Menu

February Winter Gardens: come on in and chat for a spell. What's up?

Faith-manor

Yesterday I made vegetarian (lentil, rice, onion, dill) stuffed peppers and a salad for dinner.

I could see that Mrs Spy Car seems quite content with the offerings, so I asked, "how's the salad?" Of course, the query came  just as she took a big bite, so she only managed to get out a muffled, "Delicious."

"Fresh baby greens," said I.

Having finished her bite, she asked, "Where did you get them?"

"Locally-sourced organics," said I.

"Are these dandelion greens from the yard?"

Hee hee. She knows me too well.

Between letting the dandelion crop go during the initial "lockdown," and the bountiful winter rains here in CA, I have a lot of "baby greens."

February is LA is pretty much the start of "Spring." The Rosemary is blooming. Lavender is close behind. Many of the roses, including some old-fashioned once-bloomers, such as the Madame Alfred Carriere climbing roses are in bloom due the rains.

I have so much work to do.

Bill 

Edited by Spy Car
Typing is not my greatest skill
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

This isn’t garden related, but here in NC all the trees are budding and I’m so happy to see that. We do have daffodils on the way, and it’s almost time to trim the monkey grass down so the new ones can pop out. Looking forward to seeing what color my hydrangeas will be. I only planted them last spring and I’ve never had those before. I’m wondering if they will be a different color from last year as they’ve had time to adjust to their new soil ph. 

• Like 2

Just now, Indigo Blue said:

@Spy Caris there a way to make tea from the dandelions? Isn’t dandelion tea a thing? I would absolutely love to try dandelion greens. Don’t know if we have enough for that, though. 

I've heard of such a thing--buried in the recesses of my mind.

I suppose a Google search is in order?

I suppose if someone can drink peanut butter coffee....

The dandelions, especially now when they are so tender, really do make a nice salad.

But you would not believe "the crop." It isn't like I have a few here and there. 

Bill

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spy Car said:

I've heard of such a thing--buried in the recesses of my mind.

I suppose a Google search is in order?

I suppose if someone can drink peanut butter coffee....

The dandelions, especially now when they are so tender, really do make a nice salad.

But you would not believe "the crop." It isn't like I have a few here and there. 

Bill

Wow. Are the flower parts edible? 

13 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Ok just checked. Yes they are! And they contain lutein and zeaxanthin. Eye vitamins! 

During the first growing season of "lockdown," I had some dandelion plants grow to be over 8 feet tall. No kidding.

I kept harvesting them from the bottom leaves and the plants pushed continually upwards. They were somewhat hard to recognize as dandelion plants at that juncture.

@Rosie_0801 would approve.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

@Spy Caris there a way to make tea from the dandelions? Isn’t dandelion tea a thing? I would absolutely love to try dandelion greens. Don’t know if we have enough for that, though. 

Tea and wine.  The tea is a unique flavor that I find tasty but I like barley tea.  I don’t drink but I hear the wine is quite good.  

Besides the flowers being edible, they make a great dye. 

• Thanks 2

I took a 'wild edible' class once and we learned to make dandelion fritters.  Dip the dandelion flower in a batter (like for onion rings) and fry them in a little oil.   They were tasty (but isn't everything tasty when you fry them in oil?). We also fried the roots until golden brown. They became crunchy and would be  a good snack or maybe on salads.   Dandelion tea helps to clear toxins out of the liver.

I don't get many dandelions because we don't have many or they have been sprayed with weed killer.  VERY important that the dandelions ya'll are eating haven't been treated with weed killer, even from the previous season (like my neighbor  who puts weed killer down in the fall before the snow hits.) It's easy to forget  that whatever returns have been treated.  Lucky for you, Bill, that you have such wonderful dandelion greens!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ***** said:

I took a 'wild edible' class once and we learned to make dandelion fritters.  Dip the dandelion flower in a batter (like for onion rings) and fry them in a little oil.   They were tasty (but isn't everything tasty when you fry them in oil?). We also fried the roots until golden brown. They became crunchy and would be  a good snack or maybe on salads.   Dandelion tea helps to clear toxins out of the liver.

I don't get many dandelions because we don't have many or they have been sprayed with weed killer.  VERY important that the dandelions ya'll are eating haven't been treated with weed killer, even from the previous season (like my neighbor  who puts weed killer down in the fall before the snow hits.) It's easy to forget  that whatever returns have been treated.  Lucky for you, Bill, that you have such wonderful dandelion greens!

