Menu

WWYD - Short an egg for a cake today

ktgrok

I don't think anywhere is open? I miscalculated, and the cake recipe calls for 4 eggs, and I have 3 eggs. It's a carrot cake. I do not have any applesauce, I do have a banana. Not sure if that would help? I have sour cream as well, if I just need more moisture. 

My temptation is to just not worry about it, lol. 

10 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I don't think anywhere is open? I miscalculated, and the cake recipe calls for 4 eggs, and I have 3 eggs. It's a carrot cake. I do not have any applesauce, I do have a banana. Not sure if that would help? I have sour cream as well, if I just need more moisture. 

My temptation is to just not worry about it, lol. 

I wouldn’t worry about it either. This kind of thing happens to me, too. I made sure I had three dozen eggs this year because Easter needs more eggs than one would think—custard, meringues, sponge cakes!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Don't worry about it. If it needs more moisture, add a spoon of sour cream.

That's exactly what I was thinking I'd do. Thank you all! I'm a "seat of my pants" cook but usually do pay attention to the basics when it comes to cake. Mainly because I don't make a ton of cakes, lol. You've restored my confidence. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

That's exactly what I was thinking I'd do. Thank you all! I'm a "seat of my pants" cook but usually do pay attention to the basics when it comes to cake. Mainly because I don't make a ton of cakes, lol. You've restored my confidence. 

Sour cream will add a really nice tang, too. 

10 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

If you have a can of chick peas, you can drain them saving the liquid, and use that. It is commonly used as a vegan, egg substitute and works quite nicely.

lol, we dropped off cans of chick peas at church for the food pantry this morning. oops. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

lol, we dropped off cans of chick peas at church for the food pantry this morning. oops. 

Bummer. It is called aquafaba and vegan cooks make meringue with it. It works well. I am not a real chef or baker, nor do I play one on t.v. I just watch a lot of "Beat Bobby Flay" and "Great British Baking Show" where I learn bizarre things. Therefore, all cooking advice I give should be verified by a team of experts. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Bummer. It is called aquafaba and vegan cooks make meringue with it. It works well. I am not a real chef or baker, nor do I play one on t.v. I just watch a lot of "Beat Bobby Flay" and "Great British Baking Show" where I learn bizarre things. Therefore, all cooking advice I give should be verified by a team of experts. 😁

Lol. This is so me! My dd did know some handy trick for telling when custard is done that she learned from YouTube. But honestly we are the blind leading the blind around here. 

• Haha 3

Is this a total symptom of our overall Introvert ness here that no one suggest borrowing from a neighbor.  

I clearly remember a snowstorm of April 1977 when we were all stranded at home and my mom sent us to the neighbor lady that we did not know to ask for a cup sugar so she could make fudge and my brother and I  dropped the glass jar of SUGAR in the snow and could not find it.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Is this a total symptom of our overall Introvert ness here that no one suggest borrowing from a neighbor.  

I clearly remember a snowstorm of April 1977 when we were all stranded at home and my mom sent us to the neighbor lady that we did not know to ask for a cup sugar so she could make fudge and my brother and I  dropped the glass jar of SUGAR in the snow and could not find it.  

I've never borrowed from a neighbor nor have I been borrowed from, even when our neighbors were friends. I don't know if my mother ever did, but it's hard for me to imagine her doing it. 

Now, I have neighbors on one side who won't even wave back at me or say hi when we happen to pass, and on the other, an elderly, frail lady who doesn't like to answer the door - she and I talk on the phone and she ventures out with her family or her aide. Neither a good situation for asking to borrow food!

ETA, I should add that I would be delighted to give a neighbor an egg, cup of sugar, flour, etc, etc. But it's just not a thing in my life 

Edited by marbel

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

lol, yes, probably. Growing up we absolutely borrowed a cup of sugar or whatever from neighbors. And I know that my neighbors on either side would be likely to let me borrow an egg - the ones on one side are pretty friendly with us in particular. But...meh. I peopled at church already, lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I remember borrowing from neighbors when we were kids. 

I couldn’t do that. It is a combination of lack of neighborly behavior on the part of some neighbors that will not even wave or make any kind of acknowledgment but it is also a situation in which the neighbors I do know and am friendly with very likely do not have things like eggs or sugar. I know that sounds ridiculous but there really are people who do not cook or bake at all and I wouldn’t even ask because it isn’t a staple they would just have on hand. I feel like 35 years ago all our neighbors would have had pantry staples but I doubt anyone I knew never cooked at home but I know people like that now. 

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I couldn’t do that. It is a combination of lack of neighborly behavior on the part of some neighbors that will not even wave or make any kind of acknowledgment but it is also a situation in which the neighbors I do know and am friendly with very likely do not have things like eggs or sugar. I know that sounds ridiculous but there really are people who do not cook or bake at all and I wouldn’t even ask because it isn’t a staple they would just have on hand. I feel like 35 years ago all our neighbors would have had pantry staples but I doubt anyone I knew never cooked at home but I know people like that now. 

To be fair one of my neighbors is also close friends. Dh has done a good job of being friendly to the other three close neighbors but I probably would not ask to borrow a egg. 
Edited to add I probably also would not have ask to borrow sugar in 1977 if my mom had not sent us. No one needs fudge that bad.  

Edited by Scarlett

2 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

Yeah, I don't have that excuse. The people on the left of me, that I don't know that well but we wave, and they gave me their number and asked us to keep an eye on things when they travel, are older and she is an immigrant from the Phillipines and I just can't imagine they don't cook. And on the right of us are a Colombian family, recently immigrated, and they throw big parties and I can't imagine they don't have basics either. 

27 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Yeah, I don't have that excuse. The people on the left of me, that I don't know that well but we wave, and they gave me their number and asked us to keep an eye on things when they travel, are older and she is an immigrant from the Phillipines and I just can't imagine they don't cook. And on the right of us are a Colombian family, recently immigrated, and they throw big parties and I can't imagine they don't have basics either. 

It’s the talking. You can’t just borrow an egg. It’s egg + conversation. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So, after all that I accidentally switched which recipe I was looking at on my laptop, made some hybrid cake, and it didn't cook all the way through in the middle. AND turns out no one in my family even really likes carrot cake. Next year, if they are not going to like the cake anyway, I'm making lemon cake or getting cheese cake. They don't like those either, but a tleast I do, lol. 

• Haha 2