Menu

I am over this lead-law

I am so over trying to get rid of stuff.

We had a yard sale today. My husband toted a van full of stuff, including games and puzzles, to the thrift store. They rejected all of the games and puzzles because of the new lead law.

So, now two bags of games and puzzles are now in our trash cans.

I guess the landfills are really going to fill up now.

Plus, how are they going to enforce it??? There aren't people who have been hired to go out and find the "bad" stuff. I vote that we all carry on as usual and if I ran any kind of children's business, I would be ignoring this law.

It's just ridiculous. Stupid government trying to legislate common sense.:glare:

They did it with motorcycle parts, too. My boys are majorly bummed, 'cause you know, 12 and 13 year old boys frequently put the lead pieces of their motorcycles into their mouth to gnaw on them.:001_huh:

My understanding is that , it's not that the law is not in effect, it's that they have decided not to enforce it for a year. However, it could still come back to "bite" someone, is the concern some have. So some businesses are choosing to refrain from selling items beginning now, that they think the law may pertain to.I've heard this law is a mess to interpret, and lawyers are divided on how they believe it should be interpreted.

Edited by Miss Sherry

The law hasn't even gone into effect because it was delayed for a year, so I don't know why the store would reject your stuff.

If only it were that simple. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) issued a stay. However, the law also gives authority for state attorney generals to prosecute under the law. The stay does nothing about this.

Also, while the stay says that some stores don't have to test for one year, they are still held liable for what they sell. It is a catch 22 that they are caught in. This isn't just an issue of not selling jewelry that clearly violates law by being 90% lead or having lead paint. It refers to anything at all on the garment or toy or book. No matter how unlikely it is that it would pose a credible danger to a child.

There is a lot of talk about how this will affect children's bicycles (it has already hit kids ATVs and motorbikes). The ball point pen industry says it would take at least two years to develop a ball point that is in compliance.

My understanding is that , it's not that the law is not in effect, it's that they have decided not to enforce it for a year. However, it could still come back to "bite" someone, is the concern some have. So some businesses are choosing to refrain from selling items beginning now, that they think the law may pertain to.I've heard this law is a mess to interpret, and lawyers are divided on how they believe it should be interpreted.

Yep, that is the problem. It could come back to bite us (anyone that sells 'tainted' items even at yard sales or resale shops) if someone can prove that there was indeed lead in an item that was sold to them. Our local resale and goodwills will not take toys or clothing with 'bling' or zippers for fear of a lawsuit.

I am tired of this lead law too, however with sue happy people around I am not taking any chances *sigh*.

Thanks for the clarification/correction.

I just spent quite a lot of time today worrying about this. I'm thinking of sewing some things to sell on Etsy this summer, but can I do that if they're toys or otherwise for children? Etsy is full of kids' stuff, so I suppose I can, but it seems like we're all just trusting to luck and hoping none of it comes back to bite us. I hear that cotton cloth is just fine, but do things like vinyl snaps have phthalates in them? Do I get in horrible trouble for that? Argh!

:willy_nilly::ack2::blink:

we need a Yard Sale forum :D

Like an international Craig's List, cool!

I just donated some bigger toys to Salvation Army. I went after hours and dropped them in their box. They didn't have a sign stating they weren't accepting toys, thankfully. Seriously, I'd hate to throw away perfectly good toys, these were boys things like Big trucks and hot wheel carriers.

It's just ridiculous. Stupid government trying to legislate common sense.:glare:

They did it with motorcycle parts, too. My boys are majorly bummed, 'cause you know, 12 and 13 year old boys frequently put the lead pieces of their motorcycles into their mouth to gnaw on them.:001_huh:

:lol::lol::lol:

I can still drop anything off at Goodwill here in the frozen north.

Just a suggestion for anyone else that runs into the same situation of a thrift store refusing to take a donation because of fear and the lead law (and I'm not bashing them, they have to protect their business, I guess, so it's certainly their right).

Daycare centers, church Sunday schools, even some public elementary schools would have probably been thrilled to get those puzzles and games. Since they aren't re-selling the items, they aren't required to concern themselves with the lead law.....and common sense hopefully would prevail that cardboard/paper puzzles, even plastic toys aren't likely to be any more harmful to their students than the items they already have in their classroom!

I'm sure after a long day of garage selling you will be too tired to want to find one of these places, so maybe keep it in mind now before your sale and inquire about whether they're interested in any leftovers. I know our church even put a notice in their bulletin that they'd appreciate being thought of for donations of items refused by the local Goodwill. They run a preschool so they can always use stuff, and they store a lot to rotate every couple of months so the kids don't get bored.

If you have just a few items, even check with your doctor/dentist office, as they may be thrilled to have a few more items to entertain their patients (ok, maybe not the cardboard/paper items which couldn't be cleaned for the next day.....ahhhh, my first job as a tween was sterilizing my uncle's waiting room toys each evening).

I totally love the idea of keeping lead items away from children.....but I have some real concerns about the stupidity of this new law. I've never in my life read a report that paper could contain lead......or fabric clothing without metal buttons/zippers/etc. I hope that some level headed non-government overreactors get involved in revising this law to protect our children without unnecessarily filling our landfills and raising prices because we can no longer buy safe things used! Ok, climbing off the high horse here, but our local used stores are dying a slow death, where last year I was probably up for selection as best customer, now I find myself leaving empty handed. And at this point I'm still too cheap (and broke) to buy new, my kids don't have any new toys to play with, and by summer will likely be required to stay in the house instead of appearing in public naked!

ConnieB,

I completely agree with you. I have donated to the local preschool, girl's shelter and even the elementary public school.

We were exhausted after the yard sale, and my husband desperately needed his garage back to sharpen mowers and finish building the table he is making for the boys.

I felt bad for him after hauling a van-full of stuff, carrying it in, etc. only to be told that they couldn't take this and that -- even CD towers that were in a bag of containers that they wouldn't take! He was totally over it when he got home -- so sick of looking at the stuff that he asked if he could just pitch them.

We even had perfectly good curtain rods which they wouldn't take because the rods weren't in bags. How many people donate curtain rods which are brand new in sealed bags?

I am even over freecycle because of the emails flooding in, the requirement that I wait 24 hours before making my decision, then trying to follow up on people to see if they are even going to come.

I may take the games and puzzles to the preschool tomorrow since some are still in bags.

The law covers both lead and phthalates (something in plastic). Ideally this would protect us from all the stuff that is made overseas and not tested properly. Unfortunately, it's hitting the wrong end of the problem.

Technically you can't even donate or give the stuff away, either, which is where libraries started getting concerned.

Sigh, rant, and sigh some more.

The law covers both lead and phthalates (something in plastic). Ideally this would protect us from all the stuff that is made overseas and not tested properly. Unfortunately, it's hitting the wrong end of the problem.

Technically you can't even donate or give the stuff away, either, which is where libraries started getting concerned.

Sigh, rant, and sigh some more.

Our base library has a rather small children's section that is heavily stocked with older books. American Heritage Junior Library, Nancy Drew, Tom Swift, all sorts of older biographies. I even found some C. W. Anderson books that I'd missed as a kid (Billy and Blaze). It has all the Marguerite Henry books that I remember pouring over.

They are moving into a new building in the late spring and I'm so afraid that these books will just disappear during the move. Especially since they don't do book sales so they would either get boxed up for sale as government surplus or get thrown away.