This is interesting. DD3 has always had an interest in foraging, so she's tried lots of ways of preparing dandelions. The roots (if I recall correctly) were very bitter. I'll have to share this with her. 🙂

We do use pre-emergent in our front and side yards, but dh and I have an agreement that the fenced in back yard is a no chemical/pesticide zone. This year I even asked him not to blow the leaves. We are fortunate that the way our lot lies, we don't get neighbors' run off either. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

I may become obsessed with hydroponics. My lettuce is thriving in my diy set up. I’m so happy at the thought of being able to grow lettuce in the heat of summer! 

I think I’ll make one more. It will be more shallow—more like an Aerogarden than DWC. I can tell this deep container is over kill for lettuce. I could do lettuce in the shallow container and experiment with tomatoes in the deep container. 

In other news… I’m super frustrated at certain seedlings. My purple basil, viola, and allysum in particular. I’ve lost half to damping off. They just stopped growing. I planted these guys last fall! I have fertilized. I have an oscillating fan on them. I put them outside on nice days. They are under lights. What am I doing wrong? 

I suspect that amateurs like me can’t cheat Mother Nature— Trying to get a head start and have bigger plants to put out in spring. 

Other things I started indoors last fall are doing great though: oregano, rosemary, thyme, celery…all looking great. Nice sized plants. I mean… I lost some, but the plants that survived kept growing. Unlike the above mentioned that have just…Stopped. All. Growth.

The Aerogarden works so well—I’m tempted to buy a big one just for starting seeds. No damping off so far in the Aerogarden. I don’t get it.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 4

I did a thing! I did a thing! I did a thing!

I started another basil plant from an offshoot of the original. I know have two basil plants in the window, and both are healthy. I am a reformed, botanical serial murderer!

💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃💃

Apart from that, I am still in a holding pattern for planting. Our risk of frost doesn't even end until mid-May. I have 32 reusable starter pots though, and will start my San marzano and cherry tomatoes, broccoli, bell peppers, and cucumbers indoors the 3rd week of March and transplant them to the raised beds the end of the 2nd week of May. I have a whole bunch of cheap, white gossamer left from doing backdrops for weddings back when I did event planning. I am going to use that for frost barrier on the raised beds.

Mark tried his hand at starting a pineapple from the top of a pineapple he ate a couple weeks ago. It doesn't look good, and is not producing roots (he has it in water) so I think that experiment will be a dud.

I am a little concerned that my leaf pile does not seem to be composting at all well. o may get some compost accelerator to add to it when it begins warming up. I am a total newbie at composting so I am kind of winging it.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Eos said:

My mother has a beautiful white forsythia that is blooming right now.  It smells like jasmine and has a very woody aspect.  It wouldn't grow in my world but I love it.

Oh, that sounds beautiful!  All I have ever seen are yellow forsythia. Mine are getting ready to bloom, probably in the next few days.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, popmom said:

The Aerogarden works so well—I’m tempted to buy a big one just for starting seeds. No damping off so far in the Aerogarden. I don’t get it.

I love using my Aerogarden for starting seeds. I also like their grow lights which I use for overwintering certain plants.

Regarding dandelions, there’s a restaurant in the Andersonville neighborhood of Chicago called M Henry that uses them in one of their omelets along with caramelized shallots, leeks and fontinella cheese. I order that whenever I go there and had one just the other day actually. So good.

A few buildings north is an amazing garden center called Gethsemane which sells many hard-to-find plants. I was hoping they’d carry blood leaf plants but nope. Might have to order them online. If you’re ever in Chicago, the Andersonville business district is fun to explore. Lots of unique places.

I won’t be planting anything outdoors here until March but soon will be selectively pruning about 50 sad looking, long neglected yews. All legs and big shoulders. They are such a mess but I love watching gardens transform.

Edited by BeachGal
  • Like 3

I HATE SQUIRRELS

They dug up and stole my husband's grandfather's Peony. We absolutely will be going out to liberate the other one from the neglect. Thankfully, I marked where it was located last year. 

In other news I learned a new term Cloche. A chicken wire Cloche is basically a cheap metal mesh trashcan turned upside to protect plants. I will be hitting up the dollar store to find trash cans that I will add to my collect of things I use to protect plants from squirrels.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, SHP said:

I HATE SQUIRRELS

They dug up and stole my husband's grandfather's Peony. We absolutely will be going out to liberate the other one from the neglect. Thankfully, I marked where it was located last year. 

