What's with the ads?

Photo

Looking to do some *relaxed* math here, want to share ideas?

166 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#51 scrapbabe

scrapbabe

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2541 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

I found Mariyln Burns' two math books as a free pdf download for anyone who is interested.  I hate Mathematics and Math for Smarty Pants.

http://www.arvindgup.../hate-maths.pdf

http://www.daves.lgu...SmartyPants.pdf

• soror, TGHEALTHYMOM, Runningmom80 and 1 other like this

#52 scrapbabe

scrapbabe

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2541 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

Alright, I have to update with a review. We received Math for Smarty Pants from the library and have been using it this week. We love this book. It starts off talking about the meaning of math smarty pants and how some kids are really fast with figuring out math problems but then there are also kids who are good with shapes and some that are really good with strategy and logic- all of them are math smarty pants, not just the one who is fast (which was great as speed with his facts is his struggle). It then says that in order to be good all you need is to believe you can be good and practice. The problems and Math puzzles have been such fun, while practicing our math facts. Yesterday we ended up going over our math time 20 minutes as we got involved with trying to figure out one of the problems.

We've been playing Zeus on the Loose and I have Albert's Insomnia but I haven't tried it yet- hopefully today. We are playing lots of strategy games; newer ones and Chess as well. He did some scaling work with his legos like 8 mentioned above. I still want to open a store here but haven't had the time to get supplies, I considered as well giving him some seed money and letting him work on making some type of little business, letting him only spend the money on supplies or such and then keep track of his profit, that is just a loose idea though.

I just ordered a new game as well- Mythimatical Battles(there are 2 games- Greek/Celtic and Norse/Egyptian)-it is a dueling card game and you have to use your multiplication facts to figure out what your cards are worth and how you are doing in battle (it seems similar to Pokemon or Magic- I've not played either but I think it will be a huge hit). Oh, and if you cannot figure it out you can consult the "oracle" aka the multiplication fact sheet.

Here is the description from Rainbow Resource(which was FAR cheaper than Amazon)

Thanks for sharing!  I've been interested in the Mythmatical Battles game but have yet to buy it.  Let us know what you think about it.

• soror likes this

#53 Plum Crazy

Plum Crazy

The Doctor's next companion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7250 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

We did the CM Pet Shop a few years back. That was fun. 

If he likes Harry Potter, I made a shopping game for the kids. I made my own cards that have pictures of items that would be on their Diagon Alley shopping list. They've been using it to practice addition and subtraction. You could use it to make your own shopping lists and figure out taxes. 

http://www.new2homes...ping-cards.html

• scrapbabe, TracyP, soror and 2 others like this

#54 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12036 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

Scrapbabe- I added the link to Math for Smarty Pants but I cannot get the I Hate Mathematics to load. I told dh about the Mythimatical Battles, he loves those type of games so he is going to be teaching me and ds.

#55 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12036 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

Plum Crazy that is awesome! I was just going to have ds work on shopping w/ me this weekend but I'm sure it would be even cooler if it was HP theme, you rock! I just added your link to my list under games. 

You guys are all so creative, that is not my strong suit so I love that you are sharing ideas!

#56 scrapbabe

scrapbabe

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2541 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

Scrapbabe- I added the link to Math for Smarty Pants but I cannot get the I Hate Mathematics to load. I told dh about the Mythimatical Battles, he loves those type of games so he is going to be teaching me and ds.

Hmmmm, the link is working fine for me.  You could try going here http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/  Then under Books, click English.  Then scroll about 1/3 down the page to Books on Mathematics.  It's like number six on the list - Hate Math Books.  See if that works. :)  There's actually all kinds of books there that look interesting. 

#57 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31010 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

I thought I would mention a few things that might also be useful (some may have been mentioned before):

DVD's:

Mathmagic Camp DVD by Aurora Lipper of Supercharged Science (45 lessons with fun activities covering several areas of math)

Mental Math Secrets  By MathTutorDVD.com

The Story of One DVD 

Activity Books:

MathART progjects and Activities by Carolyn Ford Brunetto

Math Wise! by Jim Overholt and Laurie Kincheloe

Books:

The Secret Life of Math by Ann McCallum

Activity Box:

Real World Math: Unexpected Events by Teacher Created Resources

Best wishes!

