Menu

I'm from the Comal School district in Texas (just north of San Antonio in New Braunfels) and we just got word that the whole school district is closing down for 2 weeks. It's reopening May 11th. Can you imagine how much the families with two working parents are scrambling to cover their kid care? Our co-op follows their lead in emergencies so I guess we're staying home for the next two weeks! There are only 2 diagnosed cases in our county, but whether or not there is a significant danger it is shutting everything down.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are just staying home as much as possible. Dh has to work in various customer homes, including ones from Mexico today!

I am not too worried for my kids, but I am for him since he is the healthy adult that seems to be the ones that get a severe case of this thing. We are less than 5 miles from the first HS that had the first confirmed cases.

QUOTE=eclecticmom;920034]I'm from the Comal School district in Texas (just north of San Antonio in New Braunfels) and we just got word that the whole school district is closing down for 2 weeks. It's reopening May 11th. Can you imagine how much the families with two working parents are scrambling to cover their kid care? Our co-op follows their lead in emergencies so I guess we're staying home for the next two weeks! There are only 2 diagnosed cases in our county, but whether or not there is a significant danger it is shutting everything down.

Dd's art classes for the next two weeks have been cancelled; I'm betting our other hs activities will follow suit. It's going to be a looonnggg 2 weeks!

ETA: The news is saying 2 cases here in comal county,with more suspected and 8 in Guadalupe County. I don't know where that earlier 35 came from- I got it from the school.

Edited by Unicorn

WHO disputes "150 swine flu deaths" in Mexico

A MEMBER of the World Health Organisation has dismissed claims that more than 150 people have died from swine flu, saying it has officially recorded only seven deaths around the world.

Reports have put the likely death toll from the virus at 152, with Mexican officials confirming 20 deaths.

The number of cases under observation in Mexico alone has reportedly reached 1614.

But Vivienne Allan, from WHO's patient safety program, said the body had confirmed that worldwide there had been just seven deaths - all in Mexico - and 79 confirmed cases of the disease.

"Unfortunately that (150-plus deaths) is incorrect information and it does happen, but that's not information that's come from the World Health Organisation,'' Ms Allan said.

"That figure is not a figure that's come from the World Health Organisation and, I repeat, the death toll is seven and they are all from Mexico.''

Ms Allan said WHO had confirmed 40 cases of swine flu in the Americas, 26 in Mexico, six in Canada, two in Spain, two in the UK and three in New Zealand.

Ms Allan said it was difficult to measure how fast the virus was spreading.

She said a real concern would be if the flu virus manifested in a country where a person had had no contact with Mexico, and authorities were watching all countries for signs of that.

She said the WHO was not recommending against overseas travel, but urged those who felt sick to stay home and others to ensure they kept their hands clean.

No decision had yet been made about vaccinations.

"This virus is not airborne, it's caused by droplets ... so it's not a time for worry. It's a time to be prepared,'' Ms Allan said.

A friend of mine from Australia just posted that link on her Twitter thing, thought I'd pass it on here as well.

A friend of mine from Australia just posted that link on her Twitter thing, thought I'd pass it on here as well.

That seems very strange to me. I don't know who Vivienne Allan is, but she doesn't appear to even have anything to do with influenza. I wonder if WHO even knows she's talking to the media. It doesn't usually work that way.

My g'mother fell last night and was taken to the emergency room this morning. When she arrived the nurses told her and my mom that they have 6-7 suspected cases. They did the initial swabs on them and the tests where positive for Type A. They are waiting for the confirmation, but are assuming that it is swine flu. They wanted to hospitalize my g'mother due to her fall, but said she would be better off to go home rather than risk exposure. So whether or not its confirmed it affected her access to care today. I am a bit scared because I went to the hospital to see her.

My g'mother fell last night and was taken to the emergency room this morning. When she arrived the nurses told her and my mom that they have 6-7 suspected cases. They did the initial swabs on them and the tests where positive for Type A. They are waiting for the confirmation, but are assuming that it is swine flu. They wanted to hospitalize my g'mother due to her fall, but said she would be better off to go home rather than risk exposure. So whether or not its confirmed it affected her access to care today. I am a bit scared because I went to the hospital to see her.

I wouldn't worry too much. Were those people kept in the hospital or just swabbed there? Either way, I am sure it has been disinfected since then. Not to mention, there have been some cases "suspected" that have proven NOT to be H1N1.

[i wouldn't worry too much. Were those people kept in the hospital or just swabbed there? Either way, I am sure it has been disinfected since then. Not to mention, there have been some cases "suspected" that have proven NOT to be H1N1.

