Menu

Is this resignation letter too much?

(Yes I utilized some AI because I am so anxious about this)

I am writing to inform you of my resignation from my full-time role at [Company] effective [date]. My current speaking engagements have made it difficult for me to maintain the hours required of a full-time position, and unfortunately the company has been unable to accommodate my schedule.  I feel it is more fair to step down from a supervisor position so the company can hire a full time employee.

I would like to discuss moving to a per diem role to help finish out the projects I am currently working on. I would be willing to pick up shifts around my prior commitments. Please let me know if this is a possibility. 

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Mrs Tiggywinkle

• Like 12

1 minute ago, lauraw4321 said:

I think it’s great, but since you want a per dime role, maybe you have a conversation about it instead of a formal letter with a formal end date. 

It’s an incredibly complex management structure(which is part of the problem—when hired the left hand didn’t know the right hand was promising me all the dates I needed off), but my two immediate supervisors are on board with transitioning me to per diem.  

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle Again
  • Like 9

letter is great! 

I would seriously consider a formal letter to request a change to per diem first. Otherwise, they can accept the resignation, terminate you immediately and then you will lose any time accrued benefits if they agree to rehire per diem. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Tap said:

letter is great! 

I would seriously consider a formal letter to request a change to per diem first. Otherwise, they can accept the resignation, terminate you immediately and then you will lose any time accrued benefits if they agree to rehire per diem. 

I asked HR about that and they can’t just change me to per diem because I have to resign from the supervisor status first.  Honestly this hospital system way over complicates everything.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Katy said:

I think the letter is great. Per diem often means loss of seniority anyway, at least at the places I worked in nursing. You have to be full time to qualify for most of those benefits. 

Yeah I will lose all benefits and such.  I am trying to walk the line between feeling like I was lied to by one manager and wanting to be snarky about it and just needing to gracefully exit but still wanting to pick up shifts.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

Yeah I will lose all benefits and such.  I am trying to walk the line between feeling like I was lied to by one manager and wanting to be snarky about it and just needing to gracefully exit but still wanting to pick up shifts.

FWIW I didn't feel any inkling of snarkyness when reading that letter. 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Same.

if anything I think you’re being too nice, but I understand that is necessary in order to get more working hours from them after you step down.

I am a little bitter but I actually really like the job. My direct managers are great.  I like my coworkers. The upper management did not consider that right now EMS wages in my area are higher than average and so no one is looking for second jobs. When they promised me time off during hiring, they fully expected to have a full roster of part time people wanting to pick up shifts.  This would have been true five years ago, but overall the wages have increased 44% in the last two and a half years.  This is great for individuals but not for systems that relied heavily on people looking for second jobs in order to make ends meet.  Obviously the system has to adjust and they have to overall find a way to recruit new people to the job itself.

All that to say it wasn’t necessarily malicious on any part. They just made promises based on an outdated mode of staffing.  But I have to step down in order to meet my obligations that were made last winter before I even considered this job.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I put together sensory kits for ambulances, ERs, police and fire departments; and that has just exploded. I am booked at least once a week in four states over the next few months to do an in service on a sensory kit and a training on autism.  The sensory kits are donated to the departments and funded with donations, I only charge for travel and the in service.  DH and I have decided I should just lean into this for now and let it go where it will.

I will make it official tomorrow and I am a little nervous about how it will be received, but I’m crossing my fingers everything will be fine.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle Again
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I wish you well with the job change!  Regarding your letter, I have a few questions/suggestions.  

1.  The bolded below made me unsure if you really wanted to pick up shifts or if you were just willing to do so to help them out.  Do you only want to help until the projects you are currently on finish up, or do you want to continue after that?  I suggest you add more clarification.  

I would like to discuss moving to a per diem role to help finish out the projects I am currently working on. I would be willing to pick up shifts around my prior commitments. Please let me know if this is a possibility. 

