Menu

WOW...has anyone *seen* Strayor Upton Practical Aritmetics?

paulcindy

All I can say is "WOW". So "this" is the way math used to be taught?? I cannot believe the difference between today's math, and the math taught back then.

These books are HARD. And the first book starts in Grade 3!! I love how it teaches mental math with all the word problems, continuously reviews concepts, and gets right down to basics.

This is the math program we are using!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone use that Sytematics Math program after this? I bought these books at www.systemath.com.

All I can say is "WOW". So "this" is the way math used to be taught?? I cannot believe the difference between today's math, and the math taught back then.

These books are HARD. And the first book starts in Grade 3!! I love how it teaches mental math with all the word problems, continuously reviews concepts, and gets right down to basics.

This is the math program we are using!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone use that Sytematics Math program after this? I bought these books at www.systemath.com.

I have the first book, maybe I should revisit it.:)

I was not able to find samples. A friend of mine had the book, and I briefly looked through hers. So I ordered book one and two.

Anyone else able to find samples of this math???

Even my husband loves this math. He said "You know math never changes. Math is is Math. And this book from the 1930's is the way Math should have always been taught, and it is not dumbed down".

Even though the book says Grade 3, it is challenging!!! Most of it my dd and I will review and work through orally. Especially those word problems. And the Grade 4 one as well, since there is SO much information on how to do the problems that just make so much sense. Then just move into the Grade 5 book, which I needed help with myself. But I am not a Math whiz, so I am re-learning Math all over again :-)

I was shocked to see "why" a problem had the answer it did. It was like "OOOOHHHH, I get it now!!!, so THAT'S why, or THAT is how you figure that out......" It is like, DUH. Like I had a math breakthrough or something....LOL.

I love it. I have always been a fan of old fashioned texbooks, as I think education was much more solid way back when. And this is a no frills, bare bones, plain Arithmetic Book. But one that will make you THINK.

Edited by paulcindy

I have used them since 3rd grade with my 12yr dd and this year in 6th grade she blazed through CD basic math and has begun LOF beginning algebra along with the third book in the PM series. My son began this year, 3rd grade with it.

With my dd I have found that word problems, fractions, and math thinking have been 'no sweat' for her. They are just second nature with no problem. I contribute her ease with these kind of problems to the PM books. Being my first child, I would supplement with other stuff, but looking back, supplementing was not necessary. I will not supplement with my son.

The short daily lessons are great too. You can go as fast as you want. I wouldn't always make her do all the problems, but would pick and choose and if she got them right, we would move on.

This is just MHO and my experience. They are great and cheap!;)

Tani

My elementary math experience was with Strayer-Upton. IMO, however, I learned mere algorithms without much understanding of the actual process. In the days of computers and calculators, understanding is of more paramount importance than algorithms.

Hmmm, Snow White that is interesting. I am very "un" mathematically inclined, and after reading these math books, numbers finally started to make sense to me and the "why's" of math.

And back in the 30's there were no calculators or electronic gadgets to help out.

What makes me laugh is when computers are down, and kids cannot even make change in their head:confused:

Cindy,

I am currently using both of these programs with my boys. I have loved the 'systematic' approach to math that these offer. My oldest began Systematic math in his 7th grade year and he is now close to finishing up the Algebra modules; which when done will have covered all the way through Algebra II. The really neat thing is the understanding and retention of what has been learned. I switched him over from Saxon because he wasn't retaining the understanding of WHY he was able to work the problem a particular way to get the right answer. I remember him saying once when asked why he did something a certain way. . "I don't know (heavy with attitude)! I just know that if I do this to that I get the right answer!" Well, that was not a good enough answer for me. So we switched and I have never regretted it.

Now, my younger son loved Abeka math because of all the color but he was struggling with the same lack of comprehension so I took Mr Ziegler's (Systematic Math) advice and started him in Practical Arithmetics. He was in 4th grade and I began in the beginning of the 1st book of the 3 book series. Book 1 is 3rd-4th grade level. My son worked through that book in one year and it set a good solid foundation for him. He is currently just a few pages away from finishing up the 2nd book in the series (grades 5th-6th). I will admit though that my dear son fought the switch over at first because 'It's boring! It's got no color! The word problems are 'old' and the names are funny.' BUT, after a while he came to enjoy his little 'blast from the past' and we would have long discussions about how things have gotten more expensive or sometimes we would talk about the rate of inflation. We got more out of it than just a math lesson some days!:)

My oldest will be moving on to another math since Mr Ziegler has only done up through Algebra. My youngest may combine some of Systematic Math with Singapore (another interesting math curriculum!). I just ordered some of Singapore's Challenging Word Problem books and lo and behold the word problems looked a lot like Pratical Arithmetics and Systematic Math's word problems!

Anyway, if you have any other questions please feel free to ask and I will answer as best I can.

Yup, totally NOT NICE;). I just ordered Singapore Math. We'll see how it goes...

To ease your pain a little. . .