• soror likes this

#58 scrapbabe

scrapbabe

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2541 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

The Story of One DVD

Love the Story of One!!! Thanks for the other suggestions too!
  • OneStepAtATime likes this

#59 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31010 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

Love the Story of One!!! Thanks for the other suggestions too!

It was popular enough here that when we lent it out and never got it back, we bought another one....

• scrapbabe and soror like this

#60 Kerileanne99

Kerileanne99

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2251 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:47 PM

This is one of my favorite threads:)

Grandma got my dd the Tri-Facta multiplication/division game over the Christmas holiday, and I have been very pleasantly suprised! She already knew her multiplication facts, and has been quite keen on the challenge of 60-sweep....
However, playing the Tri-Facta game has made her consider the relationships on a new level, and has combined the strategy of playing with others as well. And it really is quite fun!
We already had great success with the addition/subtraction version, so I was thrilled to try this one:)
  • scrapbabe, soror and OneStepAtATime like this

#61 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12036 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:40 AM

Alright, I added in all the new links- and fixed the ones for the books- thanks scrababe! 

OneStepAtATime- Love the DVD suggestions- I found them on youtube as well and linked that and added it to our own que. I'm excited about watching them. The books look great as well.

kerrileanne- thanks for more game recs, those look great.

I forgot to mention I have Danica McKellar's Middle School Book and LoF Fractions both requested from the library. I really wanted to request LoF intermediate but they didn't have it online so I'll have to go in and try to do an ILL.

We did some BA yesterday, 4A, angles. I was thinking that perhaps we'll try to do BA spiral format, do a bit in this book and that book as we want. I requested What's Your Angle Pythagoras and Sir Cumference and the Great Knight of Angleland to go along w/ BA as well.

• MtnTeaching and OneStepAtATime like this

#62 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12036 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:17 AM

I just printed out the HP shopping lists and cards, coincidentally we just in our replacement cash register, the kids are super excited. I bet they'll be busy playing with it all day.

• Plum Crazy and OneStepAtATime like this

#63 Plum Crazy

Plum Crazy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7250 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

I just printed out the HP shopping lists and cards, coincidentally we just in our replacement cash register, the kids are super excited. I bet they'll be busy playing with it all day.

I'm so glad you like them. :D
I always get nervous putting things out there.
  • soror and OneStepAtATime like this

#64 SeaConquest

SeaConquest

Advocatus Diaboli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2696 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:18 PM

Following too. Thanks for the great thread.

#65 MtnTeaching

MtnTeaching

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

I forgot to mention I have Danica McKellar's Middle School Book and LoF Fractions both requested from the library. I really wanted to request LoF intermediate but they didn't have it online so I'll have to go in and try to do an ILL.

We loved all of Danica McKellar's books!! (Just not the titles  :001_rolleyes:).  They are definitely written for girls.  But, I used it first with my ds!  

We made a game out of it and would substitute "macho male" items for the girly items.  High heels became combat boots.  Lipstick became Lego pieces.  It was fun and worked for him.

Danica has great memory tips.

• Kareni, soror, Alte Veste Academy and 1 other like this

#66 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31010 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

bumping this since it is such a good resource

• soror likes this

#67 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12036 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:40 AM

I'll update since this has been bumped. Math is going really well here. We've settled into a new routine doing BA for 30 min, Math for Smarty Pants for about 30 (he is always begging for more) and then some type of game- card games, kindle game etc to practice our facts and just have fun. He is enjoying it and I am too and the best part is that it is working, he is gaining much more fluency and speed but we are also moving forward w/ concepts in BA and we are having fun. He told me Math for Smarty Pants is his favorite part of school right now. He is loving the Mythmatical Battles as well, he begs dh to play any chance he gets, last night dh finally told him he was done after they'd played for a good 45 minutes. 