2.  Does everyone who may read the letter know your speaking engagements were already contracted before you accepted this job?  You might want to include that. Here's that part of your note with a few tweaks:

I am writing to inform you of my resignation from my full-time role at [Company] effective [date].  As you may remember, when I accepted this job I did so with the understanding I would have time off to accommodate my previously contracted speaking engagements.  Unfortunately, that has been difficult for the company, and my speaking schedule has made it difficult for me to maintain the hours required of a full-time position.  I feel it is more fair to everyone that I step down from a supervisor position so the company can hire a full time employee.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

I put together sensory kits for ambulances, ERs, police and fire departments; and that has just exploded. I am booked at least once a week in four states over the next few months to do an in service on a sensory kit and a training on autism.  The sensory kits are donated to the departments and funded with donations, I only charge for travel and the in service.  DH and I have decided I should just lean into this for now and let it go where it will.

I will make it official tomorrow and I am a little nervous about how it will be received, but I’m crossing my fingers everything will be fine.

This is really amazing. I’m excited to see where this goes for you. I’m praying it all works out.

• Like 1

What you are doing is amazing! We need first responders to be trained, and there is almost nothing out there available for them. I want to see your program go nationwide and be required for all first responders, every last one of them. LEOs desperately need ir, and I can only imagine how much it would help firefighters to know better how to interact with a traumatized, autistic person whom they must extricate. So I am super duper excited to see you taking this step, and in the process, I hope this means you get to do all the things with your kids while your health allows.

Rah rah rah, Tiggy!!!👏👏👏👏👏❤❤❤🍾🍾🍾

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, klmama said:

I wish you well with the job change!  Regarding your letter, I have a few questions/suggestions.  

1.  The bolded below made me unsure if you really wanted to pick up shifts or if you were just willing to do so to help them out.  Do you only want to help until the projects you are currently on finish up, or do you want to continue after that?  I suggest you add more clarification.  

2.  Does everyone who may read the letter know your speaking engagements were already contracted before you accepted this job?  You might want to include that. Here's that part of your note with a few tweaks:

I am writing to inform you of my resignation from my full-time role at [Company] effective [date].  As you may remember, when I accepted this job I did so with the understanding I would have time off to accommodate my previously contracted speaking engagements.  Unfortunately, that has been difficult for the company, and my speaking schedule has made it difficult for me to maintain the hours required of a full-time position.  I feel it is more fair to everyone that I step down from a supervisor position so the company can hire a full time employee.

I like this.  Reminding them of what was promised when you were hired and that is why you need to leave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

I like this.  Reminding them of what was promised when you were hired and that is why you need to leave.

I think the issue is that the person who promised me these things turned out not to be authorized to make those promises and has subsequently been replaced, in large part because he made a whole lot of promises to potential employees that he had no business making.  They are very aware of what was promised to me and have been trying to figure out how to make it work for weeks.  It just isn’t going to and it’s much more fair for everyone if I step aside and they are able to hire a full time person who will actually be available to work.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

I would love to know more about this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I would love to know more about this. 

Each kit contains noise cancelling headphones that fit all sizes, a whiteboard with marker, a communication board geared for emergency medicine, a variety of fidget toys and a squishy writing board.  Some have a stuffed animal to give to the patient. Except for some of the fidgets everything can be cleaned and is reusable with patients.  Personally I have made myself one years ago and used with patients with autism, dementia,  anxiety, Down Syndrome, and just having a really difficult time in general and could utilize some sensory strategies or alternate ways to communicate.  When a person is stressed verbal communication can be difficult but they can still communicate via writing, drawing pictures or pointing to pictures on the board. These are 100% donated from an Amazon wishlist and some monetary donations, and all of it goes for more sensory bags. I do not charge the departments unless I have to travel and then it’s just travel expenses/speaking honorarium. But I don’t charge for the bags themselves since it’s donation funded.

I do a 15-20 minute in service on it or, if requested, I have a 60 minute presentation on autism for first responders that includes de escalation and sensory techniques.

9FE912BE-5FB9-4C17-9F74-AE2D5810C8AC.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

I think the issue is that the person who promised me these things turned out not to be authorized to make those promises and has subsequently been replaced, in large part because he made a whole lot of promises to potential employees that he had no business making.  They are very aware of what was promised to me and have been trying to figure out how to make it work for weeks.  It just isn’t going to and it’s much more fair for everyone if I step aside and they are able to hire a full time person who will actually be available to work.

That may be the case, but YOU didn't know that at the time and you accepted the position on the condition that they could accommodate your prior engagements and it isn't happening.  Putting it in there just makes it official.  

• Like 3