Menu

Convince me to buy a crock pot

I've put off buying one for years because of the memories of the crock-pot meals I had growing up - pale, flavorless meat and mushy vegetables swimming in cream of mushroom soup. I hated coming home from school and seeing that slow cooker on the countertop.

Our schedule this spring makes a crock-pot seem like an easy way to get dinner on the table. We're out 4 nights a week until 6pm and we're getting mighty tired of sandwiches and soup. I'd like to have something ready to go (or need minimal work) when we walk in the door.

But I can't get those flavorless, goopy meals of my youth out of my head. Can delicious, healthy meals be made in the crock-pot?

You know what might make a difference?

There are a couple of slow-cookers that have an insert that can go on the stove. I really like being able to brown the meat on the stove at the beginning, and then putting the whole insert into the slow cooker base to simmer all day. No more pale, gray meat, and for things like chili you can brown the ground beef right in the crock and then dump in the rest.

For me, the answer is soups and beans.

When I cook pintos in the crockpot, for instance, they turn out really soft and tasty. When I cook them on the stove, they usually end up tougher and I don't like them as much. Crockpot or sun oven pintos make the best refritos ever. Seriously.

White bean soup is so hearty and good in the crockpot.

Many bean casserole is awesome.

Most of these need some finishing before you serve them, but not lengthy finishing. And you can start with dry beans, which saves a lot of money; especially if you buy them in large sacks at Costco.

The other thing that crockpots are great for is slow cooked meals that are better if they are tender. For instance, chicken in cream of chicken soup. You can add dumplings on top during the last half hour of cooking, and have quite a meal. Personally, I don't care for fully cooked beef chunks, but meatball soups are great in the crockpot. I do pre-saute the meatballs so that they will hold together, though.

Ok, if the meat is pale and flavorless, it's overcooked and underseasoned. If the veggies are mush, they're over cooked. You can't cook all veggies in a crock pot the same amount of time you'd cook the meat.

In my crock pot, I've done roasts; line the crock with a crock pot liner bag, toss in the meat, add a can of cola (NOT diet) and a packet of onion soup mix. Let it cook on low all day. You can add veggies if you like--potatoes and carrots--and those should cook all day without becoming mushy.

I also put frozen chicken breasts (boneless skinless) in there with any variety of sauces (spaghetti sauce, salsa, teriyaki, Buffalo) and cook on low, but only for half a day, no more than 4 hours. I never put veggies in with this.

You can also do pork roasts. We've done cubed steaks, and that does include soup, but no veggies. I coat the steaks in flour and brown lightly, then put in the crock wiht a can of golden mushroom and mushroom garlic soups and let them cook. I make mashed potatoes on the side and use the soups as the gravy.

You can do soup beans and ham, stews, crock pot lasagna. See if you can find a crock pot cookbook at the library and you can see all the meals you can make in one that don't involve cream of crap and mushy veggies. ;)

I've put off buying one for years because of the memories of the crock-pot meals I had growing up - pale, flavorless meat and mushy vegetables swimming in cream of mushroom soup. I hated coming home from school and seeing that slow cooker on the countertop.

Our schedule this spring makes a crock-pot seem like an easy way to get dinner on the table. We're out 4 nights a week until 6pm and we're getting mighty tired of sandwiches and soup. I'd like to have something ready to go (or need minimal work) when we walk in the door.

But I can't get those flavorless, goopy meals of my youth out of my head. Can delicious, healthy meals be made in the crock-pot?

Ugh. If that was what I knew of crock-pot meals, I wouldn't have one either!

But... I do have a crockpot and ne'er a can of cream of crap soup shall sully it. :lol:

Chili? Great in a crockpot.

Beef Stew? Crock it.

Ham roast? Crock pot. (Save the water for the most awesome pea soup later.)

Any BBQ meat. Crock it, then shred for hot sandwiches later.

Beans? Crock pots make the best bean dishes.

Cabbage rolls. Mmm... in the crock pot.

I've even tried making mac-n-cheese in the crockpot. It came out very well. It wasn't like the baked kind, but more creamy. Different, but still very good. I also tried a kind of lazy lasagna that my guys ask for often.

There are dozens of websites devoted to crockpot recipes. Just skip any that have cream of sh*te soup and you'll be fine. :D

I agree with the above ladies, so I won't repeat. Here is a recipe to start you off before you find the perfect cook book. It is nowhere near tasteless and my family loves it:

http://www.5dollardinners.com/search/label/Gluten%20Free

Pasta Fagioli Soup

The house smelled WONDERFUL all day as this soup simmered in the crockpot! I used this recipe from Recipezaar, modifying it just slightly.

