Menu

Can someone explain the Miss California thing to me?

My DH and I were watching the news last night and there was something on about whether Miss California was going to have her crown taken away because she posed for some racy photos. DH expressed wonder that they would take her crown away, when winning the crown in the first place meant walking around on a stage in a tiny little bikini.

It does seem odd to me. Are contestants not allowed to have posed at all? Or are they not allowed to have posed for racy photos? What's the rule? And why, since the show itself is extremely sexually provocative? I am not trying to start an argument about whether pageants are good or bad. I'm sure she's a very very talented woman. It just seems sort of strange to ask a woman to walk in front of a large crowd almost naked and then take her crown because she posed in much the same state of undress ......

During the Miss America (maybe??) contest she took a stand for traditional marriage as that was how she was raised and what she believed as a Christian. She drew the ire of a specific judge and, according to many, that is the reason she did not win the pagent. Since then her beliefs and stance, it seems, have made her a target and many she represents believe she should have her crown taken away.

Honestly, I just don't get it myself. :confused: But I guess that's the reason I'm not a beauty queen. :D

I'm pretty sure you are talking about two different people. The woman who made the comments about traditional marriage did not win the state pagent if my memory serves me correctly. She was the runner up. Interesting though if the winner is disqualified she wins right?

Miss California is the one that answered the marriage question at the Miss America Pageant. Personally, I think she was set up by that Judge, but he does that a lot. Anyway.....according to that Judge her answer is why she was runner up and not Miss America. Kinda amazing to think that she made it to the final group with him as a Judge...but he may have done it just to do exactly what he did. scary.

Of course, this started a media frenzy, and the media started digging into her life to find more to write about. She's a model and apparently posed in undies with her hands covering her chest. Those are the racy photos that she says they're trying to ruin her reputation with.

There are more details here:

http://www.usmagazine.com/news/miss-california-nude-pics-trying-to-undermine-my-reputation-200955

Frankly, my opinion is that that nasty judge is the one that should be villified not this lady. But...he does have the reputation for putting people ont he spot and trying to do exactly what he did to her.....so shame on her for not knowing her judge's better and realizing that since she's been outspoken about her Christianity and he is so anti-Christian that she was likely to be his target. I still think she had every right to say what she believed....unfortunately because of this judge bringing his own personal politics into the situation she lost first place....but runner up is still pretty amazing.

Anyone remember Vanessa Williams and her losing the Miss America crown because of her racy photos. The media has several times tried to make the two seem connected, but there is a HUGE difference. Williams' photos were of her seemingly performing a s** act on another woman....a little hard to explain that away as you would a model in her undies with her chest covered. Williams says she was young and naive and didn't realize how the photo would look....ummm yeah, right.

It is the same person. Miss Carrie Prejean had the absolute gall, the unmitigated arrogance...etc to answer truthfully a politically loaded question. When a certain group took offense that anybody could actually believe that marriage is a man and a woman she was attacked across the board as being a hate monger, a xxxphobe, you name it.

The photograph that I saw was taken from the back and showed nothing, there may be others I do not know.

Edited by pqr

She was the runner up for Miss America, but she WAS Miss California. I don't understand how someone could claim to have such traditional beliefs about marriage would pose topless. I'm sorry, but that seems hypocritical to me.

Yes, Perez Hilton is not the best example of what humanity has to offer, and of course the answer she gave would make him mad. (He is out as a gay man). He has the right to be offended. Honestly, if she had provided better REASONS for her beliefs she might have impressed the judges more. She said "No offense to anyone out there..." When has ANYONE ever said that without knowing they're going to piss people off?

But that said, Perez is ONE judge. Sure he likely voted her down, and he had that right as a judge. But he was not the only judge. She might have been runner-up anyway.

She won the STATE crown, and that is what crown they are trying to remove, correct?

I agree it is all silly. All of it.

