Menu

Wegman's is coming to town!

sheryl

We are getting a Wegman's in Charlotte, 2026.  

So, tell me about the store.   Do's.  Don'ts. Prices.  Sales.  Customer card sales or no (you know, the little VIP card that's used to kick in sales).  Selection.  Organics?  International?  

Tell me.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Wegmans is nice for a number of reasons. They treat their staff well. We like them because their produce is generally good, although the quality can vary by store. It depends on the manager. But you can find weird items like dragon fruit that you can't get elsewhere. They have specialty items, but their selection of something like spaghetti sauce might not be as large as other stores. They seem to have organic versions of most things.  They have a wide selection of meals to go, pizza, subs, sushi, as well as pre-made things you can pop into the oven or microwave. There are some store brand things I like better than others. Getting a store card for sales is worth it. Customer service has always been excellent. The stores always look nice; I've been in ones that might look older, but never run down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wegmans is awesome!   As Knitgirl said, they treat their staff very well.   The "to-go" and prepared foods are super expensive.  However, the rest of the store is very well priced.   For a splurge, get their chocolate chip cookies (15.00 for 15 cookies and worth every penny), they are the best cookies I have ever had.   Their store brand items are as good, if not better, than name brand items.    Their produce is fresh and typically in good shape.  They have a wide variety as well.   Wegmans has spoiled me for other stores and I do most of my weekly shopping there now.   Congratulations on getting one near you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love Wegman's though it's not close enough to use as my "regular" store. I've found that everyday items such as flour/other baking needs, canned beans, dairy products, eggs, packaged cheeses are comparable to Aldi in price and are high quality. But meat, bakery items, and cheeses from the nice cheese area are pretty expensive for me.  My last birthday cake came from them and wow it was delicious! Produce here is always very good quality; sometimes it's priced competitively, sometimes not. 

The stores have wide aisles, the carts don't squeak, and they are always well-stocked. Oh, their personal care/OTC meds are also well-priced (Walmart/Target level) which is nice. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sheryl said:

We are getting a Wegman's in Charlotte, 2026.  

So, tell me about the store.   Do's.  Don'ts. Prices.  Sales.  Customer card sales or no (you know, the little VIP card that's used to kick in sales).  Selection.  Organics?  International?  

Tell me.  Thanks!

Not for anything, but if you are this excited about a grocery store opening in your area two years from now, you need to start getting out more. 😉 

But to answer your question -- some Wegman's stores are great and some aren't anything to write home about. (We have one really good one and one newer one that always seems to sell a lot of expired/not-so-fresh stuff, so I think things can vary quite a bit from one store to the next.) The "good" Wegman's near us has a pretty impressive bakery selection and the prepared food area is extensive (and there is a nice eating area in the store so you can buy your meal/beverages/desserts and eat them there.) The regular food selection is comparable to other grocery stores in our area and the prices are similar, too. 

Hopefully, your store will be one of the really big ones with lots of bakery and prepared meal options! If it's the first one in your area, they will probably go out of their way to make it extra-nice, so they can develop a good reputation there. 🙂 

• Like 1

Pros: The store brand is great. I can tell at a glance if something is appropriate to buy. They have a *lot* of gluten-free and vegan items. This is where most of my grocery money goes despite the less-than-ideal location.

Cons: At mine, the produce section is designed horribly both for finding/comparing items and for flow of shoppers, wasting my time and probably money. There's a loyalty program, but I don't really see any savings from it. Prices for curbside are higher than in-store, which is understandable, but not equally higher among items, and the GF bread products in particular can be marked up by two dollars an item. They stock a ton of SKUs, but especially in produce, that means items get depleted--they're out of something on my list almost every time.

With the length of those two lists, it sounds like I don't like them. But in fact, I've spent nearly $16k there in the past three years, giving me plenty of opportunities to see the flaws.

Edited by 73349
  • Like 1

I love Wegmans. It's my favorite store to be inside but it's too expensive for every day shopping. I think their family packs are a good deal and the generic can sometimes be just as cheap as other places, but everything else is $$. We've used them for catering often and it's always been good. 

• Like 2

OK, thanks!  This is very helpful and you all seem to be saying the same thing.  I guess since I'm stuck on King Arthur flour, I don't need to pay a premium at Wegman's but if it's competitively-priced then why not.  I think I have a good idea.  

