Menu

Did I make the right decision or not.

My 9 year old woke up Friday morning with his right eye swollen shut, red puffy face, rash on neck area. I gave him benadryl Thursday night before but was worse when he woke up Friday. I brought him to Dr Stewart, an old conservative dr, who diagnosed him with poison ivy and told me to give him benadryl and let it runs it's course of 7-10days. My son was crying because he felt he looked like a monster and refused to see any of his friends and stayed in his room reading and playing ds withhis brothers. Saturday he woke up with both eye swollen, right ear very swollen and rash worse all over his face and a slight fever. I brought him into the doctor on call. All the way he cried and said he wanted to hurt himself. My heart broke and I tried not to cry but give lots of hugs and happy thoughts. The Dr on Saturday said because the rash was over the face and eyes she wanted him on prednisone, keflex for the secondary infection he had developed and a cream for the impetigo starting. Now, I am very conservative with meds and do not like steroids at all but my baby was crying, felt horrible about himself, said he wanted to hurt himself and to me the rash was severe enough to call for steroids. Within 24 hrs the swelling went down and his spirits were lifted knowing he would not looking like a monster forever.

So would you choose steroids or just let the rash run it's course only giving benadryl for comfort?

My 9 year old woke up Friday morning with his right eye swollen shut, red puffy face, rash on neck area. I gave him benadryl Thursday night before but was worse when he woke up Friday. I brought him to Dr Stewart, an old conservative dr, who diagnosed him with poison ivy and told me to give him benadryl and let it runs it's course of 7-10days. My son was crying because he felt he looked like a monster and refused to see any of his friends and stayed in his room reading and playing ds withhis brothers. Saturday he woke up with both eye swollen, right ear very swollen and rash worse all over his face and a slight fever. I brought him into the doctor on call. All the way he cried and said he wanted to hurt himself. My heart broke and I tried not to cry but give lots of hugs and happy thoughts. The Dr on Saturday said because the rash was over the face and eyes she wanted him on prednisone, keflex for the secondary infection he had developed and a cream for the impetigo starting. Now, I am very conservative with meds and do not like steroids at all but my baby was crying, felt horrible about himself, said he wanted to hurt himself and to me the rash was severe enough to call for steroids. Within 24 hrs the swelling went down and his spirits were lifted knowing he would not looking like a monster forever.

So would you choose steroids or just let the rash run it's course only giving benadryl for comfort?

I would give my child the medications that the doctor prescribed.

Steroids.

Benedryl does NOTHING for me - can't even count on it making me sleepy. With the pain he was expressing i'd never 2nd guess the treatment, i can feel how miserable he was just from what you were describing.

I have suffered thru reactions to bug bites for years, then i had to go to the ER when the welts weren't going down after 5 days. I got my first prednisone and let me tell you, i carry a bottle with me now. I rarely need the full course they prescribe - i do a 3-2-1 pill treatment for 3 days.

I would go ahead and give him the steroids. My daughter had a reaction like this when she had mono and it really helped with the swelling. It is the only time I have ever given my children steroids.

I don't like to give meds unless they're needed, either. If there is a good reason to give them, though, I do.

I had poison ivy last year and let it runs its course. I was intensely itchy for two weeks and miserable, like stay in bed and whine, the whole time. I chose not to take steroids, personal choice. I simply don't like taking medicines. But I would have never allowed my child to go through that misery.

My ds had poison ivy earlier this year. His was not bad but close to his eye. If it had moved closer to the eye or was nearly as itchy as mine I would have given steroids in a heartbeat.

I think you did the right thing. I do believe there are times to let things "run their course" but painful itchy poison ivy is not one of them.

Pred is usually given if poison ivy is on the face or the genitals. We've used it for these reasons with our boys, and would not hesitate to do it again. I can't imagine letting a child suffer when help was available.

Ria

Pred is usually given if poison ivy is on the face or the genitals. We've used it for these reasons with our boys, and would not hesitate to do it again. I can't imagine letting a child suffer when help was available.

Ria

:iagree: When I was a kid I had numerous cases of poison ivy (probably from playing down in the bayou, but that's another story). Inevitably the rash spread from my extremities to my face and on 1 occasion was actually on the inside of my eyelids. You better believe I was on steroids. If any of my kids ever get poison ivy, etc around their faces/genitals I wouldn't hesitate to use steroids. Like all medications they have their proper place. Trust me when I say no one, and I mean no one, should have to live through the misery of poison ivy on the inside of eyelids.