Apparently the state of California pagaent has a clause in the contract they sign that says they never posed nude or partially nude....and she signed that she had not. Now they're trying to hold that against her to take away her state crown (I don't think I've read they're trying to take away her runner up Miss America title are they?). Of course I don't know enough about Miss America contest...if she is removed as Miss California would she automatically disqualify as runner up Miss America?

I think the problem stems not from her answer to the question but to the fact that there is a morals clause in the contract she signed for the contest. The contract specifically asked the question of whether she had EVER posed nude or partially nude in any photos and she wrote NO. She signed the contract with false information and now that the photos have come out, they are embarassing the pagent. I understand the photos. She lied on the contract. They don't feel she should serve the state of California because of this. She probably would not have been permitted to compete if they knew the truth up front. Now it is coming back to bite her in the rear end.

She was the runner up for Miss America, but she WAS Miss California. I don't understand how someone could claim to have such traditional beliefs about marriage would pose topless. I'm sorry, but that seems hypocritical to me.

Yes, Perez Hilton is not the best example of what humanity has to offer, and of course the answer she gave would make him mad. (He is out as a gay man). He has the right to be offended. Honestly, if she had provided better REASONS for her beliefs she might have impressed the judges more. She said "No offense to anyone out there..." When has ANYONE ever said that without knowing they're going to piss people off?

But that said, Perez is ONE judge. Sure he likely voted her down, and he had that right as a judge. But he was not the only judge. She might have been runner-up anyway.

Come on.

She said "in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that’s how I was raised and that’s how I think it should be between a man and a woman".

For a beauty pagent, not generally noted as the pinacle of intellectual thought, that is a fair answer.

It was a hatchet job on her. There were 7 judges. 1 judge cetainly makes a huge difference.

.... and No he has no right to be offended. He asked a loaded question and received an honest answer. She was not disrespectful, evidenced no disdain at the question and offered no rude comments.

P. Hilton has proceeded to call her the most vile names imaginable (google it) and demonstrated, to many, that Prejean, for all her faults has far more class than the individual who judged her. He is a true cretin.

Edited by pqr

The photograph that I saw was taken from the back and showed nothing, there may be others I do not know.

and although I'm not condoning it, I see much racier photos walking past Victoria's Secret and Abercrombie and Fitch at the mall. You're right, it didn't show anything more than what the bikini competition reveals.

The photos were topless. At least not frontal. Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I've seen the same or worse at the local mall. I don't really consider the photos more revealing than the bikinis the contestants wear.

I'm pretty sure you are talking about two different people. The woman who made the comments about traditional marriage did not win the state pagent if my memory serves me correctly. She was the runner up. Interesting though if the winner is disqualified she wins right?

She was runner up in the Miss America paegent. She is the reigning Miss California.

Come on.

She said "in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that’s how I was raised and that’s how I think it should be between a man and a woman".

For a beauty pagent, not generally noted as the pinacle of intellectual thought, that is a fair answer.

It was a hatchet job on her. There were 7 judges. 1 judge cetainly makes a huge difference.

.... and No he has no right to be offended. He asked a loaded question and received an honest answer. She was not disrespectful, evidenced no disdain at the question and offered no rude comments.

P. Hilton has proceeded to call her the most vile names imaginable (google it) and demonstrated, to many, that Prejean, for all her faults has far more class than the individual who judged her. He is a true cretin.

Well, as I said, he is not known to be a reasonable person. I don't need to google it, I can imagine.

BUT, yes, I do believe he has the right to be offended, and I do NOT believe it was a loaded question. Why shouldn't two people of the same sex be married? Is there any evidence that she gave ANY thought to this? I'm sorry, but "That's how I was raised" is not a thoughtful answer.

If someone told you 'Sorry, I was raised to believe you should have no right to be married your husband because of who he is,' would you not be offended? Wouldn't you want to know more about the upbringing of the person who said that? Wouldn't you want to know WHY she was raised to believe that? What rationale is there for this sort of thinking?