Based on the location here, it will "probably" be one of the BIG stores mentioned.  Publix came in a while back and they are expanding like crazy here.  I like Publix but not the produce.   They (for the most part) have friendly staff.  Each person seems to take pride in what they do.  The stores are clean.  The bathrooms are CLEAN!  The shelves are stocked and nothing looks empty or moldy.  

I probably won't be buying the meals to go.  I will buy 1 maybe 2-3 times a year from Fresh Market when I just don't feel like making dinner because I have become busier and busier (that's for you Catwoman) 🙂  but maybe.  What is the price for one of those?   Does it feed 2 or 4?  Produce and organic produce is very important to me.  I like fresh, tender yet deep colors in my foods.   Sounds funny.  I saw some celery at another well known store here which was anemic looking.   It was the ugliest white/green!  That's what I mean.  

The personal care products and their name brand sound interesting and promising to me.  What is their house brand name?  Is it Wegman's or do they use another name?

Any specific store-label items to try?  

I love Wegmans too. Started going there only for the produce, but now I shop there for everything. Store is always clean. Some are fancier than others. Once in cities tend to be pretty ordinary, but I’ve been in some that have a European feel, or a second floor eating area, or a piano player on Saturdays. 

My son lived in Florida for five years and the Publix wasn’t too bad, but the produce was a constant disappointment at Publix. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

Not for anything, but if you are this excited about a grocery store opening in your area two years from now, you need to start getting out more. 😉 

But to answer your question -- some Wegman's stores are great and some aren't anything to write home about. (We have one really good one and one newer one that always seems to sell a lot of expired/not-so-fresh stuff, so I think things can vary quite a bit from one store to the next.) The "good" Wegman's near us has a pretty impressive bakery selection and the prepared food area is extensive (and there is a nice eating area in the store so you can buy your meal/beverages/desserts and eat them there.) The regular food selection is comparable to other grocery stores in our area and the prices are similar, too. 

Hopefully, your store will be one of the really big ones with lots of bakery and prepared meal options! If it's the first one in your area, they will probably go out of their way to make it extra-nice, so they can develop a good reputation there. 🙂 

This is true. The first one I went to was in Princeton NJ and it was awesome. Food bars, child care, super nice. The one in Syracuse is just a grocery store. The Wegmans in my town is nice. It has two floors and a place on the escalator to stow your cart so it can travel up with you. 

It’s expensive, but generally you get what you pay for. Not like Giant where they have no business costing what they do. At ours, the hot food section never returned to its former pre-pandemic glory, but they still have really nice breads, produce, meat, sushi, and seafood.

Weirdly, they’re the only place in town with the big cans of powdered Gatorade. DH thought their store brand soda was good, but they recently discontinued it. It’s one of those stores that seems to have everything. Not just Kalamata olives, but the pitted ones too. Heck, they have a whole olive bar. They always have fresh muscles. They keep clotted cream in stock. They always have lamb and bison.  They used to have bulk nuts and candy but that got reworked during Covid. Now they have it in pre measured amounts. My mom looked for, and found, Bridge Mix there and I’d never heard of Bridge Mix. They have crab pretzels. They have a coffee shop and giant take-out pizzas. They must be 16”.  The box will cover your whole stovetop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wegman’s is great for anyone with allergies. They carry a lot of allergy friendly and celiac friendly products. They label their store brand well, too, and list “may contains.”

We shop at Wegman’s most of the time. It’s generally our first stop, but there are a few items we get elsewhere. 

They have special events which can be nice, too. Ours has Hatch chile roasting in the parking lot when in season, and we always get three cases to process, freeze and eat through the year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 73349 said:

The store brand items say Wegmans. Example:

wegmans.jpg

Their frozen blueberries are really good. Much better than our regular store, but not as good as freezing them ourselves. Which, you can't really blame them for that.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Inexplicably, there is a model train running above the dairy section and a rooster that occasionally crows. I don’t know why or if it’s every store. 

At my store the rooster crows every hour on the hour.   We also have the model train running above the dairy section.  I don't know why it's there but it is fun and I have noticed little kids absolutely thrilled with it when they spot it.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I love Wegmans too. Started going there only for the produce, but now I shop there for everything. Store is always clean. Some are fancier than others. Once in cities tend to be pretty ordinary, but I’ve been in some that have a European feel, or a second floor eating area, or a piano player on Saturdays. 

My son lived in Florida for five years and the Publix wasn’t too bad, but the produce was a constant disappointment at Publix. 

