Menu

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hah, that's usually me, but this time I actually read the entire thing page by page. Obviously, I'm avoiding what I need to be doing right now. Any other threads that are this long and eventful that I could waste some time on?

Really, it's usually pretty fun to just read the first and last page of long threads since so many take off in unexpected directions (except for the kilt thing, which is pretty much the go-to derailment -- I always expect a kilt in an opinionated thread). It could be a WTM Forum trivia game: "Match the beginning of these threads to their final pages." Or "Match the kilt picture with the subject of the thread in which is was posted."

Match the beginning thread with these final pages would be AWESOME!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

oh my word... :svengo:

'Break me of a piece of that'

(who can tell which movie that quote is from)

Now I am back to staring again. Must get this picture off my computer :lol:

Seriously, this is the best one I've seen in a while.

Bechamel is actually just a white sauce, not a cheese. Think those vegetarian lasagnas, with the creamy white sauce. (Add cheddar to bechamel and it becomes the kind of sauce you use to make mac cheese. Assuming your mac cheese isn't just cheese on mac, of course.)

I have to agree with pp's though, for me lasagna requires ricotta, or cottage/bechamel in a pinch. Pasta with pizza sauce and mozzerella does not a lasagna make. I will say, though, that it can actually be hard to find a decent ricotta if you don't live somewhere with lots of Italian heritage.

I wonder if the guest heard "lasagna", got an image in her mind, saw the "pizza lasagna", and when it didn't match her mental image decided to go without? That would explain the no dinner thing.

I agree with the bolded part. I've started making my own ricotta--it's so easy (just milk, cream, salt, and lemon juice or white vinegar) and tastes a million times better than common store-bought ricotta.

To the OP, your dd sounds like a very kind girl. On a practical note, you should keep a box of cereal hidden in a safe spot and a hot kilt picture on your hard drive in case of future emergencies like this.

oh my word... :svengo:

'Break me of a piece of that'

(who can tell which movie that quote is from)

Now I have the old Kit Kat commercial song going through my head. "Give me a break, give me a break, Break me off a piece of that Kit Kat bar."

Also, I think the pic looks like the guy's kilt is about to catch fire. I hope it's all wool, as that's more flame retardant.

I think I've somehow failed a test here by thinking these things. Does this mean I'm not in the club?

Well because some people use cereal for a snack. I know if we want snacks, we eat whatever, there isn't a special category we reserve only for snacks. Cereal is quite a commonly used as one. But you've explained that wasn't really the issue, I just wanted to point out that others may not view cereal the way you do.

:iagree: in our house, cereal is a snack food.

Now I have the old Kit Kat commercial song going through my head. "Give me a break, give me a break, Break me off a piece of that Kit Kat bar."

Also, I think the pic looks like the guy's kilt is about to catch fire. I hope it's all wool, as that's more flame retardant.

I think I've somehow failed a test here by thinking these things. Does this mean I'm not in the club?

I dunno but that man in the kilt doesn't have me thinkin very much attall

OK one more time we had popcorn we had apples and oranges cheese crackers lunchmeat There were snacks here why everyone is not seeing I have posted that I don't know there were tons of other stuff plus leftovers.

So... apparently I'm not understanding something. I thought you were upset that the guest didn't eat her supper, but instead snacked on the cereal (and your daughter apparently ate it too).

What was it that bothered you if it wasn't the fact that they ate the cereal? If it was your daughter's behavior (I think that's what you said in the OP) what was it that she did that you thought was wrong? What did you think she should have done instead?

Edited by ereks mom

So... apparently I'm not understanding something. I thought you were upset that the guest didn't eat her supper, but instead snacked on the cereal (and your daughter apparently ate it too).

What was it that bothered you if it wasn't the fact that they ate the cereal? If it was your daughter's behavior (I think that's what you said in the OP) what was it that she did that you thought was wrong? What did you think she should have done instead?