Edited by OH_Homeschooler

Two "disclaimers" up top. One, I could care less who wins the Miss California, or Miss USA contests. I think they are inherently degrading spectacles and I wish they would fade away. Second, I fully support what I believe is a Constitutional right of same-sex couples to marry.

That said, I think PQR is correct, the contest was a "political hatchet job."

If you stack the "jury" with people with agendas, and then judge contestants on how they come down on hot-button social issues you turn an already unseemly event into an even more unseemly "show trial". And "winners" are simply those who conform to the "party-line", whatever that party-line happens to be.

I detest this sort of thing either way. Miss Prejean has a right to express her opinion, but the question and the judge's response, to me, seemed highly out of place.

There is, evidently, a clause in the contract that a contestant declare they have never taken nude or semi-nude photos. This is true. But it is also true that producer of the show paid for her to have a boob-job, and then paraded her (and all the other contestants) around on a stage in a very similar state of undress, and piped the event into our nations homes (well not mine, I wasn't watching ;)).

What hypocrisy! The whole show is about capitalizing on sexuality. I wish these shows would just go away.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Well, as I said, he is not known to be a reasonable person. I don't need to google it, I can imagine.

BUT, yes, I do believe he has the right to be offended, and I do NOT believe it was a loaded question. Why shouldn't two people of the same sex be married? Is there any evidence that she gave ANY thought to this? I'm sorry, but "That's how I was raised" is not a thoughtful answer.

If someone told you 'Sorry, I was raised to believe you should have no right to be married your husband because of who he is,' would you not be offended?

No I would not be offended, being male I would be extremely confused as I have a beautiful wife not a husband. If someone wanted to believe that ,or was raised with that view, that I could not marry my wife, I would pity them but not be offended. I do not get offended by disagreement, only those who can not hold their own in a debate do that.

It is the failure by some parts to accept that others honestly disagree with them that is amazing. I am not offended that you and I obviously disagree on the issue of marriage. I will not call you names or anything of the sort. I believe you are wrong and can argue far more on the issue than simply how I was raised, but will not belittle you for your opinions.

Further, expecting a thoughtful answer at a beauty pageant would be like expecting Hilton to behave like a gentleman. What Prejean gave was as good as one might hope for and what Hilton said certainly made no points for those who support his agenda.

Given Prop 9 in California and the rage it has raised, there can be no debate that when a homosexual advocate raises the issue at a pagent that it was a loaded question. What did he think she would say? If he knew then why raise the issue?

Edited by pqr

The contract specifically asked the question of whether she had EVER posed nude or partially nude in any photos and she wrote NO. She signed the contract with false information and now that the photos have come out, they are embarassing the pagent.

I understand that he pageant want's a clean image and I know there are morality requirements. I don't know much about pageants though, but it just seems odd to me (and even odder to DH, who was the one who really raised this question) that they would be embarrassed by partially nude photos, but not by a stream of partially nude live woman on their stage. Doesn't that just seem hypocritical?

Two "disclaimers" up top. One, I could care less who wins the Miss California, or Miss USA contests. I think they are inherently degrading spectacles and I wish they would fade away. Second, I fully support what I believe is a Constitutional right of same-sex couples to marry.

If you stack the "jury" with people with agendas, and then judge contestants on how they come down on hot-button social issues you turn an already unseemly event into an even more unseemly "show trial". And "winners" are simply those who conform to the "party-line", whatever that party-line happens to be.

I detest this sort of thing either way. Miss Prejean has a right to express her opinion, but the question and the judge's response to me seemed highly out of place.

There is, evidently, a clause in the contract that a contestant declare they have never taken nude or semi-nude photos. This is true. But it is also true that producer of the show paid for her to have a boob-job, and then paraded her (and all the other contestants) around on a stage in a very similar state of undress, and piped the event into our nations homes (well not mine, I wasn't watching ;)).

What hypocrisy! The whole show is about capitalizing on sexuality. I wish these show would just go away.