I plan to keep this schedule for the foreseeable future. After we make it through Math for Smarty Pants I'm not sure what we're doing next, I have LoF Fractions on request ILL so I'm going to see how it likes it. I tried LoF before but I only had Apples, anyway, he learns well from narratives so perhaps it will be a good fit. I'm shelving RS for good. I have MM now for 4-6 to pull from where I need to, it doesn't work great for him to use it but I can learn from it and teach it from the whiteboard. I think as well if I adjust how it prints and he does some on the computer it will be doable as well. So, I'll be using BA as our main program until we cannot, pulling in from MM. I think I can stretch out BA for the rest of this year. He said something about wanting to go back through the other books and we are just a little ways in A now as we mostly did RS this year. I know I read in the books they talked about going through them more than once so I think it would be good to go back and hit those challenge problems we couldn't get before. I like having a primary program to fall back on, I wish that BA would publish fast enough to last until Algebra but as it is not we are going to have to improvise. So, if LoF fits it will be BA/LoF and then MM/LoF in between BA books.

I'm still getting various other living math books as well. Up this week I have, "What's Your Angle Pythagoras" and" Sir Circumference and the Cone" as we are doing geo right now in BA. I got the Danica McKellar Middle School Book ILL and he was insulted by it, he gave me this crazy look, like who in the world is this for, so that is not going to happen (thankfully I didn't pay for it!)! I'm considering buying some Murderous Maths books as well but I need to get some in ILL first to see if he likes them.

• scrapbabe, TracyP, Alte Veste Academy and 1 other like this

#68 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31010 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

Yeah!  So glad things are going so well!  

Thanks to your awesome thread here and the responses on the LC board, we are doing a lot better, too.  And Beast Academy is a hit.  DD, DS and I spent about an hour playing games with geometry today and laughing our heads off.  We have not yet tried our copy of Math for Smarty Pants, but that is next on the list... :)

I do have one LoF book that someone gave me.  It is Dogs.  I thought I might use it with DS, since he also does really well with narrative.  Not sure if I should go back a book or two to get him used to the system or not. There are a couple of things I don't think DS has had yet, but I don't want him to get bored.  Do you think starting with a lower book would benefit or do you know the system well enough to make a recommendation?

• soror likes this

#69 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12036 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

I am a total LoF newbie. I don't want to go through the whole elementary series due to the cost though. It seems fairly easy for me to find the upper books ILL but the new ones are really hard to find, I cannot even find the intermediate series, that's why I'm going to go ahead and try Fractions and see how it goes.

#70 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31010 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

Good luck!  I hope to get to the library later this week and try to locate a few LoF.  I just don't know this series terribly well either...

• soror likes this

#71 Kerileanne99

Kerileanne99

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2251 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

I am a total LoF newbie. I don't want to go through the whole elementary series due to the cost though. It seems fairly easy for me to find the upper books ILL but the new ones are really hard to find, I cannot even find the intermediate series, that's why I'm going to go ahead and try Fractions and see how it goes.

I happen to have the entire elementary set of LoF, and we are working out way through them. I am not ready to part with them (maybe never!) as kiddo likes to read back through them. However, if you want to pay book rate shipping I will be happy to lend them to you 1-2 at a time, especially since you don't know if it will be a hit. You will fly through the first ones anyway:)
Cheaper than buying them all, not as cheap as the library!
Send me a pm if you can't find them locally and want to give it ago.

#72 Kevin'sMom

Kevin'sMom

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

I'm being contrarian here, again, but.... :huh: we don't make math a game at our house, at all. We just learn it and do it and, like virtue, it becomes its own reward.

• mathwonk likes this

#73 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31010 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:37 PM

I'm being contrarian here, again, but.... :huh: we don't make math a game at our house, at all. We just learn it and do it and, like virtue, it becomes its own reward.