Well considering the girl never left the bedroom I think my daughter should have said you can have popcorn a sandwich some fruit some crackers etc I am sorry I am unreasonable about cereal but my two sons with special needs have to start their day off with a bowl of cold cereal or the world won't work for them and that trumps any guest any time ever.

If you lived with autism you would understand as my daughter does and normally would have never given away her brothers breakfast.

Well considering the girl never left the bedroom I think my daughter should have said you can have popcorn a sandwich some fruit some crackers etc I am sorry I am unreasonable about cereal but my two sons with special needs have to start their day off with a bowl of cold cereal or the world won't work for them and that trumps any guest any time ever.

If you lived with autism you would understand as my daughter does and normally would have never given away her brothers breakfast.

:grouphug: This thread can't be helping you. Go grab a nice cup or coffee/tea and breath.

I think the issues are much deeper than the OP. It's over now.

Maybe make a list of rules for when company is over and have your dd review them. Then she will know for sure the standards for her company to keep.

Don't do it tonight though. Just go love your babies and relax. Or cruise on here.....but not this thread. I think it will just make you more frustrated. :grouphug:

I think your anger is misplaced. *I* get that your food budget is tight and that you have things planned, we've been there. I get that your sons need a routine. However, how did the cereal get to the bedroom? Was your dd trying to be a good hostess and give her guest what she asked for? Did the girl cuss her out and ask for cereal? The guest has no way to know your house rules unless your dd conveys them.

Just because it's never been this way with a guest doesn't mean the girl was out of line in her request. It's called preference and people categorize food differently. We used to have one of ds's friend over quite regularly. He would eat anything and ask for anything. I would remind ds that certain food were snacks for guests and a few certain things were off limits. I had to remind him more than once as the kid liked to peek in the pantry.

I do hope you've been able to discuss the situation with your dd. She may need some guidance in treating a guest preferences with options. A simple statement such as "I have to save the cereal for my brothers, but we have x, y, and z" should have sufficed. I would assume your dd understands the budgeting of your food expenses and it's not just as simple as go buy more cereal.

The other things you listed about this girl shows she's probably not the right sleepover guest for your household. I couldn't stay mad at my own child for trying to be a good hostess, but use this experience as a life lesson.

I think your anger is misplaced. *I* get that your food budget is tight and that you have things planned, we've been there. I get that your sons need a routine. However, how did the cereal get to the bedroom? Was your dd trying to be a good hostess and give her guest what she asked for? Did the girl cuss her out and ask for cereal? The guest has no way to know your house rules unless your dd conveys them.

Just because it's never been this way with a guest doesn't mean the girl was out of line in her request. It's called preference and people categorize food differently. We used to have one of ds's friend over quite regularly. He would eat anything and ask for anything. I would remind ds that certain food were snacks for guests and a few certain things were off limits. I had to remind him more than once as the kid liked to peek in the pantry.

I do hope you've been able to discuss the situation with your dd. She may need some guidance in treating a guest preferences with options. A simple statement such as "I have to save the cereal for my brothers, but we have x, y, and z" should have sufficed. I would assume your dd understands the budgeting of your food expenses and it's not just as simple as go buy more cereal.

The other things you listed about this girl shows she's probably not the right sleepover guest for your household. I couldn't stay mad at my own child for trying to be a good hostess, but use this experience as a life lesson.

:iagree:

So... it was about the cereal--more specifically about the fact that your daughter not only allowed her friend to eat the cereal, but apparently even ate some herself when she knew if was for her brothers. But in answer to your original question, "Am I overreacting?", yes.

Just because it's never been this way with a guest doesn't mean the girl was out of line in her request. It's called preference and people categorize food differently. ...

:grouphug: This thread can't be helping you. Go grab a nice cup or coffee/tea and breath [sic].

I think the issues are much deeper than the OP. It's over now.

Maybe make a list of rules for when company is over and have your dd review them. Then she will know for sure the standards for her company to keep.

