tees at the back of the Walmart men's department. The ones I bought had rounded necks -- I did not look for V necks, but I imagine there would be some. You could always call first to save the running around. I can find out the brand name of the ones I got if you would like to know.

Edited by Serenade

I am not sure if they still make them but I love St. John's Bay shirts from JCP. Thick, flattering, non-clingy and last for years. I see them in thrift stores all the time. I wear them for everyday/casual but also look nice enough to dress up with a jacket and jewelry. Wish they were a tad longer though. 

Edited to add link. These are v-neck but they likely have regular crew as well. 

http://www.jcpenney.com/st-johns-bay-short-sleeve-v-neck-tee/prod.jump?ppId=pp5006490003&N=508%204294965755&searchTerm=st.+johns+bay&N=508%204294965755&catId=SearchResults&_dyncharset=UTF-8&colorizedImg=DP0120201603532569M.TIF

Edited by magnificent_baby
  • Like 4

I don't look good in men's shirts. I want very little ribbing. Or are you talking about men's undershirts?

I think she means the undershirts. They might work depending on body shape but they don't last very long since they're undershirts.

They also might have tighter crewnecks than you want.

Edited by 8circles

I just bought several shirts from Walmart. Faded glory brand. They are a bit thin, but not see through. I don't have to wear a camisole underneath. 97% cotton 3% spandex, so a bit clingy. I love them, though I'm sure they won't last a very long time. I hate polyester clothing, so I was really happy to find these, they have scoop neck (not low at all) and v-neck.

• Like 1

I am not sure if they still make them but I love St. John's Bay shirts from JCP. Thick, flattering, non-clingy and last for years. I see them in thrift stores all the time. I wear them for everyday/casual but also look nice enough to dress up with a jacket and jewelry. Wish they were a tad longer though. 

These are my staple tees.  Last year's shrank WAY too much in length; I haven't had that problem with the same style tees before or since.

• Like 2

Costco has some in summer.  I'm not sure I like the way they are cut, but IIRC, they are thick-ish, v-neck, not low, not clingy.  (ETA, I think they are Kirkland brand.  I haven't looked for them so I don't know if they have them right now.  I don't see them on the website, though that doesn't mean much.)

If you're looking to dress them up, I'd look at LL Bean.  I don't remember what the neck trim is like on the costco ones.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

The cheap plain t-shirts at fabric/craft stores are thick and durable, but I'm not sure you could dress them up. They look like the t-shirts I wore in the 80s as a kid, not like a layering shirt or something you'd wear with a scarf or a cardigan. 

This made me smile because I have a nephew that lived in the t-shirts that Hobby Lobby sells for crafting.  He had every color and wore them everyday through high school replacing them as needed.  His mom and dad loved the low cost!  They even had them all hung up at his graduation party he was so known for his minimal wardrobe.

• Like 4

I'll second the recommendation for Gildan tees.  I got some on clearance in the Walmart crafts section and liked them so much that I ended up buying a bunch more from Amazon.  The cotton is nice and thick, the fit is comfortable and not too snug, and they come in a wide variety of pretty colors.  Plus, they are very reasonably priced.

• Like 1

I don't look good in men's shirts. I want very little ribbing. Or are you talking about men's undershirts?

Something between. The ones I bought have zero ribbing and just look like a cotton t-shirt, nice and smooth, but they are not the ones packaged as "undershirts" either. Let me grab one and post the info from the tag and maybe a picture. Brb.

• Like 1

I just bought several shirts from Walmart. Faded glory brand. They are a bit thin, but not see through. I don't have to wear a camisole underneath. 97% cotton 3% spandex, so a bit clingy. I love them, though I'm sure they won't last a very long time. I hate polyester clothing, so I was really happy to find these, they have scoop neck (not low at all) and v-neck.

I have a couple of those. They are the ones I don't like. I am overweight. These cling to every single roll on my body.