Menu

OK ladies - it's back to school and Back to Slow Cooker time!

I've got at least one, maybe two nights a week I will NEED to use my handy-dandy slow cooker to have dinner ready when I get back from driving around.

Can we start a thread where everyone posts their favorite recipes for slow cookers? (And. . . preferably NOT with "cream-of-mystery" soup ;))

I should set a good example and post the first recipe, but I've got to get ready for a meeting I'm headed off to. I'll come back later and add one of my favorites.

Thanks in advance!

My favourite is Salsa Chicken. Put in chicken breasts (or any other part you desire) and pour in a jar of salsa. Voila! A yummy meal.

Also, Tortellini--put in half a bag of tortellini with half a jar of spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Cook on low for 2 hrs. Again, yummy.

Pulled Pork

Get a pork butt shoulder roast, stick it in the crock pot in the morning with a little water and 2 envelopes Lipton Onion Soup Mix. Turn it on high for about an hour and then low for the rest of the day! It gets so tender it falls apart. Use it for sandwiches, leftovers for enchiladas or whatever. Yummy!

My favorite recipe is Spicy Chicken and I got it off of either the SL boards or the WTM boards.

3 pounds chicken pieces (I use a package of chicken thighs, but I strip the skin off first)

3 tsp salt

1 tsp thyme

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp paprika

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsp white pepper

1/2 tsp black pepper

Strip the skin off the chicken and place in crockpot. Add all the spices. Mix the chicken and the spices (I use my hands). Put the lid on the crockpot and set it on high for 5-6 hours.

You don't need any liquid for this recipe.

Sticky Chicken is one of our favorites. You can also do this in a dutch oven, but a slow cooker works fine. It's a cheap meal, too.

chicken thighs/drumsticks

1 bottle Catalina dressing

1 jar apple jelly

1 package onion-flavored soup mix

Put chicken in crock pot. Mix together other 3 ingredients and pour over chicken. Put on the lid and cook on low all day.

Amazing and even better the next day if they leave you any leftovers.

I have made this recipe about 100 times.

1.5 - 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs

3/4 c hot salsa

1/4 c peanut butter (380 calories, 32.5 g fat, 4 g fiber)

1 TBS soy sauce or fish sauce

2 TBS lime juice

1 tsp freshly grated ginger

Chopped peanuts for garnish (optional - count points if you do)

Cilantro for garnish

Spray crockpot with Pam. Place chicken in crockpot. Combine salsa, peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice and ginger. Stir well and pour over chicken. Mix well. Cook on low 5-6 hours.

Delicious over brown rice.

My favorite easy crock pot recipe:

2-3 lb chuck roast

1 package Good Seasons (or whatever brand) dry Italian dressing mix

12 oz beer

Cut the roast into 4-5 pieces, put it in the bottom of the crock pot. Sprinkle meat w/ dressing mix and dump in the beer. Cook on low 8-10 hours. Pull meat out and shred. Serve on buns with juice.

Easy and the kids love it. What more can you ask?

Another simple thing I do with the crockpot is throw some chicken pieces in there with a bottle of marinade or dressing, whatever flavor you're in the mood for. Lime vinaigrette is a favorite here, or even just BBQ sauce.

I also do roasts in the crockpot, just a roast [i usually use a rump roast], with veggies and potatoes, maybe 1/2 cup of liquid [usually red wine], and whatever seasonings sound good, on high for an hour or 2, then low for the rest of the day [or if I'm leaving in the morning, high til I'm ready to walk out the door, then low for the rest of the day]; this is just my paranoid self wanting to make sure the meat gets good and hot inside.

I've also done whole chickens with veg/potatoes, lemon slices or lemon juice, and rosemary.

Chili, whatever mix of canned beans I have handy, some canned tomatoes, chili seasonings, maybe some chopped onion, green pepper, etc. On low all day.

My sister has a good recipe for sloppy joe's I need to dig up.

OK ladies - it's back to school and Back to Slow Cooker time!

I've got at least one, maybe two nights a week I will NEED to use my handy-dandy slow cooker to have dinner ready when I get back from driving around.

Can we start a thread where everyone posts their favorite recipes for slow cookers? (And. . . preferably NOT with "cream-of-mystery" soup ;))

I should set a good example and post the first recipe, but I've got to get ready for a meeting I'm headed off to. I'll come back later and add one of my favorites.

Thanks in advance!

Might check out the Year of Slow Cooking blog. I just stumbled across it looking for recipes.

