Menu

Do you teach your children about OPPOSING viewpoints?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait...what recent thread? Did I miss something interesting? Off to search...

No I wasn't trying to start a debate ;). I just had to do a writing assignment for my class on this topic last week and I wanted to see if what I wrote matched up with what some of your opinions are.

Awesome responses ladies!!!

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79502

I knew you weren't trying to start a debate and I figured it had something to do with a class you were taking. Those classes of yours always lead to interesting discussions. ;)

You all can believe any durned thing you care to, but please (PLEASE) stop corrupting the true meaning of the word "myth" and treating it like a synonym for "falsehood", cuz it ain't.

From the OED:

Myth

1. A traditional story, typically involving supernatural beings or forces, which embodies and provides an explanation, aetiology, or justification for something such as the early history of a society, a religious belief or ritual, or a natural phenomenon.

Now I know the word has been vulgarized in common parlance, but I'm fighting a rear-guard action to reclaim the true and proper meaning of the term. And on a "Classical Education forum" we should maintain some standards, no?

That is all.

Bill

welllll... close:

OED isn't the be-all and end-all:

since we're not speaking Old English, we obviously all agree that vocabulary does change, so in true academic style and right in line w/ the OP [looking at ALL sides of the issue], let's take a look at what m-w says:

1 a: a usually traditional story of ostensibly historical events that serves to unfold part of the world view of a people or explain a practice, belief, or natural phenomenon b: parable , allegory

2 a: a popular belief or tradition that has grown up around something or someone ; especially : one embodying the ideals and institutions of a society or segment of society <seduced by the American myth of individualism — Orde Coombs> b: an unfounded or false notion

3: a person or thing having only an imaginary or unverifiable existence

4: the whole body of myths

now whether the people using the term meant another definition, the one i bolded is what is usually understood --which is seen in the use of the name Myth-Busters ;)

standards maintained, no? :D

We always teach the opposing viewpoint along with our belief. For us, as evangelical Christians, we believe that for one, Christianity is not generational. We hope and pray that our children will believe as we do, but they are free to make their own choices. We believe in a young earth creationism view. However, we have covered evolution with several different texts, intelligent design and old earth creationism as well. They must form their own conclusions. Abortion. We are pro life completely. Once again, they know what abortion is, different types, the laws etc... they mustt decide for themselves. Bottom line is, you can't FORCE someone to believe what you do. You can only present your belief, the evidence supporting it, the refuting evidence against the other side, go from there.

Just our 2 cents worth

Blessings

Sandra

There is a lot packed in here. I answer with fear and trepidation:)

For instance:

1.Do you teach your children about other religions? Christians, do you teach them about Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Paganism, etc.? Pagans, do you teach about these other religions as well? Muslims, do teach about the others? Etc., etc.Yes. We are Christian. We study and discuss other religions/worldviews. Two years ago we spent the year studying Major World Religions. We have relatives with radically different belief systems so our kids have been aware of other pov's all of their lives.

2.Do you teach about opposing scientific views? Creationists, do you teach about evolution? Evolutionists, do you teach about creationism?
We teach young earth, old earth. We learn about evolution. I have seen this issue become a point of salvation for many Christians. I know Christians that are evolutionists (no flames, please), as well as old-earthers and they are treated with contempt. I wan't my kids to understand that faith in Christ is about faith in Christ, not doctrinal issues. (Yes, I understand that this is a "faith in Christ" issue for some). We know many Christians who believe in abortion, Obama as pres, etc. I want my children to understand that brothers and sisters in the Lord transcend political ideologies (and yes, I understand that this will be taken beyond what I mean and yes, I believe that some political ideologies are antithetical to Christianity).

3.Do you teach opposing moral/social beliefs? Pro-lifers, do you teach about the arguments that exist in favor of abortion? Pro-choicers, do you teach about the arguments opposing abortion? We teach our children that they are gifts from the Lord, that life is precious. We also "teach" - rather, talk about abortion, the socio-economic realtities that many people face that we don't, and talk about how we would live if we were faced with different circumstances. We've read about and discussed Margaret Sanger, have studied the history of eugenics, and other political and world views that contribute to a positive view of abortion as a "solution" for seemingly hopeless situations.