Bill

Oh hey, I almost totally agreed with everything you said. The Miss California people/producers came off looking the worse.

I'm sorry, but "That's how I was raised" is not a thoughtful answer.

Gotta agree with this not being a thoughtful answer....and actually it's a scary answer.

Can you imagine for a minute if my parents' generation had kept to that mentality? The Civil Rights movement would not exist. I'm not sure I would want to live in that world (then again, if we all kept that same mentality, we wouldn't think it was a wrong way to think! That's scary).

I am trying to raise my children to think things through before deciding how they feel about any issue......whether it's that strawberry is the best ice cream flavor or whether it's on the issue of whether a marriage is one man and one woman or simply between two people. I don't want them to agree or disagree with an answer simply because that is what their siblings, friends, or even their parents think. But I also want them to be able to defend WHY strawberry is the greatest flavor on earth, lol. Otherwise, they need to be prepared to be questioned intensely about it. We actually come up with questions like the ice cream flavor in order to make them think of reasons better than "I like it" or "it's pink". This generation is having to defend their way of thinking much more so than even my own generation, let alone my parents or grandparents generation.

And....these contestants supposedly rehearse and practice how to answer the possible questions that will asked of them....now this may not have been one they rehearsed, but I guarantee you next year it will practiced by every single contestant! Just like politicians rehearse possible questions that will be posed for them so that they aren't caught off guard, she really should have some idea of what she wanted to say in a much more comprehensive and intelligent answer. Yes, most people think pageant contestants are airheads, but most have or are getting a college degree, so they aren't total airheads. They may not have a classical education under their belt, but they aren't 8th grade dropouts either.

That said, I can't imagine how I'd have answered that same question standing there in the spotlights with literally millions watching and waiting for my answer, knowing that the Miss America crown was in reach (which presumably she worked hard to reach that point and it was uber important to her). I get nervous enough and can't explain myself well just talking to a large group of friends, lol. I do much better either in a small group where I don't feel pressure, or I what I really like is on the computer where I can type out my opinion, improve on it, and even change it before anyone gets to read it, lol.

But....had she been able to intelligently defend her position, like some on this board have done on this issue.....would she still have been villified? Probably, as this is one of those questions where you can't really be in the middle, so it's a very volilatile question that you can't possibly please both sides with an answer. Same for abortion, creation/evolution, and a whole host of issues. It divides the population too strongly.

I wonder if any changes will be made to the questions asked in future paegants. For that matter, I wonder if these questions are known to the organizers ahead of time, or if Hilton sprung it on everyone. I guess in a way it surprises me that he'd be a judge.....I haven't watched these shows since I was a teen wishing I could look like that....but I recall the judges panel to be people that impressed me. He does not. Maybe I'm just old.

Gotta agree with this not being a thoughtful answer....and actually it's a scary answer.

Can you imagine for a minute if my parents' generation had kept to that mentality? The Civil Rights movement would not exist. I'm not sure I would want to live in that world (then again, if we all kept that same mentality, we wouldn't think it was a wrong way to think! That's scary).

I am trying to raise my children to think things through before deciding how they feel about any issue......whether it's that strawberry is the best ice cream flavor or whether it's on the issue of whether a marriage is one man and one woman or simply between two people. I don't want them to agree or disagree with an answer simply because that is what their siblings, friends, or even their parents think. But I also want them to be able to defend WHY strawberry is the greatest flavor on earth, lol. Otherwise, they need to be prepared to be questioned intensely about it. We actually come up with questions like the ice cream flavor in order to make them think of reasons better than "I like it" or "it's pink". This generation is having to defend their way of thinking much more so than even my own generation, let alone my parents or grandparents generation.

And....these contestants supposedly rehearse and practice how to answer the possible questions that will asked of them....now this may not have been one they rehearsed, but I guarantee you next year it will practiced by every single contestant! Just like politicians rehearse possible questions that will be posed for them so that they aren't caught off guard, she really should have some idea of what she wanted to say in a much more comprehensive and intelligent answer. Yes, most people think pageant contestants are airheads, but most have or are getting a college degree, so they aren't total airheads. They may not have a classical education under their belt, but they aren't 8th grade dropouts either.

