Menu

Ignore this thread!

We use Wordly Wise.  It isn't religious at all.  It's just vocab words and sentences and a once a week secular reading comprehension excerpt. 

Worth it?  Pros/Cons?  Do you use with the Teacher Resource (and is it necessary)?  Can we jump right in at level 4?

Thanks in advance!

I need to declutter my home. I can go by category (all over the house) or by room. I'm not sure what to do.

I went by category and then put everything away by category. With all of our office supplies in the same place we have no doubles and I know what we need and don't need. It's simpler and I swear it takes up less room. Before I had clothes in the closet, coats in the front closet, clothes that were too small in a bin, and I think clothes somewhere else? Now all my clothes are in one spot and seemed to take up half the space.

• Like 2

Worth it? Pros/Cons? Do you use with the Teacher Resource (and is it necessary)? Can we jump right in at level 4?

Thanks in advance!

Worth it. No teacher resource necessary (and we've gone through level 8). It's helped dd tremendously. We jumped in at level 5 and did just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you, everyone. Truly.

She is coming to my house for a few days. We will try and see how it goes. I pick her up tomorrow afternoon. Maybe she will want to go home after a few days. Maybe not. Like Jean said, one day at a time. Either I will be able to manage or not. At least I have you all to support me and you have no idea how much that means to me. I love ya all.

• Like 9

Worth it. No teacher resource necessary (and we've gone through level 8). It's helped dd tremendously. We jumped in at level 5 and did just fine.

Yay!  Perfect.  Without the teacher book I can tack it on without overthinking the purchase.  You rock. Thanks. :001_wub:

• Like 4

She is coming to my house for a few days. We will try and see how it goes. I pick her up tomorrow afternoon. Maybe she will want to go home after a few days. Maybe not. Like Jean said, one day at a time. Either I will be able to manage or not. At least I have you all to support me and you have no idea how much that means to me. I love ya all.

We love you too. Big hugs. :)

• Like 3

Oh, and in my mailbox today I received a bill from the first rehab place for $239.00 for her first day there, the 9th. We never even got there until after 4 p.m. Her insurance took over on the 10th. I feel like sending them a bill for the $200 worth of medicine "destroyed", her purse that was misplaced, and all the time, trips, and worry it has/is caused. I might if I find the time to do so.

• Like 3

In other news, we gassed Gymnast. She got a crown for the tooth that has been bothering her.  Her anesthesia has just run out, so I need to go find some meds.

Glad you were able to get by with just gas.  Youngest has a crown on a baby tooth that she will need for quite a bit. It's the most secure way of rescuing a tooth you need for a while.

• Like 2

I went by category and then put everything away by category. With all of our office supplies in the same place we have no doubles and I know what we need and don't need. It's simpler and I swear it takes up less room. Before I had clothes in the closet, coats in the front closet, clothes that were too small in a bin, and I think clothes somewhere else? Now all my clothes are in one spot and seemed to take up half the space.

I found it helpful to go by category because, as it turned out, I had stuff scattered all over the house.

The stuff-all-over-the-house syndrome was the reason I was wondering. I really couldn't figure out if it was better to first completely gut the living room of all books, toys, clothes, etc. for example, or start with books and cull them all from the living room, hallway (bookcases) and both bedrooms. Then move on to the next category. I really feel like I need to start with books. 

ETA: Oh, lookie! A my-house-is-thrashed booya!

931932690d076db63973704f2ba9e6fb.jpg

Edited by Renai
  • Like 7

Glad you were able to get by with just gas.  Youngest has a crown on a baby tooth that she will need for quite a bit. It's the most secure way of rescuing a tooth you need for a while.

They were saying all her cavities are between the teeth instead of the top, which was why they suggested crowns. 8 molars and 3 front top teeth. It's crazy.

The anesthesia wore off and she was having a lot of pain. I had to run to the store for Tylenol. She's finally stopped crying and has fallen asleep.

• Like 2

I need to declutter my home. I can go by category (all over the house) or by room. I'm not sure what to do.

