Menu

March 2024: What are you reading?

Vintage81

12 minutes ago, Vintage81 said:

I really appreciated the topic…while I know about Syria from what I’ve seen on the news, reading about it (even a fictional story) was interesting. I also liked the little bit of magical realism that was thrown into the story. I don’t know how far you got, but there was a huge twist closer to the end that shocked me, so I found that to be pretty impactful. 

I was looking forward to reading the book because of the topic.  I would really like to learn more about Syria. Maybe that's why I was so disappointed with the actual story - too much focus on relationships and not enough about Syria.  When I read the reviews, I saw that there was a twist and considered looking it up when I decided to abandon the book, but I was so annoyed by the book that I decided I didn't care.  Now you got me intrigued and I'll have to look it up.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kassia said:

I've been on hold for this book for a long time at the library - I think I'm still in the 300s on the hold list.  Everyone seems to really like it, but I'm so picky that I don't have high expectations.  

It wasn’t “spectacular” but I did like it. Haven’t read much from that time period when I was born.  My SIL bought it and I read it after her. 

• Like 3

Two more finished yesterday:

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M Miller. @TravelingChris mentioned this in the January thread, which sparked my interest in re-reading it. This time through was different, as is often the case. Right now I'm immersed in how scholars approach ancient literature, and also in various theological discussions, so I was seeing more cross-over with that. Plus these days I'm a little more in tune to seeing themes throughout a work. I found the third section much more intriguing this time around. I'm glad I read it again, and will be thinking about Mrs Grales and Rachel in the days to come. 

Also, it took me this long to read it because I couldn't find it on any of the bookshelves in our house (soooo many bookshelves to search!), yet I knew I owned it. It eventually turned up in Brooklyn ... one of the kids had taken it to share with friends. In the meantime, I got a copy from the public library.

Curveball: When Your Faith Takes Turns You Never Saw Coming (or, How I stumbled and Tripped My Way to Finding  a Bigger God) by Peter Enns. I'm a Pete Enns fan, and heard a suggestion that this might be a good book to read when starting to poke around in actual scholarship on how and when various parts of the Bible were written, plus what the language actually meant at that time. He does wander into topics I tend to gravitate towards, like Near Death Experiences and quantum physics (but not simulation hypothesis, alas). Overall, an interesting read. I got it from the public library, so I had to hand copy all the passages I wanted to save into a notebook. But maybe that's an advantage, as it solidified them better in my mind.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2024 at 6:40 PM, Ottakee said:

Let me know how you like it at the end.  I started it but struggled to get into it ….and ended up returning it when another hold became available.

This was a difficult read, due to the subject matter. It took me a while to get into it. I finished for two reasons. One: It's what my book club is discussing this month. Two: I wanted to know what eventually happened to DoDo. I would rate it a 4 out 5 due to the hard topics that will lead to a good discussion. 

• Like 4

Just finished The Art Thief by Michael Finkel. It details the antics of the most prolific art thief in history (c1990-2005). Crisp writing, fascinating topic. Nonfiction.

I also listened to the audiobook version Better Living Through Birding: Notes From a Black Man in the Natural World by Christian Cooper, read by the author. This is the guy that was birding in Central Park and got “Karen”ed by a woman with an off leash dog. This title appealed to me because I remember that event, and I am a birder. I thought it would be mostly about birding but it was about a LOT more. It is basically Cooper’s memoir as a birding enthusiast who is also a world traveling black queer Marvel comic book editor with FOO issues. It was really interesting so I didn’t mind the extra-birding parts. I always enjoy when an audiobook is read by the actual author. 

Hoping to get in at least two more before March ends, I am behind on my 52 books schedule. 

• Like 5

On 3/16/2024 at 12:02 PM, Vintage81 said:

I’ve thought about reading this one, but after The Four Winds depressed me so much I felt like I had to put Kristin Hannah on pause for a while! 🤣 I’ve seen mostly good things about this new book though. 

