Menu

We bought a house (former title: Downsizing isn't nearly as exciting)

DawnM

Deleting what I wrote earlier about looking.

We put an offer in yesterday and it was accepted today.   We close in 30 days.   We asked for 21 days but they said they couldn't do it that quickly, so 30 days it is.   

Now for all the extras I need to do before we move.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 48

Totally agree that downsizing is hard! We went from four kids at home to just one left at home (and while it’s always possible it doesn’t look like any of the three will return). So on paper it seems so obvious we really should be able to downsize.

It was still really hard. In the end we are about 300 sq Ft smaller but a much better layout. Our kitchen was the biggie and I’m still working out storage for that. 

I’m really happy. Our house is so much better for us in nearly every way (except kitchen storage!) but it was not easy to find and had this not come through we did not have a good #2 option in mind even after looking at almost 30 houses. 

It is hard! I hope this works out and you are happy with it.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Totally agree that downsizing is hard! We went from four kids at home to just one left at home (and while it’s always possible it doesn’t look like any of the three will return). So on paper it seems so obvious we really should be able to downsize.

It was still really hard. In the end we are about 300 sq Ft smaller but a much better layout. Our kitchen was the biggie and I’m still working out storage for that. 

I’m really happy. Our house is so much better for us in nearly every way (except kitchen storage!) but it was not easy to find and had this not come through we did not have a good #2 option in mind even after looking at almost 30 houses. 

It is hard! I hope this works out and you are happy with it.

This one that we are looking at is quite a bit more than 300 sq. ft. less, BUT, it would leave us financial wiggle room to add on at some point, so we could make it work decently.

Thank you!

The truth is, we dont' need that huge house, well, we never "needed" it, but it was great when we had 7 living there with dad.

And I was reminded that during Covid we needed a car and I opted for the base model used CRV and although I miss the fancy features of our more souped up cars, I am use to it now and like the simplicity.   

• Like 11

• DawnM changed the title to We bought a house (former title: Downsizing isn't nearly as exciting)
1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

That's awesome! Tell us all about it!

Well, it is considerably smaller than our last house, but we knew that would happen.   It has 4 bedrooms, all upstairs.

Kitchen is spacious but not huge.   Not an open floor plan, but we are fine with that.   In fact, I believe the 2 story foyer was floored in because that space is a separate little room off the master.   It is large enough for a reading/tv space with two recliners or even an office space.

There is a formal living room and a den/living room.   The formal may end up being used as DH's office space, we will see.   Formal dining room and room for an eat in kitchen.

Laundry is off the kitchen and more of a closet than a laundry room.   I may see if we can move the laundry closet and use that space as a large pantry.   

It has a bonus room with a separate staircase, although you can access it from the upstairs hallway as well.

It has a liner pool.   We will see how well we do with that with a dog.

1.5 acres.   No HOA or covenant restrictions.   There are some city restrictions, so we need to figure that out.   And there is a screened in porch area off the pool.

We will be adding a 3 car garage with rooms above it.   We will add "offices" since it has maxed out on bedrooms for the septic.  We will also add a bathroom up there and a small gym/work out area.   I need to design it.

53 minutes ago, freesia said:

Any pictures?

No, none other than the listing photos which I don't want to put on here.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Well, it is considerably smaller than our last house, but we knew that would happen.   It has 4 bedrooms, all upstairs.

Kitchen is spacious but not huge.   Not an open floor plan, but we are fine with that.   In fact, I believe the 2 story foyer was floored in because that space is a separate little room off the master.   It is large enough for a reading/tv space with two recliners or even an office space.

There is a formal living room and a den/living room.   The formal may end up being used as DH's office space, we will see.   Formal dining room and room for an eat in kitchen.

Laundry is off the kitchen and more of a closet than a laundry room.   I may see if we can move the laundry closet and use that space as a large pantry.   

It has a bonus room with a separate staircase, although you can access it from the upstairs hallway as well.

It has a liner pool.   We will see how well we do with that with a dog.

1.5 acres.   No HOA or covenant restrictions.   There are some city restrictions, so we need to figure that out.   And there is a screened in porch area off the pool.

We will be adding a 3 car garage with rooms above it.   We will add "offices" since it has maxed out on bedrooms for the septic.  We will also add a bathroom up there and a small gym/work out area.   I need to design it.

No, none other than the listing photos which I don't want to put on here.

It sounds amazing! Exactly what I'm looking for, as well. I'm so glad this is starting to get behind you. And I'm hoping this closing will be eons better than the last.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

It sounds amazing! Exactly what I'm looking for, as well. I'm so glad this is starting to get behind you. And I'm hoping this closing will be eons better than the last.

It really is a good layout.  Funny since the last 3 houses we have lived in have had funky layouts and that has been an issue with selling.   It takes a certain buyer.   We have made them work for us, but this one makes me really feel that we will utilize the entire house well.

• Like 14