Menu

What are your "I can't even" dinner ideas?

alysee

Regarding the egg steamer, I bought this exact one in 2017 and it is still going strong and is amazing at cooking perfectly boiled eggs. No gray around the yolk and easy to peel! Total game changer. Plus, it’s surprisingly cheaper now. I paid $14.99 and now some colors are $12-ish. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Boiled shrimp--it only takes a few minutes to boil and then can be refrigerated and served on ice with cocktail sauce alongside a salad or raw veggies.  Or, we might make a salad or past dish with some of the shrimp.  

Melon with some mint and feta cheese is cool and refreshing, as well as yogurt-based fruit soups and smoothies.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mmasc said:

Regarding the egg steamer, I bought this exact one in 2017 and it is still going strong and is amazing at cooking perfectly boiled eggs. No gray around the yolk and easy to peel! Total game changer. Plus, it’s surprisingly cheaper now. I paid $14.99 and now some colors are $12-ish. 

I'm not a fan of single purpose gadgets but I bought one of these. Ds and is gf are always making soft-medium boiled eggs for their ramen dishes and dh and I like hard boiled eggs in salads. Also, I never make poached eggs because I never get them right. I'm planning to try them in this gadget. It will be here Friday. I can't wait.

• Like 4

Fish sticks, flour tortillas, bagged southwest salad = fish tacos

—— also in this vein, you can put rice, beans, and leftover meats or veggies in the rice cooker to make a burrito filling  or just a rice bowl. 

pierogis, smoked sausage, peppers and onions

Smoothie

grilled cheese and tomato soup (homemade tomato soup is so good and easy and you probably have the ingredients on hand)

pasta primavera or fried rice with whatever random veggies come out of the fridge or garden  

chicken salad sandwiches or any tea sandwiches and fruit

The Costco rotisserie chicken and a salad

make kabobs in bulk. Do cubes of chicken, beef, and lamb in whatever marinade you love.  Divide them into manageable portions and freeze.  Then you just have to thaw and skewer with veggies when you want an easy grilled dinner. Serve with rice and cous cous or as a pita sandwich  with whatever sauce your people like.

I’m talking a big game but we just got back from the kabob place where we ordered enough food to have leftovers for tomorrow  😬

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Tonight I took a frozen rotisserie chicken (we get them super cheap from a food club) and thawed it overnight and then put it on low in the crockpot.   No work and it was nice and warm when we were ready to eat.

I cooked up some pasta and sprinkled with spinach herb seasoning and Parmesan.  Then we had frozen green beans.

Still some cooking but pretty easy.

• Like 2

I got really lucky tonight. While was standing in the kitchen thinking "I can't even", I remembered that I had a package of ground pork--not frozen! And at the same time by some miracle I have green onions in the fridge that haven't gone bad. So I made the super easy peanut dragon noodles from Budget Bytes. This dish makes my youngest ridiculously happy. 😉

• Like 4

2 hours ago, popmom said:

I got really lucky tonight. While was standing in the kitchen thinking "I can't even", I remembered that I had a package of ground pork--not frozen! And at the same time by some miracle I have green onions in the fridge that haven't gone bad. So I made the super easy peanut dragon noodles from Budget Bytes. This dish makes my youngest ridiculously happy. 😉

We love dragon noodles! I add some sesame oil. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

you know.... I almost did that tonight. I picked it up and thought about it, but I put it back. lol I'll do that next time. Thanks!

10 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

I had never heard of this but have the sauce on my grocery list.  This looks easy and yummy

• Like 3

The other night, we had these lemon garlic butter beans with a flatbread. I simplified it by omitting parsley, lemon slices, parmesan, etc., and just used soy milk instead of yogurt. Very good.

We do a big salad at least once a week, with white beans, green beans, often red potatoes, cucumber, tomato, spinach, and a little carrot. I used to do scrambled eggs and peas fairly often as well.

I'm usually able to get a start on making dinner earlier in the day, so it isn't a zillion degrees by the time I'm trying to summon the energy.

• Like 1

Last night dinner was a tomato and bacon sandwich on yummy whole wheat sourdough from Costco. 5 mins to make and delicious!

I try to keep cooked bacon handy for things like that. I hide it in the veggie drawer where my voracious 17 yo who doesn’t live veggies will never find it! 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I had never heard of this but have the sauce on my grocery list.  This looks easy and yummy

I change the proportions a bit to use more meat when I am cooking for men. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Just riffing off your comment here 'cause it made me think of sauces and such. 

