Menu

Ignore this thread!

Technically, she doesn't really need you to try a practice test, does she? 

Does she have much experience with multiple choice tests? If not, I'd definitely have her read through the test taking tips in a test prep book before having her try a practice test. 

Yeah, I'll think all that through in a couple of months.  I also need to schedule another evaluation with the neuropsychologist to see if she still needs certain accommodations (extra time, no Scantron sheets, etc.).  Those evaluations have to be less than 3 years old at the time the subject takes those standardized tests.

• Like 3

This whole Passport to the Library thing is not helping me keep my number of checked out books limited to a reasonable number (I can check out 50 on my card, and currently have 40-something checked out... at least I have nothing checked out on the kids' cards... they basically have cards so they can use the library computers, not to enable me to check out 150 items). 

Do you have to return the books to the branches from which you checked them out, or will they accept you dropping them into whichever library's bin is handiest?

• Like 1

Morning. Heading out to mow lawn, weed the remaining flower beds and try to get everything outside done before the rain starts. Insomnia tried to get me, but didn't stick and I got back to sleep before I could panic.

These boys need work to do. Hard work. Then a sandwich and a nap. They are being stickery little caterpillars this morning.

• Like 5

Morning. Heading out to mow lawn, weed the remaining flower beds and try to get everything outside done before the rain starts. Insomnia tried to get me, but didn't stick and I got back to sleep before I could panic.

These boys need work to do. Hard work. Then a sandwich and a nap. They are being stickery little caterpillars this morning.

I was thinking about you - glad you slept!

• Like 1

🇺🇸 My kids and I are giving a 4th of July "Music on the Front Porch" mini concert to practice for the Old Lady Party on Friday. Y'all are invited. 10am. There will be lemonade. 🇺🇸

Wait... are we invited for the front porch thing or the Friday thing? Or is the front porch thing on Friday? And is there any chance you could reschedule this to be in August? If I'm going to be driving 10 hours each way to TN, might as well throw in an eclipse, yes?

Yeah, I'll think all that through in a couple of months.  I also need to schedule another evaluation with the neuropsychologist to see if she still needs certain accommodations (extra time, no Scantron sheets, etc.).  Those evaluations have to be less than 3 years old at the time the subject takes those standardized tests.

Oh, that would complicate things... kind of hard to take a practice test if you don't know how much time you have. Though you could just have her take the test, and jot down how far she got in the allotted time, and then jot down how far she is at time and a half (or, alternatively, what time she finished at, if she finishes in less time than that). 

Do you have to return the books to the branches from which you checked them out, or will they accept you dropping them into whichever library's bin is handiest?

Anywhere within the county system. They charge you to bring books to your branch, but they'll take them away for free. 

• Like 2

The city/county next to us has recently announced that they will no longer charge late fees. Because it's not nice to punish people for wanting to read. However, I would be fairly annoyed if it meant I would have to wait an eternity for a book that someone doesn't feel like returning.

Ours doesn't charge. 

We are always waaaaaaay overdue.  

:leaving:

Hm.  A double-post, 9 hours apart.   :huh:

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 4

Wait... are we invited for the front porch thing or the Friday thing? Or is the front porch thing on Friday? And is there any chance you could reschedule this to be in August? If I'm going to be driving 10 hours each way to TN, might as well throw in an eclipse, yes?

Today, Front Porch!

Friday! Monthly birthday party at a local nursing home (AKA Old Lady Party)

August 21 - we'll do a repeat if you like. However, you'll need to come with us an hour and a half East to get right in the center of the eclipse - our house is about 15 minutes outside the path. :( We have NASA approved viewing glasses!

Come one, come all!

• Like 7

Today, Front Porch!

Friday! Monthly birthday party at a local nursing home (AKA Old Lady Party)

August 21 - we'll do a repeat if you like. However, you'll need to come with us an hour and a half East to get right in the center of the eclipse - our house is about 15 minutes outside the path. :( We have NASA approved viewing glasses!

Come one, come all!

I'm going to have to RSVP no to today - something about not being able to drive 10 hours in 20 min. 

We're still not sure if we're going to go to the eclipse, but if we do, I should message you to see how far off our path you are - maybe we could meet up.

• Like 4

🇺🇸 My kids and I are giving a 4th of July "Music on the Front Porch" mini concert to practice for the Old Lady Party on Friday. Y'all are invited. 10am. There will be lemonade. 🇺🇸

I want to come! Fire up the 'copter!

I'll be there, too. Sounds lovely. Will there be a Sing Along portion?? I love singing patriotic music.
  • Like 5

The city/county next to us has recently announced that they will no longer charge late fees. Because it's not nice to punish people for wanting to read. However, I would be fairly annoyed if it meant I would have to wait an eternity for a book that someone doesn't feel like returning.

Ours doesn't charge. 

We are always waaaaaaay overdue.  

:leaving:

I thought it was punishing people for being irresponsible. We turn our books in late, not because we want to read them but because we are completely irresponsible.

Ours charges only 50 cents.  Their reasoning is that they'd rather get the books back; they don't want accumulating fines to keep people and books away.  I :001_wub:  our library.

