Menu

I'm torn.

Truscifi

Babyman, who is 3 now so really not a baby, snuck into our room while his brother was supposed to be watching him this evening. He got one of his Christmas presents, a small bag of real tools made for kids. He then took a drawer from his under bed storage and took it apart. All the way. He unscrewed all the screws and put them in a little pile. I don't know what else he would have done, because that's when we caught him. 

We took the tools and put them away, and scolded him for going in our room without permission. Dh put the drawer back together. We talked to his brother about better caretaking and basically told him he's not ready for babysitting duty.

But honestly, I can't decide whether I'm more aggravated that he got into a present early or impressed that he managed to fully dismantle the drawer without damaging it at 3 years old. 

Do you think it's too late to rethink the tools as a gift?

• Like 6

lol, I'd be rethinking it!!!

Ok, I wouldn't be rethinking it, but I WOULD be making sure I had some wood, nails, and old furniture outside, and make clear the rule that the tools only get used on things outside.

Otherwise, you'll wake up one morning to a pile of wood, and no tables or chairs.

• Like 17

Since he has already discovered and demonstrated how well he can use them, then I would say it is too late. He will be bugging you the whole month to use the tools. However, if you do let him have them now, they should be put out of arms reach and brought out when asked, otherwise it sounds like you'll be discovering dismantled items wherever he goes. He is one smart cookie.

• Like 3

Well, I may not be the best person to ask. But...I'd just make the tools a gift from DH and myself (versus being from Santa). As for taking things apart, isn't that one of the purposes of the tools? How as he to know any better if he hasn't had such things before?

Disclaimer: All our kids (currently 5, 3, and 2 yo) have access to tools. In fact, we have a couple tree stumps we brought into the house solely for them to practice hammering nails, using screws and drills, etc...We have laid down rules about things it's okay to use their tools on and things it's not. When things go awry, the tools go away for a while.

When my mom's rug shampooer died recently, she gave it to our kids. They were so excited to attack that thing with their tools.

• Like 3

LOL!  I'd keep them in a special box for him, and use them for a supervised toy until he is old enough to use them responsibly.  With that kind of talent, by the time he is 9 or 10, he will be your go-to person for assembling and disassembling furniture for moving.  My 10 year old is miles better at this sort of thing than his dad--what takes my hubby hours takes my son minutes.  Some kids just have an affinity for tools and knowing what to do.   

• Like 3

Ok, I wouldn't be rethinking it, but I WOULD be making sure I had some wood, nails, and old furniture outside, and make clear the rule that the tools only get used on things outside.

Otherwise, you'll wake up one morning to a pile of wood, and no tables or chairs.

That is brilliant. I will definitely hit the thrift stores and find him an old dresser or something he can work on.

We put them up until Christmas, but we told him they are for him so he knows he'll get them soon. 

• Like 1

Well, I may not be the best person to ask. But...I'd just make the tools a gift from DH and myself (versus being from Santa). As for taking things apart, isn't that one of the purposes of the tools? How as he to know any better if he hasn't had such things before?

Disclaimer: All our kids (currently 5, 3, and 2 yo) have access to tools. In fact, we have a couple tree stumps we brought into the house solely for them to practice hammering nails, using screws and drills, etc...We have laid down rules about things it's okay to use their tools on and things it's not. When things go awry, the tools go away for a while.

When my mom's rug shampooer died recently, she gave it to our kids. They were so excited to attack that thing with their tools.

This tree-stump idea is brilliant! 

• Like 1

I never give a gift that will require direct supervision to avoid disaster.  Yes, I'd rethink the tools and put them away for another year.  I'd wait until impulse control is better (3 is usually the age where kids start cutting things randomly, too) and offer plenty of opportunities throughout the year to work with tools under someone else's control and supervision, like the Build & Grow clinics.

• Like 1

<3 this.

I'd have a hard time not grinning at the kiddo in admiration. :D

• Like 2

Find a local thrift store to get broken donations of small appliances.

DS8 went through a BIG screwdriver phase. My favorite was the day I opened the bathroom door and it fell on me - he'd taken all of the screws out of the hinges!

I tend to think as long as kids have a direction for their exploration, they're happy to keep it contained. 

• Like 2

I just hope you don't have a bunk bed anywhere in the house.

The kids' IKEA half-high bed once collapsed (Broccoli sleeps on slats under the bed, Celery on top - luckily this happened during the day and no one was harmed). So, for a moment, we thought "what on earth what a piece of crap". Until we noticed the missing bolts. We found a huge pile of bolts in the kids' closet... they'd taken out more than half of them. No wonder the bed collapsed. And they didn't use any tools to do it either. :(

It's definitely time to start regularly inspecting furniture that might collapse, whether you give him the tools or not.

• Like 3

I just hope you don't have a bunk bed anywhere in the house.

The kids' IKEA half-high bed once collapsed (Broccoli sleeps on slats under the bed, Celery on top - luckily this happened during the day and no one was harmed). So, for a moment, we thought "what on earth what a piece of crap". Until we noticed the missing bolts. We found a huge pile of bolts in the kids' closet... they'd taken out more than half of them. No wonder the bed collapsed. And they didn't use any tools to do it either. :(

It's definitely time to start regularly inspecting furniture that might collapse, whether you give him the tools or not.

:ohmy:

I had not thought of something like that. I will check.