Yes, Amethyst, I agree.  Publix is such a step up over the evolving Harris Teeter.  When HT was owned by the families 30 years ago, it was prime.  They were "the" grocery store.   But, maybe 10 years ago, give or take,  Kroger bought HT.  They kept the HT name but Kroger owns it.   Not bashing Kroger as I'm originally from Ohio where I grew up with Kroger and Big Bear BUT Kroger is HUGE and gobbled up HT.  Things went downhill over the course of the last 10 years since that took place.  It's ok but definitely NOT what it was - HT, 30 years ago.  

I know the pandemic changed things but I other stores are "keeping up" so why not HT?   

So, I started going to Publix for quite a bit.  I do agree thought that the produce is not the best at Publix.  

12 hours ago, 73349 said:

The store brand items say Wegmans. Example:

wegmans.jpg

Thanks, 73349!  I just made blueberry scones this past Wed!  I appreciate that and have your visual above so I'll keep my eyes open now.  Well, in 2 years LOL!

12 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

This is true. The first one I went to was in Princeton NJ and it was awesome. Food bars, child care, super nice. The one in Syracuse is just a grocery store. The Wegmans in my town is nice. It has two floors and a place on the escalator to stow your cart so it can travel up with you. 

It’s expensive, but generally you get what you pay for. Not like Giant where they have no business costing what they do. At ours, the hot food section never returned to its former pre-pandemic glory, but they still have really nice breads, produce, meat, sushi, and seafood.

Weirdly, they’re the only place in town with the big cans of powdered Gatorade. DH thought their store brand soda was good, but they recently discontinued it. It’s one of those stores that seems to have everything. Not just Kalamata olives, but the pitted ones too. Heck, they have a whole olive bar. They always have fresh muscles. They keep clotted cream in stock. They always have lamb and bison.  They used to have bulk nuts and candy but that got reworked during Covid. Now they have it in pre measured amounts. My mom looked for, and found, Bridge Mix there and I’d never heard of Bridge Mix. They have crab pretzels. They have a coffee shop and giant take-out pizzas. They must be 16”.  The box will cover your whole stovetop. 

So, is it like a WF?  There is a HUGE WF I visited in Ohio (Columbus).  I'm originally from there and a few years ago I needed to go to one for something when dh and I were in Columbus.  It is absolutely huge.  

12 hours ago, Hyacinth said:

Wegmans. Is. The. Best. 
That is all. 

Thanks!   🙂  

12 hours ago, Spryte said:

Wegman’s is great for anyone with allergies. They carry a lot of allergy friendly and celiac friendly products. They label their store brand well, too, and list “may contains.”

We shop at Wegman’s most of the time. It’s generally our first stop, but there are a few items we get elsewhere. 

They have special events which can be nice, too. Ours has Hatch chile roasting in the parking lot when in season, and we always get three cases to process, freeze and eat through the year.

That sounds like fun.  Hatch chile - TJ's had a product, don't remember much about it.  I'd like to buy Harch chili but don't know how to prepare it and in what recipes.  I should Google.  

12 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Inexplicably, there is a model train running above the dairy section and a rooster that occasionally crows. I don’t know why or if it’s every store. 

See, I think that would look/sound fun.  Something different!

12 hours ago, Ditto said:

At my store the rooster crows every hour on the hour.   We also have the model train running above the dairy section.  I don't know why it's there but it is fun and I have noticed little kids absolutely thrilled with it when they spot it.  

I'm not a kid and I'd like it.   LOL!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Paige said:

Wegmans is a destination in itself. 

Right!  I thought that about IKEA and Whole Foods.  Looking forward to this.  Although I don't want to "emotional" buy (buy more than I usually would because of the bells and whistles).  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

I saw that. I could go, and I may just to check it out. It’s too far to be a regular shopping place, and the traffic is a bit heavy. 

I understand.   Earthfare is in the area and while it's gone downhill as well since they were purchased, I still go there for a few things.  I go to too many stores because one has this but the other has that.  Time and gasoline money are valuable too.  I'm working on narrowing my list down - number of stores.  