(Interesting note:  Because she is a library volunteer, Jo is exempt from all fines.  Since that has happened, she has never, ever missed a due date.  She doesn't want to take advantage of her position. :001_huh: )

• Like 8

Quoting myself to say that rather than being banned I have been praised by the leaders on Nextdoor for saying what needed to be said.

I just joined Nextdoor for my town.  Do you know of any way to get posts to sort chronologically?  I'm trying to see the latest Crime & Safety posts, but the recent stuff is scattered amongst older stuff and I can find no way to sort the list.  When I was getting set up I also saw a post requesting babysitting on my street but now I can't find it to check its date and determine if the need still exists.

• Like 1

Happy Bday! Happy 4th!

I did a Bunch of lunges and traveling squats with kettlebells last night so I'll be hobbling around like an old woman today. Dh wants to go look at cars.

Funny!  My DH wants to go look at cars, too.  He's probably a year away from getting a new/different one (so DD15 can have his Soul), but he's having fun looking.  I reminded him that he doesn't have to have 4 seat belts in his next car because DD15's Soul and my truck will take care of that need.  He's quite tickled that he could entertain the idea of getting a little 2-seater sporty thing again.  He used to have and drive a 1962 MGA (it was his car in high school), and I know he misses it.

• Like 1

Ours charges only 50 cents.  Their reasoning is that they'd rather get the books back; they don't want accumulating fines to keep people and books away. 

This hasn't happened often, but when I end up with massive fines I cannot afford, the book drop box outside of library hours is an easy way to return them without having to face the powers that be. But yeah, it's kept me from going to the library at times, once for a few months. 

The thing about library fines is also that while they punish people for being irresponsible, they do disproportionately affect the poor. Like, IIRC the time that I quit going to the library for a few months, my fines were just under $30. Today, if my fines were $30, I'd just show up and hand them money and tell myself to make sure that doesn't happen again, but at the same time feel that I donated some cash to the library for the common good. But, when our household income was below the poverty line, $30 was a big deal that meant not using the library. Also since we were living in a small town at the time without a library, the library we had that fine at was a 15 mile drive away, so it was harder to guarantee that books would be returned on time... lack of gas money, a broken down car, having the flu, etc could easily delay the return of books compared to now, with the library less than a mile away. 

• Like 3

I have no plans for today.  I would like to go to Susan's house, but Mapquest just told me that it would take me about 30 hours and 22 minutes to get to the general vicinity.  I'm thinking that would make me pretty late.

You would be on time for the Old Lady Party!

• Like 3

Okay, initially I thought Jean was going to banned from a neighbor's house, but now I think that I misunderstood.  What's Nextdoor?

It's a social media thing for neighborhoods.  My town set up a neighborhood on Nextdoor and sent out invites some months back.  I finally caved and signed in, hoping to have another way to keep an ear open for happenings of concern, but I'm having some difficulty.  Can't say yet if it's new-user-error or annoying behaviors endemic to Nextdoor.  It feels very Facebook-y, which is both a pro and a con in my book.

• Like 2

Funny!  My DH wants to go look at cars, too.  He's probably a year away from getting a new/different one (so DD15 can have his Soul), but he's having fun looking.  I reminded him that he doesn't have to have 4 seat belts in his next car because DD15's Soul and my truck will take care of that need.  He's quite tickled that he could entertain the idea of getting a little 2-seater sporty thing again.  He used to have and drive a 1962 MGA (it was his car in high school), and I know he misses it.

I've heard of parents sacrificing for their children, but I think giving his soul is a little extreme.   :laugh:

• Like 8

Before I dip my toe into the sea, maybe I can ask here. Dh suddenly started getting pain on the back of his wrist on Sunday afternoon. He can't move it without pain, it feels weak, can't open/close it basically he can't use it. It was not injured, and the last he had used it for work was the day prior moving furniture. We can't pin down a cause which makes it difficult to treat other than wrapping it and ice. He's off work these past two days, but is concerned he won't be able to work tomorrow.

Before I dip my toe into the sea, maybe I can ask here. Dh suddenly started getting pain on the back of his wrist on Sunday afternoon. He can't move it without pain, it feels weak, can't open/close it basically he can't use it. It was not injured, and the last he had used it for work was the day prior moving furniture. We can't pin down a cause which makes it difficult to treat other than wrapping it and ice. He's off work these past two days, but is concerned he won't be able to work tomorrow.

Perhaps a strain or sprain?  Has he taken any anti-inflammatory meds?  It could be some swelling is impinging upon a nerve.

• Like 3

:(

Is the ice helping?  Is there inflammation?

My wrists are now nearly completely locked.  Back when my wrists sort-of worked, hot water usually felt good.  Once my wrists were good and warm -- running warm/hot water over them for several minutes -- I would gently flex my wrists to increase the range of motion.  Tylenol/Advil or whatever might help too.

• Like 4

Happy Independence Day!!

