Menu

Independence Day food thread…whacha cookin’?

pinball

Anything traditional? New? 

Cookout? Barbecue? Camping food? Snackies for the fireworks?

My tradition is baked beans…Use 1 lb of bacon. parcook 8 slices of bacon & set aside. Chop the other 8 slices of bacon, add a medium diced onion (not purple) and sauté together then drain fat off. Use what ever beans you like (I like navy) about 3-4 cans depending on your needs. Drain and rinse. Mix beans with about 1 cup of ketchup, a few big squirts of yellow mustard, a couple tablespoons of brown sugar, tsp of black pepper, and a few shakes of hot sauce. Increase those ingredients if you like it saucy. Mix in onions and chopped bacon. Pour into casserole dish and top with spread out par cooked bacon. Bake until bubbly and sauce thickens. Usually at 350 for 45 mins or so but can do it at different temps and time based on what else the oven is being used for. 😋 Yum

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I should make cole slaw; it's low carb and is on hubby's Holiday Food short list. 

Yesterday, son and I made barbacoa such as one sees at street taco places and at Chipotle. It turned out quite tasty, but it was not cooked to fall-apart stage, so I put it in the oven for another hour after dinner. I love that it made a big batch that I can have with corn chips, over rice (like we had it last night) and in street tacos....of course. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, we recently went vegetarian and veggie hot dogs and burgers don't taste good, so I'm making cheese enchiladas, two salads, and  banana nice cream with chocolate chia pudding for the topping.

Salad 1: Finely dice black beans, corn, tomato, bell pepper, English cucumber, cilantro, red onion, green onion. Dressing: 1 avocado, salt, pepper, lime juice, apple cider vinegar. Blend until creamy. Serve with chips to dip.

Salad 2: Watermelon, pineapple, strawberry. Dressing: Yogurt & lime juice. 

Here's the enchilada sauce recipe I use. 

Edited by wisdomandtreasures
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

I should make cole slaw; it's low carb and is on hubby's Holiday Food short list. 

Yesterday, son and I made barbacoa such as one sees at street taco places and at Chipotle. It turned out quite tasty, but it was not cooked to fall-apart stage, so I put it in the oven for another hour after dinner. I love that it made a big batch that I can have with corn chips, over rice (like we had it last night) and in street tacos....of course. 🙂

Yum…I love Chuck roast. I can’t believe how expensive it has gotten tho!

2 minutes ago, wisdomandtreasures said:

Well, we recently went vegetarian and veggie hot dogs and burgers don't taste good, so I'm making cheese enchiladas, two salads, and  banana nice cream with chocolate chia pudding for the topping.

Salad 1: black beans, corn, tomato, bell pepper, English cucumber, cilantro, red onion, green onion. Dressing: 1 avocado, salt, pepper, lime juice, apple cider vinegar. Blend until creamy. Serve with chips to dip.

Salad 2: Watermelon, pineapple, strawberry. Dressing: Yogurt & lime juice. 

Here's the enchilada sauce recipe I use. 

Salads sound delish! so do enchiladas 

• Like 1

We're not doing anything special for the Fourth. And it's disgustingly hot and humid here, bad enough that even my two meat eaters are wanting lighter fare. So at least for the next few days we're focusing on salads, roasted veggies, melons and berries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We've had too many hotdog/hamburger cookouts lately so I'm going to do pulled pork for tomorrow, tiny roasted potatoes, corn on the cob, tons of fruit and chocolate lush and lemon lush for dessert.  Oh, and making gf peanut butter cookies for my dil.  

I'm determined that we are going to have a great family gathering.  My eldest, his wife and five kids left the country for at least two years last week so there is a large gap in our family group and this is the first gathering.  We have to find a new normal.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are having my side of the family over for a backyard bbq in the afternoon.  I am providing hamburgers and hot dogs (my dad is doing the grilling).  I am making baked beans.  DD is making her famous mac & cheese.  I will also be making a trifle for dessert with homemade lemon pound cake, fresh berries, and a cream cheese type filling.  I might also make a rhubarb peach pie.  My sister is bringing chips and cookies.  My mom is bringing potato salad.  My brother hasn't said yet, but he always brings his homemade ice cream which is great.  My niece is bringing coleslaw I think; she wasn't sure.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

We're not doing anything special for the Fourth. And it's disgustingly hot and humid here, bad enough that even my two meat eaters are wanting lighter fare. So at least for the next few days we're focusing on salads, roasted veggies, melons and berries.

That's one of the reasons we did the barbacoa. It give a bit of flavor with mostly else. We have roasted corn, roasted zuchini boats, fresh pico de gallo, and add the latter to avocados for guac. 🙂 And tonight I'll make chicken fajitas with grilled poblanos from the garden -- one of the few things that have grown in our cool June -- and finish off the pico. 

On a sad note, my usual spot for blueberries was out of them, so no blueberries this 4th. Sigh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tenaj said:

pulled pork for tomorrow, tiny roasted potatoes, corn on the cob, tons of fruit and chocolate lush and lemon lush for dessert.

Love little potatoes 

What kind of crust do you make for the lemon lush?

41 minutes ago, Loowit said:

trifle for dessert with homemade lemon pound cake, fresh berries, and a cream cheese type filling.  I might also make a rhubarb peach pie.  My sister is bringing chips and cookies. 

Desserts sound awesome

2 hours ago, pinball said:

Love little potatoes 

What kind of crust do you make for the lemon lush?

I use the same crust as the chocolate lush.  1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup pecans and 1 cup flour.  I just sub out lemon pudding for the chocolate pudding.

• Thanks 1