I find I can pull a lot of things together quickly when I have a good variety of seasonings in the spice cupboard and the fridge. So we have chili garlic sauce, sweet chili sauce, sriracha, different hot sauces etc on hand at all times. Also various Mexican salsas and such, as quesadillas are a frequent lunch or dinner in our house. 

I am careful to monitor their ages and use them up. Or, if I buy something for one recipe and then don't make that thing or something similar again, I likely won't buy it again. Condiments are tricky with regard to fridge life. Fish sauce, for example, reportedly lasts "forever." I am cognizant of the fact that food waste is a problem and try to be smart about it. 

Also, I frequent sites that offer substitutions for ingredients and that helps. Over time I've learned what flavors go together and what I can sub or not. Or just leave out. 

Anyway, that helps me a lot. Peanut noodles are an awesome "I can't even" dinner and easy when the pantry/fridge are well-stocked. 

• Like 2

Coconut curry ramen with some tofu or rotisserie chx is another fast and easy dish that we got from Budget Bytes. Ramen is not healthy food, but it’s fast, easy, and cheap and sometimes that is what we need! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, popmom said:

8 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

We love Budget Bytes!

Beth has retired and is only working as a consultant with the website.

She added staff & expanded with new contributors years ago and I felt like the site lost her voice.

• Sad 2

Show of hands if you order that take-out option that you know will be 2-3 meals for you. I’ve been known to tell DH, “This will also be my dinner tomorrow so you might want to order another entree to go if you don’t want to cook for yourself.”

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Show of hands if you order that take-out option that you know will be 2-3 meals for you. I’ve been known to tell DH, “This will also be my dinner tomorrow so you might want to order another entree to go if you don’t want to cook for yourself.”

We'd never be able to afford to go out to eat with that strategy but it is a known fact that a normal restaurant meal will serve me for several meals and while I'm enjoying that dinner multiple times over, DH will be eating leftovers since he has no desire to show restrain when eating and will eat all the restaurant food in one sitting even if he's full "because it tastes good".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I do make things in bulk for multiple days quite often.   This works better when the college boys are actually IN college! hahaha.

For easy, I throw something in the air fryer (meat of some sort) and use the rice cooker for a pot of rice, and add frozen veggies of some sort.

45 minutes ago, SHP said:

I am over here like my go to meal when I "can't even" is a frozen pizza. 

You all are a bunch of overachievers.

Yeah, my response was going to be loaded tater tots…😆 Some of these ideas I’ve never had and would have to work to make them happen. It’s funny how different things are in different parts of the country. I love all discussions about food. Now that my kids are getting older, I’m looking at food less as a necessity and more of an interesting hobby.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I do make things in bulk for multiple days quite often.   This works better when the college boys are actually IN college! hahaha.

For easy, I throw something in the air fryer (meat of some sort) and use the rice cooker for a pot of rice, and add frozen veggies of some sort.

So many people packing lunches in my family this summer, so I’ve been slow cooking a couple of roasts in the crockpot every Monday with a different flavor profile. This week it was a Mediterranean profile and I made a big batch of couscous, have bagged salad, tortillas and tortilla chips. Made a tzatziki sauce and have purple onions and sliced cucumbers. So the people packing can make a wrap, nachos, a salad or a couscous bowl. Last week it was pulled beef bbq, next week it’s carnita meat. I was afraid everyone would get tired of so much roast, but the variety has kept everyone happy. I also bulk bought granola bars, peanut butter crackers and fruit cups at Sam’s. It reduced my stress considerably over making sure everyone could find something for lunch everyday. And since we raise our own beef, it’s cheaper than lunchmeat sandwiches. I also keep peanut butter and jelly on hand too

• Like 5

1 minute ago, saraha said:

So many people packing lunches in my family this summer, so I’ve been slow cooking a couple of roasts in the crockpot every Monday with a different flavor profile. This week it was a Mediterranean profile and I made a big batch of couscous, have bagged salad, tortillas and tortilla chips. Made a tzatziki sauce and have purple onions and sliced cucumbers. So the people packing can make a wrap, nachos, a salad or a couscous bowl. Last week it was pulled beef bbq, next week it’s carnita meat. I was afraid everyone would get tired of so much roast, but the variety has kept everyone happy. I also bulk bought granola bars, peanut butter crackers and fruit cups at Sam’s. It reduced my stress considerably over making sure everyone could find something for lunch everyday. And since we raise our own beef, it’s cheaper than lunchmeat sandwiches. I also keep peanut butter and jelly on hand too

I should get more crockpot meals going.   My husband wants beef about once or twice a month, he is a chicken guy, so I need to find some things.   Although he also does a lot of cooking himself and loves the smoker, so we will do that sometimes too.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2024 at 9:39 PM, popmom said:

Hormel Chili from a can. Sometimes I add canned diced tomatoes. 

dh and the kids make a lot of frozen pizza on the "fend for yourselves" nights. Red Baron is our preference. 😉

🙋‍♀️ here's your underachiever! It's me! 

