Menu

March craft thread

Baby clothes. I have two more outfits to make Baby T, and four outfits to make Baby A plus a baby quilt all by April 1st. We just arrived home from Alabama from seeing our grandsons and spending lots of time snuggling T..so now I need to kick the sewing machine into high gear.

• Like 7

I am working on my dad's centerpieces for his memorial Saturday.   I have cloth from the hospital where he worked in Kenya and pictures of him, and African carvings.    I am still playing around with it.

Deleted the photo....too much information.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

I continue plugging away at my huge Starry Night counted cross stitch. I hope to get one thick strip (about fifteen lines deep) done this month. It takes forever because it’s complicated. I don’t do it every single day, so this will be a while. I’ll post a picture when this strip is done.

It was a little discouraging never completing anything so I have also been carrying around a tiny rose cross stitch to go with a larger one I did some years ago. I think I can easily finish it within a week or so.

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 9

I am knitting a weekender sweater by designer Andrea Mowry.   I got 20 inches in, ready to split for the yoke and realized I put the center faux seam off center.  I ripped it back to the ribbing 😲☹️

I sewed leggings and a dress for me this week 

I have some costumes to work on for children's theater. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, busymama7 said:

I am knitting a weekender sweater by designer Andrea Mowry.   I got 20 inches in, ready to split for the yoke and realized I put the center faux seam off center.  I ripped it back to the ribbing 😲☹️

I sewed leggings and a dress for me this week 

I have some costumes to work on for children's theater. 

Bummer. Sorry to hear that. I know I hate it when I am sewing and have to rip out a seam. Ugh.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I am trying a quilt as you go scrap patchwork quilt.. I am up to assembling the already quilted blocks and attaching bias strips over the seams on the top. I hate it. I don't like the design, I don't like how stiff the quilt is, I don't like  anything about it at all really. 

Can you donate what you have to some group that will use it? Then you could wash your hands off it and move on to things you love or challenges that pique your interest.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, busymama7 said:

Oy. That makes it into a long weekend.

I cut out the back of a wearable muslin and pinned the front, then realized that the pattern was indeed directional and I had, of course, cut the back upside down. I didn't have the fabric to recut it. My "cheap" test shirt just got more expensive. 😛 It should be a quick sew, though. That might make me feel better.

I'm traveling this weekend and today I'm starting that crafting process of trying to decide what I should finish before we leave and what should I take along, and what I should take as a backup project in case I suddenly knit faster than I ever have before in my life and there aren't any yarn stores in the vicinity. And then an alternate project in case I need a change of pace. 😄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

Oy. That makes it into a long weekend.

I cut out the back of a wearable muslin and pinned the front, then realized that the pattern was indeed directional and I had, of course, cut the back upside down. I didn't have the fabric to recut it. My "cheap" test shirt just got more expensive. 😛 It should be a quick sew, though. That might make me feel better.

I'm traveling this weekend and today I'm starting that crafting process of trying to decide what I should finish before we leave and what should I take along, and what I should take as a backup project in case I suddenly knit faster than I ever have before in my life and there aren't any yarn stores in the vicinity. And then an alternate project in case I need a change of pace. 😄

Oh my gosh that sound exactly like me when I travel 😂

• Haha 1

Last month I made several bookmarks. I was inspired by this book (which I read and then gave as a gift) ~

Book Marks: An Artist's Card Catalog: Notes from the Library of My Mind by Barbara Page

You can see an assortment of the author/artist's works at the link above.

Pictured below are the fronts and backs of the bookmarks that I made. (The mah jongg one, at the bottom, was something different that I made for a friend.)

Fronts:

20230131_112149.thumb.jpg.83cf41607997dc7f6e33319cd1f68a01.jpg

Backs:

20230131_112206.thumb.jpg.533671bfc30ed011eabfda55e067ee1c.jpg

The leftmost bookmark was made using an older date due slip that I found in a discarded library book at a thrift store. It was a fortunate find as Death Comes for the Archbishop is a favorite book of the recipient. The two bookmarks on the right were made from old library card catalog cards that my library is now using as scratch paper. One went to a friend to celebrate the completion of her library training program. She likes music thus the choice of a musically themed card. The other bookmark was a thank you for a different friend; for her, I chose a card for a translated book as she reads many such books.

