Menu

tlc channel - family with 8 kids

I just got the chance to see the show on tlc with the set of 6 and a set of twins at the gym while I was running on the treadmill. I was finding it somewhat funny until the mom said the punishment for getting out of their crib was 45 minutes! I turned the channel and was done. That family could really use the Nanny - Jo! Show that help are much better than shows that exploit peoples downfalls.

I caught an episode of Jon and Kate Plus Eight also and was surprised at one of their punishments (though the kids were much older than crib age). The mom was also a bit snotty towards the dad. I think maybe they are in over their heads. I think most people would find that situation difficult. Maybe it's just too difficult for them?

It was a naptime thing. If they came out of the room before the 2 hours for nap was up, they had to stay a certain amount of time longer (I don't remember it being 45 minutes).

I find their rules to be a bit excessive for my taste, but, then again, I don't have sextuplets. I don't think the problem is that they can't handle it; I just think they have to follow some strict scheduling or they would lose their minds. I don't agree with strict scheduling (and, let's face it, many do it with a single infant or toddler), but in the case of that many all the same age, I'm sure you have to do it for sanity's sake or you would never be able to function.

trying to get them put off the air. I mean with all the garbage on tv, who really cares if these people are making money with the show? How many other families have put their lives out there and are making money off of it? There are MANY families that have done and are doing this.

Also, they did both have jobs. It's not like they have never worked. What they do now is, to me, their business. People don't have to watch them, just like I don't HAVE to watch the Osborne's or any other reality show.

And I don't know what anyone means by sense of entitlement. I admit to not really liking the mom's attitude sometimes, but I don't get the feeling they think anyone owes them anything.

Love the Mom. Love the Dad. Love the kids.

Like they say at the beginning of the show- being the parents of two sets of multiples may not bring out the best in them; it's not a perfect life, it's their life; and they're in it together. This I totally understand.

I love how they put it all out there. It has a genuineness to it that helps me when dealing with my 3 kids. I imagine it is also of help to families with multiples to see the everyday running of another home with many kids of the same age. Let's face it. It would be like living in a daycare.

Mandy

I have never really seen an entire episode but did see enough one time that I didn't care for how the wife treated her husband.

Recently she did a book tour and did a book signing at our local mall. My DD's friend stood in line for hours to meet her and get a book signed. DDF got to the table and said "Hi, thanks for doing this. " Kate never looked up and greeted her, just said "sure".

She lost a few fans that day!

I know they came across as being very defensive of the Gosselins. I have to say that, while I was at a time, and I felt the need to clarify some points regarding the posts, I have changed my opinion of them somewhat over the last few months.

I DO think there has been a change in the dynamic, in their attitudes, and in some general things about the show. In fact, based upon no longer seeing several of the regular friends in the episodes, I would have to say that there is probably plenty of truth to what is coming across the air.

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify that I am not really the super-charged J&K+8 fan I once was (though I still think Leah is one of the cutest kids I have EVER seen!!)

I've never seen the show. (We don't have cable.) But there are enough reality-ish shows on tv that the core issue for me is the same.

I used to watch people on tv and think badly of them because they did this, or they said that. But it didn't take long for me to realize that if I had cameras on me 24/7, there'd probably be a lot that made it on the screen that didn't show me in the most flattering light. That's a risk you take when you open your life up to the world, I guess.

There are things I do that work with my parenting philosophy, or my religious beliefs, or my political philosophy. For every person on the planet who does the same thing, there is another who will disagree and will probably say so very loudly. (They usually do.)

There are people on this board who post about their interactions with family and friends that shock me:

"I can't believe they let their kids ________."

"She did not just say THAT!" "

"Whoa. That was inappropriate. That mom has some issues."

But it only is for a second. I then remind myself that, whether from a computer screen or a television screen, I am only seeing one tiny bit of the story. I don't know the situation. I don't know the child. I don't know the history. And I re-direct my attitude.