I respect your opinion, but I am not certain you are getting the reason for this thread.  When a child is struggling or has lost all interest in a subject, sometimes changing the approach to speak specifically to that child's interests and likes can reignite a love of that subject that just plodding through does not.  This morning, for my kids and I, taking Beast Academy and playing games based on what was learned left us with a wonderful hour of great math, great math that was also in game form, along with giving us a lot of laughter.  We had a blast, and we solidified some wonderful math concepts.  This inspired the kids to continue doing more math from other sources and we were all in a good mood, besides.  Win win.

Also, I am curious if you actually read through the entire post and saw how helpful this thread has been to many parents?  And how convenient it is to have all these great ideas listed on one thread source?  This really is a very useful thread and I am terribly grateful to soror for putting so much effort into organizing the posted ideas.

• TracyP, soror, Miss Innocent and 4 others like this

#74 Alte Veste Academy

Alte Veste Academy

gorging ourselves on the "gravy"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7164 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:41 AM

"Suck it up, Buttercup" has its place here too now and then. But with some kids, there is no "just learn it and do it" about it. And even if a resistant kid can be dutifully made to comply, in my opinion, there is nothing virtuous about making math merely tolerable when, with a little effort and change in perspective, it can be made a joy. I will take my chances on engagement being the reward for the virtue of honoring my kids' needs.
  • FO4UR, TracyP, soror and 5 others like this

#75 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12036 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:58 AM

Yes, I could have made ds just do the math that he hated anyway. He is actually a very compliant kid, for him to complain is huge, especially this vehemently. I had to consider my goals though and making him plod through the math he hated  and just do it regardless wasn't going to accomplish the goal of keeping his love of math. Different people have different goals though, to each their own. I find that doing math in a way we both enjoy not only keeps the love there but means we are doing more math. We are learning though and enjoying it, immensely.

• myblessings4, OneStepAtATime and vonbon like this

#76 Kerileanne99

Kerileanne99

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2251 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

Has anybody tried the Highlights Mathmania magazines? Homeschool Buyer's Coop has a deal with them right now, so I just got my kiddo a subscription.
It says they are marketed at grades 2-6.

https://www.homescho...tm_medium=email
  • soror, Heigh Ho, SeaConquest and 2 others like this

#77 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31010 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

Has anybody tried the Highlights Mathmania magazines? Homeschool Buyer's Coop has a deal with them right now, so I just got my kiddo a subscription.
It says they are marketed at grades 2-6.

https://www.homescho...tm_medium=email

I hadn't seen these.  Interesting!  Thanks for the post and the link, Kerileanne99!

• soror likes this

#78 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12036 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

I haven't seen those either, they look neat.

#79 scrapbabe

scrapbabe

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2541 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

I hadn't seen these.  Interesting!  Thanks for the post and the link, Kerileanne99!

Yes they look super interesting!!  Dang it!!

#80 scrapbabe

scrapbabe

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2541 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:11 PM

Yes, I could have made ds just do the math that he hated anyway. He is actually a very compliant kid, for him to complain is huge, especially this vehemently. I had to consider my goals though and making him plod through the math he hated  and just do it regardless wasn't going to accomplish the goal of keeping his love of math. Different people have different goals though, to each their own. I find that doing math in a way we both enjoy not only keeps the love there but means we are doing more math. We are learning though and enjoying it, immensely.

And there's something to be said for spending quality, fun, learning time together with your child(ren).  I enjoy spending that time "playing" together.  It makes everyone so much happier.  Relationships are just as important to me as learning.

• FO4UR, soror, *Lulu* and 3 others like this

#81 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31010 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:46 PM

DS now wants to have a pretend mortgage and house bills and family emergencies that cost money he has to find resources to cover etc. He would like a set up like the curriculum we will be starting where you run a pet shop (and so would I).  Anyone have any suggestions?  If I weren't already on overload and only getting about 4 hours a night, I could pull this together on my own, but it would be great if there were something already laid out like the pet shop curriculum.  Suggestions?