1 hour ago, sheryl said:

Yes, Amethyst, I agree.  Publix is such a step up over the evolving Harris Teeter.  When HT was owned by the families 30 years ago, it was prime.  They were "the" grocery store.   But, maybe 10 years ago, give or take,  Kroger bought HT.  They kept the HT name but Kroger owns it.   Not bashing Kroger as I'm originally from Ohio where I grew up with Kroger and Big Bear BUT Kroger is HUGE and gobbled up HT.  Things went downhill over the course of the last 10 years since that took place.  It's ok but definitely NOT what it was - HT, 30 years ago.  

I know the pandemic changed things but I other stores are "keeping up" so why not HT?   

So, I started going to Publix for quite a bit.  I do agree thought that the produce is not the best at Publix.  

Thanks, 73349!  I just made blueberry scones this past Wed!  I appreciate that and have your visual above so I'll keep my eyes open now.  Well, in 2 years LOL!

So, is it like a WF?  There is a HUGE WF I visited in Ohio (Columbus).  I'm originally from there and a few years ago I needed to go to one for something when dh and I were in Columbus.  It is absolutely huge.  

Thanks!   🙂  

1 hour ago, sheryl said:

Right!  I thought that about IKEA and Whole Foods.  Looking forward to this.  Although I don't want to "emotional" buy (buy more than I usually would because of the bells and whistles).  🙂

We HAVE a Whole Foods that I can walk to, but I rarely go there.  Somehow it seems like less of  destination and more the store I will go into if I happen to be over there.  Our WF's just isn't on the same scale as our Wegmans.  Wegmans has more inventory, more prepared foods, and more seating.  It's easier to plant yourself at a table at Wegmans and linger with friends for hours.  In Whole Foods I feel obligated to move it along a bit more and they have fewer choices.  Even with outdoor seating, the Wegmans has more outdoor tables on their balcony and patio.  Parking is easier too.  This could all come down to where your buildings are situated.  My WFs is a lakefront building and the parking there is just annoying.  It's where I get a snack if I want to take a walk around the lake and need a tea, pastry, and that one item I forgot to buy for dinner prep.  WF's seems more expensive.  The Amazon delivery situation has claimed some real estate in our store so it feels less nice to hang out in the seating area.  A bigger WF's probably solves most of these problems, but that's not our reality here.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sheryl said:

I understand.   Earthfare is in the area and while it's gone downhill as well since they were purchased, I still go there for a few things.  I go to too many stores because one has this but the other has that.  Time and gasoline money are valuable too.  I'm working on narrowing my list down - number of stores.  

I used to shop at that Earth Fare. It has changed, but I still love it.I stopped going when the traffic through there just got to be too much. It’s the same now with the Trader Joe’s. I can still easily get to the Earth Fare in Fort Mill for some special things. Their good bulk beans selection, for example. 

Now I have easy access to WF on my side of town (not South Park) and Aldi in my own area.

I am REALLY trying to be able to shop without having to go into Walmart and simultaneously not overspend. That proves to be difficult, but I am willing to over pay within limits to avoid that place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

You lucky dog

I go to EVERY other store more than I go to Whole Foods and this includes Giant, which I actually hate. 🤣 They just don’t have anything that I can exclusively get there.  I think I’ve returned Amazon items there as often as I’ve shopped there and I rarely return stuff.

I’ve been known to drive 5 miles to the next town to go to Food Lion because they’re reasonable priced, a smaller store, and less crowded.  Whole Foods is a lovely one mile walk on a paved bike path through the woods (or 3 miles if I drive) and I just never think of it. I am fully aware that I’m spoiled for choice where I live. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Whole Foods is a lovely one mile walk on a paved bike path through the woods

😍 Oh my. 

(I like Food Lion, too). 

ETA: You know, you should walk there on a cool, fall day and get some carrot ginger soup from the food bar. Sit outside on the balcony, sipping slowly on the soup. You know, so I can live vicariously through you! 😊😊😊

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

😍 Oh my. 

(I like Food Lion, too). 

ETA: You know, you should walk there on a cool, fall day and get some carrot ginger soup from the food bar. Sit outside on the balcony, sipping slowly on the soup. You know, so I can live vicariously through you! 😊😊😊

Ok, funny story . . . I like to claim I have a private balcony there. During the pandemic they took out part of the seating space to use as a staging area for delivery services. The way it’s configured it seems like the balcony is off limits. Really it’s not though; you just have to be bold enough to walk through the buzz of employees working there. So, when I’m with my neighborhood walking buddies we sometimes stop for refreshments on “my” balcony. Nobody has ever joined us out there, but I’m not there often enough to know who else is onto this scheme.