Obviously, I could go on and on. These are just a few examples that popped into my head. Is it profitable for your children to understand what skeptical scholars opposed to your way of thinking/believing are saying, and if so, why? Yes, I believe so. We hope to ground them firmly, to give them a clear understanding of what a $1.00 bill looks like so that when they see a counterfiet it doesn't rock their foundation.

What dangers exist as you examine these opposing belief systems and how do you overcome it? If you DO teach opposing beliefs, do you do it in an objective manner or do you teach them as something others believe and that these beliefs are false and why they are false? I dont' believe that there are dangers in examining opposing veiwpoints if it done with the child's age and maturity in mind and it is done with love and respect. For example, I don't believe in consulting the dead. A relative does. My kids know, in no uncertain terms, that we believe that this is a wrong and ineffective approach to life. We will never allow them to attend a seance with this relative. We will not let them have sleepovers with this relative and they know why. They also know that we still love this relative very much.

No-one teaches objectively. We are all teaching from what we believe. Our children (and adults) are clear about our worldview, have been taught it to them from their birth and have attempted to live it daily. We disagree, we debate, we struggle through issues, but we all claim the same worldview.

Does the benefit of knowing “all sides of the story†outweigh the hance that your children might choose to believe something that you oppose?

Our children will make their own decisions and make their own mistakes. I cannot protect them from that. I can live consistantly and with love and grace. I can show them the Truth that I know, and believe and live, letting that Truth outshine my own inadequacies.

What says the hive?

yeah... i ask for facts from human embryologists and get links to bioethicists and spinal surgeons.:001_huh:

and no thanks --i'm not too interested in bean dip :D

My older two dcs and I have discussed some bioethics. I like reading Dean Koontz and many of his books discuss different bioethical issues. Since my kids believe I always get to read the 'good' books, we nearly always end up discussing what I am reading. The glimpses I get into that subject are chilling, but my kids' reactions warm me right back up.

Oh, and thanks for the extended def. of myth. I didn't want to argue, but that alternate is always the first that comes to mind.

Well, I think that, sooner or later, your children may decide to believe something you don't believe, anyway. I tend to think that if you've kept other viewpoints from them, or presented those as strictly "wrong", then they are more likely to eventually question you and perhaps adopt opinions very different from your own.

I have always talked about all the things you mentioned, and more, such as alternative lifestyles, the global warming issue, politics, etc., etc. with my children. I present differing points of view, read from books that present differing points of view, discuss at length, and tell my children how I have come to believe what I believe. Ultimately, they must decide what they will believe for themselves, so I think that's all I can fairly do for them.

With my teen, even though he often expresses opinions more liberal than my own (mostly to test me, I think, LOL), because I remain calm in discussing various viewpoints with him, I believe this has allowed him to feel comfortable in expressing a more conservative point of view of his own from what many teens express. That may change as he moves into his college years, I don't know, but I can't see him becoming very different from us, LOL....

What's the basis for the conclusion you've drawn here? Have Christians said to you that they believe the highest good is avoiding absolutes? Or could that be your mistaken interpretation, influenced by your disagreement with their perspective?

I'm not sure what you're asking... it's my impression from conversations with Christians that many have been influenced by post-modern thinking. I've observed a greater desire/passion among Christians for tolerance and moderation, for example, than for upholding God's truth.

I have always talked about all the things you mentioned, and more, such as alternative lifestyles, the global warming issue, politics, etc., etc. with my children.

Isn't that funny, I did not think to include environmental issues or political issues at all. We talk, argue, rant about these things so often (throughout our families), that it would not occur to me to 'teach' them. I definitely teach my children to see things as an American and a Christian. IOW, alternate lifestyles, etc. are approached as, we are Christians, God tells us blah blah blah; we are Americans, the Constitution tells us blah blah blah.

