Menu

Let's argue about something

MercyA

Both yesterday and today, my husband asked me what's controversial on the forum. Since I haven't been to the politics board in a while, I had to tell him not much.

What can we talk about that's controversial without getting this thread locked?

I'll start: I know it's none of my business, but long / waxed / shaped mustaches and long beards bother me on a deep level. Like, I literally want to cut them off. Anyone take issue with this?

Want to argue about something else? Please do share. 🙂 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 17

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether or not people over 6’2” should have their own designated section in theaters for $$$ productions. Because I, at appx 5’1”, never fail to have the seat in front of me occupied by someone with the physique of Travis Kelce (which I admittedly wouldn’t likely complain about in any other circumstances 😂). Not kidding, without fail the 6’5” guy is always in front of me. It’s happened often enough that I’ve given serious thought to also buying the seat in front of me so it will go empty. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

I’m with you on the mustache, lol. 

Hmmmm….maybe not controversial….but something I noticed about the atmosphere of the forum: Someone can say something really, well, kinda mean and ugly and really upset someone and an argument ensues, and I have before thought, wow! Later, on another day, those same two people are liking each others recipes and giving tips on a weird rash. 😳

I had to get used to that, lol….. Seeing as I had never before participated in any type of online environment and all. Not sure if this happens on Reddit. 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

Okay. I thought of something. I’ll argue with anyone who doesn’t think that Ms. Myers cleaners aren’t toxic. They are touted as “green” and they take up lots of shelf space at Whole Foods. I don’t understand it. 

Oh, and I DO like to see who likes what posts. I don’t understand why this is bad. It’s there, and I can’t help but see it. (I do not judge by that; it’s just an observation). It’s there so you can see, so it’s just not that big a deal. I’ll argue that it’s just not anything to fuss over. 😁

• Like 12

Oh I forgot to say I am with you on the big bushy mustache/beard thing. I appreciate well trimmed facial hair. With big fluffy beards and untrimmed mustaches, I don’t want to shave ‘em so much as grab my shampoo and wash out all the stuff I imagine clinging there. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

Oh I forgot to say I am with you on the big bushy mustache/beard thing. I appreciate well trimmed facial hair. With big fluffy beards and untrimmed mustaches, I don’t want to shave ‘em so much as grab my shampoo and wash out all the stuff I imagine clinging there. 

There's a chapter in Roald Dahl's The Twits that goes into a bit of detail on this particular issue.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I hate facial hair. I really don't care about it on anyone but dh. I find it unattractive and I do not like kissing someone when they have facial hair. Dh has always enjoyed our intimacy frequency more than any desire to see how he looks with facial hair.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Okay. I thought of something. I’ll argue with anyone who doesn’t think that Ms. Myers cleaners aren’t toxic. They are touted as “green” and they take up lots of shelf space at Whole Foods. I don’t understand it. 

Oh, and I DO like to see who likes what posts. I don’t understand why this is bad. It’s there, and I can’t help but see it. (I do not judge by that; it’s just an observation). It’s there so you can see, so it’s just not that big a deal. I’ll argue that it’s just not anything to fuss over. 😁

Agreeing about Mrs. Myers! I can’t see how anything that highly fragranced isn’t bad for us! Can’t speak for their fragrance free stuff but their fragrances are terrible IMO!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Grace Hopper said:

Whether or not people over 6’2” should have their own designated section in theaters for $$$ productions. Because I, at appx 5’1”, never fail to have the seat in front of me occupied by someone with the physique of Travis Kelce (which I admittedly wouldn’t likely complain about in any other circumstances 😂). Not kidding, without fail the 6’5” guy is always in front of me. It’s happened often enough that I’ve given serious thought to also buying the seat in front of me so it will go empty. 

Sounds good as long as they can sit with their guests and have decent seats too. My dad is really conscious about trying to sit near the back for things, but I feel bad that it means he often gets a crappy seat. He doesn’t go to $$ performances outside of a movie now and again.

The tall section needs more elbow and leg room too. Watching my dad cram his legs into a normal row is painful, and he can’t always get an aisle seat to stretch out.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, knitgrl said:

There's a chapter in Roald Dahl's The Twits that goes into a bit of detail on this particular issue.

Oh my word, that’s a Dahl I’ve not read so I had to go look up a synopsis. 

“Mr. Twit is a wicked person, having hair that covers his entire face, with the exception of his forehead, eyes, and nose. His hair (which he falsely believes makes him appear 'wise and grand' but is widely agreed by everyone else makes him look like a twit), is unkempt. Because he never washes it, his beard holds scraps of food stuck there while he ate, including tinned sardines, Stilton cheese, and corn flakes. Occasionally, he licks these scraps out and eats them when he is hungry.”

