Menu

PSA Bottled water contains thousands of nanoplastics so small they can invade the body’s cells, study says

mommyoffive

I usually keep a 24 pack of water bottles in my car in the summer for emergencies and to save money so we are t stopping for Sonic drinks. That’s probably not a good practice as far as micro plastics go.  I guess I’ll need to figure that out.  

I already don’t microwave plastic and prefer reusable bottles, although usually plastic bottles!   It’s so hard to avoid plastic.   Does this mean I have to jump on the Stanley trend?  🤣 

• Haha 2

Skeptical of this until I verify some stuff, but…. This is why I won’t buy fleece anymore. 😡

I was in Target tonight looking for a sweatshirt. I was sticking my hand up every shirt because I can tell immediately whether it’s a natural fiber or not.. It’s all fleece from plastics. Disgusting. It’s not even comfortable after a few washes! It pills up. Nasty stuff.

There’s no escaping it as far as I can tell. Maybe some well water is safer???? But well water has other contaminants. 

I admit that I didn’t read both articles. Too sleepy atm. I’ll read tomorrow for sure. I wish I could say thanks for sharing, but sometimes I’d rather be oblivious. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

“All four co-authors interviewed said they were cutting back on their bottled water use after they conduced**** the study.”

REALLY???? Just now??? 😡

I mean…I am not innocent. I drink stuff bottled in plastic occasionally because it’s impossible to avoid, but this has been on my radar for a L O N G time. If for no other reason than I’m horrified at all of the plastics going to landfills and worse—the oceans. I guess they were okay with our oceans being polluted until they realized it might be infiltrating their own cells. Good grief. 😕

****I copy and pasted the quote. That’s their typo lol. That’s some sloppy editing. Now I need to verify all of this before I get too riled up. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

Then there's teabags. I felt cozy drinking my mug until I read about how most teabags are plastic. Someone did a study and yep, your nice mug of tea is full of plastic from the hot water and teabag. Celestial Seasonings and Bigelow supposedly don't have plastic in theirs. Those more sophisticated loose leaf drinkers are on to something.

• Sad 5

26 minutes ago, livetoread said:

Then there's teabags. I felt cozy drinking my mug until I read about how most teabags are plastic. Someone did a study and yep, your nice mug of tea is full of plastic from the hot water and teabag. Celestial Seasonings and Bigelow supposedly don't have plastic in theirs. Those more sophisticated loose leaf drinkers are on to something.

They ARE? Oh no!

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, livetoread said:

I thought they were some sort of fabric?      Ugh,  why is everything trying to kill us?

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

You can research tea bags by company. Most have been moving away from plastics in the last five years…due to customer demand. Looseleaf tea tends to be better quality, and the bigger leaves have more catechins and phenols and other good for your body stuff.

I drink almost exclusively loose leaf these days. Many years ago I told dh I was intrigued by loose-leaf tea but scared of doing it wrong. He gave me a bunch of tea and some tea-brewing supplies for Christmas that year and it was both easy and tasty. SOOOOO TASTY. The flavor is much stronger with loose leaf. Nowadays if I use a tea bag, I steep it a full ten minutes or it tastes weak and flavorless to me. 

I am assuming coffee filters have some of the same factors and questions, so I'll just take a moment to recommend French press coffee to everyone. Gorgeous, full-body flavor, easy to brew, and no need to deal with any filters.

• Like 2

For beverages there is the option of aluminum--Walmart.com carries the Brita brand of water in aluminum bottles, and there's also Canned Water 4 Kids. (Not that aluminum is entirely above suspicion.)

I would like to nominate "Make money first, ask questions later shrug your shoulders when asked questions later" as America's official business motto.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Our newer rain water tanks are plastic and I’ve been suss about them as well 

This falls into that category of things I don’t want to worry about because it’s literally too hard to avoid 

I think the plastic is safer than the fibreglass water tanks.