You all can believe any durned thing you care to, but please (PLEASE) stop corrupting the true meaning of the word "myth" and treating it like a synonym for "falsehood", cuz it ain't.

From the OED:

Myth

1. A traditional story, typically involving supernatural beings or forces, which embodies and provides an explanation, aetiology, or justification for something such as the early history of a society, a religious belief or ritual, or a natural phenomenon.

Now I know the word has been vulgarized in common parlance, but I'm fighting a rear-guard action to reclaim the true and proper meaning of the term. And on a "Classical Education forum" we should maintain some standards, no?

That is all.

Bill

Nope, sorry, can't agree to that, Bill. Even if "myth" used to be used in that way, in today's culture it has a different connotation... it does refer to something untrue now. I'm not going to start referring to my faith using a word that means "untrue." No more than I'm going to start saying that my son is "gay" when he's particularly cheerful. :tongue_smilie:

Look at the state of our great nation, it's pretty obvious. Imagine if people who call themselves Christians not only read, but actually obeyed God's commands in Exodus. You know, the 10 commandments that are no longer allowed to be posted in the courts? Yes, those. Because why? They are absolutes. The world would be a different place.

Ya, the capital punishment thing kinda doesn't fit with, "Thou shall not kill." :001_huh:

welllll... close:

OED isn't the be-all and end-all:

since we're not speaking Old English, we obviously all agree that vocabulary does change, so in true academic style and right in line w/ the OP [looking at ALL sides of the issue], let's take a look at what m-w says:

1 a: a usually traditional story of ostensibly historical events that serves to unfold part of the world view of a people or explain a practice, belief, or natural phenomenon b: parable , allegory

2 a: a popular belief or tradition that has grown up around something or someone ; especially : one embodying the ideals and institutions of a society or segment of society <seduced by the American myth of individualism — Orde Coombs> b: an unfounded or false notion

3: a person or thing having only an imaginary or unverifiable existence

4: the whole body of myths

now whether the people using the term meant another definition, the one i bolded is what is usually understood --which is seen in the use of the name Myth-Busters ;)

standards maintained, no? :D

No. It's vulgarization perpetuated.

Just because a *gasp* TV show uses a corrupt meaning of the word doesn't make the usage intellectually sound. Nor does the "inclusion" of the incorrect usage as an "alternate" definition.

There is none of that "post-modernist" all-the-definitions-are-correct kind of non-sense that going to be tolerated by this buckaroo :D

One way is right , the other is wrong!

Bill (absolutist :tongue_smilie:)

Nope, sorry, can't agree to that, Bill. Even if "myth" used to be used in that way, in today's culture it has a different connotation... it does refer to something untrue now. I'm not going to start referring to my faith using a word that means "untrue." No more than I'm going to start saying that my son is "gay" when he's particularly cheerful. :tongue_smilie:

:lol: LMBO oh, that's hilarious... I was thinking, I'm not sending the kids in the yard to collect f--- anytime soon. Regardless of the 'correct' usage of that word.

Edited by lionfamily1999
as a matter of fact, I'm not even comfortable using that in context...

Yes, I teach my dc about opposing viewpoints, and why I think they're wrong. It's my prerogative as a homeschooler to teach my POV. (Which is decidedly conservative.)

I have always looked for as truthful a representation of our history as possible. It is why I have avoided some of the Christian textbooks and authors, who present a very white-washed "all the founders were Christian" POV.

My dc have been taught to respect the POV of others, but they've also been taught to *question* those POV's as well. My dd did that A LOT in her ps history class in 10th gr. Her teacher was decidedly liberal, and taught the class from that POV. She wasn't all that happy when my dd would ask questions or (respectfully) disagree w/her. She even got a bit nasty, and chalked up my dd's dissent to the fact that she was a "sheltered hs'er". So much for being respectful of ALL POV's. LOL

laughing lioness and lionfamily. I get you two mixed up. The avatars and names... and you are both on my contact list... yikes!

Okay, lionfamily is Julie... lionfamily is Julie...

laughing lioness is Lisa..... Lisa.... she likes my avatar.... :)

Ah... was that an oopsy then?

I can bow away gracefully (and cry into my pillow)...

sniffle... I understand....

:lol: LMBO oh, that's hilarious... I was thinking, I'm not sending the kids in the yard to collect fags anytime soon. Regardless of the 'correct' usage of that word.
I think you mean faggots (a bundle of sticks). Fags are what you smoke.

dangit, I edited too late... and how do you know I'm not just hard up for cigarettes?????

I didn't want to presume. :tongue_smilie: (That's the closest I could find.)

Lol, I submitted before I reviewed.

cannot imagine sending my kids in the yard for cigarettes, blech! Although, my dad has been known to send them in the yard for fa--ots :glare: moderately sure he does it strictly to annoy me. well trained puppy doesn't want to write that word anymore.

ITA.

Nope, sorry, can't agree to that, Bill. Even if "myth" used to be used in that way, in today's culture it has a different connotation... it does refer to something untrue now.

I'm going to teach my child to rail against post-modernist vandalization of the English language.

Myth has one true and absolute meaning, other uses are corrupt and incorrect.

I'm not letting "today's culture" debase my mother tongue :tongue_smilie:

Bill

With my teen, even though he often expresses opinions more liberal than my own (mostly to test me, I think, LOL), because I remain calm in discussing various viewpoints with him, I believe this has allowed him to feel comfortable in expressing a more conservative point of view of his own from what many teens express.

This is exactly one of the reasons I feel it is important to discuss opposing view points with my sons.

My own mother didn't (still doesn't) like to discuss alternates points of view. She's right. They're wrong.

It goes so far beyond having a firmly held belief, which my boys know is the case when it comes to my religion and topics such as abortion. With mom, anyone who believes differently, whether the subject is religion, politics or current events, is not just wrong, but foolish. It makes me hesitant to have any real discussion with her.

One example (not completely related to much of the discussion here-I'm going to go with the non-offensive;)) would be the artwork I have been creating and selling. Much of it is abstract, and I won't show it to her. She has made it so clear over the years that abstract art is worthless, that real art has to BE something--LOOK LIKE something.

I have been getting a wonderful reception from the folks who have seen it, and it's selling better than I expected, but because I don't want to see that look on her face, I won't share my success with her.

flr_132.jpg ;)

I want my boys to be able to share their real lives with me, even if they end up making different choices than I have made.

Edited by Crissy

From the OED:

Myth

That is all.

B

Yes, I've heard this one before too. But if you look at the context that "myth" was used in these posts, your definition does not apply, Bill. Rather, Merriam-Webster New World's #3 is more applicable. Any fictitious person, place, or thing.

Do we teach opposing views? Yes. Do we expect them to be objective and respectable? Yes.

Are we PC and teach them to love/accept/not challenge anything?..No. I am very tired of society expecting us to accept every. single. persons. point. of. view. And dare we say anything against it... then we are hateful anti-this and anti-that. Heaven forbid we have convictions and pass them on to our children. It is getting increasingly more popular to love and accept everyone for who they are and what they believe no matter what it is. (except if your Christian, that is getting more unpopular by the day apparently)

We have our convictions & we teach them to our children. We teach them different religions/theories/etc. but explain why we believe what we do. I teach them morals, values, respect and character. We raise them by our convictions. Not the world's.

From the OED:

Yes, I've heard this one before too. But if you look at the context that "myth" was used in these posts, your definition does not apply, Bill. Rather, Merriam-Webster New World's #3 is more applicable. Any fictitious person, place, or thing.

I saw the "context" in which the word was repeatedly mis-used. Hence, my post.

The pervasive mis-usage of a fine term does not make the mis-usage correct, unless you are one of those "everybody is right" non-absolutist types.

And that's not a road this man is going to travel.

Bill

Ah... was that an oopsy then?