/QUOTE]

From what we were told five were swabbed in the er and then admitted to the hospital in the 24 hours before my g'mother arrived. You are so right about not worrying. The results should be available Thurs. The hospital was following stringent procedures to avoid exposure. They seemed to be on top of things, which made me feel better.

That seems very strange to me. I don't know who Vivienne Allan is, but she doesn't appear to even have anything to do with influenza. I wonder if WHO even knows she's talking to the media. It doesn't usually work that way.

I checked the WHO website and found this:

28 April 2009--The situation continues to evolve rapidly. As of 19:15 GMT, 28 April 2009, seven countries have officially reported cases of swine influenza A/H1N1 infection. The United States Government has reported 64 laboratory confirmed human cases, with no deaths. Mexico has reported 26 confirmed human cases of infection including seven deaths.

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_28/en/index.html

Hey guy. Just wanted to let you know that the loca news just announced suspected swine flu cases in Mira Mesa, Ca. near in San Diego County. I am sorry, I don't have the numbers off hand. Oddly, I have heard of no cases, suspected or otherwse just accross the border in Tijuana.

Perry, is it possible that some people may be carriers that show no symptoms. Reports ave said that some of the confirmed cases have no connection to Mexico, or any one in Mexico. Just wondering. I mean you could still run in to someone who flew in from Mexico at the grocery store without knowing, but I heard of this sortof thing before. Wasn't sure if it was possible with this.

Guest tangleberry

Meh it's the flu. Whilst I dont wish death on anyone. People die from the the flu and they always have. We have effective pre-existing medications against swine flu.

swine_flu.png

I was just reading articles in my state on the swine flu. How likely is it that perhaps this strain has been going around already in the US? A doctor in Chattanooga commented that he expects to see cases of swine flu in TN now that they are testing each and every case. And if so, what would that mean for the "outbreak?"

Another official entertained the idea that the deaths caused in Mexico were likely also due to poor nutrition, lack of medical care, and unsanitary conditions. Could this be the reason that other countries have not seen so many deaths? Or is this the "second round" type stuff that Perry was mentioning?

I think the second round is months away.

Also - I think we've had it here for months already - people have already been sick and are over it just fine.

The difference is that NOW we have a name for which flu it was.

Media fabricted panic....must sellnewspapers. Must find advertisement dollars......

Watching the news this AM and Dallas has breaking news that the swine flue has killed a 23 month old child.

So sad for this family.

Now this makes me more nervous.

I should say that they are not saying the death was in Dallas, but in Texas.

Edited by KayT

Yeah I just got online with my coffee and that was the first thing I saw..

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta said on Wednesday that swine flu has been ruled as the cause of death of a 23-month-old child in Texas. It is believed to be the first death outside Mexico.

Of course, we don't know if that child had anything else going on - if they had other health problems, if the parents sought medical care immediately, stuff like that....but none of that really matters, a child is still dead. :(

I don't understand people who don't take this seriously - and I don't mean get wound up about it, I mean even just consider it serious. Dh won't discuss it at all, he thinks it's all "stupid" - he works with a girl who, I found out, just came back from Mexico a few days ago and yet I can't even get the guy to wash his hands extra when he comes in from work.

Chicago news is announcing the first suspected case here. A north side Chicago school is closed today in connection with suspected Swine flu.

This leaves me wondering what to do about Awana tonight. I am the Cubbie director, so I feel an obligation to be there. BUT - we are a near north side church and I have two immunocompromised children. My son has sickle cell and no spleen. The baby just got cochlear implants. They are both young enough that they don't understand not to touch other kids and not to put their hands in their mouth. I don't want to overreact, but I am wondering if it would be better to stay home tonight.

I don't understand people who don't take this seriously - and I don't mean get wound up about it, I mean even just consider it serious. Dh won't discuss it at all, he thinks it's all "stupid" - he works with a girl who, I found out, just came back from Mexico a few days ago and yet I can't even get the guy to wash his hands extra when he comes in from work.

I know what you mean. I havent even mentioned the swine flu to DH. I'm quite worried about it though. He never worries about anything health-wise. Yet he tells me he worries about things like the NFL draft and gets knots in his stomach because of it. Ummm....okay.

I know what you mean. I havent even mentioned the swine flu to DH. I'm quite worried about it though. He never worries about anything health-wise. Yet he tells me he worries about things like the NFL draft and gets knots in his stomach because of it. Ummm....okay.

Yeah, maybe if one of dh's video game characters got the swine flu, he might sit up and take notice. :tongue_smilie:

Chicago news is announcing the first suspected case here. A north side Chicago school is closed today in connection with suspected Swine flu.