#82 Kerileanne99

Kerileanne99

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2251 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

DS now wants to have a pretend mortgage and house bills and family emergencies that cost money he has to find resources to cover etc. He would like a set up like the curriculum we will be starting where you run a pet shop (and so would I). Anyone have any suggestions? If I weren't already on overload and only getting about 4 hours a night, I could pull this together on my own, but it would be great if there were something already laid out like the pet shop curriculum. Suggestions?

The first thing that comes to mind is the website (and app!) called TheGreatPiggyBankAdventure.com
It is really cool, and a lot of fun. It even allows kids (in a mythical world) to create portfolios, diversify investments, plan for retirement...and budget finances, plan mortgages, etc.
It is also FREE online:)
They also have a boardgame for playing at home...

http://piggybank.disney.go.com/about/

#83 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12036 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

Oh, that piggybank site looks cool. 

Here is Dave Ramsey's program for kids, Financial Peace Jr., which doesn't seems to work on pretending to be an adult but learning about saving and spending through spending their own money.

Here is a list of various resources:

http://dfi.wa.gov/fi...tors-middle.htm

#84 Beth in Mint Hill

Beth in Mint Hill

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:26 AM

Just curious... Doesn't anyone use Miquon Math anymore? My boys just *loved* the worksheets there.  Of course, I guess this would be more for an organized progression through concepts.

Gramma Beth
(invading from the high school board)

PS: Sorry, I was too hasty... just realized that over on the curriculum board there are plenty of plugs for that--and you are looking more for games and projects here!! :)

#85 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31010 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

Just curious... Doesn't anyone use Miquon Math anymore? My boys just *loved* the worksheets there.  Of course, I guess this would be more for an organized progression through concepts.

Gramma Beth
(invading from the high school board)

PS: Sorry, I was too hasty... just realized that over on the curriculum board there are plenty of plugs for that--and you are looking more for games and projects here!! :)

I bet soror won't mind at all.  Yes, Miquon is still quite popular.  This was just kind of a special thread for getting the spark back for math when circumstances are such that the child is no longer engaged in the subject for whatever reason.  But glad to hear those worksheets were loved!

• soror likes this

#86 Plum Crazy

Plum Crazy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7250 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:51 PM

I'm looking into Montessori Math for dd who is trudging through MM. She's paralyzed by mistakes and tears occur just about every day with math. :(

This site had a lot of ideas for setting up Montessori-style math. They have a number of activities for her to do where she is already given the math facts and is supposed to do something with it. That sounds so much more gentle and relaxed.

I might start another thread just for ideas on how to do Montessori Math. If I get any good links, I'll list them here.

#87 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12036 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:26 AM

Plum Crazy I'm looking forward to seeing what great ideas you come up with!

#88 brownie

brownie

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1242 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:02 AM

We've done chess...both via workbooks and computer software for a break in the past.  We also do competition math and Khan academy.

• soror likes this

#89 Plum Crazy

Plum Crazy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7250 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

I saw this somewhere (probably on Pinterest) and made my own a few weeks back. It combines spelling and counting money. 

It assigns a coin value to each letter. So they spell out a word, find the value and add it up.  

I just printed it out in grayscale and then colored the coins in using metallic pencils, because I'm cheap like that. ;)

• scrapbabe and soror like this

#90 Plum Crazy

Plum Crazy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7250 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

Dd6 is actually enjoying math right now. I printed out the addition slips and made my own Addition Table and we've been practicing her addition. In a few days, I plan to introduce another task. This is so perfect for her. I'll have it out for her to "play" with whenever she wants. ;)

• soror likes this

#91 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12036 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

We've done chess...both via workbooks and computer software for a break in the past.  We also do competition math and Khan academy.

Ds has taken to chess as well, he really enjoys it.

I saw this somewhere (probably on Pinterest) and made my own a few weeks back. It combines spelling and counting money. 

It assigns a coin value to each letter. So they spell out a word, find the value and add it up.  