The soup does sound really good 😊 

• Haha 2

Our Wegman’s is decent but I have to pass several other grocery stores to get there and their prices are now just as expensive / more expensive than other grocery stores so it doesn’t make as much sense to shop there every week. I was okay with their modest sales / deals when I felt like I could save time and money overall doing our weekly big haul there.

I have a Trader Joe’s equidistant to Wegman’s so that’s been more “worth it” to me because typically their prices are much much better. Whole Foods isn’t much further and we get some favorites from there, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Ok, funny story . . . I like to claim I have a private balcony there. During the pandemic they took out part of the seating space to use as a staging area for delivery services. The way it’s configured it seems like the balcony is off limits. Really it’s not though; you just have to be bold enough to walk through the buzz of employees working there. So, when I’m with my neighborhood walking buddies we sometimes stop for refreshments on “my” balcony. Nobody has ever joined us out there, but I’m not there often enough to know who else is onto this scheme.

The soup does sound really good 😊 

Love that! I don’t think I would figure that out about the balcony….

But I did find a secret bathroom. You have to go upstairs and down a long hall toward the office areas where they used to have cooking classes. There is a bathroom for men and another for women. Beside those is a very large one-toilet bathroom that you can lock. No one is ever in there. I don’t think many people know it’s there. Shhhh.

The carrot ginger soup is good. I hope your store has it. 

On 4/20/2024 at 10:58 AM, KungFuPanda said:

We HAVE a Whole Foods that I can walk to, but I rarely go there.  Somehow it seems like less of  destination and more the store I will go into if I happen to be over there.  Our WF's just isn't on the same scale as our Wegmans.  Wegmans has more inventory, more prepared foods, and more seating.  It's easier to plant yourself at a table at Wegmans and linger with friends for hours.  In Whole Foods I feel obligated to move it along a bit more and they have fewer choices.  Even with outdoor seating, the Wegmans has more outdoor tables on their balcony and patio.  Parking is easier too.  This could all come down to where your buildings are situated.  My WFs is a lakefront building and the parking there is just annoying.  It's where I get a snack if I want to take a walk around the lake and need a tea, pastry, and that one item I forgot to buy for dinner prep.  WF's seems more expensive.  The Amazon delivery situation has claimed some real estate in our store so it feels less nice to hang out in the seating area.  A bigger WF's probably solves most of these problems, but that's not our reality here.

Our WF here is nice  Although the fresh fruits fly out.  I can't compare WF as I haven't been in a Wegman's.  You're saying Wegman's is more like that "event".  🙂 Prepared foods are nice but I don't buy a lot of prepared foods.  Oh, I do but not often!  But, it sounds like they have a lot of variety which is good to know.  Salmon, beef, chicken, etc.  They have prepared meals too, right?  Not just sides.  That's what I buy from Fresh Market on occasion is there prepared meal (dinner).  

On 4/20/2024 at 11:24 AM, Indigo Blue said:

I used to shop at that Earth Fare. It has changed, but I still love it.I stopped going when the traffic through there just got to be too much. It’s the same now with the Trader Joe’s. I can still easily get to the Earth Fare in Fort Mill for some special things. Their good bulk beans selection, for example. 

Now I have easy access to WF on my side of town (not South Park) and Aldi in my own area.

I am REALLY trying to be able to shop without having to go into Walmart and simultaneously not overspend. That proves to be difficult, but I am willing to over pay within limits to avoid that place. 

I enjoy both WF's.  And, the Aldi's in Matthews.  Earthfare in Ft. Mill is a hike but since they were bought out the Ballantyne location "quality" and selection is not what it used to be.  

On 4/20/2024 at 12:41 PM, KungFuPanda said:

I go to EVERY other store more than I go to Whole Foods and this includes Giant, which I actually hate. 🤣 They just don’t have anything that I can exclusively get there.  I think I’ve returned Amazon items there as often as I’ve shopped there and I rarely return stuff.

I’ve been known to drive 5 miles to the next town to go to Food Lion because they’re reasonable priced, a smaller store, and less crowded.  Whole Foods is a lovely one mile walk on a paved bike path through the woods (or 3 miles if I drive) and I just never think of it. I am fully aware that I’m spoiled for choice where I live. 

Yes, we are Food Lion customers too!  There prices are so much better for some of the national brands. 