That said, I can't imagine how I'd have answered that same question standing there in the spotlights with literally millions watching and waiting for my answer, knowing that the Miss America crown was in reach (which presumably she worked hard to reach that point and it was uber important to her). I get nervous enough and can't explain myself well just talking to a large group of friends, lol. I do much better either in a small group where I don't feel pressure, or I what I really like is on the computer where I can type out my opinion, improve on it, and even change it before anyone gets to read it, lol.

But....had she been able to intelligently defend her position, like some on this board have done on this issue.....would she still have been villified? Probably, as this is one of those questions where you can't really be in the middle, so it's a very volilatile question that you can't possibly please both sides with an answer. Same for abortion, creation/evolution, and a whole host of issues. It divides the population too strongly.

I wonder if any changes will be made to the questions asked in future paegants. For that matter, I wonder if these questions are known to the organizers ahead of time, or if Hilton sprung it on everyone. I guess in a way it surprises me that he'd be a judge.....I haven't watched these shows since I was a teen wishing I could look like that....but I recall the judges panel to be people that impressed me. He does not. Maybe I'm just old.

True enough. I thought it was a weak answer as well but like PQR said, can't really expect too much.

How did Perez Hilton manage to land that job as a judge? He is known for being mean. I don't see how anyone thought he would make a good judge. It's not like he advanced his cause or the dialogue by calling Miss California a ****. That wasn't a particularly thoughtful repost.

Why couldn't Tim Gunn have been a judge?

I detest this sort of thing either way. Miss Prejean has a right to express her opinion, but the question and the judge's response, to me, seemed highly out of place.

What hypocrisy! The whole show is about capitalizing on sexuality. I wish these shows would just go away.

Bill

:iagree::iagree::iagree: (except for the same-sex marriage part)

AND I believe I read somewhere that she attends San Diego Christian College (a conservative, evangelical college of the SBC), which, of course, would be in her application. SOOOOO....out of all the questions to ask, he picks the one from California (where they voted down gay marriage) who attends a conservative Christian college to ask about gay marriage? And we are supposed to believe it wasn't a set-up? PUH-LEASE.

I think the whole competition and beauty pageants in general should be done away with.

I haven't read all the responses. While there is controversy on her gay marriage statements, this is a contract issue with the pageant. She signed a contract that stated she would not and had not previously posed nude. She had posed nude and knew she had when she signed the contract. The photos shown on the news this morning were clearly in violation of her contract. I saw a I statement from her that sounded like a but, but, but I was young and didn't know what I was doing excuse for her behavior. The thing is she knew the pics were out there and she still signed her contract.

This is the exact same issue that cause Vanessa Williams relinquish the Miss America crown when she was the first black Miss America many years ago. The controversy over her gay marriage opinions don't matter. They've taken away crowns before over this same thing. Now, it may be that the pics surfaced because the person who had them did like what the girl was saying, but why the pictures surfaced doesn't matter. And really anyone should know that nude photos will surface if you have any notoriety, so don't pose nude.

I think the problem stems not from her answer to the question but to the fact that there is a morals clause in the contract she signed for the contest. The contract specifically asked the question of whether she had EVER posed nude or partially nude in any photos and she wrote NO. She signed the contract with false information and now that the photos have come out, they are embarassing the pagent. I understand the photos. She lied on the contract. They don't feel she should serve the state of California because of this. She probably would not have been permitted to compete if they knew the truth up front. Now it is coming back to bite her in the rear end.

I'm genuinely curious (and I'm not just picking on your comment, Linda--you were the first to state it from this angle!) if people believe she's being singled out because of her comments on a politically charged issue. With 50+ young women in the pagent, were all of them scruitinized to this level and she's the only one with racy pictures in her background? Or was she scrutinized because she made it so far? Or was it because she ticked off the wrong people? Or, hummm, so many other options come to mind. Do you think that, had she made an acceptable answer to the judge (Hilton?), she would not be fighting the battle of the pics now, whether she won or came in second?