I would give the steroids. My son has to take steroids 5 days out of every month in order to help kill his cancer cells, and even with high doses for weeks during the worst of treatment he only has osteopenia as a side effect. They do cause mood swings and lots of eating, but if he is only taking them for 3-5 days in lower doses he will most likely not have any trouble with them in the long run. Hope he feels better quick!

We are normally very conservative with meds (other than my son's treatment, because the alternative is not something I want to think about), but sometimes the kids just need meds. Usually once a year we have to give them something *sigh*.

I've had poison oak that required the steroid dosepaks to clear up. Last summer we were able to get ds, 12, through a bad case without the steroids, but I always felt that they were an option if "it gets any worse." We treated him with twice daily ointments applications, a daily shower, clean clothing, and clean bedding every day. The oils get on pillowcases and clothing and spreads through movement. Looking back, I think it would have been easier and cleared up sooner if we had asked the pediatrician for a Medrol dosepak. I'd have asked for the meds. in a flash if it had spread near his eyes. You did everything right :)

Like others have said, you tried the milder treatment first, but he was clearly getting worse. Prednisone is a standard treatment for bad poison ivy reactions; I've had to take it myself when I had poison ivy (the doctor said mine was one of the worse reactions he'd seen; thankfully, it was on my legs and lower torso, not my face). The short term use of it should be fine, and will also really help.

Wendi

I think you did the right thing. I've read somewhere, but I'm afraid I don't know where to verify it right now, that steroids are almost always only dangerous when taken in large doses for a long period of time.

When I was a teenager I went on a church camping/canoe trip. The first night I somehow got poison ivy all over my face...we may have pitched our tent on poison ivy, I'm not sure. The next day I went out in a canoe all day and got a sunburn on top of the poison ivy rash. By the time I got home I was feverish and could barely see out of my swollen eyes.

My mom, who was Crunchy Granola long before it was cool :) called the doctor immediately and he prescribed prednisone. I spent 3 days practically knocked out with the pred and Benadryl, but my face cleared up without any scars and without any damage to my eyes.

When my daughter got poison ivy near her eyes it was a very small patch and our ped prescribed a topical liquid that cleared it up quickly. I'm thinking it was called something like Elidil? Elydal? But that was for a small rash with no swelling; he was mainly concerned with getting it stopped quickly to keep it out of her eyes.

I am a veteran of many a really bad poison ivy rash. I don't take prednisone for beauty. I take it to relieve misery, which I think is a good reason to take medications. Poison ivy around the eyes is quite miserable and benedryl is not much relief at all. Considering that a secondary infection was becoming a problem, I would definitely have given the steroids.

Edited by Danestress

go for the drugs - steriods and all

I'm in your camp too, but I've seen how horrid poison ivy can be for them and it's just awful and a constant never-ending misery without the good stuff. and it can last for WEEKS.

if it was just a few days of misery? well I'd probably let him live in the bathtub and give something to ease his sleep.

but knowing it can last a couple weeks and that he developed a secondary infection?

oh yeah, bring out the big guns and nip it in the bud and get some relief.:grouphug:

I'm sorry your son had to go through this! And I hope he gets better soon. Did he understand that he'd get better and he wouldn't always look that way?

We did explain that this would all pass, the swelling would go down, the rash would go away and encourage him every way we could think of. We stayed positive and his brothers were very good about not teasing or saying anything negative to him. They tried to make a joke or 2 some went over well some didn't. It was just so sad to see him feeling so bad about the situation and feeling that he looked like a monster. We were all happy when the swelling went down and we got our Joshua back to his witty cheerful self.

Ria

I haven't read all the replies, but I agree wholeheartedly. We generally avoid medications, but steroids for poison ivy on the face, particularly involving the eye, are standard and we'd be right on that.

A secondary infection of the eye area - peri-ocular cellulitis - could be very serious and masked by the poison ivy rash itself.

As a medication-averse, herbalist mom, I would make exactly the same choice.:001_smile:

Absolutely the right choice. As a veteran of short term high dose, pulse therapy and long term low dose steroids, I have no hesitation in recommending steroids for a very short treatment like poison ivy. Steroids are dangerous in higher doses for longer periods. The longer the period, the lower the dose is needed not to get side effects.