A whole room is too overwhelming to me, so I go by small areas usually all in the same room, but I reserve the right to go to a different part of the house if I get sick of the one I am working on. I am very flexible that way. :D

Of course, we already have "a place for everything". It's just that nothing is in it's place. Or thrown out.

• Like 3

If she has that much damage, you might ask about extra-fluoride toothpaste, especially if you ever needed antibiotics in your pregnancy with her.

My kids' cavities are almost all "flossing" cavities (between teeth), but the kids who have the worst teeth have all either had reflux or something else going on.  One of them uses the Rx toothpaste (which the dentist just gave us).

• Like 2

One of the things that Kon-marie-ing my house did was bring balance to what I owned.  I had 20 books on castles and knights. It was ridiculous. I kept the best 3, and I moved on.  Three was more than adequate, because I kept the best quality. I freed up a ton of space on that shelf for books that had overflowed elsewhere.  Decluttering was a great way to consciously think about what I owned, and why, and to keep only the things that I loved best. I realized that I spent a lot of time living in fear of not having "enough", and as a result, I felt suffocated by what I did cling to.  I changed my relationship with things, got rid of 2/3 of it, and have been extremely happy through the process.  The six of us in our family were in 2 BR/500 square feet last summer and I realized that I really needed very, very little.

• Like 3

One of the things that Kon-marie-ing my house did was bring balance to what I owned. I had 20 books on castles and knights. It was ridiculous. I kept the best 3, and I moved on. Three was more than adequate, because I kept the best quality. I freed up a ton of space on that shelf for books that had overflowed elsewhere. Decluttering was a great way to consciously think about what I owned, and why, and to keep only the things that I loved best. I realized that I spent a lot of time living in fear of not having "enough", and as a result, I felt suffocated by what I did cling to. I changed my relationship with things, got rid of 2/3 of it, and have been extremely happy through the process. The six of us in our family were in 2 BR/500 square feet last summer and I realized that I really needed very, very little.

This is why I like going by category. I think if you went by area you would might not have made those same choices.

I used to tend to hoard things because I was poor. It took me a long time to be able to not do that. I'd say it was a 7 year process. Well, I don't have the kinds of things that you buy and set on a shelf but you're all invited to my house 6 months after the apocalypse to pick up some toilet paper and floss because I'll still have plenty. Some things don't change. ;)

• Like 4

If she has that much damage, you might ask about extra-fluoride toothpaste, especially if you ever needed antibiotics in your pregnancy with her.

My kids' cavities are almost all "flossing" cavities (between teeth), but the kids who have the worst teeth have all either had reflux or something else going on.  One of them uses the Rx toothpaste (which the dentist just gave us).

I'm not sure what's going on. There haven't been tooth issue on either side of the family until her. I did wonder if the medication I took during my first trimester could have an effect on tooth development (calcium channel blocker for hypertension), but the dentist said her tooth structures were good and strong. We have non-fluoridated well water, so have always used fluoride toothpaste. I'd never heard of extra-fluoride. I'll look into that.

She woke up crying again. It's been going on for the past 40 minutes. I called the clinic to ask about pain, and they seem to think she doesn't know the difference between pain and being uncomfortable.

I'll be back later.

We did not go to the beach today, but youngest did get the cupcakes she wanted. She is adorable!! While running errands with me this afternoon, she wanted to come home and watch church videos so that she could wave to Jesus. I explained in the car that she could wave just where she was and He would see her. She seriously waved for 20 minutes.  Love her!

I still haven't found the papers I need, but I found the original scout physical form, which was the most important (hardest to replicate on a weekend) thing. I will duplicate it again if I have to replace the lost paperwork.

• Like 6

OMG. A toddler was just walking down the busy street straight for a bus. I stopped and Dd jumped out and grabbed the baby. Another lady stopped and grabbed his puppy. I called police. We gave statements and waited 20 minutes with police. No signs of parents. We didn't want to give the little guy up to the policeman who clearly was freaked out by a child.