I have been checking out Singapore math recently just to see what all the 'hub bub' was about and I'm quite impressed with the program. I just ordered and received the CWP books and as I said in the previous post, these problems look a lot like the kind found in Practical Arithmetic and Systematic math but with a more visual approach to solving them. I'm even thinking of adding some Singapore to my youngest's syllabus for next year because I liked the way they draw pictures to represent how to solve the problem. I think the two programs actually complement each other. There would be a ton of overlap if we tried to completely do both so I'm still working through how to sinc them up to get the best of both!

HTHs

I have my great-grandfather's math books from the early 1900's...1912 is the date I think. I have the primary and advanced math. I need to get them back out again and look into using them this fall. The word problems are amazing in them as well.

Hah hah hah... Evrrytink eez goink accorrrding to plan.

Oh, good grief. I just went and ordered book 2 (already have book 1). I love MUS, but all those charming word problems and "making change" scenarios just sucked me in like a big 'ol curriculum black hole...

:tongue_smilie:

It's just one more book right?

I need a 12 step program.

Oh, good grief. I just went and ordered book 2 (already have book 1). I love MUS, but all those charming word problems and "making change" scenarios just sucked me in like a big 'ol curriculum black hole...

:iagree:

Me, too. (As in, I ordered books 1 & 2, already use MUS with my oldest but got sucked in, and need a curriculum 12 step program. :D:tongue_smilie:)

I've used bought all of the Systematic Mathematics from 6 forward (except the one on factoring, which I just ordered, because DS is having factoring issues in MUS Geometry).

After MUS Geometry, DS will go back to SM for Alg 2. If Paul had made geometry or pre-calc/calc I would have bought them from him, too. DS and I both love the way he teaches.

And yes, I too am 'understanding' math for the first time.

asta

My elementary math experience was with Strayer-Upton. IMO, however, I learned mere algorithms without much understanding of the actual process. In the days of computers and calculators, understanding is of more paramount importance than algorithms.

In my case, I need to learn those algorithms first, and become comfortable with them, before I do too much of the why's. If you spend too much time teaching me "why" first, I'm lost.

Go figure.

So, would you say Singapore is superior to Practical Arithmetics?

I would love to hear opinions about these two programs.

Thanks!

:iagree:

I love MUS, but I homeschool year round and sometimes I just need to do something else to get more energy into the lessons. We did making change this morning from book 1 and it was a nice break from fractions for my 11 year old.

HOD uses Singapore, but I know nothing about it, so I would like to learn more too.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the second book and it looks great! Unfortunately, my eldest will have to back up to the first book. I just love all the hard word problems. These books really break down long division well. I wish I had had these little books when I was in school.

Oh, graph paper is a real boon for all the copying of math problems.

and if I remember right I felt lost with how they did their division or something. Can't remember for sure. How do you all teach from the 2nd book? I don't think I could do it because it doesn't really offer much instruction does it?

Has anyone had trouble explaining concepts to your kids once you reach the fractions on up?

I just ordered Systematic Math for my oldest (Math Rescue). Can't wait to use it. I actually ordered it before I saw this post so was glad to read the positive reviews here.

Thanks,

Tracy

The Strayer-Upton books really have a lot of explanation. I believe that after a time of transition they could be self-teaching. They break concepts down into such tiny chunks that getting lost would be a hard thing to do.

I was at a homeschool sale last week and even though I am a died in the wool MUS user (and lover) I bought ALL the levels of Systematic Mathematics for $130--that's grade 6- algebra 2. It was too cheap to pass up (about $500 worth of DVD instruction). Anyway, the Strayor Upton books are what that author recommends and where I got the books from in the first place. I love MUS and will continue with it, but my oldest is going to be my guinea pig and try the Systemath courses. I like what I see so far, but only time will tell. I mostly bought the Systemath because we may not have the money to play with in the future and this course has the worksheets on cd which makes for less workbook buying. It is a back up plan should I need it. It would be cheaper in the long run over MUS, but again, time will tell.

That said, I also have my MUS kids do one page a day in Strayer Upton. I love their word problems and each page really doesn't have a lot of problems unless it is a test or a cummulative review. If it was a workbook it would be perfect!

If I had to go back and do it all again I probably should have stayed with Strayer Upton, but not started it until third grade as recommended in the books. They books are so inexpensive and thorough it makes them a great deal.

I want to hear from anyone who waited until third grade to start with Strayer-Upton. What I'm telling myself is that waiting to do an actual math curriculum will free up time to do basic science stuff, which will lay a good foundation for practical math application. Right?!! Reassure me that waiting until third grade will not a nit-wit make...

I really know it won't, but I feel like I'm going to have explain this concept to my father in particular, who just asked a homeschooling family's kids some math problems and complained to ME when they didn't know the answers!

I want to hear from anyone who waited until third grade to start with Strayer-Upton. What I'm telling myself is that waiting to do an actual math curriculum will free up time to do basic science stuff, which will lay a good foundation for practical math application. Right?!! Reassure me that waiting until third grade will not a nit-wit make...

I really know it won't, but I feel like I'm going to have explain this concept to my father in particular, who just asked a homeschooling family's kids some math problems and complained to ME when they didn't know the answers!