In other news I learned a new term Cloche. A chicken wire Cloche is basically a cheap metal mesh trashcan turned upside to protect plants. I will be hitting up the dollar store to find trash cans that I will add to my collect of things I use to protect plants from squirrels.

Squirrels are wretched. Maybe slightly leas wretched ham ground hogs, but wretched nonetheless. Here, dh does dispatch them with an air pellet gun if necessary. We don't like to do it, but this year we are planning on seriously feeding ourselves and our young adult sons from the garden so need to prioritize. I just hope our other protective measures work so he doesn't have to do it. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, popmom said:

My Sam's Club has Aerogarden Harvest 360s marked down to $49 (in club only price). I'm so tempted to get another. It's this one.

That’s a good price. Does it come with the top for starting seeds?

I have a Bounty model, which came with nine plugs. The seed starting cover has 50 plugs, iirc, which lets me go crazy. lol That cover was about $25.

I think Costco sells one of them, too, maybe online.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SHP said:

I HATE SQUIRRELS

Oh no!!! Terrible squirrels. We had a squirrel sneak into one of our gardens and steal some of the plastic Easter eggs my neighbor hid for her grandsons. The thief was caught bringing one up to his nest.

Dollar Store might have clear, plastic cloches in stock that you can pin down using garden staples but wire trash cans would work well, too. Some of their garden items are great. I’m going in weekly to check out what’s arrived.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SHP said:

I HATE SQUIRRELS

I loathe squirrels.  They cause so much damage to my plants and yard.  We have very large wild hickory and walnut trees, and that is probably the reason we have a never-ending population of squirrels. We use the squirrelinator to trap them.  This thing really works!  I had doubts when my husband first bought it, but our record is three squirrels at one time.  Crazy!  Still, I'm not sure how much good it does, because more always take their place.

ETA:  I got some cloches for Christmas.   They were a top item on my list.

Edited by Serenade

We have a bunch of squirrels, but I've never noticed them causing problems. Perhaps that is because we also have chipmunks who do a LOT of excavating and rabbits that are relentless. I've wondered about finding an outdoor dog I could rent occasionally to see if I could chase those pests away .....

• Like 1

We have rats!

I live in a complex of buildings and we have two neighboring restaurants that almost abut the exterior walls of two of our buildings. The rats are attracted to the food waste. We also have huge beds of neglected ivy and purple wintercreeper, about 6” thick of never thinned woody vines that are loaded with layers of litter. That’s another major project I’ve been working on. So much wintercreeper… (Last year I found a five carat princess cut diamond stone in one bed — woohoo! — but it turned out to be fake. It’s very pretty, though, and can cut glass.) Anyway, those beds are where the rats like to make their homes.

Our complex is able to keep them at bay with a resident (once) feral cat who has scared most of them away but apparently some bold or unaware ratties have moved in recently. Our little hunter is a sassy one and very protective of her space so they will probably be looking to live elsewhere very soon. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miss Tick said:

We have a bunch of squirrels, but I've never noticed them causing problems. Perhaps that is because we also have chipmunks who do a LOT of excavating and rabbits that are relentless. I've wondered about finding an outdoor dog I could rent occasionally to see if I could chase those pests away .....

The Chicago Botanic Garden, which is in a northern suburb, has at least one dog whose job is to chase away critters very early in the morning. I have rarely seen any squirrels, chipmunks or rabbits so he must do a good job.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BeachGal said:

Oh no!!! Terrible squirrels. We had a squirrel sneak into one of our gardens and steal some of the plastic Easter eggs my neighbor hid for her grandsons. The thief was caught bringing one up to his nest.

Dollar Store might have clear, plastic cloches in stock that you can pin down using garden staples but wire trash cans would work well, too. Some of their garden items are great. I’m going in weekly to check out what’s arrived.

I had not even thought about checking Dollar Tree. We have a snow/ice event coming tonight, but when it clears, I am going to head over there.

2 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I had not even thought about checking Dollar Tree. We have a snow/ice event coming tonight, but when it clears, I am going to head over there.