I decorated the cards with a variety of items such as temporary tattoos, a postage stamp, decorative paper, recycled paper, and handwritten quotes. The alligators are an inside joke, and my husband printed a copyright free image on sticker paper for those. I had the finished bookmarks laminated at a local copy shop.

I'm curious to know if your library still has such cards around.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

I finally got the back made for the big quilt for DH & I; well, I need to measure it against the quilt top, b/c they don't seem to fall the same on the bed....I may cry if I have to add even *more* to the back. 

But, here it is. Hopefully will start quilting it this week. 

ETA: Whew!!! It fits/they fit each other. It's now been pin basted, folded/rolled so I can attempt to manage the quilting, and after a short break I will go tidy my sewing room and decide do I dive in immediately or do a small thing first and then get to this. I have only the vaguest idea of what I'll be doing to quilt it, but enough to get started....

IMG_5685.JPG

Edited by TheReader
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Beanbags for the cornhole game boards my son made for his upcoming graduation party--he also recruited his brother's help with some of the painting. He's doing some of the legwork for the beanbags as well. We're stuffing them with popcorn rather than field corn. 

I hemmed a big square of fabric for birthday gift wrapping (to be used like furoshiki wrap). I have a couple of other pieces that I plan to use the same way. We have a local sewing charity that makes projects for other charities (bags for period packs for homeless women, bags for VA patients, etc.), teaches people to do industrial sewing as an occupation, and cooperates with some of the DD employment groups. They have high-quality fabric donated from time to time, and if the donation includes permission to sell it, they have great sales--stuff is anywhere from $2-$5 per yard. It's a feel good way to acquire a bit of an inspiration stash without breaking the bank. Sometimes they have fat quarters and other fun stuff as well. Christmas fabric was $2 and $3 per yard this time, and some of what they counted as Christmas fabric was fabric that coordinated with overtly Christmas-y fabric, and that's what I'm using for my wraps. They also had a bunch of notions, cross-stitch supplies, YKK zippers, etc., so I need to expand my horizons with future projects. I buy a lot of my gift wrap/bag fabric there when I can. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, TheReader said:

I finally got the back made for the big quilt for DH & I; well, I need to measure it against the quilt top, b/c they don't seem to fall the same on the bed....I may cry if I have to add even *more* to the back. 

ETA: Whew!!! It fits/they fit each other. It's now been pin basted, folded/rolled so I can attempt to manage the quilting, and after a short break I will go tidy my sewing room and decide do I dive in immediately or do a small thing first and then get to this. I have only the vaguest idea of what I'll be doing to quilt it, but enough to get started....

IMG_5685.JPG

Awesome!

• Like 1

I've been a long time lurker in your craft thread and thought it was about time that I joined. As a garment sewist, I have particularly enjoyed seeing those projects but I also love seeing what everyone else is doing.

My current knitting project is a colorwork sweater that I've nicknamed "Mrs Weasley on Acid" although my husband insists that the pattern is too regular for that name. To be honest, I'm glad to have a break from the colorwork, having reached the knit/knit/knit in blue phase of the sweater. More colorwork to come on the top of the sleeves and above the bottom band.  But, for a while, it will be mindless.

The yarn is Black and Blue Welsh wool from Midwinter Yarns.  It is a joy to knit.  This is my second sweater using this product.

Mrs W beyond the yoke.jpg

• Like 18

12 minutes ago, Jane in NC said:

having reached the knit/knit/knit in blue phase of the sweater.

Sometimes I enjoy this part so much I end up with something tunic length that still needs the color work added at the bottom. 😄 Did you pick the colors? Did your first one use the same, or some of the same, colors? Color-work color choices make me a bit nervous, do I find myself avoiding them. In any case, it is beautiful, happy knitting!

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 10:44 PM, Kareni said:

Last month I made several bookmarks. I was inspired by this book (which I read and then gave as a gift) ~

Book Marks: An Artist's Card Catalog: Notes from the Library of My Mind by Barbara Page

You can see an assortment of the author/artist's works at the link above.

Pictured below are the fronts and backs of the bookmarks that I made. (The mah jongg one, at the bottom, was something different that I made for a friend.)

