Menu

Virus of the Month Club

JumpyTheFrog

DH figured it out. Somehow we have subscribed to a Virus of the Month Club. 

The members:

Me

DH - rarely gets more than the sniffles

DS1 - rarely even gets sniffly and never sick for more than for 2-3 days

DS2 - our chief virus procurer; allergies and asthma;

At Thanksgiving everyone but DH got sick. Then we all came down with Covid at Christmas. Stranglely, DS2 was only sick for about three days, while DS1 took 2 1/2 weeks to get all better. I've been sick for more than a month, and DH is at the four week mark. Now DS2 has picked up something else, and DS1 is starting to get sick again.

Can we unsubscribe to this club? This is harder to get out of than those old CD of the month clubs in the 90s!

• Sad 13

So sorry!  Yes, please find that unsubscribe button for sure!

My boys were both sick in December (obtained said sickness from different sources). They are both getting over something again. DS1 gave it is DS2 this time. DS2 is not pleased!

DS1 used to not get as sick as DS2, but that seems to be changing.

I guess they are being prepared for their first semester away at college when I'm sure they will pick up all kinds of yuck 🤪!

I make them isolate in the house when they are sick so DH and I have been good so far (fingers crossed). Don't worry, they aren't tortured or anything and have access to tv, PCs, phones, and their school work. Plus they are served all their meals by me daily -- LOL.

I’m so sorry you all are ill. Inhalers and allergy medications do kind of help for cold/lung related illnesses which might be why your DS2 recovers faster. 

ETA: @mlktwins I have been plying my boys with a cup of honey daily as the weather is drying. Seems to help. I just use the honey in the bear bottle from Costco or any honey I have at home.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Thanks 1

I've never seen so many adults sick as I have this winter. It started the first week of November. Each week I wonder who'll miss soccer. Sometimes it's multiple people. Of course, I've missed an entire month now. I think my teammates may start to wonder if I died and am emailing them game reminders from the grave.

Sorry your family has been sick for so long.  I have come to really dislike January because 1. It’s too cold and 2. We always get sick. My FB memories are always about illness.  Activities are always getting canceled in January because of illness (even before Covid).  Even if we miss the post-Christmas illness, we will still get sick before the month is over.  This year is one where we had done better, but 6yo dd started running a fever in the night.  Here we go with January Illness 2023 edition.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

We have had two people with colds this year. We isolated them and it didn’t spread. We’re still masking everywhere with crowds indoors. Maybe it’s that or maybe because we haven’t had covid or maybe we’re just lucky. I feel like I may never stop masking.

Yeah, I’m so sick of being one of the few people wearing a mask, especially while visiting with friends, and having to go outside anytime I want to take a drink or eat something, but the fact that we haven’t been sick in almost three years now is a pretty strong silver lining to that at least.

I hope you can find that unsubscribe button, JumpyFrog! We had a year like that when the kids were all little and that is miserable. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 73349 said:

Once people have had Covid, they're apparently more susceptible to anything else. I saw this today: https://jessicawildfire.substack.com/p/the-gig-is-up-and-it-feels-weird

I have been suspecting this. I am trying to rebuild the immune system of my three year old grandson. He had covid in May, a concerning case but then seemed to rebound. However, since mid-November, he has only had one week that he wasn't sick with some sort of virus. One week. That is it. If I were a Silent Generation mother, I would be convinced that my child had suffered measles without me knowing it because it has that same wiping out the immune system feel to it.

And of course no one has any answers. None. They are masking again which is good, and I am trying to emphasize hand washing. In the absence of anything constructive from the pediatrician and convinced that most of the "natural" advice is voodoo, I am doing the five things that I hope are common sense helps. Emphasizing nutrient dense foods, organic vitamin C gummies, organic vitamin D3 gummies, fresh air and sunshine when it actually presents itself (hard to do in winter), and rest when I can get him to take extra naps or go to bed early.

This is absolutely, literally, life and death. His little brother was born yesterday, six weeks premature, and is in the NICU. We don't know how long T will be in the hospital, but when he comes home, one of his big brother's viruses could endanger his little life. So if I said I was absolutely stressed about it, that would be the understatement of the century!

On top of which, Dd was pregnant (but didn't know it) when she contracted covid, and though we killed ourselves providing modified bed rest and high nutrition for months in the hopes of warding off what looked like this past summer, long covid, this could cause her to relapse. I never talked about her pregnancy on WTM, just our battle with long covid and helping her because I truly did not expect the baby to survive, and wasn't in the mood to talk about that. But here we are. He is stable enough to believe that he will eventually come home, and I am very frightened.

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

I have been suspecting this. I am trying to rebuild the immune system of my three year old grandson. He had covid in May, a concerning case but then seemed to rebound. However, since mid-November, he has only had one week that he wasn't sick with some sort of virus. One week. That is it. If I were a Silent Generation mother, I would be convinced that my child had suffered measles without me knowing it because it has that same wiping out the immune system feel to it.

And of course no one has any answers. None. They are masking again which is good, and I am trying to emphasize hand washing. In the absence of anything constructive from the pediatrician and convinced that most of the "natural" advice is voodoo, I am doing the five things that I hope are common sense helps. Emphasizing nutrient dense foods, organic vitamin C gummies, organic vitamin D3 gummies, fresh air and sunshine when it actually presents itself (hard to do in winter), and rest when I can get him to take extra naps or go to bed early.

This is absolutely, literally, life and death. His little brother was born yesterday, six weeks premature, and is in the NICU. We don't know how long T will be in the hospital, but when he comes home, one of his big brother's viruses could endanger his little life. So if I said I was absolutely stressed about it, that would be the understatement of the century!

On top of which, Dd was pregnant (but didn't know it) when she contracted covid, and though we killed ourselves providing modified bed rest and high nutrition for months in the hopes of warding off what looked like this past summer, long covid, this could cause her to relapse. I never talked about her pregnancy on WTM, just our battle with long covid and helping her because I truly did not expect the baby to survive, and wasn't in the mood to talk about that. But here we are. He is stable enough to believe that he will eventually come home, and I am very frightened.

I am so sorry! My anecdotal observation with my tutor kids is most of them seemed to get less sick in the last term of school (roughly six months post covid or a bit longer) 

Unfortunately they’re getting covid for the second time now 😞 

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Sad 1