I bought about a dozen recently. For plastic they are pretty decent but the huge label is a royal pita to get off. Oil doesn’t work well. Heat melts the plastic. So, I'm left with very carefully scraping and pulling them off bit by bit by itty bitty bit. I have finished five. “Only” seven more to go. Maddening. lol

• Haha 1

The green eyed monster of envy would like to say that having conversed with its sister who resides in Nice, France and discovered that said sibling has tiny tomato plants already growing in the apartment/condo, soon to be set out in her community garden patch, has set off a hatred of Michigan winter stronger than ever before felt by the monster who has historically enjoyed four seasons. 😫 Oh and sage, rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, green bean, mini zucchini, spaghetti squash, and leeks as well. All of that. Now. In the Mediterranean. Sun. Blue skies. Blue water. Flowers blooming. Free community compost. How exactly is she living my monster's best life? 😵

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 2/16/2023 at 3:20 PM, BeachGal said:

I bought about a dozen recently. For plastic they are pretty decent but the huge label is a royal pita to get off. Oil doesn’t work well. Heat melts the plastic. So, I'm left with very carefully scraping and pulling them off bit by bit by itty bitty bit. I have finished five. “Only” seven more to go. Maddening. lol

How about trying Goo Gone?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinball said:

How about trying Goo Gone?

I have and even applied it multiple times and let it set overnight. The glue does not come off! Sooo frustrating. Otherwise, they are not so bad for $1.25. I’m trying to do one label per day. It’s about all the patience I can muster up!

Edited by BeachGal
  • Thanks 1

Every year when I reconfigure my raised beds I swear next year will be easier because I will just plant, not build. Every winter I decide to move things . . . not plants; actual beds. I have a problem. 

So I’m planning to move my herb bed this year 🤣 I’m daydreaming about building a cinderblock bed with a wood top and painting the blocks white.  I need to build a separate new bed dedicated solely to parsley because I never plant enough. This needs to be at least 2x6 and off the patio. 

I started my first milk jugs of the season yesterday and did kale, cabbage, lupines, and Columbine. 

I need to order more wild strawberry seeds because this has become my ground cover of choice and I need lots more of it. 

I need to put something around my central flower garden. For the last ten years It has been ringed by stumps of a huge oak that fell. These stumps are really breaking down and need to go into a raised bed and be replaced with landscaping blocks. I’m not going to want to build stuff for the rest of my life so I need to get away from wood. 

We really can’t count on being frost free til Mother’s Day, so I have time. 

• Like 2

Question because you all know everything, and I know nothing.

I have a lot of sticks and rotting logs left over from an old ash tree attacked by the emerald ash borer which killed the tree. The logs ate basically "gopher wood" so not good for heating, mostly campfire wood. I also have a ton of sticks from a variety of pines, maples, and oaks from the yard. Could these woods be used to fill the bottom of my raised beds, and then covered with top soil and compost as a sort of long term rotting/nutrient producer/huglekulture (sp?) quasi set up? There would still be roughly 18" of soil. I was thinking this might be more environmentally friendly than burning the brush pile. We can't put pine in he wood boiler. I could feed the oak to it though. It also occurred to me that if 18" of soil is not enough, since the raised beds aren't built yet, so could plow up the ground a bit where they are going to go so that the logs/sticks are maybe 6" into the ground, then set the raised bed over it and fill so there would be 24" ish of soil.

Thoughts? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Question because you all know everything, and I know nothing.

I have a lot of sticks and rotting logs left over from an old ash tree attacked by the emerald ash borer which killed the tree. The logs ate basically "gopher wood" so not good for heating, mostly campfire wood. I also have a ton of sticks from a variety of pines, maples, and oaks from the yard. Could these woods be used to fill the bottom of my raised beds, and then covered with top soil and compost as a sort of long term rotting/nutrient producer/huglekulture (sp?) quasi set up? There would still be roughly 18" of soil. I was thinking this might be more environmentally friendly than burning the brush pile. We can't put pine in he wood boiler. I could feed the oak to it though. It also occurred to me that if 18" of soil is not enough, since the raised beds aren't built yet, so could plow up the ground a bit where they are going to go so that the logs/sticks are maybe 6" into the ground, then set the raised bed over it and fill so there would be 24" ish of soil.

Thoughts? 

Absolutely. If you’re worried about them being too new and robbing nitrogen from your plants, you can toss some alfalfa pellets in there with them. Decomposing logs make great bed filler and wonderful soil down the line. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

Absolutely. If you’re worried about them being too new and robbing nitrogen from your plants, you can toss some alfalfa pellets in there with them. Decomposing logs make great bed filler and wonderful soil down the line. 

Thanks! I appreciate the advice. I am so excited about this because we are building 12 beds, and I have enough wood refuse to do the bottoms of all of those beds. I would so much rather use it in an environmentally healthy way to grow food than burn it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Thanks! I appreciate the advice. I am so excited about this because we are building 12 beds, and I have enough wood refuse to do the bottoms of all of those beds. I would so much rather use it in an environmentally healthy way to grow food than burn it.

We have EAB here, too, and the trees are fine to use as "regular" dead wood within the contamination zone, as long as they fully compost within that zone and do not move elsewhere (especially north). This from my cooperative extension agent when I asked same question a couple of years ago. 

We are dragging our feet to spend $$$ to take down some huge dead ones here. Ugh.

February Garden Notes: 

- tapping maple trees, and syruping is well under way, woo-hoo! (I know maples aren't technically a "garden," but we count this as 1st harvest each yr)

- winter sowing . . . got quite a few out, and will add to them throughout Feb

- vermicomposting worms surviving winter just fine, and I'm collecting & drying the compost little by little. Considering offering worms at our summer farmer's market this year.

- seeeeeeeeeds! ❤️ more and more and more seeeeeeeeds! ❤️  (received Orange Hat as a special gift this year - have never grown indoor tomatoes!?)

- sprouted fodder for chickens, 1st time this year - they like it, but it seems a bit boring for the gardener - eh, will likely continue

- learning winter foraging

- planning / moving raised (ROCK!) garden beds . . . sweat equity ahead! hoping to get some home schooling students to assist . . . 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

We have EAB here, too, and the trees are fine to use as "regular" dead wood within the contamination zone, as long as they fully compost within that zone and do not move elsewhere (especially north). This from my cooperative extension agent when I asked same question a couple of years ago. 

We are dragging our feet to spend $$$ to take down some huge dead ones here. Ugh.

We have the same thing, no transport from county to county. This was my mother in laws ash, six miles away well within our county. 

It is very speedy to take down trees with a tree company. The ash was in a place where we could easily fell it because it was no where near her house, and Mark was able to bring it down, and cut it up with the chain saw. But she has a dead pine that jus has to come down, and is way too close to her house for us to take down safely with our limited equipment. She is balking at the expenditure, however she is going to have to do it because it could easily end up damaging the house.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 7:39 PM, BeachGal said:

I have and even applied it multiple times and let it set overnight. The glue does not come off! Sooo frustrating. Otherwise, they are not so bad for $1.25. I’m trying to do one label per day. It’s about all the patience I can muster up!

I just used mine with the stickers on. 😂

I suspect this is an ADHD thing. I also am really bad to leave retail tags on stuff--forever--or unless someone else takes them off. My patio cushions still have their price tags on them. I have an art print that I got at Homegoods 3 years ago that still has the price sticker and corner cardboard on it. It's in the basement bathroom, so I forget about it. I found an old pottery barn basket that I bought in 2000, and it still had the tags attached! 🤣 Clearly I have a problem.

Edited by popmom
  • Haha 2

I have yet to find a good solution for gophers. There are all kinds of “recipes” out there, but trapping is the only thing I have seen really work.

When we lived in another state, moles came because we had a certain type of insect in our yard. There are different dynamics at play here. 

I am grateful for the aeration of my clay soil, but am 100% ready for them to move on. 

Have you ever seen the show The Windsors where at the time Prince Charles gets a pest in his yard and so he invites its enemy to come and it becomes a one-upsmanship of harmful beasts? I think I am ready for the neighborhood coyotes or bears to swing by.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, popmom said:

I just used mine with the stickers on. 😂

I suspect this is an ADHD thing. I also am really bad to leave retail tags on stuff--forever--or unless someone else takes them off. My patio cushions still have their price tags on them. I have an art print that I got at Homegoods 3 years ago that still has the price sticker and corner cardboard on it. It's in the basement bathroom, so I forget about it. I found an old pottery barn basket that I bought in 2000, and it still had the tags attached! 🤣 Clearly I have a problem.

I might very well do that, too. I am pretty sure peeling those labels off could be used to torture people. It's madness!

• Haha 1