I rest my case. 😂

Seriously, tho, I’ve no wish to offend any here who may have bearded partners or beards themselves. I’m expressing my own opinion here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Do we really argue here? I feel like we debate things frequently, but to me argue is a pretty strong word. Even contentious cultural/social/edging into political threads that get heated--to me 99.5 percent of it is legit debate. I really don't understand most of the time why things get reported. I kinda feel like if someone gets offended easily then maybe a discussion board isn't a good fit. So maybe we should "argue" about whether we argue or debate? LOL

I totally agree about Mrs. Meyers (and lots of other supposedly "green" cleaners). Many of them are basically scams.

Also, I don't understand protein powder. So many people talking about their (good) eating habits, low/no processed foods, etc. and also about the smoothies with scoops of protein powder and I'm like . . . yuck. Have you actually read all the zillions of (probably nasty) ingredients in that crap? Talk about processed!

• Like 17

Just now, kbutton said:

Sounds good as long as they can sit with their guests and have decent seats too. My dad is really conscious about trying to sit near the back for things, but I feel bad that it means he often gets a crappy seat. He doesn’t go to $$ performances outside of a movie now and again.

The tall section needs more elbow and leg room too. Watching my dad cram his legs into a normal row is painful, and he can’t always get an aisle seat to stretch out.

Seriously, the last performance I went to was in a stately old theater and short little me found it near impossible to cross/uncross my legs. I bet the tall guy in front of me needed a leg massage after sitting in his seat a couple of hours. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, kbutton said:

https://www.boredpanda.com/national-beard-mustache-championship-pics-2022/

Doing my best to aggravate all of you who hate bears. 😉

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about!

How dare you, kbutton. I think you're just stirring the pot. 😉 

(My DH has a goatee and a mustache and I like them. But the long stuff? Shudder!)

Edited by MercyA
  • Haha 5

I don't mind beards except when they are on my dh.  For some reason my dh decided during 2020 to grow one.  He had a mustache for years which I liked but  I think the beard  makes him look old and grumpy.  I generally keep my mouth shut about it unless I notice it needs a trim badly. 

He has never asked my opinion about it directly and since he never tells me how do to my hair I figure it's his business.  

I have a son who is able to grow a beard in just a few days and it looks nice on him.  I never know how he's going to look when he shows up though.  Sometimes clean shaven, sometimes full-on beard 🤣🤣. (We generally see him every few weeks).  When he shows up clean- shaven he looks more like my little boy of the past 🙂.

• Like 3

Can I insert a complaint in the middle of the argument thread?

Do you ever try to quote someone and, after you highlight the text, the quote box appears over on the far, far left of the screen, 3/4 of the way out of sight, and you keep tapping it to get it to quote, but there isn’t enough of the box there to “grab” and it completely doesn’t work? ??

• Like 2

80's clothing, and I am serious about this! That stuff was fugliest stuff e.v.e.r., and my mother managed to find the fugliest fugly of all the clothes available of and bought them for me.

I propose fashion prison. All designers who re-create this crap and send it to manufacturing are rounded up, go directly to prison without trial, and stay there for life. the jumpsuit is pretty orange and green, horizontal stripes on the bottom, polka dots on top, 100% polyester, fake gold sailor buttons, pink sweater with the arms tied around the neck, faux fur leg warmers, leopard skin socks also of polyester, and mandatory bangs curled, coifed, and starched with the rest of the hair teased until it is not standing less than four inches off the scalp. Bologna sandwiches and hamburger helper are the ONLY meals offered, and the only shows available to watch are Growing Pains, Knight Rider, and He-Man Masters of the Universe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 16

32 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I think it makes people look distinguished, and certain men just don’t look complete without it!  

I agree! Well-groomed facial hair looks great. (Love your DH's Tee Turtle tee, BTW.)

Handlebar mustaches? Noooooo thank you. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

80's clothing, and I am serious about this! That stuff was fugliest stuff e.v.e.r., and my mother managed to find the fugliest fugly of all the clothes available of and bought them for me.

I propose fashion prison. All designers who re-create this crap and send it to manufacturing are rounded up, go directly to prison without trial, and stay there for life. the jumpsuit is pretty orange and green, horizontal stripes on the bottom, polka dots on top, 100% polyester, fake gold sailor buttons, pink sweater with the arms tied around the neck, faux fur leg warmers, leopard skin socks also of polyester, and mandatory bangs curled, coifed, and starched with the rest of the hair teased until it is not standing less than four inches off the scalp. Bologna sandwiches and hamburger helper are the ONLY meals offered, and the only shows available to watch are Growing Pains, Knight Rider, and He-Man Masters of the Universe.

What are you talking about?   The 80s ROCKED!