We all are different. There's no one way to parent. I have learned so much from people on this board who do things differently from me. I hope I wouldn't let something minor (like parenting choices) stop me from learning from someone else.

:nopity: Mess with Mother Nature and sometimes it bites ya' in the backside. SHE wanted another baby. He did not. SHE insisted, and--voila!--sextuplets are born. I loathe the show. She's mean and uptight. The best thing that could now happen to that family is to go back to being a 'normal' family without the intrusive eyes of the American people.

I really like the show, although I will admit I haven't seen them much lately. I think they are very real and honest about how it is to raise that many children. Imagine have six kids all the same age! Can you imagine all the issues your child goes thru at each stage of the game x6?

Also, I love how people bash them for not having Beth and Jody around anymore. How do we know they aren't around? Just because they don't make the final edit doesn't mean they are not around. Remember, it may be reality tv but it is still a tv show and it is edited. They take hours of footage a week and cut it down to one 1/2 show.

I think they are very unfairly judged. And common, do you always talk to your husband in the best tone? And sorry, he should step up a little more. Their stress level must be through the roof!

I watch the show sometimes. I've seen her be ugly, but like others have said, if there was a camera in my house all the time, I probably wouldn't be liked either. However, I was super appalled at one episode where her friend (not sure which) kept the kids and gave them gum. Later Kate found gum on their belongings. Kate called her friend and crawled her butt about giving 3 year olds gum. Her tone was awful and I can't imagine being talked to like that. That would honestly have been the end to my friendship with her after I had kept ALL those kids!!!! If she has indeed lost friends, this could be an example as to why!

I was very uncomfortable with it. I'm not big into reality shows, anyway, but I couldn't help wondering how those kids are going to feel later about having their family "out there" like that once they get old enough to understand.

Also, my rule for all TV watching is that I don't bother with any show featuring characters with whom I wouldn't want to spend time in person. These are not folks with whom I'd want to hang out.

Like they say at the beginning of the show- being the parents of two sets of multiples may not bring out the best in them; it's not a perfect life, it's their life; and they're in it together. This I totally understand.

I love how they put it all out there. It has a genuineness to it that helps me when dealing with my 3 kids. I imagine it is also of help to families with multiples to see the everyday running of another home with many kids of the same age. Let's face it. It would be like living in a daycare.

Mandy

I love Jon and Kate, , my fav show. I dont think she is bitey, but maybe thats because I am same way after so many yrs. of marriage. Just habit, not a good one. But they are making it, the best they know how, and if you notice w/no help. Do you ever see any kind of family other than bro helping out. I would be mad.

And kudos to them for their 1.3 mil. house, they needed it, they were squashed to the extreme. I am happy for them. Nowadays, I think money is relative.

Be happy for them, and they do mention almost every show, that they are blessed and grateful.

Not to throw stones, but the Duggars have a slammin house too. But they too need it.

I'm laughing to myself here and I hope someone else can see the humor in this. The general concensus on this board seems to be that we don't like the Gosselins because they are "too real", ie. we see them argue, we see Mom not being patient with kids and spouse, etc. and we don't like the Duggars because they are not real enough - Mom is too patient, they are too religious, the kids just can't be that good all the time, etc.

I do enjoy watching both shows. I'll admit that Mrs. Gosselin would never be a role-model for me as a parent because of her sharp tongue towards her husband but it's probably my favorite of the two shows.

Just had to share the contrast I was seeing from recent threads.

I just have to object to this comment about messing with mother nature. All medical intervention messes with mother nature. Unless you're willing to let your child die of measles or strep or diabetes or some other treatable disease, you can't be trashing a family who messed with mother nature to get pregnant.