Fronts:

20230131_112149.thumb.jpg.83cf41607997dc7f6e33319cd1f68a01.jpg

Backs:

20230131_112206.thumb.jpg.533671bfc30ed011eabfda55e067ee1c.jpg

The leftmost bookmark was made using an older date due slip that I found in a discarded library book at a thrift store. It was a fortunate find as Death Comes for the Archbishop is a favorite book of the recipient. The two bookmarks on the right were made from old library card catalog cards that my library is now using as scratch paper. One went to a friend to celebrate the completion of her library training program. She likes music thus the choice of a musically themed card. The other bookmark was a thank you for a different friend; for her, I chose a card for a translated book as she reads many such books.

I decorated the cards with a variety of items such as temporary tattoos, a postage stamp, decorative paper, recycled paper, and handwritten quotes. The alligators are an inside joke, and my husband printed a copyright free image on sticker paper for those. I had the finished bookmarks laminated at a local copy shop.

I'm curious to know if your library still has such cards around.

Regards,

Kareni

These are so fabulous! My library does not have cards around, they have rectangles of scratch paper, but nothing interesting. I like the balance you achieved between design and open space. I'm going to show this to my youngest who recently received a package of ephemera that would really suit a project like this.
Last week when I was at my library, I discovered they had started an 18 month remodel that includes long stretches of closed stacks, which will be difficult for the shelf-browsers in my family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Sometimes I enjoy this part so much I end up with something tunic length that still needs the color work added at the bottom. 😄 Did you pick the colors? Did your first one use the same, or some of the same, colors? Color-work color choices make me a bit nervous, do I find myself avoiding them. In any case, it is beautiful, happy knitting!

I should add that the pattern is from Tin Can Knits, the Marshland.

I did pick the colors.  While usually fearless when it comes to using color, I thought that I might be out of my mind with the green and purple bit. I had used them in my other sweater with a turquoise base and the effect is quite different.  In fact, I put a full stop on this project in mid-February thinking that I might rip out the purple and green.

During that knitting hiatus, I attended QuiltCon, the Modern Quilters annual shindig, this year in Atlanta.  (My best friend is an award winning modern quilter.) I stared at quilts to see how pops of color were employed in these compositions.  That convinced me to stick with my initial idea.

I believe in a colorful world!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jane in NC said:

I've been a long time lurker in your craft thread and thought it was about time that I joined. As a garment sewist, I have particularly enjoyed seeing those projects but I also love seeing what everyone else is doing.

My current knitting project is a colorwork sweater that I've nicknamed "Mrs Weasley on Acid" although my husband insists that the pattern is too regular for that name. To be honest, I'm glad to have a break from the colorwork, having reached the knit/knit/knit in blue phase of the sweater. More colorwork to come on the top of the sleeves and above the bottom band.  But, for a while, it will be mindless.

The yarn is Black and Blue Welsh wool from Midwinter Yarns.  It is a joy to knit.  This is my second sweater using this product.

Mrs W beyond the yoke.jpg

I love this! Wonderful!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

These are so fabulous! My library does not have cards around, they have rectangles of scratch paper, but nothing interesting. I like the balance you achieved between design and open space. I'm going to show this to my youngest who recently received a package of ephemera that would really suit a project like this.

Thank you kindly!

I have seen blank library date due cards for sale if you might find that of interest: here (vintage) and here (blank) and here (in volume). (Or you could peruse the old library books at thrift stores as I have done.)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2023 at 5:35 PM, Faith-manor said:

Baby clothes. I have two more outfits to make Baby T, and four outfits to make Baby A plus a baby quilt all by April 1st. We just arrived home from Alabama from seeing our grandsons and spending lots of time snuggling T..so now I need to kick the sewing machine into high gear.

My back hurts just thinking of that much sewing so quickly, lol. 

On 3/5/2023 at 11:08 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

I am trying a quilt as you go scrap patchwork quilt.. I am up to assembling the already quilted blocks and attaching bias strips over the seams on the top. I hate it. I don't like the design, I don't like how stiff the quilt is, I don't like  anything about it at all really. 

Ok, see, I keep thinking I should try quilt as you go since it would be easier to deal with on my machine, but you've validated my thoughts on the whole idea. I just don't LIKE the way a quilt as you go quilt goes together. I'm sorry you are not happy with it though. I'd definitely donate if if you just can't stand it. Do they have project Linus and similar things where you are?