I know that things are done differently now than they were back then (1930-1950's when these books were used). I think the average joe had a better grasp of math during that time period, IMHO. I also have noticed with my own children that if they are not ready, they will not "get" the concept we are working on.

I think if you plan on using Strayer Upton it would be perfectly fine to wait until third grade and do hands on things until then. My kids would have done better with it if I had waited. It has a lot of mental math and you have to be able to add columns of numbers in your head. This skill takes a bit of maturity because it is abstract.

Cuisenaire rods or MUS Primer would be great for getting the concepts down concretely, but in a less aggressive way. I would play with things like this and then tackle SU in third.

Oh, Strayer Upton does cover basic addition/substraction. It really starts at the beginning, it just moves to applying it mentally very quickly.

:lol::lol::lol: I'm right there with you. "Hi my name is Jennifer and I'm an addict." :D

My daughter is just finishing second grade and TOTALLY does not get math on paper. She can manage hands-on math though. I am going to start her with these books in the fall. She just took the CAT-E for 2nd grade and couldn't do the addition with carrying or subtraction with borrowing. I tried using Miquon and Singapore with her, but it just was not sinking in. She only got most of the way through Singapore 1B and most of the way through the red book in Miquon, but just did not understand. So, I really feel like we are starting over with math in the third grade. I feel like I have wasted my time trying to teach her math from books up to this point. Over the course of the past two years, I have thrown up my hands in frustration and taken a break from math at all for several weeks at a time because we hit a brick wall. I think I will probably just use manipulatives with my youngest until she reaches third grade after the experience I have had with dd #1. After banging my head against a wall trying to teach dd#1 math up to this point, I really will not feel bad waiting with dd#2. Now, my son is another story altogether, but I think he would be ahead of the game even if I had waited till third grade with him. He is ready to start 4B in Singapore and the Yellow book in Miquon after only two years and totally understands math. He was in ps for k and first, and I started him in Singapore 1B and miquon after using something else for the first year we hs'ed.

Jennifer

I've seen one-- it's around here somewhere and it's for sale.

While I like that it's rigourous, etc., I also know that my kids would HATE math if I made them use this book. I'm thankful that there are good math programs out there that are more "child-friendly", visually appealing, use modern language and examples, etc.

I hope that helps the "addicts" out there save some money. :o)

My daughter is just finishing second grade and TOTALLY does not get math on paper. She can manage hands-on math though. I am going to start her with these books in the fall. She just took the CAT-E for 2nd grade and couldn't do the addition with carrying or subtraction with borrowing. I tried using Miquon and Singapore with her, but it just was not sinking in. She only got most of the way through Singapore 1B and most of the way through the red book in Miquon, but just did not understand. So, I really feel like we are starting over with math in the third grade. I feel like I have wasted my time trying to teach her math from books up to this point. Over the course of the past two years, I have thrown up my hands in frustration and taken a break from math at all for several weeks at a time because we hit a brick wall. I think I will probably just use manipulatives with my youngest until she reaches third grade after the experience I have had with dd #1. After banging my head against a wall trying to teach dd#1 math up to this point, I really will not feel bad waiting with dd#2. Now, my son is another story altogether, but I think he would be ahead of the game even if I had waited till third grade with him. He is ready to start 4B in Singapore and the Yellow book in Miquon after only two years and totally understands math. He was in ps for k and first, and I started him in Singapore 1B and miquon after using something else for the first year we hs'ed.

Jennifer

Purplemama, have you looked at RightStart Math? It sounds like just what your DD needs.

I think if you plan on using Strayer Upton it would be perfectly fine to wait until third grade and do hands on things until then. My kids would have done better with it if I had waited. It has a lot of mental math and you have to be able to add columns of numbers in your head. This skill takes a bit of maturity because it is abstract.

Oh, Strayer Upton does cover basic addition/substraction. It really starts at the beginning, it just moves to applying it mentally very quickly.

One of the things I really, really liked about Practical Arithmetic was the column addition. It forced my son to learn the combinations quicker than any flashcard or computer game could have done. I was insistent that he add the numbers exactly in the order they were given . . .not looking for groupings of '10' as he was previously taught in Abeka (also how I was taught). I think the 'grouping' approach hinders children and slows them down and more often than not causes mistakes by overlooking a number or two; whereas column addition, once mastered, speeds up quick adding abilities. This is just my humble opinion having witnessed it with my own son. :001_smile:

One of the things I really, really liked about Practical Arithmetic was the column addition. It forced my son to learn the combinations quicker than any flashcard or computer game could have done. I was insistent that he add the numbers exactly in the order they were given . . .not looking for groupings of '10' as he was previously taught in Abeka (also how I was taught). I think the 'grouping' approach hinders children and slows them down and more often than not causes mistakes by overlooking a number or two; whereas column addition, once mastered, speeds up quick adding abilities. This is just my humble opinion having witnessed it with my own son. :001_smile:

I had never learned to add this way either. I sometimes do it with them and they can see I am slow at it. :tongue_smilie:It really challenged me at first, and you are right about it being better than flash cards. My kids groan a bit every time they do it, but I know the little wheels are turning and they really can see their progress. Plus they know they show their mom up. :)