Menu

May 2024 craft/ sewing/ knitting/creator thread

2 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I am mending the quilt the boardies made me 10 years ago. ❤️

Lots of love and comforting hugs to you Rosie.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not a whole lot going on this month.

I helped ds finish his kilt last week, but now that it has time to sit again I may take it apart and redo it better for the next use.

I have a blanket to plan out, and I've already got in orders for hockey Christmas ornaments.  As soon as I have a firm color match I'll start on those.

• Like 4

I am finishing up an afghan I have been crocheting this winter. It will be a wedding gift later this summer.

we have 3 weddings between August and October….I  have 2 afghans to get done!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I am mending the quilt the boardies made me 10 years ago. ❤️

The juxtaposition of the ten year old quilt with the 2014 in the title vs. 2024 is giving me the giggles. Accidental humor is fun, and multiplicative accidental humor just tickles me.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

This probably doesn't count, but I've been having fun taking dirty / old Barbie and fashion dolls from garage sales and restoring them for my favorite thrift shop. I just found the BEST thing for tangled, matted doll hair--synthetic wig detangling spray! The tangles come out like magic and it makes the hair smooth and shiny, with no residue at all. I also found that a human wig brush with metal pins works wonderfully--plastic brushes tend to rip out doll hair.

It's also fun to wash a bag full of musty smelling doll clothing from a garage sale and find some treasures, like homemade dresses from the 70's and 80's (real snaps! no velcro!) and Collector's Edition dresses (high quality, with beautiful fabrics). 

This is my fun thing. 🙂 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 10

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, MercyA said:

This probably doesn't count, but I've been having fun taking dirty / old Barbie and fashion dolls from garage sales and restoring them for my favorite thrift shop. I just found the BEST thing for tangled, matted doll hair--synthetic wig detangling spray! The tangles come out like magic and it makes the hair smooth and shiny, with no residue at all. I also found that a human wig brush with metal pins works wonderfully--plastic brushes tend to rip out doll hair.

It's also fun to wash a bag full of musty smelling doll clothing from a garage sale and find some treasures, like homemade dresses from the 70's and 80's (real snaps! no velcro!) and Collector's Edition dresses (high quality, with beautiful fabrics). 

This is my fun thing. 🙂 

Mercy, it totally counts! Please don't  devalue the joy your craft is bringing you, we are interested to see you work the magic. Melissa didn't eject me from the group when I posted a picture of the electrical job I did in the garage, so surely your doll refurbishments are safe here!

ETA -  I felt like it sounded harsh, not what I intended.

Edited by Miss Tick
anxiety
  • Like 6

I'm visiting with an Aunt and Cousin next week. I haven't seen them in years. My aunt is one of my earliest sewing inspirations and I'm sure I've never told her that. I've sewn a little zipper bag for each of them.

PXL_20240508_200039761.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Miss Tick said:

I'm visiting with an Aunt and Cousin next week. I haven't seen them in years. My aunt is one of my earliest sewing inspirations and I'm sure I've never told her that. I've sewn a little zipper bag for each of them.

PXL_20240508_200039761.jpg

Really cute!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My most recent batch of bookmarks ~

I made this for a board friend who had mentioned that Harriet the Spy was a favorite childhood book.

Front ~

20240418_095403.thumb.jpg.b35c418f445eb6455a75c016b54cff53.jpg

Back ~

20240418_095417.thumb.jpg.cb9eeee30993363a2b54f1e91137955a.jpg

For a longtime friend who loves dahlias, I made this bookmark.

Front ~

20240418_095520.thumb.jpg.358957fdafe8aba99f72c433804285e9.jpg

Back ~

20240418_095528.thumb.jpg.01cec62fc17d109ea73b932b24f04af1.jpg

Her husband, also a longtime friend, has a vegetable garden, so I made this bookmark for him.

Front ~

20240418_095448.thumb.jpg.3a7597caca66393cca3f3ec1cac9d49f.jpg

Back ~

20240418_095506.thumb.jpg.d07a6ad69f8c8eade6c0bd9b063cfc46.jpg

And for another board friend with a large garden, I made the following bookmark.

Front ~

20240418_095431.thumb.jpg.c435308f343c57ce0f4428557c62eb19.jpg

Back ~

20240418_095439.thumb.jpg.9955a358ce292f0db07b1b3377d5e02d.jpg

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on a Regency dress using Indian block print cotton. Here's the bodice before I added the liner and made the ruffles... Which turned out horribly. I was in a rush and didn't press the ruffles before sewing so they ended up looking like poorly-done crooked pleats. Woops! I'll take some black ribbon and strategically place a bow to hide it. I'm making the skirt narrower than the pattern calls for. 

IMG_20240517_235400.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Afghan #1 is done!

started #2…We have  3 weddings (2 in August, 1 in October)and these are standard gifts for me. 

I also have 2 special babies due in November…a great niece and a dear friend’s daughter is pregnant after many years of thinking she wasn’t ever going to get pregnant..she’s 38!
Trying  to decide what to make for them. 

IMG_4015.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I couldn't find a way to upload the picture of the exact one I did, so I am attaching a picture of the kit from online.

These miniature kits are my new obsession! I also do the Book Nook ones that go in between books on the bookshelf.

I just find them so relaxing to do!

713fL2Yn+OL._AC_SX466_.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Home'scool said:

I couldn't find a way to upload the picture of the exact one I did, so I am attaching a picture of the kit from online.

These miniature kits are my new obsession! I also do the Book Nook ones that go in between books on the bookshelf.

Really cute!

2 hours ago, mlktwins said:

Still cross-stitching here. Both boys are home from school (so happy to have them home) and my dad is on home hospice, but trying to get some stitching done when I can. It relaxes me 😊.

I taught a young family member to cross-stitch last week!

I have a simple flowers in a jar pattern that I work on, but I am slacking as I don’t have a specific project to do when it’s finished. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Home'scool said:

Very cute

Posted (edited)

I hurt my neck/upper back so no sewing machine. The Regency dress is still hanging. In the meantime, I found this cute bergeret hat on Etsy. It's $200 so I decided to make one inspired by it, using a cheap sunhat and about $10 in ribbons and fake roses. 🙂 I can do this while lying on a heating pad. 

il_794xN.4251274113_8o68.jpg

IMG_20240524_120058568_HDR.jpg

Edit: All finished! 😁

IMG_20240524_205223284.jpg

IMG_20240524_205105650.jpg

Edited by wisdomandtreasures
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2024 at 11:10 AM, Home'scool said:

How do I search for this? My dd has enjoyed Book Nooks, and might like these. Very cute!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, LinRTX said:

Crocheted some fun bags for my grandchildren.

20130214_025443.jpg

Cute!

I've been working on toiletry travel bags this weekend. I wanted something fairly waterproof, and easy to look into. Here's my final version made with oil cloth.

PXL_20240527_202029529.jpg

PXL_20240527_202132173.jpg

Edited by Miss Tick
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 5/25/2024 at 8:39 PM, Miss Tick said:

How do I search for this? My dd has enjoyed Book Nooks, and might like these. Very cute!

I usually buy them off of Amazon. The one that I posted is the brand Roroom but there are a lot under different names.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Adorable!

Thank you! The pattern was not very well written, so I struggled a bit. I improvised what wasn’t making sense. 

There is a knitting pattern that was first, I think, and that is apparently great. But I don’t knit. 

• Like 2