On 3/6/2023 at 8:50 AM, Miss Tick said:

When I drove up to help out regarding mom's surgery I packed a cross stitch project, my entire sewing machine, enough fabric to make an entire quilt, most of my notions, etc etc. 

I did not pack a single hair care product. Not even shampoo. 

that may encapsulate my personality, lol. 

On 3/12/2023 at 10:55 AM, TheReader said:

IMG_5685.JPG

I get palpitations every time I go to lay the top on the backing, and panic until I see that they do in fact fit on top of each other. That's a huge quilt! What are you quilting it on?

5 hours ago, TheReader said:

It's gorgeous, @Jane in NC! Garment stuff and knitting stuff always amazes me. I'm completely incapable of that kind of thing. 

Me too! I mean, I did some really easy pants, but I feel like it souldn't have been as hard as it was. I really really would like to make some tops...but I'm just not up to putting in sleeves. I'm actually thinking about making some sleeveless tunics for summer, just to avoid dealing with sleeves. But then there is still the neckline to deal with - I do have a rolled hem foot tha tmight work to finish a neckline. I just don't know. And when I tried to ask for a very simple beginner shirt pattern on the reddit sewing group I was told to just google it. Real helpful!

• Haha 3

I just mailed off a quilt to my husband's aunt, who has stage 4 cancer. I asked her daughter for advice regarding color, etc and was told teals and turquoise type colors are her favorite, and she loves anything beach themed. I'd hoped to be able to give it to her in person when she was vacationing in Florida but with everything going on with mom I couldn't concentrate. Plus, I ended up hating the bottom third of the original layout - the sand was on each side with the water coming down in the middle and while that sounded good in theory it ended up looking kind of like a blue vagina. (not kidding - it was all I could see when I looked at it). So when I went up to  NC I ripped out that whole section, ripped it all apart, then put it back together a different way when I got home. I like it much better now. And I LOVE the applique seashells and starfish. I used a decorative stitch on the starfish to make the little bumps/dots and I really like how it came out. She should get it tomorrow 🙂

Oh, funny thing - when I showed DH he said, "Did you...MATCH the binding??!? Who ARE you?!"  I guess I don't have a reputation for attention to detail, lol. But it just HAD to match 🙂

I'm still working on my free motion quilting technique, and dreaming of a long arm with stitch regulator, lol. But it came out pretty well and I don't think it will fall apart or anything.

elaqd1eakkna1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

w5t8k0eakkna1.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

wz6a00eakkna1.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I just mailed off a quilt to my husband's aunt, who has stage 4 cancer. I asked her daughter for advice regarding color, etc and was told teals and turquoise type colors are her favorite, and she loves anything beach themed. I'd hoped to be able to give it to her in person when she was vacationing in Florida but with everything going on with mom I couldn't concentrate. Plus, I ended up hating the bottom third of the original layout - the sand was on each side with the water coming down in the middle and while that sounded good in theory it ended up looking kind of like a blue vagina. (not kidding - it was all I could see when I looked at it). So when I went up to  NC I ripped out that whole section, ripped it all apart, then put it back together a different way when I got home. I like it much better now. And I LOVE the applique seashells and starfish. I used a decorative stitch on the starfish to make the little bumps/dots and I really like how it came out. She should get it tomorrow 🙂

Oh, funny thing - when I showed DH he said, "Did you...MATCH the binding??!? Who ARE you?!"  I guess I don't have a reputation for attention to detail, lol. But it just HAD to match 🙂

I'm still working on my free motion quilting technique, and dreaming of a long arm with stitch regulator, lol. But it came out pretty well and I don't think it will fall apart or anything.

It’s beautiful! Love the beach theme and shells, and I love the decorative stitching on the starfish. I also am making a quilt for a family member fighting cancer. I hope to post it it soon. I still need to put the binding on.

Edited by Mona
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Me too! I mean, I did some really easy pants, but I feel like it souldn't have been as hard as it was. I really really would like to make some tops...but I'm just not up to putting in sleeves. I'm actually thinking about making some sleeveless tunics for summer, just to avoid dealing with sleeves. But then there is still the neckline to deal with - I do have a rolled hem foot tha tmight work to finish a neckline. I just don't know. And when I tried to ask for a very simple beginner shirt pattern on the reddit sewing group I was told to just google it. Real helpful!