We have plastic for garden water and concrete for house water. But I don't even know if concrete tanks can be bought anymore 

I've got a question about these microplastics reactions. I understand, and believe, the reports that micro and nano plastic particles are in our food and drinks, and most likely our community water supply, and probably all kinds of water all over the earth. I get that it's happening. But there seems to be an assumption that because it is happening, it's automatically a problem. There's missing logic there. 

What nobody seems to talk about is why the presence of plastics in those places might or might not actually matter. It's my understanding that plastic particles become this widespread because they pass through everything, never truly break down, and certainly aren't biodegradable. Essentially, a cell with plastic in it behaves exactly like a cell without a plastic in it. A fish with plastic in it behaves just like a fish with no plastic in it. etc.

First: Am I wrong about that? Do microplastics inside living things impact the living thing? Or are they just hanging out, being present but inert? Breaking into smaller and smaller inert pieces of itself?

If I am wrong, why is nobody (that I've encountered) reporting on what plastic *does* to the things it is found within?

If I'm not wrong, and plastic is inert no matter what size it is... what exactly and actually makes it undesirable?

Other than: "Eeep, yuck, it's plastic!" / "It was never there before." / "Nature didn't make plastic, we did." (Newness, human-made-ness, and squick factor aren't legitimate forms of logic.)

Toxins are toxins because they do things -- harmful things. Pathogens are pathogens because they do things we don't like to our bodies and systems. What are plastics?

(I know large plastics and garbage patches do harm to the biomes of natural areas. I'm thinking microplastics and human bodies mostly.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Heartstrings said:

I wonder how much loose tea it takes to make a gallon of tea?  We make a gallon of lightly sweetened tea every day.  

I think I will deconstruct a Luzianne tea bag and weigh the loose tea. We just make 2 quarts at a time. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bolt. said:

. But there seems to be an assumption that because it is happening, it's automatically a problem. There's missing logic there. 

I think the problem is that we DONT know because it’s too new.   At one point we didn’t know lead was bad, or asbestos.   We aren’t really great about checking things out before they are widespread and harmful.  At this point its in all of our bodies, what do we do tomorrow if we find out it increases cancer risks or birth defects, or increases brain disorders or Developmental delays?   It’s too late at this point.  

Given that it’s too late, do you think they’d even tell us? Or would they hide it like the tobacco companies? How much money do you think it’s going to cost to attempt your reverse this, if it’s even possible.  I don’t mean to sound like a tin foil hat crazy, but the track record isn’t great. International companies making huge profits aren’t known for being forth coming about things that might lead to them having to change.  

Im not sure I’m thrilled about gambling on having plastic inside of our cells being not a big deal.  

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 5

The things I am most concerned about re: nanoplastics—disruption to mitochondrial cycles, dysfunctional gut microbiome, inflammatory reactions in the gut, heart, skin and brain, lasting exposure/bioaccumulation in brain tissue, bpa and other additives to plastics exposure, and the potential of other things to “ride” on nanoplastics which cross the blood/brain barrier.

I have a longer list of concerns, but those are the biggies for me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I feel like this one brings to mind “the dose makes the poison”.   Sure if there were teeny bits of nanoplastics in some rare places it would probably be fine but we are way past “moderation” with plastics. It’s in our clothes, in our fish, in our phones, in the laundry water, in the soil and thus in our food, including the cells of the animals we eat, we feed babies from plastic bottles and wrap their butts in it during those crucial years of growth and development and on and on. Over a lifetime we are just inundated.  

Much like lead when it was being put into paint and millions of gas tanks driving billions of miles, getting in our air and our soil, only far far worse.  We thought that would be fine too, no big deal.  Just a bit of lead paint on the babies toy, no bid deal.  We don’t know that it’s harmful, so it’s probably not.  Nothing to see here.  

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The things I am most concerned about re: nanoplastics—disruption to mitochondrial cycles, dysfunctional gut microbiome, inflammatory reactions in the gut, heart, skin and brain, lasting exposure/bioaccumulation in brain tissue, bpa and other additives to plastics exposure, and the potential of other things to “ride” on nanoplastics which cross the blood/brain barrier.