• Like 7

OMG. A toddler was just walking down the busy street straight for a bus. I stopped and Dd jumped out and grabbed the baby. Another lady stopped and grabbed his puppy. I called police. We gave statements and waited 20 minutes with police. No signs of parents. We didn't want to give the little guy up to the policeman who clearly was freaked out by a child.

Way to go DD! Praise God! I'm so sorry she was put in that situation.

• Like 4

:grouphug:

Lost (well, found) babies are scary.  Usually when DH got calls like that, it was usually a situation where the parent works nights and the baby was an escape artist.  Much terror, all the way around.

Good for you for stopping and staying.

• Like 3

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 3

Oh, my. Glad you and dd were there, Jean. And I hope the little one gets reunited with his family quickly.

Scary.

What sort of sucks is that I'll probably never know how it all ended.  He was such a sweet little guy too.  One of the most chill toddlers I've ever seen!  He told me that his name was "Dinosaur"! 

• Like 7

Mary has chosen the past 2 days to begin potty training herself. She's never been one for decent timing. Or anything reasonable, really.

What sort of sucks is that I'll probably never know how it all ended. He was such a sweet little guy too. One of the most chill toddlers I've ever seen! He told me that his name was "Dinosaur"!

I would call the station tomorrow. Or maybe now.

• Like 6

I just want to point out that I actually knew something about curriculum. And helped someone! Yay! I can pass as a homeschooler!

I really enjoy hearing about your philosophy and ideas. You might not have had an impact on the curriculum I choose, but you have made an impact on how it's implemented.

• Like 7

I finally tracked down dd9's prescription eyedrops. And I left them at the pharmacy. Because $80 (after insurance), yo. :huh:

Can you try Fred Meyer or Target for deals? $4 generics and such? Sometimes the doctor has free samples. I've free sampled a UTI away thanks to a kind doctor.

• Like 1

I really enjoy hearing about your philosophy and ideas. You might not have had an impact on the curriculum I choose, but you have made an impact on how it's implemented.

Yes, I always feel a lot better about my non-typical kid and how things are going, or could go, after reading Jean.

#goreadJean

• Like 4

Can you try Fred Meyer or Target for deals? $4 generics and such? Sometimes the doctor has free samples. I've free sampled a UTI away thanks to a kind doctor.

It's apparently some seldom-prescribed antibiotic/steroid drop.  We already have a different antibiotic drop that cost $1.  I don't think we need the steroid as the inflamation is already much better.

We are supposed to follow up in a week.  If the doctor still thinks it's necessary we might get it.  I think she'll be fine without it.

• Like 5

(((Dawn)))

One of my kids had four silver molar crowns and front teeth damage young. Same kid had severe silent reflux. This was before going gf. No reflux or cavities now.

Gymnast has so many (weird) food allergies, I wouldn't be surprised. I actually have a call in to the regular doctor to get allergy referrals for both girls. Gymnast's check was when she was 2, and they only tested one panel. They did the skin test for wheat but there was no effect. I don't know if they'll do a blood test for gluten. 

• Like 2

We are definitely here for you.  You are so brave and kind!

I'm not sure what's going on. There haven't been tooth issue on either side of the family until her. I did wonder if the medication I took during my first trimester could have an effect on tooth development (calcium channel blocker for hypertension), but the dentist said her tooth structures were good and strong. We have non-fluoridated well water, so have always used fluoride toothpaste. I'd never heard of extra-fluoride. I'll look into that.

She woke up crying again. It's been going on for the past 40 minutes. I called the clinic to ask about pain, and they seem to think she doesn't know the difference between pain and being uncomfortable.

I'll be back later.

Complete idiots!  Do we care what she calls it?  She hurts!  ENB at your service!

Oh.my.word.  So thankful you were both so quick thinking!  

I finally tracked down dd9's prescription eyedrops.  And I left them at the pharmacy.  Because $80 (after insurance), yo.   :huh:

(((Junie)))  Glad you think she'll be okay without the drops.  That's crazy!  

• Like 7