There are some nice independent pattern designers who have hand holding tutorials on their websites. One of the basic tricks is to use bias tape on necklines and armscyes--think of it as you do quilt binding.  If your library has the book The Act of Sewing by Sonya Philip, you might find the confidence to start something super basic with fun fabric.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I get palpitations every time I go to lay the top on the backing, and panic until I see that they do in fact fit on top of each other. That's a huge quilt! What are you quilting it on?

I am quilting it on my domestic machine, a Janome Skyline S6. I have pics somewhere....I'll upload some here in a bit. It's humongous, and the biggest thing I've quilted so far. BUT, I did my first bed quilt (a full size quilt), on a tiny little Janome Magnolia, on a round, plastic patio table with no space. This sewing machine, I have set to the far right of a really long Ikea table with a leaf in, so there's tons of space to the left to hold the excess quilt. That helps a TON. The walking foot stuff goes really well; the free motion stuff.....pretty rough in the dead-center, not so bad in the outsides (and the more flowy the design, the easier, honestly). 

As far as shirts and things - I have exactly *one* pattern for a sleeveless top I can make, using knit fabric, not woven, that's really easy to follow. It has a sleeved version, which I've sort of done, but every time I do, I end up needing to cut, add fabric, redo, make it bigger, etc, b/c I keep getting it where the sleeves are too tight and I can't move my arms. I finally have acknowledged *no can do* and won't try it anymore. Ha! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Okay, also for @ktgrok, pics of me quilting the humongous quilt on my regular machine -- 

IMG_5700.JPG

IMG_5697.JPG

IMG_5692.JPG

IMG_5691.JPG

So now my question is, do you ever waste time looking at videos of mid arm/long arm machines, or check facebook marketplace for them even though you know you are not going to spend the money to get one? Not that I do such things.....especially right after quilting anything bigger than a baby sized quilt...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

So now my question is, do you ever waste time looking at videos of mid arm/long arm machines, or check facebook marketplace for them even though you know you are not going to spend the money to get one? Not that I do such things.....especially right after quilting anything bigger than a baby sized quilt...

LOL! 

After this one I definitely might do that. So far, this is the only one that's been really crazy-hard. The table helps a TON (and I have one of those clear acrylic "table"/"sewing machine extension bed" things that fits around the machine, and this one has a decent sized throat -- that was my big splurge/upgrade 2 yrs ago. 

what has me *not* wanting a long arm (or how I've talked myself out of it) is that sometimes, diagonal line quilting is just the right thing to do, and I have yet to figure out how on earth you'd do that on a long-arm. Now, what I sometimes do drool over is like the HQ Sweet 16, which is a sit-down, stationary, long arm. I used one at a class once, and it's incredible, and if I upgrade again, that would be my dream one day, I think. 

Of course -- ask me again when it's time to do the binding. I honestly find that the hardest part on big quilts, even harder than quilting the middle. (well, or when I do the borders on this one...) -- having ALL the quilt pulling off to the side is a bear. The table helps, a ton, but......oof. 

On 3/5/2023 at 11:08 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

On 3/6/2023 at 8:40 AM, Miss Tick said:

Can you donate what you have to some group that will use it? Then you could wash your hands off it and move on to things you love or challenges that pique your interest.

I know this won't work for Melissa, as she is in Australia, but if anyone has any scrap fabric to use up, Mennonite Central Committee is always looking for quilts to send to refugees, victims of war and natural disasters, and others who need them. Last year comforters were shipped to Burkina Faso, Canada, Jordan, Iraq, Haiti, Syria, Ukraine, the U.S., and Zambia. They are used not only for warmth, but also for room dividers and window coverings. Stories, guidelines, and other info here

I am amazed at the gorgeous things you all create! 

• Like 6

Not me that made it, but my son made me a new clothes drying rack--monstrous size. He used an existing one for the measurements. It's twenty years old and well-made, but we dried a lot of laundry on it in front of a woodstove, so we inadvertently warped it. Anyway, it has poplar dowels and oak sides, so it's sturdy. It's taller than me--even though he made things the same size as the old one, he must've done some minutely different placement because it's a bit bigger. It gives things a little more room to dry though, so it's perfect!