On 4/20/2024 at 1:26 PM, footballmom said:

Our Wegman’s is decent but I have to pass several other grocery stores to get there and their prices are now just as expensive / more expensive than other grocery stores so it doesn’t make as much sense to shop there every week. I was okay with their modest sales / deals when I felt like I could save time and money overall doing our weekly big haul there.

I have a Trader Joe’s equidistant to Wegman’s so that’s been more “worth it” to me because typically their prices are much much better. Whole Foods isn’t much further and we get some favorites from there, too.

I'm trying to understand so please clarify.  I like Publix a lot (selection, cleanliness of store, customer service - all good!) but you pay for that.  Their prices are more expensive even if it is just a bit.  But, I like the above factors and am willing to shop there for a few things.  Went yesterday in fact.  Is Wegman's more expensive than other grocery stores?  Or, competitive?

4 hours ago, sheryl said:

I'm trying to understand so please clarify.  I like Publix a lot (selection, cleanliness of store, customer service - all good!) but you pay for that.  Their prices are more expensive even if it is just a bit.  But, I like the above factors and am willing to shop there for a few things.  Went yesterday in fact.  Is Wegman's more expensive than other grocery stores?  Or, competitive?

Wegman’s doesn’t have “loss leaders” like the other grocery stores in my area. I used to just do my entire weekly shop at Wegman’s because I was getting better quality for about the same as I would pay at the other stores after shopping loss leaders, plus saving time having only one stop. It made sense.  

Now, Wegman’s prices have gone up significantly and the quality is not as great. My store also seems to have issues getting things in stock that the other stores have. I leave feeling frustrated that I will have more stops to make to fill in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, footballmom said:

Wegman’s doesn’t have “loss leaders” like the other grocery stores in my area. I used to just do my entire weekly shop at Wegman’s because I was getting better quality for about the same as I would pay at the other stores after shopping loss leaders, plus saving time having only one stop. It made sense.  

Now, Wegman’s prices have gone up significantly and the quality is not as great. My store also seems to have issues getting things in stock that the other stores have. I leave feeling frustrated that I will have more stops to make to fill in. 

OK, I appreciate that. I'll try it out when it opens in a few years.  I may stick with Publix, Food Lion, etc. is prices at Wegman's is comparable to other stores.  Or, really if they end up being higher.  I thought you lived in SC?   Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.  

21 hours ago, sheryl said:

Our WF here is nice  Although the fresh fruits fly out.  I can't compare WF as I haven't been in a Wegman's.  You're saying Wegman's is more like that "event".  🙂 Prepared foods are nice but I don't buy a lot of prepared foods.  Oh, I do but not often!  But, it sounds like they have a lot of variety which is good to know.  Salmon, beef, chicken, etc.  They have prepared meals too, right?  Not just sides.  That's what I buy from Fresh Market on occasion is there prepared meal (dinner).  

Wegmans has really nice produce and lots of it. The Wegmans in my town is a much larger store in a much newer building than WF, so I don’t know how much space plays into it. I don’t shop Whole Foods enough to know if it’s more e CT or dive than Wegmans for the things I usually buy. 

Wegmans IS significantly more expensive than Food Lion even when I stick to the basic ingredients for simple from-scratch meals. Even when you skip buying higher priced specialty items it costs more to maintain a clean, modern store with way more options and excellent working conditions for the employees. 

15 hours ago, sheryl said:

OK, I appreciate that. I'll try it out when it opens in a few years.  I may stick with Publix, Food Lion, etc. is prices at Wegman's is comparable to other stores.  Or, really if they end up being higher.  I thought you lived in SC?   Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Wegmans has really nice produce and lots of it. The Wegmans in my town is a much larger store in a much newer building than WF, so I don’t know how much space plays into it. I don’t shop Whole Foods enough to know if it’s more e CT or dive than Wegmans for the things I usually buy. 

Wegmans IS significantly more expensive than Food Lion even when I stick to the basic ingredients for simple from-scratch meals. Even when you skip buying higher priced specialty items it costs more to maintain a clean, modern store with way more options and excellent working conditions for the employees. 

Yes, that is true!  Publix is a bit higher than our well known Harris-Teeter (now owned by Kroger).  Those higher prices at Publix, in my opinion, helps to pay for good employees that "work" the store (straightened shelves).  Publix has not had a bare shelf since I started shopping there during the Pandemic.  

I will focus on produce at Wegman's since I love produce!!  🙂