I can bow away gracefully (and cry into my pillow)...

sniffle... I understand....

LOL! It was absolutely not an oopsy. I knew you were the new one. :D But it does make my online life a tad more difficult. :lol:

And this wording is all over the place. I like you. Really. How's that.:tongue_smilie:

Well, for the OP:

I do homeschool in order to shelter my children. I think that many of these opposing views and lifestyles can be handled better later in life. Not by a 5 year old, or an 8 year old. I definitely keep most of them for the logic stage.

I also shelter my children in the respect that they spend more time with me and my views than they spend with the other views. If I sent them to school it would be decidedly opposite.

We have covered different religions quite a bit already, in everyday understanding and in view of our cultural studies.

I saw the "context" in which the word was repeatedly mis-used. Hence, my post.

The pervasive mis-usage of a fine term does not make the mis-usage correct, unless you are one of those "everybody is right" non-absolutist types.

And that's not a road this man is going to travel.

Bill

Then you have no argument with people that find that mis-usage offensive given the context?

If so, as you were.

Thank you Carmen :thumbup1:

Edited by lionfamily1999
just saw page 15

We definitely teach about opposing views. Do we do it subjectively? Somewhat, but not completely. I mean, they do hear our pointed discussions about our views, so I am sure they are influenced by them. I do listen to conservative talk radio, so I am sure they are influenced by that. I just try to make them understand that we are all entitled to our views and everyone, usually, has reason to believe as they do. I teach them to respect other people even when we don't agree with them.

Since my mother is involved with a very nice group of church people, yes. She likes us to participate in her luncheons etc, but we believe in her god as much as we believe in the ancient Greek gods.

Short answer is absolutely we do. Just because we don't believe what they believe doesn't mean we don't think they are nice folks.

I read all 7 pages of responses, and have to say that I really don't teach my children opposing viewpoints to my beliefs, or our family's beliefs. I spend most of my time teaching OUR beliefs. They manage to come up with the opposing beliefs just fine on their own. :)

Certainly I do teach about other people groups, and other cultures. Naturally I teach about scientific concepts like evolution and the fossil record. Absolutely I teach them logic, and debate, and thus encourage them to research any argument an opposition might present in order to appropriately counter those arguments. (But none of that is outside our belief system.)

But do I make a conscious effort to teach them opposing beliefs? Not at all. I spent an inordinate amount of time teaching them why we believe what we believe, why we live the way we live, and why we make the choices we make. I also corrected their mistakes along the way within the context of those choices.

I find I am unteaching counter-family cultural beliefs most of the time, particularly now that they are 19 and 16 years old, and confirming their own choices within the framework of beliefs we hold. We have a lot of , "Mom, am I doing the right thing?" or "Why doesn't ANYONE else treat others like XX?" or "Whatever happened to YY behavior?" conversations, and I get to remind them that we have beliefs that don't fit the typical people in the world. It's okay, and it's worth it, of course. But pretty much anyone they talk with is willing to teach them other beliefs!

Lori

Well said, Lori - same here. (Nice to see you, BTW :001_smile: )

I'm going to teach my child to rail against post-modernist vandalization of the English language.

Bill

of WHICH English language?? from which era?? :tongue_smilie:

face it Bill --you are probably mis-using all kinds of terms that did not originally mean what you use them to mean *now*.

myth is no different ;) For the rest of the world anyway, lol.....

But!! I can appreciate the struggle against what is commonly accepted--I am fighting the stupid "boys must remove their hats off indoors" rule since it does nothing practical or helpful for anyone.

good luck :)

Bill

Bill, dear, all my life I've been forced to listen to people say anxious when they mean eager.

I feel your pain. :D

Bill, dear, all my life I've been forced to listen to people say anxious when they mean eager.

I feel your pain. :D

Hello, I'm off on a tangent.

Merriam Webster's Dictionary of English Usage is quite adamant on this point: "Anyone who says that careful writers do not use anxious in its 'eager' sense has simply not examined the available evidence." p. 104

I do think it is more common on the other side of the Atlantic.

