Menu

Tea - What's your favorite kind?

I love chai tea and normally drink it everyday - any brand.

For Christmas, my sis sent us a pound of San Mateo Loose Yerba Mate tea. It is horrid, but I have been drinking it every day because it is full of antioxidants. It is suppose to help you think clearer, increase energy, aid in weight loss and aid in elimination. All that from one tea. LOL! I tried adding a little milk and stevia sweetner, but it is still terrible.

My favortie tea is Tetley Orange Pekoe. Can't get it in the States(at least not the same kind) so every summer when I go to Canada to visit family, I buy 3 or 4 large boxes of it. I'm a pot a day(at least) tea drinker.

:lurk5::bigear::tongue_smilie:(for ds)

That is a really good tea. We had it in a B&B in Victoria and were surprised when the innkeeper told us it was Tetley Orange Pekoe. It makes a great iced tea here in the States, but the Canadian kind is different.

Karen, you are such an opportunist! ;)

I haven't seen in mentioned, though I have also not read every post. Dh and I switched from coffee to tea about a year ago, and yerba mate is our now our choice of beverage in the mornings. We didn't know anything about the "celebrity" endorsements, we just liked the taste and the fact that a local coffee house has a ready brewed mate all the time. Good stuff.

Otherwise, we enjoy genmaicha (green tea w/ brown rice), as well as some herbal teas such as rooibos and a handful of the Yogi and Celestial Seasonings teas.

The only teas I generally dislike are the Zinger teas. Not a big fan of citrus tea, although I did try a cup of Acai berry and something or other (I think the name ended with zinger) and found it surprisingly enjoyable.

For those of you who listed it as your favorite, what's great about PJ Tips? I'd never even heard of it until this thread.

That is a really good tea. We had it in a B&B in Victoria and were surprised when the innkeeper told us it was Tetley Orange Pekoe. It makes a great iced tea here in the States, but the Canadian kind is different.

Oh, I love it. Dh even got me a Tetley teapot for my birthday this year(they sell them on the back of the box with so many upc's, but again, only to Canadian addresses. I'd thought of using my grandma's address but didn't want her to worry about mailing it since she would even if I asked her to hold it for me until the summer) He found it on ebay. I was so excited!

Thanks everyone. I've recently begun a habit of having a cup of tea before making dinner and all these great suggestions are really helpful.

You have been assimilated.:D

If you drink a black tea, it will taste better if you use actual boiling water, not water heated up in the microwave. I don't know why this is so, but it is. Also, IMHO loose tea tastes better than tea bags; I have little tea pots that make just a couple of cups (depending on the size of the cup/mug) that have infusers and a favorite mug that has its own infuser. For a single cup/mug, check out something like this. I prefer a mesh or metal infuser over a ceramic one because with the ceramic infuser little dregs of tea end up floating around. Eeuu.

Karen, you are such an opportunist! ;)

I haven't seen in mentioned, though I have also not read every post. Dh and I switched from coffee to tea about a year ago, and yerba mate is our now our choice of beverage in the mornings. We didn't know anything about the "celebrity" endorsements, we just liked the taste and the fact that a local coffee house has a ready brewed mate all the time. Good stuff.

I used to drink Mate when I had a low thyroid. I recently told a friend about it and she looked into it. Turns out that there are a whole host of studies now saying that it increases your risk of bladder cancer. Just thought you miht want to know, if you haven't heard that before. :o

Just back from Wegman's where they had a bunch of Republic of Tea gift sets for the same price as a regular tin. I got Peach Ginger and Kiwi Pear. I also purchased Yogi Detox and and a chocolate chai from the loose teas. The Jasmine Pearl loose tea is now $78.99 a lb :ohmy: I hope TJ keeps stocking it.

I second this. I knew there was one I was missing. I get this one in huge bags from Whole Foods and make my own tea bags to make big pitchers of iced tea. The blackberry sage is really good too.

Blackberry Sage! That's what I was trying to remember. It's not Rosemary Something, like I said in my original post. (Where's the little emoticon of a wee person slapping her forehead?)

I used to drink Mate when I had a low thyroid. I recently told a friend about it and she looked into it. Turns out that there are a whole host of studies now saying that it increases your risk of bladder cancer. Just thought you miht want to know, if you haven't heard that before. :o

I had not heard that before and appreciate the tip. I've spent a portion of early day reading about this, and as is typical in my investigations of this sort of thing, I find conflicting evidence. However, there does appear to be one constant, that is the use of the words "heavy consumers" alongside those with increased cancer risk. I finally found one study that described "heavy" as more than 1.5 liters per day. That at least give me some level of comfort regarding the quantities that we have been consuming, which generally falls in the 12-24 oz./day range (not quite 3/4 of one liter). Still, it give me pause to learn these facts and nudges me toward the green tea that loved before our more recent switch to mate. Thanks!!

What an interesting thread! I'm pretty boring most of the time, sipping Red Rose Earl Grey all day long (but I hate Red Rose black tea... ugh!). About 5 p.m., I switch to Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime. When I'm feeling spunky, I have some chai. We get David Rio brand when we can, but I settle for Celestial Seasonings sometimes. I often mix in a scoop of hot cocoa. My favorite David Rio is Tiger but my kids like the Elephant (vanilla) so much that they call all chai "elephant tea."

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

I am also a fan of the Trader Joe's Jasmine Pearl Tea. The sachet it comes in just makes the experience all the more pleasurable for me.

I normally drink mostly green tea. My favorite is the organic green tea by Celestial Seasonings.

If you like loose leaf tea, all of the ones I have had from Teavana have been amazing. But I am not sure if Teavana is a national store or not. The have amazing tea pots and sets as well. Expensive, but beautiful.

Oh, how I love tea!

We're not too fancy here...

Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime (chamomile/mint)

or their Madgascar Red - Rooibos (hubs fave)

I also generally have Tazo Awake on hand, though am presently out. And their Zen (green tea). Either one of which taste fab with a splash of Starbucks vanilla syrup, fyi ;)

http://www.specialteas.com

After buying fun tea at the mall I looked for a place on line that was much cheaper and better than the grocery store brands.

I found special teas. July of this year was my first order. My husband loved their loose peppermint tea. I made huge bats of it in my soup cooker with a tea filter like a little tube sock. DH said it had a much cleaner taste that the grocery store brands. Also, I stepped the tea for only 7 min per the specialtea customer service advice.

My favorite flavor was Rooibos Lemon Chiffon which they won an award for. It was very creamy and smooth! LOVED IT!

http://www.specialteas.com/Lemon/781-Rooibos-Lemon-Chiffon.html

http://www.specialteas.com/Tea-Preparation/Paper-Tea-Filter-For-Pots-Box-of-60.html

I love tea and prefer loose tea, usually flavored black teas. My all-time favorite is Harney & Sons Indian Spice, which is wonderful when you follow their directions for making chai but also nice with just a spash of half-n-half and sugar. An awesome dessert tea for when you want chocolate but not the calories is Harney & Sons Chocolate Mint--delectable!

I love Harney and Sons tea. I have a closet full and drink it all the time. My current drink of choice is Chocolate Chai. I blend their Chocolate tea and Indian Spice tea about 50/50 in a large canister. Two cups water, one cup milk, and three teaspoons of my blend plus lots of sugar. Yummy, yummy. I love this stuff so much that I buy it by the pound!

Oh, yum! I'll have to try this! I love Harney & Sons, too!