Menu

Clearing shelves-Strike

DawnM

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

The bread wrapper thing was epic. Grandma would take a bread wrapper, stash it with folded up bread wrappers until full, stash that bag somewhere and start again. I think we took over 200 of them out of the house. I am pretty sure it was a lifetime of bread wrappers. I am sure some got used. When ziploc bags made their debut, she never made the switch. I was staying with her for a week one time, and she sent me to school every day with my lunch packed in a bread wrapper with a twisty. The other kids looked at me like I had just fallen from the alien mothership.

When I was a kid we used bread bags as boot liners! They went over your heavy wool socks and then the top of the bag got tucked up inside your snow pants before you put your boots on. The bags made it easier to get the boots on and off, and they kept your socks from getting wet if snow got inside the boots. They could only be used a couple of times though because they'd get holes in them, and with 4 kids x 2 feet x many many snowy days, we definitely stockpiled bread bags all year to get us through the winter.

I don't save bread bags, but I do save some rubber bands and twist ties — not a whole drawer full, but about a baggie of each because, well, sometimes you just need a rubber band or a twisty. I just assumed everyone kept a small stash of them, but now I'm wondering if most people throw them out and then buy them when needed?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I don't save bread bags, but I do save some rubber bands and twist ties — not a whole drawer full, but about a baggie of each because, well, sometimes you just need a rubber band or a twisty. I just assumed everyone kept a small stash of them, but now I'm wondering if most people throw them out and then buy them when needed?

We just moved. A few weeks before moving (in the decluttering stage) I threw out our small stash of rubber bands and then a few days later realized that we really needed a few. So I had to buy a small bag (sigh). They're not something we need often, but yes, apparently we do sometimes need them. I save a few bread twist ties in an old prescription bottle. Those come in handy sometimes, too.

I just got back from Walmart. We're 60-90 minutes from some of the areas impacted by the hurricane. Their stock of TP, PT, bottled water and bleach were low, but they had some of all of those. Nothing that I noticed was entirely wiped out.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MEmama said:

Uh oh, I totally wash and save aluminium foil, save rubber bands and have a stash of random plastic bags...I also save napkins and wooden utensils from restaurants and trips, and reuse ziplock bags until they fall apart. I promise I'm not a hoarder though, I just can't stand waste. My grandmother on the other hand...yeah, the depression really did a number on people. 

I do a lot of these too (not the foil though)  I also save junk mail for scrap paper since I'm a big list maker and also an anxious mess and need to write everything down for fear I'll forget things.  Also not a hoarder, but don't like waste.  

• Like 2

I have one of those little plastic cabinets with a bunch of tiny drawers and I keep things like paper clips, bread twists, rubber bands, and other odds and ends. When the drawer is full, extra is thrown away. I save bread bags and the plastic produce bags from the grocery for litterbox scooping. It's easy to scoop and then tie a knot in the top before throwing away.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

When I was a kid we used bread bags as boot liners! They went over your heavy wool socks and then the top of the bag got tucked up inside your snow pants before you put your boots on. The bags made it easier to get the boots on and off, and they kept your socks from getting wet if snow got inside the boots. They could only be used a couple of times though because they'd get holes in them, and with 4 kids x 2 feet x many many snowy days, we definitely stockpiled bread bags all year to get us through the winter.

Shhhhh.... Don't tell. I have a secret stash of rubber bands. Leftovers from supplies from a 4H youth science project we did with about 50 kids. I bet that box easily has 200 rubber bands. 😜

I get that bread wrappers can have uses. But just imagine cleaning out your grandmother's house and finding 200+ bread wrappers filled with bread wrappers. The sheer number of bread wrappers that can be squished into one bread wrappers is amazing. The math is a little insane on this.It was just wild to us that it never occurred to her that after she filled the 1st bread wrapper, knowing that she would still be buying bread for the rest of her life, she didn't stop there.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I get that bread wrappers can have uses. But just imagine cleaning out your grandmother's house and finding 200+ bread wrappers filled with bread wrapper

I just cleaned out a relatives house after she passed away and, yep, same things with the plastic bags...sooooo many.  

But rubber bands? Where were the rubber bands?  Not one of them in her whole place.  Who doesn't have or save rubber bands?!😉  I ended up bringing a few from home because yes, we did need a few at some point.

• Like 2

I was at Costco for an eye appointment yesterday morning and the place was packed (west coast here).  I parked in the back 40 and the place felt like December.  I commented/asked 2 employees what was going on because after all, there wasn't a holiday weekend coming up.  I was told by both that it was the beginning of the month when everyone got their social security checks.  They must have been right, there were a lot of seniors there.  I will never make and appointment at Costco on the 3rd of the month again! (I didn't pay attention to what they were buying, so I can't comment on the tp.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

@Corraleno  I save some twist ties and rubber bands.  And my dd used plastic grocery bags as boot liners.  😛 

These things are like gold now. I've noticed my stash of rubber bands is far smaller than it used to be--I used to come across so many I actually threw them out on occasion (gasp!) but I almost never get them anymore. Same with twisty ties; they are like a lost commodity lol. 

What I do still have a bazillion of is safety pins. When DS used to race (running, cycling, triathlons), every single racing number was attached with 4 safety pins (so they didn't flap around). There's no possible way for me to use them up in several lifetimes but since they don't wear out or go bad, there's nothing to do but continue to save them. Maybe one day there will be a safety pin shortage and I can finally offload some 🤣

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, MEmama said:

These things are like gold now. I've noticed my stash of rubber bands is far smaller than it used to be--I used to come across so many I actually threw them out on occasion (gasp!) but I almost never get them anymore. Same with twisty ties; they are like a lost commodity lol. 

Rubber bands are usually used for tying a bunch of scallions here, especially asian supermarkets. Twisty ties are plentiful here at Safeway, Sprouts, Winco while rare at Grocery Outlet, Trader Joe’s. I like the twist tie at Sprouts because they are good for labeling as well.

IMG_6460.jpeg.63648790a6de03e0a7cf2b158054bd0a.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

When I was a kid we used bread bags as boot liners! They went over your heavy wool socks and then the top of the bag got tucked up inside your snow pants before you put your boots on. …

This makes me smile. I grew up in the south and bread bags were our boots! Whenever we had an ice storm we would double our socks, put on our tennis shoes and pull bread bags over our shoes and up our legs as high as they would go! They would last until we tore them, then our shoes & socks would get wet anyway. I think it made my Chicago born & raised mom feel like she was being proactive, though. I imagine the mess the five of us made when we came inside all wet & muddy wasn’t fun for her. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

What I do still have a bazillion of is safety pins. When DS used to race (running, cycling, triathlons), every single racing number was attached with 4 safety pins (so they didn't flap around). There's no possible way for me to use them up in several lifetimes but since they don't wear out or go bad, there's nothing to do but continue to save them. Maybe one day there will be a safety pin shortage and I can finally offload some

If you have a childrens consignment sale nearby I can guarantee there are moms that want those safety pins. The ones near me are Between Friends, Duck Duck Duck Goose and Rhea Lana.  When I did those I would always be scrambling for pins and walmart would always sell out.  You could ask around.  I hoarded safety pins for those until my kids outgrew those sales. 

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I saw this on a Costco fans Facebook page.

FB_IMG_1728050019237.jpg

I posted this to FB and got a warning that it might go against community standards. Good grief.

ETA: but it posted anyway? Weird!

Edited by kbutton
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I posted this to FB and got a warning that it might go against community standards. Good grief.

That's so weird considering I got it from FB to begin with. Their bots are so inconsistent.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, kbutton said:

A friend of mine got a one week suspension for something that she posted but they left her post up.  And it was something really innocent anyway.  

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

I really need a few things but don’t want to make the trip to Charlotte in vain. This last week was the week that I usually make a run to Costco and Trader Joe’s. Does anyone in the Charlotte area know what Trader Joe’s is like?

My friend went today and it seemed fine she said.   She got everything she went for.  

4 hours ago, ***** said:

I just cleaned out a relatives house after she passed away and, yep, same things with the plastic bags...sooooo many.  

But rubber bands? Where were the rubber bands?  Not one of them in her whole place.  Who doesn't have or save rubber bands?!😉  I ended up bringing a few from home because yes, we did need a few at some point.

Wish I could have given you my dad's.....he had a huge zip lock full of old rubber bands, some of them fell apart before I even got them out of the bag and sorted.

5 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I would think most throw them out.   If you really needed some, amazon sells them new.  🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I keep random rubber bands because I do occasionally need one but have literally never seen them on a store shelf. 

3 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

I keep random rubber bands because I do occasionally need one but have literally never seen them on a store shelf. 

I have seen them at Target at the office stationery aisle and also at office supply stores like Office Depot.

https://www.target.com/p/u-brands-275ct-rubber-band-ball-assorted-colors/-/A-14072017

https://www.target.com/p/300ct-rubber-band-size-19-3-1-2-39-39-x-1-16-39-39-tan-up-38-up-8482/-/A-83901179

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/726291/Rubberbands-Astd-Sz-1-4Lb/

Edited by Arcadia
typo
  • Like 3