This leaves me wondering what to do about Awana tonight. I am the Cubbie director, so I feel an obligation to be there. BUT - we are a near north side church and I have two immunocompromised children. My son has sickle cell and no spleen. The baby just got cochlear implants. They are both young enough that they don't understand not to touch other kids and not to put their hands in their mouth. I don't want to overreact, but I am wondering if it would be better to stay home tonight.

Cathy - i'd never expect you to be out and about with your kids right now. I think with the unknowns it would be totally understood why you would keep them home.

:grouphug: Hopefully the day will bring some answers to help you.

Yeah, maybe if one of dh's video game characters got the swine flu, he might sit up and take notice. :tongue_smilie:

Oh you guys made me laugh with these.... reminds me of that other thread on the portrayal of men in commercials.

My STBXH isn't worried i don't think either, but he did realize i was really worried for my friend traveling to Russia for an adoption when the other Mom at gymnastics talked about going to CHina to adopt during the avian flu scare.

It seems accurate that there are 7 confirmed deaths in Mexico. Those are laboratory confirmed deaths, where they have done some fairly sophisticated testing on the virus. Technically, to be absolutely sure it is SIV (Swine influenza virus- I'm getting tired of typing it out) you would have to do that. But there is no possible way they can do this on everyone who gets sick, and it isn't necessary. Instead, you can make a presumptive diagnosis based on other things. If a patient has symptoms of the illness, with known exposure or risk factors (i.e. recent travel to Mexico), has a positive screening test (meaning a test showing they have *some* influenza A subtype), and further testing shows that it isn't one of the seasonal flu types, you can presume it's swine flu. There are hundreds of those.

While Ms. Allan has her numbers right, this

"Unfortunately that (150-plus deaths) is incorrect information and it does happen, but that's not information that's come from the World Health Organisation,'' Ms Allan said.

"That figure is not a figure that's come from the World Health Organisation and, I repeat, the death toll is seven and they are all from Mexico.''

is highly misleading. The fact that they're not all laboratory confirmed doesn't mean these people aren't dying of flu.

I figure it is the flu, it is probable that we will get it - I recall last year we ALL had the flu here and it was nasty. The lost month. I have a hubby taking the train into Chicago daily, kids at three different schools and homeschool girl in martial arts (judo! lets all grab and hug each other really close!)...and a very high % of folks from Mexico here, coming and going from "back home". It is inevitable. Sigh. I am already stocking up on Kleenex, chicken soup, canned pears (think Homer Simpson yummy noise now - I LOVE canned pears but only get them when I am sick) etc - in case both hubby and I get sick at the same time.

My big fear is that 1. ds will get sick right when it is AP exam week and 2. I will end up with pneumonia AGAIN (I get it at the drop of a hat.)

Then again - four years ago all four kids got the flu AND strep AND pneumonia and hubby and I caught NOTHING from them!!!!

Watching the news this AM and Dallas has breaking news that the swine flue has killed a 23 month old child.

So sad for this family.

Now this makes me more nervous.

I should say that they are not saying the death was in Dallas, but in Texas.

My husband just called and said that the news is saying this happened in a Houston hospital, but did not say which hospital.

He was brought here by his family from Mexico to get help. Dh said they were an illegal alien Mexican family.

He was brought here by his family from Mexico to get help. Dh said they were an illegal alien Mexican family.

SEE! This is kind of an important fact, now isn't it. We are not told these things. This child is a child from Mexico (where the disease is possible more virulent and health care is lacking) and, while I am deeply saddened for this family, you have to think of the lack of medical care that the child had at home...and prior to this infection. Also, how far into the disease was he/she before the parents came to America to seek help? We just don't know and there are a lot of variables. :(

I do hope that Mexicans do not illegally cross the borders and innundate our hospitals with the sick from Mexico City. 1. It spreads the disease further and 2. we will soon have our own sick to care for. THis could be a really bad thing if it happens. :(

Edited by Tree House Academy

SEE! This is kind of an important fact, now isn't it. We are not told these things.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Wednesday confirmed the first swine flu death outside of Mexico in the current outbreak, a 23-month-old child in Texas. The child died in Houston, Kathy Barton, a spokeswoman for the city's health department, told KTRK-TV. It wasn't immediately clear where the child was from.

Houston spokesman Frank Michel told the Houston Chronicle the child came from Brownsville, in south Texas. Barton said the toddler came from Mexico.