Don't do it tonight though. Just go love your babies and relax. Or cruise on here.....but not this thread. I think it will just make you more frustrated. :grouphug:

:iagree: :grouphug:

So... it was about the cereal--more specifically about the fact that your daughter not only allowed her friend to eat the cereal, but apparently even ate some herself when she knew if was for her brothers. But in answer to your original question, "Am I overreacting?", yes.

:iagree: :grouphug:

I think if you read more of the thread you will see that there was a lot more involved and that some of her vibes were right on. You will also see that we've moved on to lasagna recipes and kilts.;)

I think if you read more of the thread you will see that there was a lot more involved and that some of her vibes were right on. You will also see that we've moved on to lasagna recipes and kilts.;)

Well if I have learned anything it is that I don't make lasagna since there is no ricotta cheese LOL :lol: I make pasta and sauce LOL!!!!!!!!!

The cereal was a mild annoyance that compounded everything else and if that was it then I would have been annoyed but it is all over we had a fun night lastnight with ALOT of pizza and it was oh so yummy.

The kilt pic well that was beyond yummy :001_smile:

Well if I have learned anything it is that I don't make lasagna since there is no ricotta cheese LOL :lol: I make pasta and sauce LOL!!!!!!!!!

The cereal was a mild annoyance that compounded everything else and if that was it then I would have been annoyed but it is all over we had a fun night lastnight with ALOT of pizza and it was oh so yummy.

The kilt pic well that was beyond yummy :001_smile:

:grouphug:

The kilt picture was nummy! :tongue_smilie:

When I was a little girl I brought home a stray puppy. My mom didn't let me keep it. I was very upset and couldn't understand my mom not wanting to care for a stray puppy.

I just wanted to derail this thread even more so some innocent person could read the beginning, then the end of this thread and become even more confused.:D

I'm not sure if they like cottage cheese but they LOVE yogurt. Plain, whole milk yogurt.

I wonder if dogs can have a favorite color?

I made it through the whole thread.

My parents never let me keep all the stray puppies I brought home. It was even worse when I got my driver's license and could drive to pick up random animals.

My dog loves yogurt. It's supposed to be good for their coats. I give her a little each day.

and my dog's favorite color is pink. I know this because my favorite color is pink, and we share everything. :D

Oh, and I don't eat lasagna with ricotta cheese either. I hate ricotta cheese. It's so... icky. Although to be fair, the ickiness I speak of isn't the taste really, it's the texture. :ack2::scared:

Speaking of cereal killers, I really need some Lucky Charms. Apparently I've been eating too many bowls lately. :tongue_smilie:But I don't really feel like going to the grocery store...could someone bring some by for me?? :D

OP, if you've had enough of the cereal discussion, you can edit your original post to have an "update" at the bottom, so that folks who just read the first post won't start offering opinions on cereal... There's usually an edit button at the bottom of each of the posts you authored.

Fwiw I made my lasagna tonight and it was delicious. I used my veggie peeler for the zucchini to make thinly sliced long pieces and salted them for an hr, then I blotted out all the moisture I could, my lasagna was not the least watery. I use the outer parts and not the seedy part of the zucchini (the inner part will be chopped for soup or such). My dh who says he hates zucchini with a fiery passion ate a HUGE plateful and wanted seconds but then got distracted (we went to visit his parents). The girls were less impressed but they are not big cheese eaters. You couldn't really taste the zucchini though as thin as it was. I also did a bechamel(which I heavily spiced) sauce and mixed it with the homemade tomato sauce. I had dh make sweet italian sausage w/ beef and pork, which ended up being quite spicy as he put in a bit much of red pepper.

Edited by soror

You bunch of heathen sinners drooling over those kilted men. :D:lol:

I think we need them as our mascots.

Oh, I know, we need a WTM pool with cabana boys who wear kilts!!

We need a WTM men in kilts calendar :svengo: