Menu

How about a boy friendly language arts thread?

rafiki

My son likes CW. I can't say that he loves it yet, but the other day he told me that parts of school were fun, like the part where we diagram sentences. :001_huh: He did not get the grammar lovin' gene from me.

I like the stories that CW uses as models. We are just finishing Aesop B and I found most of the stories to be well liked by him. The James Baldwin stories were especially appealing.

My son is in 5th grade and likes Wordsmith Apprentice. He loves comics and there are comics through out the book. It isn't on the level of IEW as far as teaching writing. However, he can do it independently and this year with a new baby we needed that. We can work more with the IEW next year.

Vickie

We are using Analytical Grammar for 6th-7th-8th grade and, while ds doesn't love any schoolwork, he appreciates the efficiency of the program. Caution: if you have a child who needs a lot of repetition in grammar, this may not be the best choice.

We are using Megawords for spelling and ds likes it because it's easy. Test scores show him to be at or above grade level, so I'm happy too.

I agree about Wordsmith Apprentice. We're about half-way through, and my boys kind of like it and it gets done without many complaints. I don't think it has enough writing so far, so I also have them do journal writing and some other writing. We will finish the book though, and then start one of the IEW-themed books next.

I'm guessing that learning styles and personality are going to come into play more than anything. My two oldest boys have been very visual and kinesthetic; my youngest it's hard to tell yet since he's only 4, but he seems more balanced than them. He likes pictures but auditory learning works fine for him too, from what I can tell, so I'm thinking different things might be a good fit for him than they are for my other boys right now.

Anyway, for my school-age boys:

Rod and Staff works well for my oldest. He needs the repetition and does better with mastery learning.

All About Spelling is perfect for my 8 year old, he loves being able to see and touch, it really helps.

We've had no complaining about either of those. Other things we're still working on finding the right fit!

My younger son, who is somewhat behind my older one in the LA area, never complained about First Language Lessons (we skipped some of the repitition), Primary Language Lessons or Intermediate Language Lessons.

He's using WordSmith Apprentice this year and seems to like it, too. I used a Spectrum Writing workbook with him a year or so ago and he seemed to like it pretty well....

I have 12yo and 10 yo boys doing the following:

Easy Grammar, Spelling Power, Latina Christiana I, McGuffey's Third Reader for vocab and public speaking and they write a history narration a day for me each day.

The only complaints I've had are when I've changed our program around.

The only new addition was Spelling Power last summer.

We've used Spelling Workout, IEW, Imitations in Writing, Writing Strands and LLATL.

They were all either too easy, I hated them, or it seemed like busy work.

What we are doing now is great for them and I can see them progress.

I do think that the curriculums above, used alone, would not be sufficient without a classic literature program, to build up their vocabulary and stretch their minds~

For any grade, what language arts products have your boys never complained about or possibly even enjoyed?

We are big fans of FLL. My boys love these short easy lessons. They remember the chants especially the preposition chant. I love the fact that narration, grammar, poem memorization, and dictation are rolled into one program.

I think the only language arts my son did not complain about was Winston Grammar. He did get tired of using the cards. He is a short cut kind of kid.

Now that I think about it, he didn't complain about CW Aesop B either. I don't think he loved it, but at least he didn't have to come up with original ideas. We are starting to use Writer's Jungle now, and he actually seems to like the Friday Freewrites.

Jennie

My 6 yo likes WWE1. He always wants to do it first, along with Singapore Math--his favorite subjects.

He tolerates AAS. I think he would duslike any spelling program, though, and he dislikes workbooks especially, so AAS seems the best because of the hands-on.

He has come to dislike FLL. We are almost done with level 1 and already skip all the poetry in favor of other poems. I was still planning on using FLL2, though.

I agree about Wordsmith Apprentice.

:iagree:

My son really struggles with writing and this has been great for him. We do other writing in addition. He is just finishing a research paper that I have been surprisingly pleased with :001_smile: However, he hated working on that, and almost never complains about the daily writing we with do with Wordsmith Apprentice. It is a great way to gently keep a reluctant writer writing.

Debbie

DS, 12.5, is currently enrolled in two online classes with Time4Writing, which is by the same company as Time4Learning. DS is doing a basic mechanics class, and a paragraph writing class.

I'm personally not thrilled with either class, because there just isn't enough instruction/direction before assignments are given. Often just a brief half page of examples, then the student has a quiz.

But DS has done every assignment without complaint, and is always interested in any teacher feedback or grade. Other than doing freewrites, which he likes, this is the least complaint I've ever had with writing.

Once we finish the Time4Writing classes, we will start Wordsmith Apprentice.

Michelle T

We enjoy Michael Clay Thompson's LA program very much this year. Ds really likes Grammar Island and Sentence Island. They use stories to introduce grammar and sentence structure so it is fun and gentle. Next year we are going to continue with his next level which is Grammar Town and Paragraph Town.

Other than IEW, I'd say this is my best curriculum find.

Well, neither boy jumps up and down for joy with *any* school related thing, but the following are programs that I never heard complaints about. (lol) Best of luck finding what fits your boys! Warmly, Lori D.

Writing

- Ready, Set, Revise (gr. 4-6) -- great "writing warm-up", doing just a page a day

- Wordsmith Apprentice (gr. 4-6)

- Jump In (gr. 5-8)

Grammar

- Take Five Minutes, A History Fact a Day for Editing (gr. 4-6)

- Comicstrip Grammar (gr. 5-8) - word usage review worksheets

- Giggles in the Middle (gr. 6-8) - editing; grammar concepts review

- Chortling Bard (gr. 9-12) - editing; grammar concepts review

- Winston Grammar - Basic (gr. 4-5), Wordworks (gr. 6) Advanced (gr. 7-8)

Done on whiteboard, 3x/week, 4 sentences/day, fast and painless -- our boys always looked at it more like a puzzle to solve.

Spelling

- Megawords (gr. 4 and up)

- one-on-one word discussion/practice (variety of techniques)

Vocabulary

- English From the Roots Up (gr. 4-8) - we did it as a game

- "in the moment" quick definition/discussion as we read (helps them retain the words hearing in context)

Literature

- read alouds and solo read great books -- many titles from Sonlight and 1000 Good Books

- Figuratively Speaking (gr. 5-8) -- did it aloud together; fun way to learn literary elements

- Garlic Press publishers literature guides

- Lightning Lit. & Comp. 7 (gr. 6-8)

- Lightning Lit. & Comp. 8 (gr. 7-9)

- Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings (gr. 7-10)

My 8yo ds never complains about doing Growing with Grammar. He will sometimes offer to do more lessons of it in exchange for less math lessons! Needless to say I don't go for that one. :lol:

Both of my kids like GWG.

They also both really like Explode the Code for Phonics.

Writing With Ease doesn't get many complaints either.

We have not started spelling yet, so I can't comment there.

Programs he doesn't cringe at and rarely complains about:

For phonics/beginning reading:

Explode the Code

Now I'm Reading series by Nora Gaydos

Handwriting Practice:

Draw Write Now

Others:

Sequential Spelling (he actually likes this!)

My Little Red Writing Book (journal writing)

If I could find a writing program he liked I'd be in heaven ;)

My 9yo 3rd grader loves McRuffy Phonics & Reading 3rd grade program. McRuffy has always worked with him. They just click together.

We also do WWE2, which he thinks is ok, but sneaks in a complaint about here and there.

ETC 1-8 he usually complained about, but whizzed along in. I could tell he was enjoying himself when doing the pages.

In 1st, he really liked SSRW. He actually loved doing those readers.

This is a great thread idea!

My 2nd grade boy enjoys (gasp!) Growing with Grammar.

Handwriting is always a chore, but he seems to find it mildly tolerable when I create copywork from him using quotes from some of his favorite books.

He loves doing Vocabulary Cartoons w/ his older sis. Both kids also love IEW's Poetry Memorization program.

Not using a writing or spelling program yet. I will probably start him on IEW's writing program in another year or two. Not sure about spelling -- I'll have to look at other responses to find some ideas.

We do tons of reading (out loud & him on his own) & discussion. He loves reading & is an extremely advanced reader.

(FYI, duds for him have been FLL, Explode the Code, any handwriting program.)