In defense of their making money off of this show, I've read Kate's book, and the strong implication is that Jon had a difficult time keeping a job because they had a litter of premature babies on the way--one or two employers fired him when they found out about the babies. They had very, very little income when the babies were born and for months thereafter, and she makes it clear that she was incredibly grateful for the dozens of large and small, often anonymous, donations that were left in their mailboxes or in their guest book or on their door step. If I'd lived like that, and putting my kids on TV meant I'd never have to go back and could, just maybe, put those 8 kids in college, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Terri

In defense of their making money off of this show, I've read Kate's book, and the strong implication is that Jon had a difficult time keeping a job because they had a litter of premature babies on the way--one or two employers fired him when they found out about the babies. They had very, very little income when the babies were born and for months thereafter, and she makes it clear that she was incredibly grateful for the dozens of large and small, often anonymous, donations that were left in their mailboxes or in their guest book or on their door step. If I'd lived like that, and putting my kids on TV meant I'd never have to go back and could, just maybe, put those 8 kids in college, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree and the part of the book that really stood out for me was when she was talking about having to dress the babies in their snowsuits for bed because they couldn't afford to heat the house because Jon had been fired from his job.

My girls love that show ....I frequent a chat board of folks trying to get it off the air. The entitlement attitude of the parents - esp. the mom - is enormous, and they just moved into a 1.3 million-dollar home. Their income? Letting their kids be filmed several days a week for the tv show.

http://gosselinswithoutpity.blogspot.com/

That website is shameful. I cannot believe that anyone would waste one second of their lives to create it, maintain it, contribute to it ect. Wow.

Also, my rule for all TV watching is that I don't bother with any show featuring characters with whom I wouldn't want to spend time in person. These are not folks with whom I'd want to hang out.

Well, in the last week, I have gotten to see a couple shows that I've seen mentioned on this board. I was surprised how much I don't like "Plus Eight." I was also VERY surprised on how well I DID like the Duggars. I was more surprised about the latter :)

I consider television the same as bringing people into your home. And the scriptures are clear about being careful about associations. So just as I ignore a few people on this board and limit exposure to certain families online, I will have to not watch certain families on tv. But the kids sure are cute :)

I just have to object to this comment about messing with mother nature.

Thank you. People are sometimes terribly insensitive about fertility treatment. The pain of not being able to have (or have more) children is extreme. I don't think all kinds of treatment are appropriate, but I there are plenty of fertility measures not against God's principles and thankfully science has been around for some of us that want/ed another child (or two or...).

no cable here, so I've never seen duggars or plus 8 ...

but....

you couldn't pay me enough money to put my family on tv.

it's just too easy to judge and gripe and hate people on tv

and too easy to forget that most of us would be hated and griped and judged about if it were us on tv instead.

there's very few places a mother of many can be genuine.

if I say I'm having a bad day and the kids are being bratty and I never want to look at a math text again (all complaints any school teacher or daycare provider or offfice worker is free to air at times) then the response is not compassion or sympathy.

oh no.

it's that's what you get for choosing to have all those kids! (like teachers and daycare workers don't choose their jobs?)

it's well you should put the kids in school then! (how many tell office workers or teachers to just quit their job when they voice frustration from a bad day at work?)

And I'll wager we've all been less than saintly with our hubby at times. no way I want those moments recorded for all of history.

I don't know that I like or dislike or agree or disagree with her.

Just saying...

glad I'm not being taped all the time.

I figure if they are being genuine, warts and all, they get ripped for that

If they aren't, and only show the pretty happy stuff, then what's the point of watching.

I've read several comments here and in other threads about Kate's "sharp tongue". So, of course, I had to watch the show and hear this sharpness and the awful way she speaks to her dh.........and.........*I* haven't heard anything sharp or nasty at all. I *do* hear a woman that is confident in herself and her opinions speaking directly, forthrightly and honestly.

Personally, I can't stand mealy-mouthed women that smile and agree politely while inside they are seething and then they talk about you behind your back...and all the while *you* thought they were being honest. Give me a woman like Kate anyday!

Interesting how all of us hear things so differently.

I love this show.