We'll find out more soon, I'm guessing. Reporters are all over this stuff. ;)

From KHOU

ATLANTA — The CDC on Wednesday confirmed the nation’s first swine flu death in the current outbreak, a 23-month-old child in Houston, Texas. Houston health officials say that the child was a Mexican national who was brought to Houston for treatment from the South Texas city of Brownsville.

That is quicker than I thought. Good for them to report it so fast. IMO, that kind of changes things. This was a Mexican case of what is going around in Mexico and not one of the US cases. To me, that makes a bit of difference.

I worry about everyone globally, but I also feel like each country has to take care of their own right now.

From KHOU

ATLANTA — The CDC on Wednesday confirmed the nation’s first swine flu death in the current outbreak, a 23-month-old child in Houston, Texas. Houston health officials say that the child was a Mexican national who was brought to Houston for treatment from the South Texas city of Brownsville.

Bit confused... ? Is the child from Mexico, or is the child from Texas? To me, this says that he was a Mexican child (heritage, whatever) but he was from a town in Texas... ? It doesn't say that he was brought into Houston from Mexico... ?

CNN

WASHINGTON (CNN) — A 22-month-old child from Mexico who went to Houston, Texas, for medical treatment is the first confirmed U.S. fatality from swine flu, the CDC and Houston health authorities said Wednesday.

Kathy Barton, spokeswoman for the Houston Health Department, told CNN the toddler was not a U.S. citizen. She did not know where the child was from in Mexico, and could provide no other details.

Also... I find this disgusting:

Meet the child known as "patient zero" by his doctors -- 5-year-old *name removed*, who survived the earliest documented case of swine flu in an outbreak that, officials say, has now spread across four continents.
That poor kid is gonna grow up being known by that stupid name. :( I can only imagine what this is setting him up for as he gets older. I removed his actual name because I don't think the news has any business putting his name & photo on like that. Stating that the first case was a 5 year old boy from such and such area would have been more than sufficient.

I can just see it, he and his family being *blamed* by people who lost someone in their family to this disease.

Edited by fivetails

That poor kid is gonna grow up being known by that stupid name. :( I can only imagine what this is setting him up for as he gets older. I removed his actual name because I don't think the news has any business putting his name & photo on like that. Stating that the first case was a 5 year old boy from such and such area would have been more than sufficient.

I can just see it, he and his family being *blamed* by people who lost someone in their family to this disease.

They used his actual name? I'm shocked by that. Aren't there privacy protections in place when it comes to children?

Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking. I'm assuming that the parents okayed the use of his name & photo, but I'm thinking that, given the situation, they may not have thought through the potential ramifications for their son and their family... y'know? Especially with some of the little details... "tucked away in this small mountain village" ...etc... leads me to consider that the family really may not be aware of how far-reaching their information may get - including their family personal details... y'know what I mean? The description of the community doesn't sound like a place where people are as thoroughly 'connected' to the faster-paced world... *thoughtful* ....

Then again, maybe they *are* aware. I certainly don't know them... my first impression though was that the media should be more responsible with the family's information...

I read that and thought the same thing. Yeah, lets blame a 5 year old for the deaths of over 150 people and infecting hundreds, possibly thousands more with swine flu. What idiots the media can be! and WHY? Did we just need someone to blame? Does it have to be someone's fault? Who gets the flu first every year (whatever strain is going around). Whoever that is, we need to track them down each year and tell everyone to blame THEM if they get sick. OMG!:confused:

the statement "mexican national" means from Mexico. Alot of nationals own homes in South Texas. They were problably in Texas becuase the are use to bouncing back and forth between homes.

This swine flu has numerous schools and churches in our area closed until May 11th. My girls have a skating competition on May 17th here in San Antono and we have numerous Mexican Nationals coming up for it. I thought they would close the borders if this is such a seriour epdimic

Edited by Ashkraw

I'm asking this question question sincerely.

Perry, why is a little boy who is from Mexico (where everyone admits the flu is more aggressive) becoming upset by his death as if it indicates something for the U.S., as if "okay, now everything's bad folks!")

It would seem to me (someone with no scientific brain cells) that we would conclude that he had the more aggressive flu from Mexico and so would lump his poor death in with the other Mexican deaths.

I hope I'm making sense. Of course, every human being matters -- I'm just trying to figure out if we're supposed to stay in or not.

The boy in our suburb is recovering fine. He was in the Sacramento Bee this a.m. smiling w/ his mom.

Alicia

They used his actual name? I'm shocked by that. Aren't there privacy protections in place when it comes to children?

The child is from Mexico where these laws are not in place. Because the Mexican Gov relased his full name and picture the news agencies had a choice to make. I guess they didn't want to be the pnly ones with out the whole scoop, the also to where exactly he lived.