Same here. I thought I liked her after The Nightingale and The Great Alone.  But then I read The Four Winds and I don't trust her anymore.

• Like 4

I read "American Born Chinese" by Gene Luen Yang. An 11th grade student of mine is reading it for English class and I am tutoring him tomorrow. It was a good book. Graphic novel and I don't love graphic novels,  but I did enjoy the book.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Same here. I thought I liked her after The Nightingale and The Great Alone.  But then I read The Four Winds and I don't trust her anymore.

You have to go  in knowing she’s not going to let all her people get a happily ever after. I love her storytelling but yeah, I come away with a pile of used tissues and a melancholy book hangover every time I read one of hers. So good, though!

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

You have to go  in knowing she’s not going to let all her people get a happily ever after. I love her storytelling but yeah, I come away with a pile of used tissues and a melancholy book hangover every time I read one of hers. So good, though!

I definitely know that about her books...there will be sadness and probably death!! The Four Winds just felt extreme....there didn't seem to be any up and down to the story, just down. It really put me in a funk after reading it. I think for me to pick up another one of her books, the topic is going to have to be something that really interests me and I'm not sure this latest one does. I'm sure the book is well written and very good, all of her books are. I'm just cautious of them now. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Vintage81 said:

I definitely know that about her books...there will be sadness and probably death!! The Four Winds just felt extreme....there didn't seem to be any up and down to the story, just down. It really put me in a funk after reading it. I think for me to pick up another one of her books, the topic is going to have to be something that really interests me and I'm not sure this latest one does. I'm sure the book is well written and very good, all of her books are. I'm just cautious of them now. 

After I read The Four Winds, I watched the Ken Burns Dust Bowl documentary. I’m convinced that’s what Hannah got some of her story ideas from. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Grace Hopper said:

I don't necessarily need a happily-ever-after, but some sense of redemption or hope or....something. Even if it's just a flicker. TFW really made me mad because she left us with nothing really but despair.

• Like 3

I've been escaping into David  Weber's Honoverse this month, reading several of his Honor Harrington military SF and related anthologies. Some parts only a military hardware or tactics geek could love (he goes on and ON about missiles), but others explore cute, interesting aliens and the impact of genetic manipulation on people and society. A bit of relaxing fun for me, takes me away from dh's discouraging job hunt and the medical crises of his parents (from whom we are estranged, so it's all on his sister) who are in their 90s. Really enjoying that spring has sprung here -- pear, plum, cherry, and magnolias are all bursting into bloom.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

David  Weber's Honoverse...

I enjoyed the first eight or so in the series (and then took a break because I wanted to read some other books). I also enjoyed his young adult treecat books.

Sending good wishes for a positive outcome for your husband's job hunt.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Today I finished  Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh which I've been reading as I am planning to make a bookmark featuring it. I would have enjoyed this a lot more at about age ten or so, but it was good to read a book I've seen mentioned so many times.

"Harriet M. Welsch is a spy. In her notebook, she writes down everything she knows about everyone, even her classmates and her best friends. Then Harriet loses track of her notebook, and it ends up in the wrong hands. Before she can stop them, her friends have read the always truthful, sometimes awful things she’s written about each of them. Will Harriet find a way to put her life and her friendships back together?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I've also recently read two books by author Barrie Farris, Ingenious and Intuitive. These were set in an intriguing world where men outnumbered women about ten to one and where women were the ruling class. Women typically had three husbands and were required to have four children. Males were required to enter an academy at age eight; at eighteen they could enter the army if they met the qualifications, become a concubine (via a lottery) to an unmarried man for three years, or marry if asked. This was a male/male romance. I enjoyed the first book and quickly read the sequel which featured a second couple. (Adult content)

"In a dystopian world ruled by women, brilliant but awkward Cadet Quiggs Fallon has a bright future. Academically gifted with a brain like the ancestors, he's well on his way to figuring out how to kill the sentient vines overtaking the land, earning him—a male—an unheard-of seat in the Assembly of Ruling Mothers. And with an inheritance and an impeccable pedigree, he's engaged to marry the governor's daughter after his graduation from the academy.