Some of the gals in the office where my FIL used to work would put on a fireworks show each year before the holiday.  They has some file cabinets in a line to form a room divider, and they would sit everyone down facing the cabinets.  They would then go behind the cabinets, put on patriotic music, and throw handfuls of confetti into the air above the cabinets while making whoosh, pop, whistle, and bang noises.  Everyone in the audience would Ooo and Aahh appreciatively, and when the display was over they would have picnic goodies and snacks.

My favorite set-up for watching fireworks was when we would visit Mesa, AZ when Grandma J still lived there.  Our hotel had a wonderful view of the fireworks -- people would line the street right there.  We would make sure our room was on that side of the building and at least 3 floors up, and we would have the kids (then quite young) bathed and in jammies before it got dark.  We would turn out the lights and watch the show from our air-conditioned room's window, and when it was over we would all get right into bed.  I would love to do that again sometime!

I forgot to mention:  MIL's plan this year is to put chairs in their front yard.  Last year their across-the-road neighbor set off a nice display in their yard, and MIL & FIL simply sat and watched.  This year there are grandkids at Camp Grandma, so more chairs will be needed.   :laugh:

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 4

I am back from the mowing and the yard work. I ran the weed-eater in the garden paths, and that thing is a beast! My arms were shaking so badly at the end of the session that I had a fun time driving home. I still can't hold a glass without my hands trembling. But I can type, and that's a plus. So I can go for another 2K today. After I bath the very muddy, grassy and mosquito-bitten goat.

• Like 2

Pain pain? I don't suppose you can break a bone without knowing it, can you? (((Mr. Renai)))

(Has he had a previous injury there?)

Edited by Susan in TN

I would like more Spanish books on the Kindle. I have Hansel y Gretel (interactive audio from Audible, so no words written but pictures shown), and La Vispera de Navidad (book). I also downloaded a few dramatized Spanish Bible from Audible, but again, there's no immersive reading, just listening. 

I just weeded through 27 pages of Spanish children's books and found exactly 0 books with immersion reading. I am so peeved.

I just joined Nextdoor for my town. Do you know of any way to get posts to sort chronologically? I'm trying to see the latest Crime & Safety posts, but the recent stuff is scattered amongst older stuff and I can find no way to sort the list. When I was getting set up I also saw a post requesting babysitting on my street but now I can't find it to check its date and determine if the need still exists.

Hmm. I get daily notifications/summary that only show me what has new posts. It might be a totally new post or it might be a few old posts with new replies.

Okay, initially I thought Jean was going to banned from a neighbor's house, but now I think that I misunderstood. What's Nextdoor?

Nextdoor.com. It's a message board for neighborhoods around the nation. There are sections for neighborhood news and chats, crime reports and classified ads. Our little city has lost its local newspaper so we discuss all sorts of things. This lady though was on a rant about how immigrants have pushed "regular" people out of their place of privilege. It wasn't pretty. Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 2

Nextdoor.com. It's a message board for neighborhoods around the nation. There are sections for neighborhood news and chats, crime reports and classified ads. Our little city has lost its local newspaper so we discuss all sorts of things. This lady though was on a rant about how immigrants have pushed "regular" people out of their place if privilege. It wasn't pretty.

Ah.  It's one of those things for people who live where there's food delivery!  :laugh:

• Like 2

Ah. It's one of those things for people who live where there's food delivery! :laugh:

Maybe? I don't know how/ if it handles rural areas. You could (if you were interested) go to their site and put in your address to see if your area is covered. I appreciate seeing crime reports and bear sitings (a lot of those recently) and lost dog/cat listings and posts about garage sales and freebies that the neighbors want to get rid of. And in our paperless situation we discuss city council meetings and how to get them to stop acting like idiots. (Ok not quite so bluntly. ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It's a social media thing for neighborhoods. My town set up a neighborhood on Nextdoor and sent out invites some months back. I finally caved and signed in, hoping to have another way to keep an ear open for happenings of concern, but I'm having some difficulty. Can't say yet if it's new-user-error or annoying behaviors endemic to Nextdoor. It feels very Facebook-y, which is both a pro and a con in my book.

I just joined ours, too, and I feel the same way about ours as you do. Honestly, I don't pay much attention. It's a little overwhelming.
  • Like 1

I just weeded through 27 pages of Spanish children's books and found exactly 0 books with immersion reading. I am so peeved.

Probably not what you're looking for, but for fun, did you look at Slangman Kids Spanish books?

This lady though was on a rant about how immigrants have pushed "regular" people out of their place of privilege. It wasn't pretty.

Oooh, that's ugly. I'm glad you spoke up.

Jeannie for President. Vote ITT!! The only Party that Makes Sense.

Ooooh, and this is an ITT in the White House Booya/h!!!!

And speaking of Jeannie's cabinet members, I think JJM would make an excellent Secretary of Defense.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 8

I just joined ours, too, and I feel the same way about ours as you do. Honestly, I don't pay much attention. It's a little overwhelming.

I glance over the daily summary. Most days I just look at thread titles and don't even click on anything. It takes me less than two minutes. Every once in awhile I will see something interesting and will actually read what people are saying. Even more rarely (every three months or so?) I will actually post a reply to something.

• Like 3