The discussion of the word anxious starts at p. 102:

http://books.google.com/books?id=2yJusP0vrdgC&pg=PA102&lpg=PA102&dq=anxious+british+dictionary&source=web&ots=nYsSoeu_-0&sig=LJ_LTwYbMPWMQYRlwceZuTD9zSA&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPA102,M1

Bingo! This is precisely what I can't stand about someone like a Dawkins. Everyone is a complete fool if they don't totally agree with him. Please, please park the Ego and try to discuss things reasonably, already! Oy! It doesn't mean you have to lose yourself or the power of your convictions. My children can tell you exactly what I think about every subject practically on earth. I'm nothing if not a person of strong convictions. I just don't try to beat them about the ears with MY convictions all day long every day.... Or shut out their right to use their own brains to decide for themselves what their convictions will be.

Hello, I'm off on a tangent.

Merriam Webster's Dictionary of English Usage is quite adamant on this point: "Anyone who says that careful writers do not use anxious in its 'eager' sense has simply not examined the available evidence." p. 104

I do think it is more common on the other side of the Atlantic.

The discussion of the word anxious starts at p. 102:

http://books.google.com/books?id=2yJusP0vrdgC&pg=PA102&lpg=PA102&dq=anxious+british+dictionary&source=web&ots=nYsSoeu_-0&sig=LJ_LTwYbMPWMQYRlwceZuTD9zSA&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPA102,M1

yabbut... is all the so-called evidence post modernish?? huh?? huh?? :tongue_smilie:

of WHICH English language?? from which era?? :tongue_smilie:

The CORRECT English language, from any era (including the current one) where people know enough Greek to understand the meaning of the term "mythos".

But!! I can appreciate the struggle against what is commonly accepted--I am fighting the stupid "boys must remove their hats off indoors" rule since it does nothing practical or helpful for anyone.

good luck :)

We each have our wind-mills to slay :D

Bill

We each have our wind-mills to slay :D
But Bill, you're not supposed to know it's a windmill. That's the province of the wearisome Pancho Sanzas of the world. Edited by nmoira
slaying stray apostrophe

ok... here's some emails I have received in response to this thread, and I have just enough less class than the authors to actually post them.....

take them all w/ a hefty dose of salt and a Super Sized adult beverage, lol...

-------------

Certainly I teach my children about the existence of false religions and idiotic political schemes. How else can they be properly equipped to slaughter infidels, physically or intellectually, for the restoration of Christendom?

-------------

Nope. I lock them in the closet with nothing but creationist, Presbyterian, American, conservative propaganda pamphlets. Then I drop them off at 18 at the closest major secular university.

--------------

a Typical WTM thread:

OP: Do you teach your kids opposing viewpoints?

Nearly all posters: Oh yes! Oh yes! Happily and with pride! All day long! Baaaa! Baaaa! sheep_modwedgy.gif

Occasional freak (OF): Weeeeeell, I teach them other viewpoints in the context of our own worldview.... I believe in absolute truth.

Postmodern liberal (PML): Yes. Why just yesterday we taught about all the creation myths and fairy tales. Did you catch that? I said CREATION. MYTHS.

[ stir_pot.gif]

OF: [ smiley_fishing.gif ] What?! I'm totally offended! I believe that EVOLUTION is the myth! And plus, postmodernism is bad and is at the root of this whole discussion! No one can say there is absolute truth anymore for fear of hurting feelings!

PML: Stop it with the inflammatory language! I'm offended backatcha! How dare you define postmodernism; definitions are too absolute and therefore cause hurt feelings! I'm working in abortion somehow to bait Peek --watch this!

Peek::rant: :smash::rant:

PML: Like a moth to the flame....

Bitter pot-stirrer who shall remain nameless but who may or may not be Swiss Miss: Really?? Is that really what it all means?? Are you sure?? I just don't understand?? What a coinky-dink! [ ;) when she really means :smash: ]

==========================