Apple Dump Cake

Get out the crockpot or slow cooker and use your clean fingers to grease the sides and bottom real good with a dab of butter...

Dump in 2 cans of apple pie filling.

Dump in a box of spice cake mix.*You can spread it out some DON'T stir it or mix the layers!

Dump 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1/4 cup brown sugar and chopped up nuts on top of that.

(Are you beginning to see why it's called a "Dump" cake?)
Finally, cover the whole top with a stick of butter cut into thin layers, put the lid on and let it cook for about 3 hours.

Serve it up warm with a big dollop of whipped cream & enjoy!

I've made this with white cake and cherry filling and that is yummy too!

Pulled Pork

Pork Tenderloin

2 cans of root beer.

Cook until it is done. Then, drain off fat and root beer and pull it apart. You can serve w/ or w/o the BBQ sauce mixed it. I swear it does not taste like root beer.

There is a lady at our chrch that uses cans of CocaCola instead of root beer. Pork tenderloin, ham, chicken... we have had it all cooked in Coke. Amazing flavor and it doen't taste like soda at all. The meat is a darker color than one would expect but the taste makes you forget it.

serves 6

Ingredients:

1/2- 1 lb ground meat (I like to use spicy lean ground turkey)

2 large potatoes, chopped

2 onions, chopped

4 carrots, sliced

10 ounces chicken stock

1 large can diced tomatoes, undrained (I usually fresh and it works)

1 Tbsp dried dill, or 2 Tbsps fresh dill

1/2 tsp caraway seed

1/2 tsp celery seed (I use about 2-3 stalks of fresh)

pepper to taste

4 cups cabbage, coarsely chopped

1/2 stick butter

1/4 cup fresh parsley coarsely chopped, or 2 Tbsp dried parsley

1-2 Tbsp minced garlic

Directions:

1. In a large skillet, brown meat over med-high heat; drain off any fat, and place in crock pot.
  2. Add the potatoes to the crock pot, along with onions, garlic, carrots, chicken stock, tomatoes, dill, caraway seed, celery seeds, and pepper.
  3. Cover crock pot and cook on LOW heat for 7-1/2 hours.
  4. After the 7 hours of cooking, add in the cabbage, parsley and butter, pushing the cabbage down into the liquid; cook for another 30-60 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.

Cream Cheese Chicken (from here I think) part of our rotation, boys eat it up

2-3 # boneless chicken breasts/tenderize with fork prior to adding to crockpot

1 pkg Good Season's Italian Dressing Packet

1 can cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup

1/3 c water

8 oz sliced mushrooms (optional)

1 tsp minced garlic

1 8oz bar cream cheese ( i use low fat and it works out)

Place all but cream cheese in crockpot for 4-6h on low, add chunked cream cheese during the last hour, serve over noodles or rice

Russian Chicken (similar to sticky chicken)

2-3 # bonelss chicken breasts/tenderize with fork prior to adding to crockpot

1 small bottle Russian Dressing

1 pkg onion soup mix

1 jar apricot preserves

Place all into crockpot for 4-6h on low, serve over rice or noodles

Taco Soup

1 # ground beef browned with 1 chopped onion and drained

1 can black beans rinsed/drained

1 can chili beans - we use mild

1 can corn

1 can diced tomatoes - seasoned or unseasoned

2 pkg taco seasoning or equivalent

1 1/2 qt V-8 juice

dash or two of lime juice

dash or two of hot sauce

Cook on low 3-4 hours serve with cheese, chips, sourcream

Italian Beef

2-3 # rump roast

1/2 jar pepperocini juice

5-6 perpperocinis

2 tsp minced garlic

2 pkg au jus seasoning

4 cups water

Cook on low 6 hours, the longer the better on this one, shred and simmer longer. I usually do this the day before or overnight, shred in the morning and let it simmer during the day for that night's dinner

Crockpot Lasagna this makes alot

1 # hamburger browned/rinsed and drained

1/2#-1# Italian sausage browned/rinsed and drained

1 ½ chopped onion

* cook above together

12 oz tomato paste (2-6oz cans)

½ c – 1 c water

2 tsp minced garlic

16 oz pasta

12 oz shredded mozzarella

¼ c parmesan cheese

16 oz cottage cheese

2 cans seasoned diced tomatoes - undrained

1 can diced tomatoes – undrained

Dash or two of salt, several of pepper

1 ½ tsp italian seasoning

Add above, mixed to greased crock pot, bake 3-4 hours on high.