It bugs me when everyone bashes Kate for her treatment of Jon. Stop and think for a minute. Aren't you a bit snippy with your spouse at times? Don't you say things to your spouse that you regret? She just gets it caught on film, unlike the rest of us.

I also hate how everyone thinks they are in it for the money. Watch the show. How many, many times do they say how grateful they are for the things they are given and have been able to do for their kids through that show.

Jon and Kate are not evil monsters.

I don't like the Duggars or Jon and Kate + 8. If I were to meet them IRL, I might like them very much on a personal level. What I don't like is that they are spreading their children's lives across television.

I can understand that Jon and Kate had financial problems and the enormous amount worry and responsibility he must have felt. However, I would find some other way to provide for my children rather than exploit our family life that way. I would do anything to keep my children's childhood a private one. It's hard enough when a child misbehaves and is punished in the privacy of their own home, let alone broadcasting that across the whole country.

I feel the same way about those nanny shows. I always feel so sorry for those children that all their misbehaviors are being witnessed in homes all across the US. No doubt some of those families need help with their parenting, but broadcasting it - No!

My children's childhood is a precious treasure, and I would not want other people I don't know and will never know watching our family as their nightly sit com/reality show.

Janet

:nopity: Mess with Mother Nature and sometimes it bites ya' in the backside. SHE wanted another baby. He did not. SHE insisted, and--voila!--sextuplets are born. I loathe the show. She's mean and uptight. The best thing that could now happen to that family is to go back to being a 'normal' family without the intrusive eyes of the American people.

You were right to qualify normal.

This family cannot return to a normal life even if they stop the TV show.

I don't like the Duggars or Jon and Kate + 8. If I were to meet them IRL, I might like them very much on a personal level. What I don't like is that they are spreading their children's lives across television . . . I would do anything to keep my children's childhood a private one.

Agreed. We've been very selective even about what we allowed with regard to our daughter and her academic adventure. She would actually like us to allow more, but we feel strongly that we want to protect her and let her grow up enough to make thoughtful decisions about the long-term effects of having one's name be a household word.

Mandy

Same here, I like them and think they are a loving family doing a great job with all the stress they're under and I don't think they are harming their children by doing this show.

I watched the first 2-3 seasons but haven't seen very many recent episodes. We have dish and can check the synopsis of shows. I recently saw one that stated Jon and Kate were checking out a hair loss treatment for him...I didn't watch it because it seems that some of the "Real life" of a large family has been lost. How many people do you know have the resources to spend on thinning hair? And to be honest, who cares? It seems like they are really stretching to find interesting topics for the show. At this point real life is lost and their tv show then begins to dictate their lives.

It bugs me when everyone bashes Kate for her treatment of Jon. Stop and think for a minute. Aren't you a bit snippy with your spouse at times?

Not to the extent that Kate is and not as often. I consider it very wrong to treat people like that. BTW, my daughter caught a couple more episodes than I did and read this thread over my shoulder. She agrees that Kate is just obnoxious. If ANYONE in this family was like that with ANYONE else more than the very rare situation, they'd be called on it in a heartbeat. But usually, we know when we stepped over the line into being abusive and rehabilitate ourselves. And when it had been a few days of happening on MY part, I came to the board with a "what on earth do I do so as not to be a jerk to my hubby?" I just can't imagine allowing it to continue to any real degree or for any length of time.

I watched the first 2-3 seasons but haven't seen very many recent episodes. We have dish and can check the synopsis of shows. I recently saw one that stated Jon and Kate were checking out a hair loss treatment for him...I didn't watch it because it seems that some of the "Real life" of a large family has been lost. How many people do you know have the resources to spend on thinning hair? And to be honest, who cares? It seems like they are really stretching to find interesting topics for the show. At this point real life is lost and their tv show then begins to dictate their lives.

I saw the hair transplant. I am squeamish about cutting and blood and needles. That episode had me squirming. The docs actually cut a strip of flesh from the back of Jon's scalp and took out good hair follicles to put in the front of his head.

:blink: