Menu

"I may have accidentally spilled some canned mackerel juice on the cat, and have a nice day."

Spy Car

You could (in theory) give the cat a bath... My MIL has done this I have not. They sell wipes for cats or baby wipes you can try to wipe the cat down to see if it makes it good enough. My cats don't like their bums wiped this way but they don't mind their body so much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, happi duck said:

If kitty can reach it'll eventually be taken care of naturally!  

7 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I’m sure the cat is pretty thrilled about this development.  

Yes! As soon as I read the title I pictured @Spy Car's  cat excessively cleaning himself. If anyone is happy about this it's the cat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So I got home, and Desmond didn't smell quite as bad. I guess a little self grooming took place in my absence?

Still a little funky.

So I decided to go where no man has gone before (not this one anyway) and try to bathe the cat.

But decided to try "the easy way" first. Got him rocking upside in my arms (baby hold), petted his favorite spots, got the purring going, and once he was "blissed out" I did a nice sponge bath with soap, hot water, and a microfiber towel (while continuing to rock him).

Got in a pretty good sponge bath.

I think Desmond is the best cat ever. 

Of course he's "the only cat ever," but don't tell him that.

After he dries I will do a sniff test.

Bill (who has no intention of asking how one "accidentally" spills tinned mackerel juice on a cat :tongue: )

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Our cat came home yesterday smelling so strong of urine that he stunk up an entire room. By this morning, he was fresh as a dandy. I can only assume he took care of it himself. Hopefully, yours will have a very enjoyable and tasty time taking care of it himself.

ETA: just saw you gave him a bath. You are a very brave man. Very brave!

Edited by stephanier.1765
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Our cat came home yesterday smelling so strong of urine that he stunk up an entire room. By this morning, he was fresh as a dandy. I can only assume he took care of it himself. Hopefully, yours will have a very enjoyable and tasty time taking care of it himself.

They are awfully good self-groomers.

Desmond always smells fresh. Except for today.

How's your little guy doing today?

Bill

Just now, Spy Car said:

They are awfully good self-groomers.

Desmond always smells fresh. Except for today.

How's your little guy doing today?

Bill

He was back to his regular sweet self this morning but now he's back in hiding. He'll come out, see me, and run back to his hidey hole. Hopefully, he's just having a case of the weirdos, which not an unusual trait for him.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

He was back to his regular sweet self this morning but now he's back in hiding. He'll come out, see me, and run back to his hidey hole. Hopefully, he's just having a case of the weirdos, which not an unusual trait for him.

Hopefully he heals quickly and he just gets sweeter than ever.

I'm kinda warming up to felines.

😻

Who knew?

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
Either my typing skills are terrible, or my mind is going
  • Like 7
  • Haha 4

So guess what-ever-so-slightly damp cat just jumped in my lap for a little loving?

Did a quick sniff. I'm surprised, but I do think this did the trick.

I think I'll play this off later with complete nonchalance. 

"Oh yeah, just gave him a little sponge bath, no problem."

👍

Bill

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

So guess what-ever-so-slightly damp cat just jumped in my lap for a little loving?

Did a quick sniff. I'm surprised, but I do think this did the trick.

I think I'll play this off later with complete nonchalance. 

"Oh yeah, just gave him a little sponge bath, no problem."

👍

Bill

I'm impressed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

ETA: just saw you gave him a bath. You are a very brave man. Very brave!

I figured out how to "mesmerize" Desmond by massaging all his favorite spots. He starts purring, then the purring goes into overdrive, then "bang!" Time to act.

It isn't really "fair," but a man has to do what a man has to do.

By the time he came out of his euphoria (and realized he was pissed about getting a sponge bath) it was basically over  :tongue:

Bill (who is getting the hang of dealing with a feline)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Katy said:

I mean the alternative is to give him a bath yourself, and no one wants that. Looking forward to new cat pictures!

My mom once had a cat she occasionally bathed. She had never had a pet cat before and just assumed you would bathe it like a dog. Strangely this cat tolerated a (very short) wash. 

• Haha 2

I had a situation once that I wish had been mackerel juice. A mouse got into the apartment and my cat was in pursuit. It was a rental and I didn’t want stains on the light colored carpet. I grabbed an empty laundry detergent jug from the bin. I uncapped it and tilted it toward the mouse who ran right inside. I recapped and thought it was a successful removal. Then I realized that empty detergent jugs are not truly empty. It had dripped on the cat. Luckily it was on top of head and neck, so she couldn’t clean it and poison herself. I had to repeatedly rinse her until she stopped sudsing. Plus she was still stressed about losing the mouse.

PS. I had to call in late to work. Luckily my boss lived on a farm and this wasn’t the craziest excuse she had heard.

Edited by Acorn
  • Haha 8

9 hours ago, Grace Hopper said:

My mom once had a cat she occasionally bathed. She had never had a pet cat before and just assumed you would bathe it like a dog. Strangely this cat tolerated a (very short) wash. 

I had a ragdoll. They are lovely in that they are hypoallergenic because they don’t bathe themselves. OTOH, they don’t bathe themselves so the few times he got diarrhea or into something stinky, I’d give him a bath like a dog. He mewed/cried so loudly one time the neighbor asked about my new baby. 

• Haha 2