Beefy Mushroom Roast

1 can Beefy Mushroom Soup

8 oz halved fresh mushrooms

1 Chuck Roast, Goose Breast, Venison Roast/Stew Meat

½ can water

1-2 tsp minced garlic

1 chopped onion/large pieces

Place above in crockpot and cook on low 6 hours, high 4 hours. Serve over noodles or mashed potatoes.

Also try www.crockpot365.blogspot.com for more ideas

Cream Cheese Chicken (from here I think) part of our rotation, boys eat it up

2-3 # boneless chicken breasts/tenderize with fork prior to adding to crockpot

1 pkg Good Season's Italian Dressing Packet

1 can cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup

1/3 c water

8 oz sliced mushrooms (optional)

1 tsp minced garlic

1 8oz bar cream cheese ( i use low fat and it works out)

Place all but cream cheese in crockpot for 4-6h on low, add chunked cream cheese during the last hour, serve over noodles or rice

I do one similar EXCEPT:

Put chicken in crock pot with 1/3 cup cooking sherry

Add Italian dressing mix.

Cook 4-6 hrs

Add chunked cream cheese and cook additional 20 ish minutes. Done

Really good and no 'cream of____' soup.

I use my crock pot about once a week, and my most-used recipe is beef roast. Several pps have already posted recipes similar to what I use. However, I wanted to share this honey chicken recipe. It is delicious over rice!! I've got to run now and get ready for school tomorrow (and then GO TO BED!!), but I'll try to come back and post a few more recipes we really like.

I love Beth Hensperger's "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker" series (there are four books, I think). Some recipes are a little more work than using flavor packets and cream-of-whatever soup, but it's still pretty quick. She often adds little extras that make a big difference. Instead of just salsa chicken, her recipe adds 1 tbsp lime juice or white wine and then you add some goat cheese or provolone at the end. My DH normall hates goat cheese, but that salsa chicken recipe is a favorite.

Just wanted to say thanks! I just finished compiling these (ok, well - all but the one I knew my family would. not. eat) and there are TWENTY-FOUR recipes!

And b/c I'm in lesson planning mode, I'm thinking. . . "Gee, that would be two different crock pot meals for 12 weeks"

Should I print the recipes and file them in my file folders? :svengo:

Thanks again - this has been great.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Potato-Bake/Detail.aspx

This recipe is for the oven but I make it in the crock pot. I can't do milk/soy right now because of my nursing baby's sensitivities so I don't do the parmesan and I make the Italian dressing from scratch. I serve this meal with peas (don't add the peas to the crock pot. They get mushy)

My favourite is Salsa Chicken. Put in chicken breasts (or any other part you desire) and pour in a jar of salsa. Voila! A yummy meal.

Also, Tortellini--put in half a bag of tortellini with half a jar of spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Cook on low for 2 hrs. Again, yummy.

how long do you cook the salsa chicken for? i'm doing this tonight!

I use my crock pot about once a week, and my most-used recipe is beef roast. Several pps have already posted recipes similar to what I use. However, I wanted to share this honey chicken recipe. It is delicious over rice!! I've got to run now and get ready for school tomorrow (and then GO TO BED!!), but I'll try to come back and post a few more recipes we really like.

oh~!!! hmmm salsa chicken or honey chicken--yummo.

Teriyaki chicken

Boneless chicken breast, cut into strips or cubes

teriyaki sauce

sliced carrots

pineapple chunks (fresh or canned)

sliced green pepper (optional)

cook on low 6-8 hrs and then serve over rice, and add chow mein noodles (the crunchy kind) if you like them

• 4 weeks later...

I really liked this thread as it has inspired me, along with the cooler weather (finally), to find some yummy fall recipes for the crock pot. So, here is one of my families favorites. Even my picky little eater likes it.

Easy Crock Pot Minestrone

1 lb. ground turkey

1 medium onion, chopped

2 16 oz. cans petite diced tomatoes

1 16 oz. can tomato sauce

4- 6 cups water

4 beef bouillon cubes

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 1/2 italian seasoning

1 can white beans drained and rinsed

1 bag of frozen mixed veggies about 4-6 cups

1-2 cups chopped celery

Any other veggies on hand

1-2 pkgs. cheese totellini

Put all liquid ingredients and bouillon cubes in crock pot to start warming. In skillet brown ground turkey and onions. Add to crock pot. Add remaining ingredients (except tortellini) and mix well. I heat this on high one hour and then let it cook the rest of the day on low. One hour before dinner add the tortellini. I usually serve this with cornbread or home made bread. Enjoy!