Instead, one moment changes everything. Caught in a compromising position with his loyal-to-a-fault friend Beau, his plans are derailed. Thrown into the concubine lottery, Quiggs draws the name of the fiercest warrior in the Triangle—Commander Max Bronn, whose feral bloodline denies him the right to have a wife.

Max's delight with winning a male concubine to substitute for a wife the next three years cools down when he learns he’s stuck with Quiggs, an untrained, gawky genius who is thoroughly pissed off at his fate.

And why is an assassin stalking Quiggs?

The reluctant attraction between Max and Quiggs soon burns hotter than Quiggs's new fuel paste as political intrigue, danger, and the rules of society threaten their lives, and their budding romance. Now it's a battle to save the world as they know it…or create a new one."

I also enjoyed The Anonymous Hookup: A Heart-warming MM Novella by Jax Calder in which a relationship develops between two men who plan only to have a one time liaison. This had me laughing, and I look forward to reading the sequel which is from the viewpoint of the other main character. (Adult content)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I just finished The Anthropocene Reviewed: Essays on a Human-Centered Planet by John Green.  I didn't expect to like this, but ended up really enjoying it.  A nice combination of memoir, musings, and interesting facts/history.  

(sorry about the crazy font!)

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I finished Ruthless Vows by Rebecca Ross (sequel to Divine Royals): "Two weeks have passed since Iris Winnow returned home bruised and heartbroken from the front, but the war is far from over. Roman is missing, and the city of Oath continues to dwell in a state of disbelief and ignorance. When Iris and Attie are given another chance to report on Dacre’s movements, they both take the opportunity and head westward once more despite the danger, knowing it’s only a matter of time before the conflict reaches a city that’s unprepared and fracturing beneath the chancellor’s reign.

Since waking below in Dacre’s realm, Roman cannot remember his past. But given the reassurance that his memories will return in time, Roman begins to write articles for Dacre, uncertain of his place in the greater scheme of the war. When a strange letter arrives by wardrobe door, Roman is first suspicious, then intrigued. As he strikes up a correspondence with his mysterious pen pal, Roman will soon have to make a decision: to stand with Dacre or betray the god who healed him. And as the days grow darker, inevitably drawing Roman and Iris closer together…the two of them will risk their very hearts and futures to change the tides of the war."

I was really disappointed in this one. I liked the first book a lot, with one gripe about the lack of world-building. However, this one was a stinker. First, I've decided that I really dislike the memory loss trope. I kind of feel like this is lazy writing by the author just to extend the book series. In actuality, this story probably could've been written as one larger book, but whatever. The first 200-250 pages were a waste of time. Nothing happened. By the time I got to the latter half I was so bored I started skimming. The author started giving us some world-building but by this point it was so late in the game it felt weird and out of place. The were some good little bits at the end but not enough for redemption. I was happy to be done with this one. 🫤 (2, maybe 2.5 stars)

Edited by Vintage81
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

For school, my younger DD and I read The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean (young reader's edition): "Why did Gandhi hate iodine (I, 53)? How did radium (Ra, 88) nearly ruin Marie Curie's reputation? And why did tellurium (Te, 52) lead to the most bizarre gold rush in history?

The periodic table is a crowning scientific achievement, but it's also a treasure trove of adventure, greed, betrayal, and obsession. The fascinating tales in The Disappearing Spoon follow elements on the table as they play out their parts in human history, finance, mythology, conflict, the arts, medicine, and the lives of the (frequently) mad scientists who discovered them.

Adapted for a middle grade audience, the young readers edition of The Disappearing Spoon offers the material in a simple, easy-to-follow format, with approximately 20 line drawings and sidebars throughout. Students, teachers, and burgeoning science buffs will love learning about the history behind the chemistry."