I have a longer list of concerns, but those are the biggies for me.

What can we do? I just recently read something about all of this elsewhere. I think it was about water quality though--not specifically plastics. And I think the gist of it was that our water filters are inadequate to remove things like nano plastics and the increasing amount of pharmaceuticals in water. 

One of the things that my kids were surprised about on our most recent trip—how functional Europe is without plastic in daily living. All kinds of things here that would be plastic—the lid of a pringles container, the spoon for an icecream cup—all were either wood or paper or other bio material. I live in a place that’s way more eco friendly than most US cities, but we are so far behind. Culturally, we dont see a concern we are willing to push to see addressed and companies generally arent making choices here to reduce their footprint unless there’s some financial incentive to do so.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, popmom said:

What can we do? I just recently read something about all of this elsewhere. I think it was about water quality though--not specifically plastics. And I think the gist of it was that our water filters are inadequate to remove things like nano plastics and the increasing amount of pharmaceuticals in water. 

For us, we use plastic only when we have to. Natural fiber clothes (except our shoes and coats, generally). We use powder laundry and dishwasher detergent and toilet bowl cleaner as pods introduce plastic. We use beauty bars in paper boxes. We eat off of porcelain and drink off of glass or ceramic. I cook on stainless steel or cast iron. Our stainless steel water bottles have plastic lids, but it’s the best we can do. I buy unprocessed food—loose veg and fruit to reduce plastic bags, and my legumes and grains come in bulk paper bags. We rarely eat restaurant food, but when we do, we go to the food carts locally that serve homemade food on noncoated compostable paper products or we eat outdoors in summer at places with ceramic/porcelain plates. 

Our RO water eliminates microplastics and pharmaceutical contamination, but not nano stuff.

I cant do harm elimination—plastic is everywhere—and I need some of that in my life—but I can do harm reduction. 

My eczema and autoimmune issues do wax and wane with how clean I live. I can buy and eat all kinds of things in Europe I cant buy commercially here and eat safely—presumably it’s a food additive, preservative, or pesticide I am reacting to. 

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

For us, we use plastic only when we have to. Natural fiber clothes (except our shoes and coats, generally). We use powder laundry and dishwasher detergent and toilet bowl cleaner as pods introduce plastic. We use beauty bars in paper boxes. We eat off of porcelain and drink off of glass or ceramic. I cook on stainless steel or cast iron. Our stainless steel water bottles have plastic lids, but it’s the best we can do. I buy unprocessed food—loose veg and fruit to reduce plastic bags, and my legumes and grains come in bulk paper bags. We rarely eat restaurant food, but when we do, we go to the food carts locally that serve homemade food on noncoated compostable paper products or we eat outdoors in summer at places with ceramic/porcelain plates. 

Our RO water eliminates microplastics and pharmaceutical contamination, but not nano stuff.

I cant do harm elimination—plastic is everywhere—and I need some of that in my life—but I can do harm reduction. 

My eczema and autoimmune issues do wax and wane with how clean I live. I can buy and eat all kinds of things in Europe I cant buy commercially here and eat safely—presumably it’s a food additive, preservative, or pesticide I am reacting to. 

I think being aware of it and doing what we can where we can is all we can do.  Each family just has to do the best we can and hope it won’t be as bad as we are afraid of.  And hope that we have genetics that make us less susceptible to the effects.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I do most of those things already, but I do still buy some produce that is bagged in plastic. It's really hard to cut ALL of it out, but I can do better. One thing that has been bothering me is my grocery delivery. It comes in non reusable plastic bags. I wish they would offer an alternative. I plan to contact customer service and see if anything is in the works on that.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, popmom said:

I do most of things already, but I do still buy some produce that is bagged in plastic. It's really hard to cut ALL of it out, but I can do better. One thing that has been bothering me is my grocery delivery. It comes in non reusable plastic bags. I wish they would offer an alternative. I plan to contact customer service and see if anything is in the works on that.