Suggested sides for soups...coming later in the week!

Ingredients

3/4 lb ground beef

5 cups water (I didn't use broth and it turned out FINE!)

1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes

1 6 oz can tomato sauce

1 cup dried red kidney beans

2 carrots

2 stalks celery

1/2 onion

2 tbsp italian seasoning

2 tsp garlic powder

salt/pepper

8 oz pasta (I use rice pasta to keep it GFCFSF)

2 heads broccoli

Directions

1. Brown and drain ground beef.

2. Chop onion, carrots and celery.

3. Add ground beef, onion, carrots, celery and water to crockpot. Add canned tomatoes and tomato sauce. Add dried beans (yes, this is OK!). Add italian seasoning, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. Set crockpot on low for 8 hours.

4. Add pasta about 1 hour before crockpot cooking finishes up.

5. Steam broccoli in steamer for 3-4 minutes.

6. Serve soup with side of steamed broccoli.

I love my crockpot, too... I'm using it to make homemade (meatless) spaghetti sauce today. I'm going to use some tonight for spaghetti and freeze some for lasagna next week. Another recipe I make:

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotchicken/r/bl108c11.htm - it says it serves 6, but we usually get two meals out of it if I put a salad with it.

I went to visit a friend, who made a wonderful Morrocon-style stew from this book: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Fresh-from-the-Vegetarian-Slow-Cooker/Robin-Robertson/e/9781558322561/?itm=1

I came home, bought my first slow cooker and my own copy of the book.

My son has outside activities several afternoons a week, and I can't tell you how wonderful it is to come home to a hot meal that is ready for the table in 15 minutes.

The one caution I would voice is that there has been some concern about the presence of lead in the ceramic linings of some slow cookers. (There are a couple of long threads about it on this board, if you go searching.) I spend a lot of hours researching the issue and eventually decided I didn't feel comfortable using my Rival Crock Pot any longer. We replaced it with a rice cooker-slow cooker combination unit that has a titanium-lined insert. We're very happy with the new unit, although it has required some adjustments to my recipes, because it doesn't lose moisture like the traditional ones do.

So, I would suggest that, before you dash out and buy the least expensive slow cooker at your local discount store, you do some research and make sure you end up with one you feel comfortable and safe using for your family.

Ok, if the meat is pale and flavorless, it's overcooked and underseasoned. If the veggies are mush, they're over cooked. You can't cook all veggies in a crock pot the same amount of time you'd cook the meat.

In my crock pot, I've done roasts; line the crock with a crock pot liner bag, toss in the meat, add a can of cola (NOT diet) and a packet of onion soup mix. Let it cook on low all day. You can add veggies if you like--potatoes and carrots--and those should cook all day without becoming mushy.

I also put frozen chicken breasts (boneless skinless) in there with any variety of sauces (spaghetti sauce, salsa, teriyaki, Buffalo) and cook on low, but only for half a day, no more than 4 hours. I never put veggies in with this.

You can also do pork roasts. We've done cubed steaks, and that does include soup, but no veggies. I coat the steaks in flour and brown lightly, then put in the crock wiht a can of golden mushroom and mushroom garlic soups and let them cook. I make mashed potatoes on the side and use the soups as the gravy.

You can do soup beans and ham, stews, crock pot lasagna. See if you can find a crock pot cookbook at the library and you can see all the meals you can make in one that don't involve cream of crap and mushy veggies. ;)

This was really helpful - I'm looking to use mine more, but without 50 million ingredients.

Every Sunday we have bean burritos for lunch. I put the beans in the crock pot a day or two before. After they are done cooking, I place them in the blender with olive oil, garlic and salt and blend till mostly smooth. This takes the quess work out of Sunday meals, it's a tradition.

Usually I just use the crock pot as a way to cook meat that I can then pull apart and use in other meals.

Meat for:

Shredded beef Tacos

Beef with red bell peppers, onion, garlic over brown rice

Chicken Tacos

Chicken pot pie

Chicken soup

etc, etc...

They certainly can. I've never used a can of soup to make a crockpot meal. Things I make regularly:

Home made soups of many kinds

North African Tagines

Chicken casseroles with wine

Irish stew

Bolognese sauce.....

Just throw in the ingredients for your favourite long-cook meal, and ignore it.

Laura

If you like stew or soup, they're ideal for that, also for poaching chicken and making shredded beef. I use it for Sunday "covered dish" lunches at church (almost any baked veggie or casserole does well for 3-4 hours on low).