We read this to go along with our History of Science study and quite enjoyed it. It had a lot of interesting facts and information about the elements on the periodic table. (4 stars)

One of the books I chose during the summer last year to be a part of my older DD's American Literature Study was Black Boy by Richard Wright: "Richard Wright grew up in the woods of Mississippi amid poverty, hunger, fear, and hatred. He lied, stole, and raged at those around him; at six he was a "drunkard," hanging about in taverns. Surly, brutal, cold, suspicious, and self-pitying, he was surrounded on one side by whites who were either indifferent to him, pitying, or cruel, and on the other by blacks who resented anyone trying to rise above the common lot.

Black Boy is Richard Wright's powerful account of his journey from innocence to experience in the Jim Crow South. It is at once an unashamed confession and a profound indictment—a poignant and disturbing record of social injustice and human suffering."

Unfortunately, due to some scheduling issues, I had to discard this one from the list once school started. I ended up starting it anyway, reading about half of it and skimming the second half. I enjoyed the first half, which mostly discussed his childhood. The second half was more about his involvement with the Communist Party and politics and from what I skimmed wasn't as enjoyable. 

Edited by Vintage81
  • Like 4

I finished two more books last night and  today.

When Glory Wrote to Collin: A Pen Pal Romance by Lola Winters was a pleasant read. I enjoyed the first part of the book most as it included the letters of the two leads from fourth grade through college. This book is currently free for US Kindle readers.

"When Glory Parker and Collin Finlay reluctantly start writing to each other in the fourth grade, they have no idea that their continued correspondence will turn into friendship, and then into much more. Years later, after losing touch, they finally meet, but a misunderstanding threatens their relationship."

The Unforgettable Hookup by Jax Calder is the sequel to the book I mentioned above. This book is written from the viewpoint of the second main character. (Adult content)
///

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I just finished this as a listen.  It was interesting even though I had never heard of the author or her clothing company.

I found her insights into growing up poor interesting as so much of what she mentioned was just the norm for my area growing up.  Looking back, we were poorer than I thought at the time, but we always had food and shelter and a vehicle that ran….so maybe we were richer.

IMG_6198.jpeg

• Like 4

The Many Assassinations of Samir, The Seller of Dreams 
by Daniel Nayeri

Know and Tell: The Art of Narration
by Karen Glass

I finished The Paradise War by Stephen Lawhead and put the other two books in the trilogy on hold at the library.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

I'm reading 

Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard by Liz Murray.  It's very good so far and reminds me a little bit of The Glass Castle.  

• Like 4

On 3/23/2024 at 1:41 AM, Kassia said:

I just finished The Anthropocene Reviewed: Essays on a Human-Centered Planet by John Green.  I didn't expect to like this, but ended up really enjoying it.  A nice combination of memoir, musings, and interesting facts/history.  

This looks interesting, thanks.

I read a wonderful book called Super-Infinite. It's a biography of John Donne by the award-winning children's author Katherine Rundell (highly recommend her book The Explorer, among others). It's so well-written and really flung me back into poetry. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I finished Happily Never After by Lynn Painter: "Their name? The objectors. Their job? To break off weddings as hired. Their dilemma? They might just be in love with each other.

When Sophie Steinbeck finds out just before her nuptials that her fiancé has cheated yet again, she desperately wants to call it off. But because her future father-in-law is her dad’s cutthroat boss, she doesn’t want to be the one to do it. Her savior comes in the form of a professional objector, whose purpose is to show up at weddings and proclaim the words no couple (usually) wants to hear at their ceremony: “I object!”

During anti-wedding festivities that night, Sophie learns more about Max the Objector’s job. It makes perfect sense to her: he saves people from wasting their lives, from hurting each other. He’s a modern-day hero. And Sophie wants in.

The two love cynics start working together, going from wedding to wedding, and Sophie’s having more fun than she’s had in ages. She looks forward to every nerve-racking ceremony saving the lovesick souls of the betrothed masses. As Sophie and Max spend more time together, however, they realize that their physical chemistry is off the charts, leading them to dabble in a little hookup session or two—but it’s totally fine, because they definitely do not have feelings for each other. Love doesn’t exist, after all.

And then everything changes. A groom-to-be hires Sophie to object, but his fiancée is the woman who broke Max’s heart. As Max wrestles with whether he can be a party to his ex’s getting hurt, Sophie grapples with the sudden realization that she may have fallen hard for her partner in crime."

I've read several books by Lynn Painter, and I usually really like them, but this one was just meh. (I think her YA books are much better.) The premise was kind of weird and by the middle of the book, lost. The main characters were shallow, which was surprising because this author usually adds more meaningful things to her storylines. This one was just two people dealing with bad breakups...kind of boring. Her writing was still fun and witty, so it kept me entertained. (3 stars)

• Like 3

On 3/25/2024 at 1:58 PM, Kareni said:

A bookish post ~

This Reddit thread has a wonderfully varied collection of book recommendations.

What is a strange or niche book you have to stop yourself from recommending to people?

Regards,

Kareni

Wow, that thread was fascinating! It's also incredibly heartwarming to read about the excitement and love of books people have.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Did a reread of Julia Cameron’s The Artist’s Way because a friend wants to discuss it. An old standby for creative types. 

I also finished a YA novel called this is where it ends by Marieke Nijkamp. It’s the story of a high school shooting as it progresses. The action takes place over 54 minutes, told from four separate perspectives. I will put this in the category of books that some people probably need to read as a wake up call. But it definitely should come with a trigger warning. I would not recommend it to one of my kids I share a lot of books with who has experienced text exchanges  with school friends during active shooter lockdowns, or another of my kids who has lost students to gun violence. I’d rather hand it to some acquaintances who don’t believe in common sense gun regulation (i stop there lest I get too political 🤐). 

I keep saying I’m going to do light reading but keep picking up these angsty and philosophical things instead. Off to look through all the stuff I’ve saved on kindle for some fluffy bedtime reading. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 5

So…for those who read and loved “A Gentleman in Moscow”, are you going to watch the mini-series? And do you agree with casting Ewan McGregor as the Count? I will not be watching because Ewan McGregor is absolutely not the Count of my imagination who I fell madly in love with. So there!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

So…for those who read and loved “A Gentleman in Moscow”, are you going to watch the mini-series? And do you agree with casting Ewan McGregor as the Count? I will not be watching because Ewan McGregor is absolutely not the Count of my imagination who I fell madly in love with. So there!

He's not the count I had in my head when I read the book but I plan to at least try watching it. Maybe he'll surprise me. 

• Like 4

The Meth Lunches: Food and Longing In an American City by Kim Foster. I picked this up at random from the library nonfiction section with no clue what it was about other than food and maybe poverty.  Sat down to look it over, was totally sucked in, and finished the entire first chapter, about having lunches with their meth-addicted day worker, without pause. Incredibly readable account of trauma and food -- mental illness, drug addiction, foster care, incarceration, being unhoused, the pandemic. "Food is an important marker for worthiness. When we deny people access to choose the food they need ... the feeling that happens is unworthiness. But food can also be the simple thing that raises a community."

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

I won't be watching.  I love reading, but don't like watching tv or movies.  I don't think I even know who Ewan MrGregor is.  

@GailVthat book looks really good.  I'm going to put it on my TBR list. 

• Like 5

I picked up “Where Did You Go Bernadette?” by Maria Semple last night. A very delightful and clever read.

That was one of my favorite reads last year! The movie with Cate Blanchett is pretty good but did not do justice to the ending of the book. 

43 minutes ago, GailV said:

The Meth Lunches: Food and Longing In an American City by Kim Foster. I picked this up at random from the library nonfiction section with no clue what it was about other than food and maybe poverty.  Sat down to look it over, was totally sucked in, and finished the entire first chapter, about having lunches with their meth-addicted day worker, without pause. Incredibly readable account of trauma and food -- mental illness, drug addiction, foster care, incarceration, being unhoused, the pandemic. "Food is an important marker for worthiness. When we deny people access to choose the food they need ... the feeling that happens is unworthiness. But food can also be the simple thing that raises a community."

This looks really interesting, putting it on my library request list. Another heavy topic though, I may have to add a couple of cozy mysteries (or even a bodice ripper ☺️) to my TBR pile to mix things up lol.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I won't be watching because it looks like the show is either on Showtime or Paramount+ and I don't have either of those. I'm kind of indifferent about Ewan McGregor. He's not who I pictured, but he might not be terrible since he's a good actor. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Vintage81 said:

I won't be watching because it looks like the show is either on Showtime or Paramount+ and I don't have either of those. I'm kind of indifferent about Ewan McGregor. He's not who I pictured, but he might not be terrible since he's a good actor. 

If you want to watch and don’t mind waiting a bit, I’ve found films like this often show up on disc at the library. 

• Like 5

I read Collage Lost and Found: Creating Unique Projects With Vintage Ephemera by Giuseppina Cirincione which has given me a couple of ideas to try in the bookmarks that I make.

"From a sailor missing the love he left ashore, to a school boy's crush on his teacher, the stunning pages of this book will inspire you to dust off the vintage ephemera you've been collecting for years and combine it with basic collage elements to create romantic pieces you can wear as well as display.

In addition to delectable inspiration for a multitude of projects, you'll learn several practical techniques that can aid you in all your creative endeavors, including:

• Simple soldering techniques that anyone can do right away
  • The art of layering with beeswax to add an intriguing depth to your work
  • Magic tricks for turning metal repair tape into aged sheet metal
  • In-the-know sources for finding vintage ephemera, as well as tips for transforming new items into ones that appear to have stood the test of time

Give in to the seduction of the past. Let Collage Lost and Found take you to a world where collage sings to you of a simpler time where your creativity knows no bounds!"

I read "The Loch Moose Monster", the first long story in Janet Kagan's MirabileI really wanted to like this linked collection of stories because the author's Star Trek novel Uhura's Song is a long-time favorite of mine; however, the story did not speak to me.

"On the distant planet of Mirabile, a settlement of human colonists from Earth is jeopardized by the genetic mutants of Earth plants and animas like the Lock Moose Monster, the Frankenswine, and the dreaded carnivorous Kangaroo Rex—and it’s up to ecological troubleshooter Mama Jason to destroy the menacing mutants."

I also reread, for the nth time, Linesman (A Linesman Novel Book 1) by S. K. Dunstall.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I also read Vintage Collage Journals: Journaling with Antique Ephemera by Maryjo Koch. This was a lovely book to look at but perhaps less useful to me than the one above.

"In her new book, Koch has compiled an inspiring portfolio of her many themed journals combining collage techniques with watercolor painting and other artist’s techniques. She explores the collage medium in travel journals, recipe keepsake books, and nature and garden sketchbooks. As an avid collector of antique paper ephemera, Koch utilizes the things she collects in inventive ways to add personal touches to her journals, mingling them with photos, sketches, and paintings of the many themes she explores. Along the way, she also shows how the act of making a journal can be a valuable way to explore an experience or subject in greater depth."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

On 3/7/2024 at 1:01 AM, TechWife said:

I read Tom Lake by Ann Patchett over the weekend. It’s very good, my favorite Patchett book so far. Admittedly I’ve only read a few.

I’m currently reading The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters & am having a hard time getting into it.

Next up is The Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz. 

I’m so glad you like it. I really enjoyed reading it; I felt like it kind of resonated with how the pandemic felt, and the story itself was great as well. 

• Like 3

I’ve listened to A Passage to India. I’ve read it before but somehow literally remembered nothing. I’m also rereading a Georgette Heyer comfort read, as I just need something fluffy to get me through the end of term.

• Like 3