I am working on a macrame again. It's a wreath that is just super easy, and I found that several people in the family wanted one of their own. This one is a surprise birthday present for someone. I want to make a wall hanging, but I am not sure how to figure out my materials--it's possible I might be looking at a picture and googling the various knots if I can't find one exactly as I want it.

If anyone know of any macrame STORES in middle TN or near Huntsville, that would be a fun diversion on my upcoming vacation. Stores here seems to mostly carry only very basic supplies. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

This is absolutely lovely and heart warming!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Me, nope, never! 

giphy.gif

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, TheReader said:

LOL! 

After this one I definitely might do that. So far, this is the only one that's been really crazy-hard. The table helps a TON (and I have one of those clear acrylic "table"/"sewing machine extension bed" things that fits around the machine, and this one has a decent sized throat -- that was my big splurge/upgrade 2 yrs ago. 

what has me *not* wanting a long arm (or how I've talked myself out of it) is that sometimes, diagonal line quilting is just the right thing to do, and I have yet to figure out how on earth you'd do that on a long-arm. Now, what I sometimes do drool over is like the HQ Sweet 16, which is a sit-down, stationary, long arm. I used one at a class once, and it's incredible, and if I upgrade again, that would be my dream one day, I think. 

Of course -- ask me again when it's time to do the binding. I honestly find that the hardest part on big quilts, even harder than quilting the middle. (well, or when I do the borders on this one...) -- having ALL the quilt pulling off to the side is a bear. The table helps, a ton, but......oof. 

the table definitely helps so much! DH sunk my machine in an old Ikea kitchen table, and then I have another of the same table to the left of it that I use for my cutting area when piecing, and then clear it all off and let the quilt spill over onto it when quilting. I also have a small TV tray that I put to my left, to catch some of the weight as well. But UGH, the middle is terrible even on a twin size quilt. DDs I used wool batting and I loved the batting EXCEPT it is even thicker so harder to wrangle. My machine has, from what google tells me, a bit less throat than yours, but bigger than a really small machine. 

I think what I'd love is a QNique 16 or 19, or even a Handi Quilter Moxie or something, and a small frame - there are a few that are only 5" wide. You have to manuver the quilt more often, but would mean no wrangling on the table. Otherwise, yes, a sit down one would be a dream. 

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

Not me that made it, but my son made me a new clothes drying rack--monstrous size. He used an existing one for the measurements. It's twenty years old and well-made, but we dried a lot of laundry on it in front of a woodstove, so we inadvertently warped it. Anyway, it has poplar dowels and oak sides, so it's sturdy. It's taller than me--even though he made things the same size as the old one, he must've done some minutely different placement because it's a bit bigger. It gives things a little more room to dry though, so it's perfect!

I am working on a macrame again. It's a wreath that is just super easy, and I found that several people in the family wanted one of their own. This one is a surprise birthday present for someone. I want to make a wall hanging, but I am not sure how to figure out my materials--it's possible I might be looking at a picture and googling the various knots if I can't find one exactly as I want it.

If anyone know of any macrame STORES in middle TN or near Huntsville, that would be a fun diversion on my upcoming vacation. Stores here seems to mostly carry only very basic supplies. 

I did macrame in 4-H a zillion years ago! How fun! Right now the only thing I'm doing with rope is making some trivets and coasters using the sewing machine. There was a tutorial on the Missourri Star channel that DD loved so we got a book on how to do it. I'm thinking I'll make some trivets as gifts at some point. 

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

Me, nope, never! 

giphy.gif

Lol. I found out there is a quilt and sewing expo a little over an hour from me today through Saturday. I talked DH into going with me on Saturday and honestly, I mostly want to go so I can try out some long arms. Which of course will just make me MORE covetous, lol. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm still working on stuff for my end of year program and starting on creating materials for summer camps. Right now, that's mostly spray painting buttons as a base and making designs in my CAD software so I can print/cut as needed. 