[Pic not allowed.]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Star Trek - because Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds are awesome. Even the musical episode? Especially the musical episode! Also DS9 should be required viewing in high school (yes all the seasons). SO and I did a full rewatch last year and, sadly, so much is still necessary social commentary. 

I'll do 80s fashion, if I can have my 1980s body back. 

Facial hair if it's groomed. SO has a moustache, ds has a full beard and has since about age 18. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

80's clothing, and I am serious about this! That stuff was fugliest stuff e.v.e.r.

Heresy. 80's clothes were comfortable and fun. Leggings. High waist jeans. Chunky sweaters. Oversize sweatshirts. 

70's clothes were the worst. 

[Pic not allowed.]

• Like 7

I somehow managed to not see any of the Star Wars movies until I went to college and my now husband and other friends were appalled and made me sit and watch them.  And they were fine.  They're perfectly fine movies.  I couldn't get really excited about them, but I think maybe part of that is because they tell a pretty standard story, but they were maybe the first to do it in that way?  I have friends who read every Star Wars novel and watch it obsessively and generally are pretty obsessed with all the details, and I just am not that into the universe, but I have zero complaints about it.  I have just wondered if obsession gets triggered by seeing it at a particular time in your life?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I somehow managed to not see any of the Star Wars movies until I went to college and my now husband and other friends were appalled and made me sit and watch them.  And they were fine.  They're perfectly fine movies.  I couldn't get really excited about them, but I think maybe part of that is because they tell a pretty standard story, but they were maybe the first to do it in that way?  I have friends who read every Star Wars novel and watch it obsessively and generally are pretty obsessed with all the details, and I just am not that into the universe, but I have zero complaints about it.  I have just wondered if obsession gets triggered by seeing it at a particular time in your life?

I too am rather neutral to downright uncaring about either Star Wars or Star Trek.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I like beards, but they need to be clean and not unkempt. 

but can I confess...  I don't actually notice whether people have one or not.   My dad apparently had one for years, shaved it, and I didn't notice a difference.    I also don't see eye color, hair color, really anything.   I don't know what the heck I look at when I talk to someone, lol   

• Haha 10

35 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Heresy. 80's clothes were comfortable and fun. Leggings. High waist jeans. Chunky sweaters. Oversize sweatshirts. 

70's clothes were the worst. 

[Pic not allowed.]

Here I am in the late 70s.   Do you like my pants?

I have a funny look on my face, not sure if someone caught me off guard or what.   I got a letter, it may have been from home.   We loved getting letters!

IMG_0987.jpeg

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 10

I hate group chats with people with iphones. 

Sally "loves" this post

so and so "emphasized" this message

Bobby Sue "liked" this comment

90% of the messages on my android phone are not messages but responses to messages. Sigh.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Although I considered it a few times, and dh may get a memorial one soon, I have come to think tattoos are pretty dumb. The majority are not beautiful, in the artistic sense, though a few are. Most tats are symbolic, it seems to me. But then, actually, what is the point of that? Like, why have a picture on your arm that has to be explained to people for it to make any sense. If you have a tattoo of a wolf with a beating heart in its mouth and Roman Numerals that give the date your mom was diagnosed with Lupus, I mean…nobody is going to know unless they ask, “Why a wolf with a heart in its mouth and some Roman numerals?” And do you really want to explain this damn picture at every party, bar and Walmart checkout line? 

I have considered getting tattoos with a tangential reference to Harry Potter. But you know, sometimes you stop liking some cultural thing you used to love. I knew a guy who got a Harley Davidson tattoo when he was only a teenager. Eventually, his “dream came true” and he had a Harley of his own. But he found out he didn’t actually know how to ride a motorcycle and it’s heavier and harder than he realized. So he sold the stupid bike, and could be really and truly called a full-on poser. 😄

My dh is thinking of getting a symbolic tattoo next year, for the would-be 21st birthday of our daughter who died at birth. And, I’m not opposed, and it seems kind of sweet. But. Then people will presumably ask what the tattoo symbolizes, and why that date, and then he has to keep telling the story when he could have just kept it in his heart. 

Plus, they’re expensive. 

So, there’s my unpopular-for-some opinion. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

I think I used to not like tattoos. I think now I’m neutral on them. 

Once in awhile, I’ll see some cute guy with one arm tattooed very simply and understated and the tattoos on the other arm will be a bit more busy. He will have on just the right tee shirt, necklace, bracelet, or pants to pull it all together. And his hair will be styled just so. Not too weirdly modern and not too outdated. It’s hard to explain. It’s just obvious that the look takes a lot of fashion sense, and it looks really artful, tasteful, and not overdone. When I see someone like that, it just looks cool to me. They really seem to know what look they are going for and how to pull it off. 

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 2