Disclaimer: I did not watch it, have never heard of her until this "scandal" and really wish pagents would go away! :) However, I'm just finding it hard to believe that with all of the young ladies involved in the pagent only one had questionable pictures in her past. :001_huh:

It's not just the issue of the picture. She also violated the terms of her contract which specifically state that they may NOT make any public appearances as the (fill-in-the-title) holder without prior approval of the pageant officials.

Apparently, she has made several such appearances without their prior approval.

And the picture, even though you can't see her breasts is still most definitely a "semi-nude posing" which is verbotten, no matter how long before the pageant you did it. They specifically ask "have you EVER posed nude or semi-nude for photographs, film, portraiture or other media?"

So... you can cry that she's being persecuted for her views, but her legal infractions are very clear and straightforward. She broke her contractual obligations, and she lied in her initial application.

It's not just the issue of the picture. She also violated the terms of her contract which specifically state that they may NOT make any public appearances as the (fill-in-the-title) holder without prior approval of the pageant officials.

Apparently, she has made several such appearances without their prior approval.

And the picture, even though you can't see her breasts is still most definitely a "semi-nude posing" which is verbotten, no matter how long before the pageant you did it. They specifically ask "have you EVER posed nude or semi-nude for photographs, film, portraiture or other media?"

So... you can cry that she's being persecuted for her views, but her legal infractions are very clear and straightforward. She broke her contractual obligations, and she lied in her initial application.

The producers obviously want an "exclusive" on her semi-nude appearances :lol:

I love working in Hollywood :D

Bill

...And the picture, even though you can't see her breasts is still most definitely a "semi-nude posing" which is verbotten, no matter how long before the pageant you did it. They specifically ask "have you EVER posed nude or semi-nude for photographs, film, portraiture or other media?"...

Well darn-it all! I guess those nekkie baby pics my mom took of me so many years ago will prevent me from competing next year. And I was so looking forward to it. :lol::lol:

Me, too. It's been more than a quarter of a century since I paid attention to pageants, so I had no idea pageant officials were now paying for the contestants to get boob jobs.

Oh yea, they do that now. Gives 'em a sense of "ownership" :lol:

With 50+ young women in the pagent, were all of them scruitinized to this level and she's the only one with racy pictures in her background? Or was she scrutinized because she made it so far? Or was it because she ticked off the wrong people? Or, hummm, so many other options come to mind. Do you think that, had she made an acceptable answer to the judge (Hilton?), she would not be fighting the battle of the pics now, whether she won or came in second?

I agree, and now that they are digging into her parents divorce records to smear her even more makes it clear that is is more than just 'contract violations'.........it's really sad that it's gotten to the point that a person will be vilified and smeared for having an opinion that goes against what the media deems right.

Come on.

:iagree:

Oh yea, they do that now. Gives 'em a sense of "ownership" :lol:

You mean that since I've not had any surgery, I don't own these puppies?

Ok...will the real owner please come get them....they're too heavy I don't want them anymore. :lol::lol::tongue_smilie:

You mean that since I've not had any surgery, I don't own these puppies?

Ok...will the real owner please come get them....they're too heavy I don't want them anymore. :lol::lol::tongue_smilie:

Gives the show organizers a sense of ""ownership", not the contestants, silly :lol:

You are stuck with 'em :D

Bill

For Perez Hilton. I try to stay far away from celebrity gossip shows and columns. I had never heard of Hilton and initially assumed he was some low rent sibling of Paris Hilton.

Having looked him up, he is far worse. I frankly don't understand his association with the pagent at all. And I find his stance that there is nothing wrong with him "outing" celebrities rather disgusting.

So once again putting the pagent industry and Perez Hilton into the mental backwater they richly deserve.