I have four theme weeks this summer (Disney (pre-reading piano/general music), Pokemon (music families/Primer Piano), Star Wars (level 1-2) piano/ensemble/composition) and Improvisation and composition (level 2+ piano), so there's lots of space for me to make cute games, try out crafts to do with the kids, and make themed materials. 

• Like 5

Took a break from sewing and painted wooden eggs with our elderly mothers. They loved it! Due to T being born premature and the hectic schedule going back and forth to Alabama to help, I haven't held a fun project time for them. They were very creative. I was NOT! 😂 But I will still post a photo of my finished product.

IMG_20230319_183030.jpg

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Took a break from sewing and painted wooden eggs with our elderly mothers. They loved it! Due to T being born premature and the hectic schedule going back and forth to Alabama to help, I haven't held a fun project time for them. They were very creative. I was NOT! 😂 But I will still post a photo of my finished product.

IMG_20230319_183030.jpg

Those are gorgeous!!!!!

12 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Those are gorgeous!!!!!

Thanks! It was all just free hand fun. I should have taken pictures of what the moms did. Granny did one with apple blossoms and another with pussy willows just on the fly, no pictures to look at or anything. My mom did some gorgeous butterflies on one, turned another into a really cute ladybug, and I think my favorite one she made look like blooming hostas. They each made six, and then were tired so they stuck me with eight to finish up the box, and I was the least creative soul of the three of us!

I could not believe how much they enjoyed painting, so I think that if I manage to make it to a craft store, I might pick up some porcelain chicks or some wood cut outs or something and have another paint day next weekend while our sons are home visiting. They have been wanting to paint some Celtic knots if I can find them. The grandmothers would LOVE to paint with their boys.

Today is back to sewing. I have a baby outfit and a baby quilt to complete before March 31 when we leave for baby shower out of town.

• Like 6

So, no new crafts since the quilt, but we went to a quilt expo a little over an hour away this weekend. Some of the quilts on display were AMAZING. REally neat exhibits. AND I got to put my hands on some long arm/mid arm machines! I tried the sit down and regular frame ones. I'm glad I tried them, because the smaller/less expensive one I thought I would like works on 4 wheels, and it was really less smooth than the one that runs on 8 wheels. 

I also found out that my skills (what they are) with free motion quilting on a machine, moving the fabric, do NOT translate to moving the machine instead, on a long arm frame. I was struggling to make decent swirls, etc. Then DH, that stinker, walks up and says he wants to try. This man has never even touched a sewing machine in his life, let alone a long arm. And he grabs the handles and proceeds to stitch/sketch a hippopotamus!!! I told him I hate him and he is disgustingly good at everything, lol. But seriously! He also drew/stitched an elephant and a turtle on other machines. Jerk, lol. 

However, I can't REALLY be mad, because he said once we know what is going on with my mom, and know if we need to help my parents out financially, he thinks we can afford the model I liked, on the 5ft hoop frame, and could make room for it in the school room!!! We could pay cash, but the retailers offer 60 month zero interest financing we'd likely take advantage of. I did NOT expect that!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

So, no new crafts since the quilt, but we went to a quilt expo a little over an hour away this weekend. Some of the quilts on display were AMAZING. REally neat exhibits. AND I got to put my hands on some long arm/mid arm machines! I tried the sit down and regular frame ones. I'm glad I tried them, because the smaller/less expensive one I thought I would like works on 4 wheels, and it was really less smooth than the one that runs on 8 wheels. 

I also found out that my skills (what they are) with free motion quilting on a machine, moving the fabric, do NOT translate to moving the machine instead, on a long arm frame. I was struggling to make decent swirls, etc. Then DH, that stinker, walks up and says he wants to try. This man has never even touched a sewing machine in his life, let alone a long arm. And he grabs the handles and proceeds to stitch/sketch a hippopotamus!!! I told him I hate him and he is disgustingly good at everything, lol. But seriously! He also drew/stitched an elephant and a turtle on other machines. Jerk, lol. 

However, I can't REALLY be mad, because he said once we know what is going on with my mom, and know if we need to help my parents out financially, he thinks we can afford the model I liked, on the 5ft hoop frame, and could make room for it in the school room!!! We could pay cash, but the retailers offer 60 month zero interest financing we'd likely take advantage of. I did NOT expect that!!!

And now I will live vicariously through you! 😁