Is "No." a complete sentence?

YaelAldrich

Is "No." a complete sentence?   

57 members have voted

1. 1. Is "No." a complete sentence?

• Yes
    • No
    • Squirrel!

We always say that here. If you don't want to do something, just say no. But my DH were talking about this today on our Shabbos afternoon walk and he said "No." can't be a complete sentence. I countered with "Stop." Implied (you) as the subject and stop as the predicate. He said no isn't a verb. 

What says you Oh Holy Hive Mind? 

He's bringing the question to his many Twitter followers. 

Edited by YaelAldrich
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I responded before realizing that this was a grammar question, LOL.

I seem to remember reading a whole analysis of this somewhere, and I think the conclusion was that "no" is in fact a complete sentence, but I don't remember the logic.

• Like 3

I'm with @SKL here -- is the question about substance, or grammatical parsing?

"No" is a complete expression of intent.  On substance, it's complete.  On grammar, I would concur with your husband's observation that "no" is not a verb.  However I would further observe that "No" is a response to a question, implied or explicit; and the referent question presumably has both subject and verb (ie can I take the car on Sunday?  shall we invite the neighbors over for Shabbat lunch?  etc)

The correct answer, therefore, is Squirrel.

• Like 4
  • Haha 12

Yes.  I think in No is a complete sentence in English. In Welsh, there is no overarching word for No or Yes, and so a response to the question “Do you like bananas?” is “I do” or “I don’t”.  “Can I borrow the car?” “You can’t”. Welsh grammar generally requires a response to have a verb, but English does not, and so I think No is a complete English sentence. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I voted no 🤣

That said, I suppose it might be considered a complete sentence if the sentence part of the sentence is assumed. 

The people who insist that "no is a complete sentence" however don't seem to be saying this exactly.  They seem to be saying that it is ok to say no without giving a reason, which isn't a grammar thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interjection!

My favorite Schoolhouse Rock episode!  I'll be singing this all day.  

Funny story.  My sister is married to a musician (jazz/bar pianist.)  Several years ago, he got tickets for them to see Bob Dorough, but she didn't recognize the name.  Her husband just said he was a jazz musician and she was just going along to please him.    He played some jazzy pieces for the first part of the concert then played this song.  The lightbulb went on as the whole place sang along.  She had a blast and said it was one of the most fun concerts she ever saw.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Eilonwy said:

Yes.  I think in No is a complete sentence in English. In Welsh, there is no overarching word for No or Yes, and so a response to the question “Do you like bananas?” is “I do” or “I don’t”.  “Can I borrow the car?” “You can’t”. Welsh grammar generally requires a response to have a verb, but English does not, and so I think No is a complete English sentence. 

Very interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1