I just printed it out in grayscale and then colored the coins in using metallic pencils, because I'm cheap like that. ;)

We did a similar activity in the Math for Smarty Pants book, ds really enjoyed it.

Dd6 is actually enjoying math right now. I printed out the addition slips and made my own Addition Table and we've been practicing her addition. In a few days, I plan to introduce another task. This is so perfect for her. I'll have it out for her to "play" with whenever she wants. ;)

I'll have to check this out for my own 6(almost 7 yo, thanks!

We've been doing BA around here. We've read some Sir Circumference books, which we both enjoyed. This week we've started some LoF, I borrowed Honey and JellyBeans from a friend. We're really enjoying it, I'm thinking now it might be a good addition to Math time. I have LoF Fractions at the library I got it via ILL, I'm very excited to pick it up. We'd only done some of Apples before and we both felt rather blah about it but reading some of Honey it seems right in line with how he likes to learn. Depending on what we think of Fractions I might go ahead and start him there or go ahead and go through Honey, Icecream and Jellybeans before heading into the Intermediate books. I'm hopefully that a BA/LoF combo will work well, along with plenty of games and living math books.

#92 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31010 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

Anybody use the game "Sequence"?  We just bought it at a rummage sale for $1, brand new and it looks fun but we haven't tried it yet.  I was curious.

BA still working well here.  We have not started the business math yet.  Planning on doing it over the summer.  The kids are excited, though.

Also, we have been enjoying "The Story of Clocks and Calendars: Marking a Millennium"....

• soror likes this

#93 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12036 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

We don't have Sequence but I've heard rave reviews. We are still working on BA (4A right now) and Life of Fred. Ds loves LoF but I'm rather meh about it. I think we'll be doing BA 4B this summer and continuing with LoF. I've not been crazy about how LoF introduces/teaches some concepts but I like it as a follow-up and review. Ds loves the oddness of it and how it throws random bits in.

#94 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31010 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:18 AM

Bumping this since there are so many great resources here and many are looking for math resources for next year.

• soror likes this

#95 poiema

poiema

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 305 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

Love these ideas! Posting so I can find this thread later.

#96 AuntPol

AuntPol

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1235 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:24 PM

Forgive me if this has been mentioned as I am cooking and not reading each post

At this age, my daughter hit a wall and we watched Cyberchase for about a month. The website had games and printables

#97 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12036 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:46 AM

We've watched some Cyberchase but it has been a while, we'll have to check it out again. We're finishing up BA4A this month. I went through the LoF books I have with him here. Right now I have Fractions coming, ds is excited because he is really enjoying Fred. I don't know if we'll go ahead and start it or wait until the school year starts, depends on him. We've been slacking on games at the moment as we've been winding down the year and working on finishing things off, I hope to start back again soon.

#98 chelsmm

chelsmm

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

I didn't see Math Curse mentioned under books. We read it today and did the problems "for fun", and the kids loved it.

Also for fun geometry- magnatiles can not be beat. My ds loves them.

#99 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11004 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

Do you already own a game for fractions? We got one last year on clearance from Wal-Mart right after "Back to School" supplies were discounted. It's a pizza game.

We have a couple of items at home from this thread, but I didn't realize there were so many out there! We recently got POP for addition/subtraction facts. I was trying to see if they had one for multiplication but I don't see one.

#100 Kerileanne99

Kerileanne99

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2251 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:45 PM

Dragging this fantastic thread out because I received a couple of great games we played all yesterday:)
We are taking a six week road trip/vacation so I have been looking for fun math items that won't take up much room. My dd is currently really interested in fractions and percentages so I found this cool card game called FracTazmic:

http://shop.iseecards.com/aboutus.sc

It can be played at several different levels too.

The cards actually don't look like much...but the Pyramath game was FUN. And it involves all four arithmetic operations.

I have Prime Bomb but we haven't played it yet. If it is anything like the others it will be great.

Anybody have any other ideas for easily-transportable math?
  • soror, Farrar and OneStepAtATime like this