1 hour ago, SHP said:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, DawnM said:

I should get more crockpot meals going.   My husband wants beef about once or twice a month, he is a chicken guy, so I need to find some things.   Although he also does a lot of cooking himself and loves the smoker, so we will do that sometimes too.

I can’t even imagine beef once or twice a month. I didn’t learn to cook until after marrying into a beef cattle family, and we have beef once or twice a day. We have chicken too, but they are the luxury.

Edited by saraha

7 hours ago, popmom said:

🙋‍♀️ here's your underachiever! It's me! 

Red Baron is also the preferred brand of frozen pizza here. 

Red Baron: Dinner for underachievers

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, SHP said:

I can't believe I left frozen things off my list: pizza, taquitos, buffalo style chicken nuggets. 

An idea I found somewhere that my husband and I like:  frozen taquitos in a baking pan; pour over some enchilada sauce (red or green), grate cheese over top. Bake covered till they are cooked through (about 15-20 minutes worked for us) and then uncover so cheese can get a little browned and crusty. It's a decent substitute for enchiladas, though my one kid who loves taquitos won't eat them, because they aren't crispy cooked this way. Of course taquitos out of the oven with no embellishment are great too! 

A salad of romaine, blue cheese dressing, and buffalo chicken nuggets is a good quick thing here, if I happen to have blue cheese around. 

When I can find them, I stock up on Mama Cozzi Buffalo chicken pizzas (Aldi brand). To us they are the best frozen pizzas. The Sabatasso brand is good too; we buy the mini pizzas in a big box from Costco - these aren't buffalo chicken, just "regular" pepperoni and cheese. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, saraha said:

I can’t even imagine beef once or twice a month. I didn’t learn to cook until after marrying into a beef cattle family, and we have beef once or twice a day. We have chickens too, but they are the luxury.

With beef well over $5/pound here we don’t eat nearly as much beef as we do chicken (on sale boneless for $2/pound) or meatless bean dishes.  But for you, chicken is likely more expensive.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

With beef well over $5/pound here we don’t eat nearly as much beef as we do chicken (on sale boneless for $2/pound) or meatless bean dishes.  But for you, chicken is likely more expensive.

Oh absolutely. I often take pictures of beef prices at the store and send to dh to remind him how much his work helps our family. I constantly remind my kids how for us burgers are cheaper than bologna sandwiches, but life not at home will be very different.
We had steaks for ds’s birthday and I priced out what that meal would cost at a restaurant, if we had to buy everything at the store, and how much it actually cost me just to remind them to keep expectations in check.

• Like 1

I like to turn all taco leftovers into frozen burritos for future meals. I’m also a big frozen taquitos or tamales fan.  I even like those thin frozen pizzas with the little pepperoni cubes that used to be a dollar. 

• Like 2

On 7/16/2024 at 12:50 PM, regentrude said:

How do you make your falafel? I find it such a production that I save that for days when I have lots of time and energy. 

I soak 2 cups of chickpeas overnight then the next day drain them and food-process them in two batches, each has a bunch of parsley and cilantro, 3 garlic cloves, 1/2 an onion, lemon juice and olive oil to soften, lots of cumin, cardamom, salt, black pepper, and cayenne. I make them into patties like burgers rather than balls and freeze them on a sheet tray then bag them up. I used to make huge batches that was more of production but find that the two cups of chickpeas makes plenty and is way less effort.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2024 at 9:31 AM, marbel said:

Condiments are tricky with regard to fridge life.

My fridge is currently 2/3 condiments, 1/3 actual food. They're staging a coup. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 7/18/2024 at 6:43 PM, ScoutTN said:

peach siracha,

Whaaaaat? Yum! Never seen it.

Oh dear, editing to say this is how my condiments have become such a problem.

Edited by Eos
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eos said:

Whaaaaat? Yum! Never seen it.

Oh dear, editing to say this is how my condiments have become such a problem.

I got it from a local vendor at the Farmers’ market. It’s tasty, but not hot enough.

IMG_2104.thumb.jpeg.05ff1add850a4a1fa55b4c5b3a292114.jpeg

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1