There some tricks, so be sure to get a good cookbook or do some research. Modern crockpots tend to run hotter, so you need to make sure that they're at least 3/4 full or things will be overcooked. You can also brown meats so they don't look as yucky.

What was the brand of rice/slow cooker combo? I have been looking at getting something like this since we got rid of our Rival. (also because of the lead issue)

It's a Sanyo. Here's a link to the product from the Sanyo website: http://us.sanyo.com/SANYO-Store/10-Cup-Micom-Rice-Slow-Cooker

We bought ours through Bed, Bath and Beyond with a nice coupon. They didn't have it in the store, though. We had to order it.

Can someone provide more information on the lead issue with Rivals? I bought a Rival crockpot from Sam's Club within the last year or two....is it the older models that have the problems? Heavens, I'm going to be sick thinking I'm fed my kids lead based roast tonight!

Edited to add:

Oh, and does anyone have any recommendations for a large crockpot that is safe? I looked at the Sanyo one linked earlier, but it appears to be much smaller than the 6.5qt Rival I have now....and that one barely fits the roast and veggies, so I know a smaller one would be a problem. I have been keeping my eyes open for a large crockpot because I know as the kids get older and eat more we'll need a bigger one....or heavens, would I need to run two? LOL

Edited by ConnieB

In the two years I've had mine, I've used it twice, and both times I found it highly annoying.

I keep it thinking one day I will make meatballs that take 10 hrs to cook. (Even thought my kids love my meatballs...which take like 10 minutes, tops).

I admit, I don't get the crock pot love at all.

Can someone provide more information on the lead issue with Rivals? I bought a Rival crockpot from Sam's Club within the last year or two....is it the older models that have the problems? Heavens, I'm going to be sick thinking I'm fed my kids lead based roast tonight!

Edited to add:

Oh, and does anyone have any recommendations for a large crockpot that is safe? I looked at the Sanyo one linked earlier, but it appears to be much smaller than the 6.5qt Rival I have now....and that one barely fits the roast and veggies, so I know a smaller one would be a problem. I have been keeping my eyes open for a large crockpot because I know as the kids get older and eat more we'll need a bigger one....or heavens, would I need to run two? LOL

Hornblower (to the best of my recollection) brought this issue to the hive's attention.

I started a thread where it was discussed at length.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65604&highlight=rival+lead

I think crock-pots are a wonderful way to make delicious and nutritious meals. But my Rival sits in the cupboard until I'm convinced it is safe to use (or it's proven other-wise). Rival has been very non-forthcoming on the lead issue. And I find their attitude very disturbing.

I do miss our crock-pot, as we used it constantly.

Bill

I think I'm convinced! Thank you all for the great links and recipes. And that blog - I love that there's no cream of c**p soup to be found. :D This will make my life a little easier.

Bill, thanks for the link to the lead post. It's been very interesting reading and something I will take into consideration.

Wouldn't be with out it! I am often at the barn in the early afternoon. If I have set something to cooking in the crockpot, I don't have to rush back to get dinner on. I can even come home AFTER dinner and everyone else has eaten and is happy!

EVERY WEEK, I put in a whole chicken or whole turkey breast on low till done. Season as you would if baking. It is always juicy and tender. This way, when I am out at the barn, all DH or DD have to do is put in a vegie and a side and dinner is done. ( I usually don't come back till dark)

Here's another favorite:

Any meat cut into bite sized chuncks ( chicken, pork or beef)

1 can corn ( or frozen)

1 can black beans

1 jar salsa

cook till meat is tender

serve over rice or on tortillas w/ lettus and cheese. Delicious!

Another: Flank steak or other roast, 1 pkg onion soup mix, large can petit diced tomatoes. Cook till beef is tender, serve over rice or potatoes.

And my personal favorite:

2 large onions quartered, 4-5 potatoes halved length wise, 1 bag sour kraut, 4-5 pork chops or country pork ribs. Layer onions and potatoes on bottom, add meat in as single a layer as possible, a little overlap is fine, drain sour kraut and put on top. Add 1 cup water, cook till pork in done. You can add large chunks of carrot also. Don't forget salt and pepper.

Stuffed Green Peppers. Cook rice half way - not soft. Mix 50/ 50 rice and browned ground beef. ( a little sauted onion also) Clean 5-6 green peppers, slicing off the tops. Stuff packed with rice/ beef mixture. put tops back on and place in bottom of crock pot. Pour on 2-3 cans of tomatoe sauce. That's it! So good! The peppers may burn a tiny bit where they are touching the crock, but it is insignificant, push them to the middle as much as possible.

Edited by katemary63