The reusable ones are still made of plastic and need to be reused a lot before they’re better than the thin single  use bags.  Paper would be better as far as plastics go, but that means trees are cut down.  Paper from bamboo would be better but Walmart probably isn’t going to along with that.  

• Like 1

One of the discouraging things to me has been how little society has moved. We were cloth diapering and using glass baby bottles (for supplementation for my NICU babies) 20+ years ago. We went largely plastic free 15 years ago when our dd got brain cancer. Most of us have MORE plastic in our lives 15 years on. What is the statistic? Half of the world’s plastic has been created in the last ten years?

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

The reusable ones are still made of plastic and need to be reused a lot before they’re better than the thin single  use bags.  Paper would be better as far as plastics go, but that means trees are cut down.  Paper from bamboo would be better but Walmart probably isn’t going to along with that.  

Our walmart has a plastic bag ban. Delivery is made in paper.

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

One of the discouraging things to me has been how little society has moved. We were cloth diapering and using glass baby bottles (for supplementation for my NICU babies) 20+ years ago. We went largely plastic free 15 years ago when our dd got brain cancer. Most of us have MORE plastic in our lives 15 years on. What is the statistic? Half of the world’s plastic has been created in the last ten years?

I think it’s catching on.   More people cloth diapers at lest a little bit, more people are talking about glass and stainless steel as purposeful choices.  Glass baby bottles are easier to find and more mainstream.  It’s very slow and some people don’t care at all, but more people care now than ever.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

Does your state require that?   My state does not and my Walmart grocery pick up and delivery comes  in plastic bags. 

They offered this before my state required it. 

For pickup in other states that dont offer paper bags for pickup, you unclick “bag my groceries” and bring your own bags. I am not sure about delivery, but here they would just bring the bins and you repacked at your doorstep. 

3 minutes ago, SKL said:

Water pipes are plastic.

I am not gonna decide to worry about this.  😛

This is a weird analogy. Drinking water fom a glass = not a problem. Drinking water with microscopic glass in it= problem.

My water comes in plastic pipes too. I just filter out any microplastics before I drink it. If you have a fridge filter, that is doing a lot of work for you. It should be cleaner water than the stuff from the tap at your sink.

Just now, prairiewindmomma said:

This is a weird analogy. Drinking water fom a glass = not a problem. Drinking water with microscopic glass in it= problem.

My water comes in plastic pipes too. I just filter out any microplastics before I drink it. If you have a fridge filter, that is doing a lot of work for you. It should be cleaner water than the stuff from the tap at your sink.

Unless you're frequently cleaning those fridge pipes, and frequently changing out those filters, ... I've seen what can build up in there.  😛

I will just continue drinking tap water from my plastic cup that I got from a zoo overnight years ago.  😛  I will have to hear something much more definitive than "we're not sure" before I change.  As has been noted, we've been eating/drinking out of plastic stuff all our lives, one way or another.  Longevity seems relatively stable afaik.

A little part of me wonders if the metal / glass water bottle industry has anything to do with this sudden concern.

Pure speculation but I do wonder if this micro or nano plastic situation is playing a part in the rise of certain disorders, like fibromyalgia or other autoimmune diseases.   I know some of it is better diagnosing but I wonder if that’s all.  

(I said speculation, I don’t have sources to cite, it’s just musing). 

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 3

Just now, Heartstrings said:

Pure speculation but I do wonder if this micro or nano plastic situation is playing a part in the rise of certain disorders, like fibromyalgia or other autoimmune diseases.  

(I said speculation, I don’t have sources to cite, it’s just musing). 

I was just thinking the same thing about the rise of stage 4 colon cancer in people in their 30’s & 40’s. The only thing I’ve previously seen correlated is teflon, and that’s a kind of plastic too, right? 

• Like 3

Just now, Katy said:

I was just thinking the same thing about the rise of stage 4 colon cancer in people in their 30’s & 40’s. The only thing I’ve previously seen correlated is teflon, and that’s a kind of plastic too, right? 

Yes!  And it’s in so much cookware and is so easily damaged, which makes it less safe.  Replacing mine with stainless steel has been on my mind lately.